Man gets 12 years in prison for 4-yea...

Man gets 12 years in prison for 4-year-old son's death

There are 69 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 1, 2008, titled Man gets 12 years in prison for 4-year-old son's death. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Manuel Nunez, 30, reacted Wednesday as he listened to testimony by emergency personnel who responded to a rollover accident which killed his 4-year-old son Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wake UP

San Antonio, TX

#1 Oct 2, 2008
He should have joined the military and being a soldier where he could have gotten no charges filed against him and had no time to serve in jail. Plenty of example of this occuring in our city where we would have hailed him as a hero for doing a job in a uniform we pay for them to wear.

The time handed to him was too long, involuntary manslaughter carries a 5-10 year sentence. It wasn't murder. Carless? Yes. Irresponsible? Yes. Intentional? No. If the same measuring stick would be used the parents of the numerous kids killed in El Paso would also face jail time. This kids mom would also go to jail for knowing his fathers tendancy to drink and drive. etc etc.
Elizabeth T

United States

#2 Oct 2, 2008
A reasonable sentence for a man who killed his son. Yes, his guilty conscience will always remind him of the murder he committed but the sentence pays society for the crime. It might have been a "normal day for him" but his son will never have that opportunity due to his father's irresponsible behavior.
Elpbadboys

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 2, 2008
Is justice really served here? A man lost his son he didn't kill his son, there is a difference. Don't you think that every day this man will remember what he did? Is that not enough "punishment". Laws are made to protect us and punish those who don't obey them, but justice is not the same as laws, this we have to understand, yet we "punish" people who made bad "decisions" when justice is not about that. His family lost a brother/son/uncle, etc., his daughters lost a father are they to suffer and be "punished" as well? Twelve years is alot of time, too much time when you consider all the other crimes and their sentencing ( a border patrol agent gets 5 yrs. for smuggling and profiting from it )The law was broken, but justice was not served!
Too Bad

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 2, 2008
12 years is too long!!!! It was not murder if that is the case everyone that kills while driving should be charged with murder. The girl that killed 3 or 4 of her friends down in Fabens only got 5 years. One of those friends was expecting... didn't she deserve to serve more time? She "murdered" more than one person. The law shoould be the same across the board. He did not murder his son!!! God bless this family and may little Manny rest in peace!
Kimberly A

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 2, 2008
I think that he didnt get the sentence he deserves. I think that he should of gotten more time. wheather he intended to kill his son or not the fact that he was drinking and he knew he had his son with him. And his son was not old enough to put on his own seatbelt. He is the dad so he should of put it on when he left and he should of not been going so fast he was way over the speed limit. so i think he should of gotten more time
eddn

El Paso, TX

#8 Oct 2, 2008
Unfortunately this is part of life. Some people lose and some win, there are only losers in this story. Speaking as a father, if anything like this would happen to my son I could never forgive myself. Im no one to judge this man for what he did. If he made a mistake that day, so be it, if he drank too much and drove too fast, so be it. But now he has to reap the consequences. I know that to me twelve years aint that long considering he is responsible for his sons death, and with good behavior, six years isnt long at all. Maybe he could do something to better the world when he gets out. Maybe he can be a speaker and let people know what reality CAN be. I for one, remember this story when I am about to have a beer, and I think of what happened to that little boy and what that man is going through and Im sure it is pure hell. If there is a glimmer of positivie outlook is that this will hopefully change peoples mind about their behavior. I know it has changed mine, I love to relax and have a beer, but for the most part it is just one beer if we are out or i just drink at home.

Anyways, maybe we can all learn something from the death of this little boy.
lisalin

El Paso, TX

#9 Oct 2, 2008
Thats what he gets for drinking and driving he should be sentenced to life.
to really

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 2, 2008
are you ready to adopt his other kids and take care of his wife and family until he gets out. i doubt it, so s.t.f.u. about the 99 years. its not your kid, its his and im sure he will never get over it.

it would have been better to get him back home a little quicker so maybe he could get his life back together and take care of his wife and kids. 3 years of time served with probation of 10 would have been ok.
Missy

El Paso, TX

#11 Oct 2, 2008
12 years is not enough. Okay everyone, what if he did this to your son!!!! What would you be asking for, life I am sure. He gets 12, gets out in 6 and has three young daughters that might get in the car with him after he has been drinking again. My god 7 beers in 2 hours, with your child with you. This is a habit.
to missy

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 2, 2008
its not my son and its not yours, yes if it was mine i would want more but its not. he would not have the mental anguish that he has now with it being his son.
his mother in law thinks its too long. she probably knows its in the best interest of the surviving children.
Curious

United States

#13 Oct 2, 2008
Oh my such perfect people. Vicious to boot. I think you vicious people should get the same kind of treatment you wish on this poor guy and his family.
Too Bad

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 2, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a 4 year old...why did I get a 12 minute timeout and she only got a 5 minute timeout? Waaa Waaa Waaa... So you are saying what the girl did was murder and what he did was not??? I think that 5 years was way too little for her too. There is one HUGE difference between the 2 murders tho...The chickie's passangers had a choice of whether or not to get in that vehicle...this little boy did not. He trusted his father to take care of him. Can you imagine the horror that kid felt in the last seconds of his life?
No I can't imagine the horror that the kid felt in the last seconds of his life! The man has a family that needs him. On another note... you are saying that the people that where with the girl from Fabens deserved to die because they made the choice to get into her car! That is dumb. When you get into a car you don't know if it will be your last time. Oddly they are called "Car Accidents" Yes, the man had been drinking but he will have to live with the fact the he didn't buckle up his kid,and that he was drinking. Believe me that is enough punishment!!! It eats at him EVERY day!!!
Informed

United States

#15 Oct 2, 2008
Learn the Facts BEFORE you go mouthing off!!!!
Really wrote:
That's it!? I was hoping for 99 years.
This was murder... You load the gun, you go into the store to rob it, you put your finger on the trigger, you point the gun at the clerk, and somehow the gun goes off unintentionally...that is STILL murder...
This goes so far beyond 'irresponsible'. It was not at all involuntary. He didn't accidently swill 20 tecates, nobody made him do 80 down alemeda. And I suppose he always put the kid in a carseat except this one time because it slipped his mind??? Come on people, get real!

Since: Oct 08

El Paso, TX

#16 Oct 2, 2008
So sad to see that there are so many people in this city lacking compassion. I find that ironic seeing that we are a largely "religious" Christian based faith community. To all those who are so angry and hateful please remember that what goes around comes around- just a law of nature; and the energy that you put out will come back to you. Maybe you should think things through before you say things that may come back to haunt you.
missy

El Paso, TX

#17 Oct 2, 2008
you know the bottom line is no matter the what, the who, the why, he is still alive and living. His child is NOT!!! He will still see his girls, his wife,etc. His son will not see his family, there needs to be punishment for that
Law

Washington, DC

#18 Oct 2, 2008
The reason it was murder and not manslaughter was the fact that he had already been convicted twice of DWI before. In this accident (his 3rd DWI, which is a felony), someone died. And Texas Penal Code states if an individual is killed, intentionally, recklessly or negligently - doesnt matter, in the course of a felony, its murder.
Shocked

United States

#19 Oct 2, 2008
Curious wrote:
Oh my such perfect people. Vicious to boot. I think you vicious people should get the same kind of treatment you wish on this poor guy and his family.
No one here is perfect but if he was thinking of his family this would have never happened. I feel bad for the children left behind in this tradgety what gets me so upset is that he got less time than those two border patrol agents trying to keep the drugs out of the city. They shot a drug dealer in the [email protected]# and he survived,they crusified them and no one thought of their families and children. This guy will be out in less than 6 years and those other two guys in 10 years for trying to do the right thing

Since: Oct 08

El Paso, TX

#20 Oct 2, 2008
Our laws dictate that there should be punishment for the crime; unfortunately the punishment handed out was unjust; just an fyi to anyone who doesn't know it- if he has an appeals lawyer who is worth his salt he can walk. this should never have been pushed as murder. sigh the things our officials do in the name of politics.
missy

El Paso, TX

#21 Oct 2, 2008
Law wrote:
The reason it was murder and not manslaughter was the fact that he had already been convicted twice of DWI before. In this accident (his 3rd DWI, which is a felony), someone died. And Texas Penal Code states if an individual is killed, intentionally, recklessly or negligently - doesnt matter, in the course of a felony, its murder.
Exactly, Three times, my god when is enough enough. Yes we should be compasionate but to what point. People that continue to disobey the law need to be off our roads. It is bad enough that we have to look out for regular traffic but to have to look out for people that should be off our roads because they continue to drink and drive. Come on people
missy

El Paso, TX

#23 Oct 2, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in way saying ANYONE deserved to die...what Im saying is that they made choices that resulted in their deaths and that this boy had no choice...Comprende? Im not going to say that again.
This was no 'Accident' accidents are things that are beyond control. This guy had all the control in the world. He could have prevented his son's death and freely made the choice not to. He decided to do what he did and he killed his son..that is murder. He didn't trip and fall, that is an accident. Here's another analogy for ya... if you do crack and tie your shoe laces together and try to walk and you fall...is THAT an accident?
Now, as far as this guy having a family to get back to and this is why you think he should serve less time.... What's to say that next time he won't kill his whole family...As you know, there are never any repeat DWI offenders...right?
He needs to be in jail for a long long time. I don't understand how you people defend this guy, I really don't. Is it because you all drive drunk with your kids and think it is culturally acceptable because your dad did it too???
Exactly-I am right on your track. Birds of a feather flock together. Next time it might be his family that yall want him to go home to. Can you imagine this-- He is home, he is thinking of his son, he drinks 7 beers in 2 hours (maybe more) he takes his girls out to get groceries--now do you know why he needs a stiffer punishment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democrat Politician Repeatedly Molested 103-yea... 9 min Check Fart 7
New American National Anthem Vote Yes or No (Dec '12) 3 hr Fart salute 52
News Rollover on highway injures Judge Bonnie Rangel (Sep '09) 3 hr Fart Watch 14
News 1 dead, 1 injured after boat goes over Lake Pal... Sat Superb Wet Farts 7
blm Sat Greasy Farts Food 3
The World To End 9/23/2017? Sat Farts Save Lives 3
News Looming DACA renewal deadline creates confusion,a Sat Fart line 2

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages