3 charged with 2006 campaign violatio...

3 charged with 2006 campaign violations in Torrance

There are 34 comments on the Daily Breeze story from May 18, 2008, titled 3 charged with 2006 campaign violations in Torrance. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

For the first time in Torrance history, misdemeanor charges alleging campaign finance violations have been brought against three people involved in a city election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Another Gould Loser

Fontana, CA

#1 May 18, 2008
David Gould is also listed as the campaign treasurer of failed 2007 Manhattan Beach City Council candidate David Lesser (still listed on Lesser's website at www.DavidLesser4mb.com ). When will they learn, big money doesn't *buy* local elections!
Karson citizen

Torrance, CA

#2 May 18, 2008
Wow, Fred Woosher is now on the other side. He is defending for some folks who have really committed a crime. Good Luck. If it says no contributions over $1000.00 thats what it means. $1900.00 is well over that amount. Pay the piper, cheaters.
TIP ICEBERG

Los Angeles, CA

#3 May 18, 2008
DA NEXT ... Look out below Dannie Jeannie Allenie
Your Next!Me Think.
City Politics

United States

#4 May 18, 2008
Something about this case smells of bully tactics and possible prosecutorial bad judgment. I am assuming for the moment the allegations of those mentioned is correct and should warrant the necessary review and action if found guilty. What disturbs me in this instance is that the city prosecutor is the city attorney, who reports to Mayor Scotto.
If there is ever a case that should be referred to someone else to handle, this is it, for the city attorney represents both city employees and the mayor. Scotto has been very public that he will GET EVEN with these folks because they supported his opponent during the last mayor’s race.
Bringing this action forward two weeks before an election where Scotto is endorsing four candidates on a platform of ethics really stinks. Where is the transparency that Scotto keeps talking about?
This has all the markings of prosecutorial abuse mixed up in small town politics of a vindictive mayor. It makes the city attorney’s office look like a tool to settle some old political scores. In the long run, the staff of the City of Torrance, including the City Attorney will start to have the smell of dirty politics that seems to originate from Mayor Frank Scotto.
Seconding City Politics

Hilo, HI

#5 May 18, 2008
City Politics: I read the article and had the same thoughts that you expressed. Thanks for saving me the time of responding. Now, I think I will go out and enjoy this beautiful weather.
City Politics wrote:
Something about this case smells of bully tactics and possible prosecutorial bad judgment. I am assuming for the moment the allegations of those mentioned is correct and should warrant the necessary review and action if found guilty. What disturbs me in this instance is that the city prosecutor is the city attorney, who reports to Mayor Scotto.
If there is ever a case that should be referred to someone else to handle, this is it, for the city attorney represents both city employees and the mayor. Scotto has been very public that he will GET EVEN with these folks because they supported his opponent during the last mayor’s race.
Bringing this action forward two weeks before an election where Scotto is endorsing four candidates on a platform of ethics really stinks. Where is the transparency that Scotto keeps talking about?
This has all the markings of prosecutorial abuse mixed up in small town politics of a vindictive mayor. It makes the city attorney’s office look like a tool to settle some old political scores. In the long run, the staff of the City of Torrance, including the City Attorney will start to have the smell of dirty politics that seems to originate from Mayor Frank Scotto.
Walker

United States

#6 May 18, 2008
Wow Torrance really has become 'Mississipi by the sea' when the city prosecutor files charges against opponents of the current mayor. OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK WITH CHILDISH GAMES.

This should have been presented to the DA's office public integrity unit first. Some should determine if it was and see what the DAs decision was.
Walker

United States

#7 May 18, 2008
To : Seconding city politics.
You are correct.

The the city prosecutor is "A tool".
Outsider

United States

#9 May 18, 2008
Maybe if Kenny would have left his paperwork in the car and then had it stolen he wouldn't be facing the possible punishment of $1000 and up to 6 months as Buba's roommate.
Just the latest

Beverly Hills, CA

#10 May 18, 2008
Walker and his buddies at it again. Kenny Evans was an AFSCME/Walker shill and he broke the rules...just like Walker did...just like Guyton, and Lieu and Mauno did...and especially like AFSCME Local 1117 did. Jeannie Moorman has led that local to break the law multiple times with regards to political communications. Just the latest in a long line of AFSCME/Walker illegal moves.

And now she posts as "Fact check time" from Lakewood to defend her guy and slam Scotto and candidates with actual community involvement. Instead she will likely back Goodrich, the fake Iraq War veteran (who never served there) who is employed by the unions.

Why cant Jeannie and her local just disappear. I hear their membership is shrinking and this could be reality shortly.
FACTS

Beverly Hills, CA

#11 May 18, 2008
Check your facts Lakewood poster - TorranceTruth wasnt created by Pat Furey or any of the candidates who are running in this election. And it didnt create controversy - it ended the reign of the WORST.MAYOR.EVER. Dan Walker.
Not Above The Law

Fontana, CA

#12 May 18, 2008
Walker wrote:
Wow Torrance really has become 'Mississipi by the sea' when the city prosecutor files charges against opponents of the current mayor. OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK WITH CHILDISH GAMES.
This should have been presented to the DA's office public integrity unit first. Some should determine if it was and see what the DAs decision was.
You've got it all wrong - no one is above the law! No one! If you break the law, you must be prosecuted! Dirty money does not belong in elections! The people deserve better than that. Book 'em Dano! K
Walker

United States

#13 May 18, 2008
Not Above The Law wrote:
<quoted text>You've got it all wrong - no one is above the law! No one! If you break the law, you must be prosecuted! Dirty money does not belong in elections! The people deserve better than that. Book 'em Dano! K
Take a civics lesson bonehead ! Remember the concept of 'letter of the law vs. spirit of the law'? These laws weren't created so that the Mayor could disptach his flunkies to use them against the mayors 'enemies'. Certainly they weren't intended to address $900 discrepencies. This is a conspiracy intended to deprive the 'offenders' of their right to take part in the political process. Its very very transparent.

Here's something interesting for the Breeze, or Scottos opponents (I voted for him), to look into -

Was this matter presented to the DA public integrity unit for them to prosecute ?

It should have been for two reason.#1 the
obvious conflict of interest (Hmmm state bar
complaint against the city prosecutor?).#2 It
is the 'policy' to have the DAs office
prosecute election law violations.

If it was presented to the DA's office what was their
decision ?

They would have had an somewhat unbiased view
of the matter.

In the meantime 'above the law' get off yor high horse. For an interesting look into the mindset of our Mayor and his associates may I suggest the movie, "September Dawn" ? His and the city prosecutors perspectives may be that it's alright to do things that others may call 'wrong' if it serves a 'greater good'.
Bubba

Beverly Hills, CA

#14 May 18, 2008
Scotto says one thing and does another and so many believe his lies what a shame!

Good way to not focus on the problems in Torrance!

This should have been sent to the DA not the City Attorney. If The City Attorney is going after the democratic process, Why didn't he look into Scotto and Brewers asking for donations to approve projects in Torrance? That was sent to the District Attorney like this should have been!

Boss Hog Scotto needs to grow up just because he is the Mayor it dosen't give him the right to bully citizens and employees!
Fellows Number 1

United States

#15 May 18, 2008
John Fellows should be considered for a Judgeship
Perhaps thats in the works already.
God I hope so! Loyal Servant of ......
Ticker

AOL

#16 May 18, 2008
Didn't the union go after Scotto for some kind of misconduct ? Can't rememeber the details but my point is if the union thought it had something on Scotto I'm sure they would want it prosecuted.
Go Clinton

Manhattan Beach, CA

#18 May 19, 2008
Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a civics lesson bonehead ! Remember the concept of 'letter of the law vs. spirit of the law'? These laws weren't created so that the Mayor could disptach his flunkies to use them against the mayors 'enemies'. Certainly they weren't intended to address $900 discrepencies. This is a conspiracy intended to deprive the 'offenders' of their right to take part in the political process. Its very very transparent.
Here's something interesting for the Breeze, or Scottos opponents (I voted for him), to look into -
Was this matter presented to the DA public integrity unit for them to prosecute ?
It should have been for two reason.#1 the
obvious conflict of interest (Hmmm state bar
complaint against the city prosecutor?).#2 It
is the 'policy' to have the DAs office
prosecute election law violations.
If it was presented to the DA's office what was their
decision ?
They would have had an somewhat unbiased view
of the matter.
In the meantime 'above the law' get off yor high horse. For an interesting look into the mindset of our Mayor and his associates may I suggest the movie, "September Dawn" ? His and the city prosecutors perspectives may be that it's alright to do things that others may call 'wrong' if it serves a 'greater good'.
The law is the law! Just because you don't like it, since your buddies broke it, that doesn't matter. Seems like your're the one who needs a civics lesson (better yet, the lawbreakers do) or get off the crack pipe! Do you love Richard Nixon?
Paddy

Van Nuys, CA

#19 May 19, 2008
Go Clinton: "The law is the law!"

Boy, that's rich coming from a Clinton supporter! The law is the first refuge of a scoundrel and patriotism the last.

As for the Torrance City Attorney doing the prosecution, if the law is a Torrance municipal law, then Torrance is the proper jurisdiction.
Walker

United States

#20 May 19, 2008
Go Clinton wrote:
<quoted text> The law is the law! Just because you don't like it, since your buddies broke it, that doesn't matter. Seems like your're the one who needs a civics lesson (better yet, the lawbreakers do) or get off the crack pipe! Do you love Richard Nixon?
Hey "Go Clinton'-speaking of crack pipes, seen roger lately ?

Liberal are always the least tolerant. Why is that ?
CCC

La Mirada, CA

#21 May 19, 2008
At the end of the article it is mentioned that Mr. Gould was previously (outside Torrance) charged with campaign violations. If he is at it again, he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- regardless of who is represented.
leroy

Beverly Hills, CA

#22 May 19, 2008
If this case is is done by Dr. Fellows then he should also charge Scotto and Brewer with pay for play!

Seems he can look the other way when his boss Scotto is pulling the strings!

Dirty politics Scotto!

This case should go to the District Attorney! PERIOD!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brown seeks to broaden California's clean-energ... 4 hr Solarman 1
News New Lakers Facility Will Bolster Local CRE Jun '15 David 2
News Bell city manager resigns, takes same job in Ra... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Dave 1
News Mattel Launching 'Barbie Girls' MP3 Player (May '07) Oct '14 tara 1,791
News Former manager sentenced in abuse (Mar '09) Sep '14 VICTORIOUS 32
News 16-Year-Old Injured While Standing up on Double... (Jul '14) Jul '14 margo 17
News Betsy Butler to Run for 50th District (Sep '11) Mar '14 Pertia Cohen 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Segundo Mortgages