Relocating from California to El Paso...

Relocating from California to El Paso - please advise.

Posted in the El Paso Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bay Area

Concord, CA

#1 Jun 11, 2007
I currently live in the San Francisco area. Unfortunately, the cost of living has become so outrageously high that it is no longer possible for my family to continue to reside here.School systems suck and the idea of private school is out of the question since it almost cost as much to go to college. I have 5 children ranging from ages 11 to 7 months. Crime is high, you learn which part of the city to stay away from. We own our own business - a grocery store in the downtown area. There are so many Walgreens and Safeways opening up around every other corner that it is clobbering us.

I have been on numerous El Paso Websites that paint a pretty picture about the city. I know that english is a second language. Spanish is first. The cost of living/ housing is affordable. There are good parts of town and there are bad. True of all cities. San Francisco has its fair share to say the least.

I am advised to stay on the west side of town. In the hills - Park Hills? Property tax is high? We are paying 1.2%. How is the weather? Tonadoes? Humidity? Sandstorms?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

Since: Apr 07

El Paso, Texas

#3 Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area wrote:
I currently live in the San Francisco area. Unfortunately, the cost of living has become so outrageously high that it is no longer possible for my family to continue to reside here.School systems suck and the idea of private school is out of the question since it almost cost as much to go to college. I have 5 children ranging from ages 11 to 7 months. Crime is high, you learn which part of the city to stay away from. We own our own business - a grocery store in the downtown area.
There are so many Walgreens and Safeways opening up around every other corner that it is clobbering us.
I have been on numerous El Paso Websites that paint a pretty picture about the city. I know that english is a second language. Spanish is first. The cost of living/ housing is affordable. There are good parts of town and there are bad. True of all cities. San Francisco has its fair share to say the least.
I am advised to stay on the west side of town. In the hills - Park Hills? Property tax is high? We are paying 1.2%. How is the weather? Tonadoes? Humidity? Sandstorms?
Bayarea..I know the area well..have a cousin in Danville...terribly expensive. That is why he is moving back to El Paso, his hometown.

I am attaching some web sites you can access fyi:

http://www.josegarzarealtor.com/blog/

http://www.epscene.com/

http://www.elpasoinsideandout.com/

El Paso weather is the best. We are currently in a wet period though we did have a sanstrom blow up before a big Texas size rainstorm.

Home values are rising but do not compare to what you have in Cali! Property taxes are high but that is true through Texas; we do not have a state income tax!

WE just passed a school bond proposal so we will continue in our efforts to build a good school system. Education is a big challenge everywhere.

I live on the east side. There are many nice areas to choose from though it is high traffic and congestion at times and it is older than the newer west side. The city is pushing smart growth and there are many new communities being planned.

Do some research and you will find what you want. You have a choice. Enjoy the web sites. there are many more to see. this is a start. Good luck.

By the way, English is the language of the city. You do hear a lot of Spanish speakers but that is because we are next to a major metro area; Juarez, Mexico. Many too have moved to El Paso. You can survive guite well just with English...my family has and we do know both languages.

This area is also prime for some big growth. Read my blog on El Paso-Smart Growth Coming-Boom times no doubt. Do not read/believe what the nay sayers are writing...hogwash. But I will leave that to you friends. Later
NE El Paso

El Paso, TX

#4 Jun 14, 2007

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#5 Jun 14, 2007

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#6 Jun 14, 2007
It was just reported EL Paso had the third safest driving record in Texas..Allstate

Way to go El Paso!!!
DannyPivarnick

El Paso, TX

#7 Jun 18, 2007
Moving from San Francisco to El Paso would be a very good move for you. Don't let the negative comments about spanish being the primary language or the large numbers of Mexican Nationals deter you. English is the primary language, however being a border town you do hear and see a lot of spanish speakers.

El Paso is full of wonderful neighborhoods you are not limited to only the west side. There are great areas on the east side, northeast and central as well. The decision on which side to live depends largely on what your primary needs are.

What is important tou you? Is it schools, hospitals, or shopping that most concern you? If you plan to restart your grocery business you'll find many neighborhood grocers but not many large chains. Alberstons is the largest national grocer, followed by local chains Big 8 and Lowe's.

All in all you could look far and wide and not find a better place to be. You can't beat the weather, the people are friendly and we are near to many areas of attraction.

Probably the only thing you'll miss is the fresh seafood. You won't find that here. All the rest of the bay area/ California craziness you won't miss one bit at all. Plus, if you were to have the urge you can always revisit the bay area and wonder why you didn't get out of there sooner.

For more information about El Paso, homes in the area or to get local information from a local please visit my website:wwwIsellmorehomes.com my contact information is there.

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#8 Jun 19, 2007
Danny P.- Nice blog..we concur and those who are in the know say El Paso is the place.

Come and help us be a better city and forge a new era. Your presence will make a difference.
DannyPivarnick

El Paso, TX

#9 Jun 21, 2007
Mark B.
How can I be of assitance?

Since: Jun 07

Ysleta, TX

#10 Jun 21, 2007
One thing you have not asked about is wages. You need to research how you plan to make a living in EP. The wages in EP are nowhere near SF's. EP is not known for well paid jobs. Yes, they do exists but they are hard to come by. One the best things EP has going for itself right now is a large young educated workforce. They are competing for those highpaying jobs. Before anyone attacks me please do a bit of research and you will see I am correct.

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#11 Jun 21, 2007
This site shows the strength of the El Paso market:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/real_estate/f...

El Paso will see good gains in real estate for the next ten years. The growth is coming and so will the jobs and better pay.

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#12 Jun 21, 2007
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/real_estate/f...
Hope this works; the one above flopped.

“El Paso-A Fine Place”

El Paso, Texas

#13 Jun 21, 2007
Well..........

CNN had a good report on real estate. El Paso came in third best in the nation in valuation increases.

Danny and everyone else reading..get involved and help in the process. New residents too!
Cristina

United States

#15 Jul 23, 2007
Bay Area wrote:
I currently live in the San Francisco area. Unfortunately, the cost of living has become so outrageously high that it is no longer possible for my family to continue to reside here.School systems suck and the idea of private school is out of the question since it almost cost as much to go to college. I have 5 children ranging from ages 11 to 7 months. Crime is high, you learn which part of the city to stay away from. We own our own business - a grocery store in the downtown area. There are so many Walgreens and Safeways opening up around every other corner that it is clobbering us.
El Paso is an awsome place to live. I've visited many cities and the only other cities I would consider living in are San Diego or New York City, The food is great, the weather is HOT! We get some wopper windstorms now and again. Generally, all sides of town are good to live in. Crime is low. There's lots to do, you just need to look an dig around. Keep your eye on events that are happening etc. good luck!
former_elpasou

Redmond, WA

#16 Jul 25, 2007
Don't go.
former_elpaso

Redmond, WA

#17 Jul 26, 2007
Go to Austin where its smaller, ran better, more to do, much more beautiful, and close to many neighboring cities with a much better vibe. Especially for the family, there are more opportunities, a better payscale and there are tons of jobs out there. People are really friendly in Austin. Its not a big desert with nothing. Its smaller, however packed with entertainment constantly. San Antonio as well..... Look up El Paso on urbandictionary.com
H-town

Sugar Land, TX

#18 Jul 28, 2007
former_elpaso wrote:
Go to Austin where its smaller, ran better, more to do, much more beautiful, and close to many neighboring cities with a much better vibe. Especially for the family, there are more opportunities, a better payscale and there are tons of jobs out there. People are really friendly in Austin. Its not a big desert with nothing. Its smaller, however packed with entertainment constantly. San Antonio as well..... Look up El Paso on urbandictionary.com
Ditto that. I love Austin, it's a great city.

Since: Jul 07

Palo Alto, CA

#19 Jul 28, 2007
Danny,my advise to you is to move to El Paso it is still afordable and they still build schools there they dont close them down like in the Bay Area, Austin is a San Francisco clone except they have plenty of haters there and you know how the bay area is about haters.
In El Paso they have quality homes and are more better built and better looking than those in Houston, El Paso looks more californian than it does in those Hot Humid incubators they call houston and missouri city, these peole you find here posting bad stuff are rejects, for someone to find houston appealing has to be burned out on CRACK and out of their freakin minds.
hey they are still fighting the civil war in Houston, they dont want to give up their REBEL HERITAGE and their rebel flag.
By the way I live in the Bay area about two blocks from Dolores Park.
El Paso is good for kids.
Foreigner

El Paso, TX

#20 Jul 28, 2007
I know I have to settle in a city yet, but that's true about EP looking more californian. Well, I've seen a rising number of Cali people. This city should feel honored to have people moving in here from such a beautiful state that is CA.
former_elpaso

Redmond, WA

#21 Jul 29, 2007
Who said anything about Houston?!.. Take another look at the post. They merely replied "ditto" to Austin. We didn't say anything bad, or "hate" on El Paso at all. I wouldn't recommend Houston if you are struggling as is in SF. Unless you are making good figures in comparison with the cost of living. However....... even though Austin has been duped the "San Francisco, CA" of Texas, it's still alot cheaper than places like San Diego, which is actually somewhat cheaper than San Francisco - but way more expensive than El Paso. As far as it looking like CA, maybe more inland away from the shore where humidity levels compare fairly well to other "incubators" around the nation. El Paso is in the middle of the desert boasting the dryest heat next to Arizona and Utah, lacking vegetation all around. This is not an attempt to sway you from the numerous posts, but please take the time to research before you end up stuck out in the middle of nowhere. I hear jobs and real estate are really booming in Vegas right now. Heck even Denver. My point being that there's many more places you can go to, closer to a more optimistic atmosphere and prosperous lifestyle in consideration to you and your family. The choice is yours....

Since: Jul 07

Palo Alto, CA

#22 Jul 29, 2007
Austin is right smack in the middle of Tornado Alley,so give it as much thought as you would to a California Shake of a notable magnitude.
El Paso is in the desert(no earth quakes no tornados)just like Phoenix Arizona and it has a desert landscape of it's own disguise, Pine country is only an hours drive from El Paso if you want to get away for the weekends summer heat, there is always Cloud Croft and Riudoso up in the mountains in nearby New Mexico, these are El Paso retreats or resorts sanctuarys from the heat to some recreational great outdoors to others, it's like going to the Santa Cruz Mountains.
California is a beautiful state without doubt and I'm sure Californians are more than welcome in El Paso.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists in El Paso? (Nov '08) 4 hr Worship Farts 52
Soros funded groups hope to destabilize the U.S. 20 hr Red Fart Powders 23
New American National Anthem Vote Yes or No (Dec '12) Sun Fart Vote 74
Cowpoops loose agin Sun Fart Teams 32
Will the DNC make America a Criminal State? Sun 10th Farticle 5
America Close to Being a Failed State? Sun Did U Fart 4
News CBP officers seize almost 400 pounds of marijuana Sun Fart Count 9

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance