$1,000 added to reward for hiker's missing dog

Full story: El Paso Times 11
Jan Sumrall, wife of rescued hiker Robert Sumrall, said today she will add $1,000 to the reward fund for the family dog that helped her husband survive seven frigid days in the New Mexico mountains. Full Story
Dog Enthusiast

Boerne, TX

#2 Dec 7, 2009
I commented elsewhere that maybe a family member could to to the spot where they were found and try to coax Zulu out of hiding, but this story makes it sound like Mr. Sumrall's condition is less than certain.

Prayers for all concerned. I hope Mr. Sumrall makes a full recovery and Zulu is found.
Lango

United States

#3 Dec 7, 2009
Talk about a man's best friend!!
Gil

Austin, TX

#4 Dec 7, 2009
I hope they find his hero
dog lover too

El Paso, TX

#5 Dec 7, 2009
Finding the dog would be the perfect ending to this dramatic story. I'm sure the dog is fine. She sounds like not only her man's best friend but also a very intelligent animal. I bet she is out there and will make her presence known soon.
Zulu is a hero

El Paso, TX

#6 Dec 7, 2009
Hope they find Zulu.
What a brave and loyal dog. 15 miles is a long trek and 7 days without food is even longer.

Since: Jan 09

Maribel, Texas

#8 Dec 7, 2009
The biggest reward would be just to reunite the two.
El Paso

El Paso, TX

#9 Dec 7, 2009
I am a firm believer in Pet Therapy and if Mr. Sumrall can get to the point of being alert a visit from his companion would have positive effects.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#11 Dec 7, 2009
Petro wrote:
Ok Im going to say it since everybody else is acting stupid. Zulu ****, Why didn't he just name him Kunta kinte, or Congo Headhunter or Spearchucker or Spook.
because petro was takin
Mee

Silver City, NM

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Just wondering if anyone thought of using satellite imaging to try to locate Zulu. They can track her movements. Not sure if one would go through the U.S. Border Patrol or NASA. I've seen the Border Patrol use that on some TV segments in the recent past. They may be willing to help since Zulu is a hero. I'm going to see if I can get more help to try and find her. She deserves to be rescued and rewarded. Bless her little heart. Love and prayers to the family and loved ones.
Sin Calzones

United States

#13 Dec 7, 2009
Gil wrote:
I hope they find his hero
I'm sorry to burst your bubble. The dog is not a hero that is just what a loyal animal does. If you train your dog, love him and care for him as much as Mr. Sumrall did to zulu then your dog would do the same thing.
I need to move to Canada

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 7, 2009
Zulu is a hero wrote:
Hope they find Zulu.
What a brave and loyal dog. 15 miles is a long trek and 7 days without food is even longer.
OMG, have you ever had a dog, and seen the nasty things they eat. I'm sure the dog ate just fine during the whole ordeal. A dog is still a dog and a wild animal-though domesticated, they will eat what they have to to survive. I have one black lab left, the other died from kidney disease(born with atrophied kidneys), and that little girl would eat anything, snakes, tarantulas, grubs, she loved toads, lizards, horny toads, I barely had to feed her. And that dog and the one left, they are/were warm, on a cold night put 'em on the end of the bed, tell 'em to stay and stuff your feet under 'em.

From the original story, I can understand why the dog bailed, especially if she wasn't a people oriented dog, my pup would have done the same thing, stayed with me until somebody showed, things got hectic, lots of people(a helicoptor) and she would bail.

I hope this pup is smart enough and not scared enough to come to somebody. Honestly, somebody getting lost and almost dying in the mountains, I feel bad, but the good dog side of it pulls at the heart strings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso Congressman Beto O'Rourke votes against... 21 min Frontier resident 1
El Paso's thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys in 201... 1 hr BoogeyMan 9
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr fubar 18,384
Crime scene at Cotton & Missouri today, noon 8 hr passerby 1
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 11 hr That Fart Guy 22,587
1 direction 11 hr beware of the puppet 2
DONT PLAY TEXAS LOTTERY_ITs Rig (Dec '11) 11 hr snatchos 39
I hate El Paso! (Jan '08) Sep 12 What 1,512
•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••
•••
•••

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE