Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty...

Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty in theft case

There are 125 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 18, 2009, titled Ex-Torrance city workers plead guilty in theft case. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Four former Torrance parks and recreation employees have pleaded guilty to grand theft for their roles in a scheme that cost the city more than $58,000, prosecutors said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

swimmer

Lakewood, CA

#28 Sep 19, 2009
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>He is a theif of taxpayers money which makes him a bad guy.
Yeah about that. Do you know how much of taxpayers money is wasted by the government? This 58k over 7 years is a drop in the bucket. Yeah sure it was a mistake and it was illegal... but so are a lot of things. Just because someone has tried drugs does not necessarily make them a bad person, yet you will agree with me that drugs are illegal.

If you had a personal relationship with them maybe you would understand - I am defending him as I would defend a family member or good friend. But I'm not sure you comprehend just how much work Jeff Klotz put into the swim team and just how much he cared about his swimmers. It's just not something I can explain with words really. Just don't judge someone by their worst actions without knowing their best.
socal

Ventura, CA

#29 Sep 19, 2009
seriously people.. everyone gets so riled up about trivial things but never to "the man" . these people couldnt hurt a fly . lets put all our energy in the more important/relevant things that are happening in the world right now...
Searchlight

Los Angeles, CA

#30 Sep 20, 2009
I'm sorry but this is not the way to hand out justice to the public. This deal smells more like an "insiders sanctuary."
swimmer

Lakewood, CA

#31 Sep 20, 2009
socal wrote:
seriously people.. everyone gets so riled up about trivial things but never to "the man" . these people couldnt hurt a fly . lets put all our energy in the more important/relevant things that are happening in the world right now...
seriously... i mean did you hear about the Yale grad student that went missing and was found in a wall? It's these kind of things that we need to worry about.
sue

United States

#32 Sep 20, 2009
swimmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah about that. Do you know how much of taxpayers money is wasted by the government? This 58k over 7 years is a drop in the bucket. Yeah sure it was a mistake and it was illegal... but so are a lot of things. Just because someone has tried drugs does not necessarily make them a bad person, yet you will agree with me that drugs are illegal.
If you had a personal relationship with them maybe you would understand - I am defending him as I would defend a family member or good friend. But I'm not sure you comprehend just how much work Jeff Klotz put into the swim team and just how much he cared about his swimmers. It's just not something I can explain with words really. Just don't judge someone by their worst actions without knowing their best.
So, the harder you work, the more you get to steal?

Now there's a life lesson.
swimmer

Lakewood, CA

#33 Sep 20, 2009
sue wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the harder you work, the more you get to steal?
Now there's a life lesson.
I'm sorry, where did i ever say that in what i wrote....? just wondering. because i did say that what they did was wrong.
CityWithAHometow nFeel

Santa Monica, CA

#34 Sep 20, 2009
Just to put some scope on this... Roughly 7 years, 4 people (excluding an unknown number of others not convicted), and $58,000 total. Averaging everything over those seven years and treating all four criminals equally, that works out to a little over $2,000 per person per year, or about $40 a week per person. Obviously the scam didn't involve a steady $40/week but it looks like the scale was generally very small on a per week basis. Stupid. Just throwing away their careers for chump change.
Taxpaying American

Alamo, TX

#35 Sep 20, 2009
lmt wrote:
From this, our children can learn that, in Torrance, crime does pay!
Not in some cases.
lmt

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#36 Sep 20, 2009
Taxpaying American wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in some cases.
It lasted a lot longer and there was a LOT more money involved. It wasn't chump change. Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
Taxpaying American

Alamo, TX

#37 Sep 20, 2009
lmt wrote:
<quoted text>
It lasted a lot longer and there was a LOT more money involved. It wasn't chump change. Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
I meant that Torrance does not always get the crooks. They let them go. But, I do believe what you say.
CityWithAHometow nFeel

Santa Monica, CA

#38 Sep 20, 2009
lmt wrote:
<quoted text>
Please enlighten us.
t town

Hawthorne, CA

#40 Sep 20, 2009
gene leroy and john werent involved in this go talk to the DA ofc their investigators dug and dug they got the 4 people involved well one guy changed his name too so 5 what an ordeal
Pierre

Bourg-la-reine, France

#41 Sep 21, 2009
It's always Torrance!

Should investigates TPD for overtime abuses, especially in year before retirement!

WAKE UP TORRANCE
torrance follower

Los Angeles, CA

#42 Sep 21, 2009
Finally! Long over due. These men should all rot in hell. May their crimes ruin their lives forever..
Cheats of the Rec Dep

Irvine, CA

#43 Sep 21, 2009
This story was not viewable when it came out on Saturday (on the web site). I bet the City did not want to be!!! Dan even dated employees while he managed the pool; hired his own family at the pool, hired everyone from SPPY, giving no chance to others and never did his job. Even at a City raffle for The Turkey Trot the winners of the raffle were those on his swim team!!! The recreation department needs to be cleaned out and all of the cheater removed.
socal

Ventura, CA

#44 Sep 21, 2009
looks like someone here doesnt believe in forgiveness/ second chances but does believe in heaven/hell

HMMMM.....
torrance follower wrote:
Finally! Long over due. These men should all rot in hell. May their crimes ruin their lives forever..
Chip

Westminster, CA

#45 Sep 21, 2009
Earlier this year, I googled Dan Halladay and
found that he had TWO jobs as a swim coach at
colleges in the Valley and Orange County. I just
googled again - and he is a coach at UCLA! What
a loser and coverup this who thing is! He was still able to retire and get his full state pension! Nice going City of Torrance!
fellow citizen

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#46 Sep 21, 2009
Cheats of the Rec Dep wrote:
This story was not viewable when it came out on Saturday (on the web site). I bet the City did not want to be!!! Dan even dated employees while he managed the pool; hired his own family at the pool, hired everyone from SPPY, giving no chance to others and never did his job. Even at a City raffle for The Turkey Trot the winners of the raffle were those on his swim team!!! The recreation department needs to be cleaned out and all of the cheater removed.
Believe you me the recreation department has been cleaned out!!!! And they are doing everything they can to keep this from happening again.
Joey

Irvine, CA

#47 Sep 22, 2009
No the rec department has not been cleaned out!!! Who's the department head ???? Same crap is still going on; just different players.
Torrance parent

Los Angeles, CA

#48 Sep 22, 2009
I doubt they will be coaching for long. USA SWIMMING
doesn't allow felons to be coaching. If any of these so called coaches appear on deck USA SWIMMING will be getting a call..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five Glendale police officers file suit against... (Jan '10) 5 hr Susan 535
Best Furniture Store in Torrance Mon musttoast 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Redondo Beach (Oct '15) Mon Sean 41
Kroenke and Rams Suck Mon OJ s 1
Kaia Williams, KK, Kathy, Kathleen Ann Williams Aug 15 Richard 2
News Selena Gomez drastically changes her look for tour Aug 15 Carol the Pope - ... 6
News Victor Hugo Zayas at the Museum of Latin Americ... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Pedro 2

El Segundo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Segundo Mortgages