Schools want more college ready students

There are 12 comments on the Nov 16, 2008, El Paso Times story titled Schools want more college ready students. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

As school districts prepare for college readiness assessments that will be released by the Texas Education Agency later this month, administrators hope to begin closing the gap that exists between El Paso ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

no name

El Paso, TX

#1 Nov 17, 2008
schools need to emphasize more on the SAT rather than the taks, our kids are not prepared for college if they are then why is it that most college freshmen are taking beginning math and English?
College Ready

El Paso, TX

#2 Nov 17, 2008
If El Paso would like to have more college ready students, then they may need to consider teaching the students relevant subjects and not so much of the TAAS test.
Teaching kids to take a test for government funding is not teaching our kids. And teaching teachers in college to teach the TAAS test is like being a hamster in the habitrail. Teach the students Math, English, History, Geography, Social Studies, Government, Science and you will have college ready students.
no name

El Paso, TX

#3 Nov 17, 2008
College Ready wrote:
If El Paso would like to have more college ready students, then they may need to consider teaching the students relevant subjects and not so much of the TAAS test.
Teaching kids to take a test for government funding is not teaching our kids. And teaching teachers in college to teach the TAAS test is like being a hamster in the habitrail. Teach the students Math, English, History, Geography, Social Studies, Government, Science and you will have college ready students.
very true

Since: Jun 08

El Paso

#4 Nov 17, 2008
We also need better teachers.
Elisabeth

United States

#5 Nov 17, 2008
Carlos - Eastside wrote:
We also need better teachers.
But most importantly, we need parents who care and who don't expect teachers/administrators to raise their children. Parents need to take an active interest in their childrens' lives and education not just drop them off at the school door and wash their hands of their responsibility.
Gimme a break

El Paso, TX

#6 Nov 17, 2008
We spend all our effort and dollars making sure the least mexican gets an education. That leaves precious little resources for the college bound intelligent kid. Am I the only one that gets this?
Harvey

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 17, 2008
Less classes where the teacher just hand out dittos everyday, and some focus on writing skills. The parents are responsible, but you have to remember alot the parents in the poorer areas have not even stepped foot in a college let alone know how to help children prepare for it. They should make the pre AP Classes the standard for everyone they will help with that initial step into the college where most will sink or swim.
Jalapeno

El Paso, TX

#8 Nov 17, 2008
Teachers need to teach Math and English-not Spanish and Political Correctness.
Gimme a break

El Paso, TX

#9 Nov 18, 2008
Harvey wrote:
Less classes where the teacher just hand out dittos everyday, and some focus on writing skills. The parents are responsible, but you have to remember alot the parents in the poorer areas have not even stepped foot in a college let alone know how to help children prepare for it. They should make the pre AP Classes the standard for everyone they will help with that initial step into the college where most will sink or swim.
You just don't get it, do you? If you make something a standard then the standard will drop. We already hace mediocrity for the masses. We need to concentrate on the best and brightest....not the dumb and dumbest. Those who are college bound will rise to the top and those that are not can be trained for a trade. You should not try to teach a pig to sing, it won't work and it just annoys the pig.
poor mejo attitude

El Paso, TX

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Carlos - Eastside wrote:
We also need better teachers.
REALLY???? Have you been inside a classroom lately--- Please tell me your definition of "better teachers", and I'll show you the majority of these professionals that are teaching today----Do you think maybe it might be the school boards and the superintendents who are only worried about test scores??? YOU THINK?????
Tman

United States

#11 Nov 18, 2008
Students won't be college ready. They are dumbing down science by introducing religion in evolution classes pretty soon

Since: Jun 08

El Paso

#12 Nov 20, 2008
poor mejo attitude wrote:
<quoted text>REALLY???? Have you been inside a classroom lately--- Please tell me your definition of "better teachers", and I'll show you the majority of these professionals that are teaching today----Do you think maybe it might be the school boards and the superintendents who are only worried about test scores??? YOU THINK?????
I think it is a combination of both. I am sure there are some good teachers in the schools but those are like the marines - The few and the proud.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ouisa D. Davis: Step up to help victims of viol... 1 hr huey goins 9
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Fart 23,175
News El Paso contest winner to meet soccer star Neym... 1 hr Guisippe 7
U.S. Goverment and Police using Rape and Torture 15 hr b189187go 1
Poll Should Petro be Banned from this Forum? (Aug '12) Sun Manny 2,281
theresa braham Sun That Farter 4
El Paso Central Appraisal District (Mar '12) Sun That Farter 16
More from around the web

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]