Grandfather of El Paso racing still l...

Grandfather of El Paso racing still living the fast life at 80

There are 27 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 8, 2009, titled Grandfather of El Paso racing still living the fast life at 80. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Harry Groessel likes speed. But it's winning he loves. Groessel, referred to by some as the grandfather of El Paso drag racing, developed a style that has allowed him to rack up hundreds of first-place trophies since he started racing in 1957.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GeorgeM

AOL

#1 Sep 8, 2009
He was the one you didnt want to line up against. Funny part he would be the first in line for elimination and the only ones that would go in next to him were the new racers. They soon learned to sit back and wait. Great guy. Would always be there when you needed help.
Karla Hill

Midland, TX

#2 Sep 8, 2009
Go, Uncle Harry!!!!
Ricky Ricardo

El Paso, TX

#3 Sep 8, 2009
Who was the driver of the car that smashed into him?

That guy should have been banned from the track.
Petro

United States

#4 Sep 8, 2009
I'm not impressed, I could kick his butt easy.
Ben de la Vega

El Paso, TX

#5 Sep 8, 2009
Thank you for the story on one of El Paso' most unsung racing heroes. When I was 11, Harry would pick me up to take me to the drags. As I got older and became the drag race announcer, I got to see Harry as one of the most wonderful friends I would ever have in life.
Austin Terrace Guy

United States

#6 Sep 8, 2009
This article brought back memories of others who were regulars at the old Enchantment Park drag strip: George Brazil, Charlie Royal, Richard Thorpe, Dickie Harrell, Ted Johnson and Old Man Ebbs to name a few.
EL PASO DRAGWAY

Newark, NJ

#7 Sep 8, 2009
Petro wrote:
He'd spank your ass because you'd be in diapers shitting all over yourself dork!
Read the article again!
EL PASO DRAGWAY

Newark, NJ

#8 Sep 8, 2009
Ricky Ricardo wrote:
Who was the driver of the car that smashed into him?
That guy should have been banned from the track.
perhaps Louie Vasquez de Vasquez Racing in the camaro?
NitroThunder

El Paso, TX

#9 Sep 8, 2009
Great story. I bet Mr. Groessel could clean anyone's clock, including Tony Schumacher's!
GeorgeM

AOL

#10 Sep 8, 2009
Yep it was Louie.
El Paso Dragway

United States

#11 Sep 8, 2009
GeorgeM wrote:
Yep it was Louie.
I was 2feet away when that happened, i pulled up Louie past the water for the first burnout, on the second one it stalled, he had 15 seconds to get the car to the tree or get disqualified, i called him out of time, he got pissed,started the car n did a reverse burnout!! into Harry!!!!
Dorinda Holly

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Sep 14, 2009
I have raced Harry quite a few times over the years and he is a true gentleman and an amazing racer, he even let me beat him once! You go Harry!
Rick Petersen

El Paso, TX

#13 Sep 16, 2009
Very nice story, about a very nice person! I hope to see mim race alot more.
Rick
Gigi

El Paso, TX

#14 Mar 5, 2013
Petro wrote:
He is 84 now and I bet he can beat you. Obviously you don't know about stealthy starts. He holds the national record for one ten thousands of a second.
Ted Bell

El Paso, TX

#15 Mar 5, 2013
Gigi wrote:
<quoted text> He is 84 now and I bet he can beat you. Obviously you don't know about stealthy starts. He holds the national record for one ten thousands of a second.
There's a NASCAR racer form this area now and he is making his mark already in the young season. Jamie D is his name and he will blow the doors off of this gramps.
americaca

El Monte, CA

#16 Mar 5, 2013
That piece of shitt is still around,he was nothing but a show off,wasn't worth a crap on the streets. I smoked him one time montana and hawkins. He cried like a baby.
DC Dave

United States

#17 Mar 5, 2013
Ted Bell wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a NASCAR racer form this area now and he is making his mark already in the young season. Jamie D is his name and he will blow the doors off of this gramps.
Jaime D is another loud mouth pos jotosexual. So stfu and stick it up his tail pipe.
Gigi

El Paso, TX

#18 Mar 8, 2013
Ted Bell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted, NASCAR is a different type of race than drag racing so I don't see your young "Unser in the making" blowing off Harry's doors. Drag racing is more complicated than that. You have to dial in your time and then start on the green light without red lighting. Harry has a start time of a tenth of one thousand. You can't blink your eyes that fast. It is more complicated than roundy-round racing on an oval. Why would you put something so negative about someone and something you don't even know?
Gigi

El Paso, TX

#19 Mar 8, 2013
americaca wrote:
That piece of shitt is still around,he was nothing but a show off,wasn't worth a crap on the streets. I smoked him one time montana and hawkins. He cried like a baby.
Apparently you never met Harry Groessel, on a track or off. He never raced on Montana and Hawkins. In fact, one of his missions in life was and still is to get young drag racers OFF OF THE STREETS and onto sanctioned drag strips. If Harry raced you on a track, you are the one who would be crying, A__Hole. He never raced you on the street. You may have thought you were racing him but he never took the bait on a street.
Big Jake

El Paso, TX

#20 Mar 8, 2013
Gigi wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted, NASCAR is a different type of race than drag racing so I don't see your young "Unser in the making" blowing off Harry's doors. Drag racing is more complicated than that. You have to dial in your time and then start on the green light without red lighting. Harry has a start time of a tenth of one thousand. You can't blink your eyes that fast. It is more complicated than roundy-round racing on an oval. Why would you put something so negative about someone and something you don't even know?
You must be Gigi the downtown tranny. Stfu already!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open letter to huey goins/eyes of texas/bouncin... 52 min L Morales 10
pp 1 hr L Morales 39
News GOP official, former El Pasoan ousted over anti... 6 hr Damage Control Ce... 6
DONT PLAY TEXAS LOTTERY_ITs Rig (Dec '11) 6 hr Damage Control Ce... 78
News City of El Paso ends fiscal year in the black 8 hr I Hate The French 1
News CBP officer arrested 8 hr typical hispanic 2
i hate el paso (Nov '11) 8 hr Fitbuddy 267
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages