Letters: ACORN loss hurts many in need

Letters: ACORN loss hurts many in need

There are 44 comments on the El Paso Times story from Nov 3, 2009, titled Letters: ACORN loss hurts many in need. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

I lost my tractor-trailer when I was two payments away from becoming an owner/operator. That's when I suffered a stroke.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
nokkonwud

El Paso, TX

#1 Nov 4, 2009
Dear Sheri

The Bible also says:
1 Tim. 2:12-13,“But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed then Eve.”

and

1 Cor. 14:33-36,“For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

So unless Sheri is a man's name, you need to stop...seeing as how the Bible rules your life.
EPcynic

Glendale, AZ

#2 Nov 4, 2009
I wonder if all these people with their ACORN sob stories realize that ACORN was the enforcement arm for the Community Reinvestment Act which caused our housing bubble and resulting crash. My guess is no, but these perpetual victims of life wouldn't care either way. We need ACORN like a hole in the head.
Susie

El Paso, TX

#3 Nov 4, 2009
ACORN - A Corrupt Organization Radicals Need
Jake

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Nov 4, 2009
I think (Sheri) you like to pick and choose the bible, so that your Homophobic comment's can be supported with "Biblical" facts. Yes the bible say's stuff about homosexuality, but it also say's that you shouldn't judge your fellow man. So just say you hate gay's and get over yourself. God love's all his children including self righteous women like yourself.
LLB

El Paso, TX

#5 Nov 4, 2009
Jake and Nokkonwud are both right, one does not pick and choose their likes and dislikes, you have to accept the entire bible (including the part of women being silent) or not at all.

I really am disliking the fundamental churchies.
Nacho

El Paso, TX

#6 Nov 4, 2009
Are we in church?

Well then, God Bless You All regardless of orientation.

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 4, 2009
who is Sheri? i see no post here from her?is she the lead a acorn?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Nov 4, 2009
>>Ilost my tractor-trailer when I was two payments away from becoming an owner/operator. That's when I suffered a stroke<<

So he claims he suffered a stroke when he got behind on his pymts. What happened to make him get behind on his pymts to begin with??? Did i miss something, here?
I wonder

El Paso, TX

#9 Nov 4, 2009
Nacho wrote:
Are we in church?
Well then, God Bless You All regardless of orientation.
A better way for our country to prove it is "freedom for all" from bigotry, persecution, harrassment, and the imposition of the religious views of one group purporting to "Live by the Bible" is to ban all government support of Religious groups and for those who think that the government does not financially support churces remember that the propeties and incomes of the minister are TAX-FREE. So I look around and see a protestant church in every vacant strip mall, and huge Catholic churhes every few blocks and several very large want to be Crystal cathedrals in the city where the people are paying the highest property taxes in a state that has no state income tax and all these religious edifices are paying no federal taxes either. It is a very substantial amount of money......were I to be able to build a large entertainment center where most of the participants paid at least 10% of their income to attend weekly. The taxes I would be charged both property and fedeeral income would be enough to to stave off property tax increases for all the resident of the city for several years. Our constitution forbids the support of any specific religious group so it is just simply time to stop "Supporting" any of them! Then it would boil down to the members of the group supporting it with their tithes and donations and not me paying taxes that go to supporting dozens of different religion but I am an Athiest.

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#10 Nov 4, 2009
texasmiss2000 wrote:
>>Ilost my tractor-trailer when I was two payments away from becoming an owner/operator. That's when I suffered a stroke<<
So he claims he suffered a stroke when he got behind on his pymts. What happened to make him get behind on his pymts to begin with??? Did i miss something, here?
Yep. You aren't comprehending what you're reading. He was two payments away from owning his tractor trailer when he had a stroke. As a result of the stroke, he wasn't able to make the payments and lost his tractor trailer.

However, that's not an excuse for him to buy a house beyond his means. ACORN's funding came from tax payers, so he nearly got a cut rate deal that responsible individuals could never get by placing the excess burden of his irresponsible behavior and decisions on those of us who are responsible tax payers. Pathetic. This is why I have a problem with the theory of natural selection. We should have evolved beyond these kinds of pathetic life forms... but they still thrive... and they're generally called Democrats / Liberals.
Petro

Brownsville, TX

#11 Nov 4, 2009
Acorn made voting fair, You have your redistricting we have Acorn. its all checks and balances.

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 4, 2009
I wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
A better way for our country to prove it is "freedom for all" from bigotry, persecution, harrassment, and the imposition of the religious views of one group purporting to "Live by the Bible" is to ban all government support of Religious groups and for those who think that the government does not financially support churces remember that the propeties and incomes of the minister are TAX-FREE. So I look around and see a protestant church in every vacant strip mall, and huge Catholic churhes every few blocks and several very large want to be Crystal cathedrals in the city where the people are paying the highest property taxes in a state that has no state income tax and all these religious edifices are paying no federal taxes either. It is a very substantial amount of money......were I to be able to build a large entertainment center where most of the participants paid at least 10% of their income to attend weekly. The taxes I would be charged both property and fedeeral income would be enough to to stave off property tax increases for all the resident of the city for several years. Our constitution forbids the support of any specific religious group so it is just simply time to stop "Supporting" any of them! Then it would boil down to the members of the group supporting it with their tithes and donations and not me paying taxes that go to supporting dozens of different religion but I am an Athiest.
i agree, you know, make them all follow one set of rules, even regulate their spending - a modest home is not valued at 2.5 mil, a modest home is close to the church and should cost about 150k. We could also take away the tax exempt status for purchases, lets include all tax exempt status for everyone.
The tax breaks should stop there, if i have to pay tax on the money i make and the money i spend, then all tide should also be taxed, a good church-going practitioner should have no problem with the taxes going to the betterment of mankind, especially in EP, where a large percentage of our tax money goes to the poor in some fashion or form, a large percentage of that goes across the border, where church help is greatly needed anyway. i move to tax the church(s)for the betterment of whatever’s better. And to cut down on my taxes so I can be taxed on spending the money I will save.(at least that way I will get some enjoyment out of it).

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#13 Nov 4, 2009
Petro wrote:
Acorn made voting fair, You have your redistricting we have Acorn. its all checks and balances.
Registering Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck to vote makes voting fair... how?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Nov 4, 2009
PatriotMissile wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. You aren't comprehending what you're reading. He was two payments away from owning his tractor trailer when he had a stroke. As a result of the stroke, he wasn't able to make the payments and lost his tractor trailer.
.
Apparently, i need more coffee today. He should have wrote "after i had a stroke, i got behind...". The way he wrote it makes it sound like the stroked out because of the late pymts...lol

The guys also says that ACORN was helping work with 2 Federal programs. If these are federal programs cant he still work with them without ACORNS help??

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#15 Nov 4, 2009
Petro wrote:
Acorn made voting fair, You have your redistricting we have Acorn. its all checks and balances.
you are right, fair voting indeed, all dead people need their voices heard. most more than 3 times. same goes for the living, some have been documented of hearing their votes at least 6 times - but in different districts....
i mean what’s a hot meal and a place to stay at tax payer expense to buy a vote(or 6ea) from the poor, the misinformed(or mindless), and the homeless!

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#16 Nov 4, 2009
texasmiss2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, i need more coffee today. He should have wrote "after i had a stroke, i got behind...". The way he wrote it makes it sound like the stroked out because of the late pymts...lol
The guys also says that ACORN was helping work with 2 Federal programs. If these are federal programs cant he still work with them without ACORNS help??
oh no no no, you see acorn can get him that loan for 250000 on that 150000 house,(they dont actually loan the money, they jest ensure hes treated fairly acquiring it) and acorn will make sure he's not imposed upon while doing it. you know his civil liberties and rights infringed on. you see Acorn believes that if you cant afford a home you should have one anyway, this is the cause of over 50% of the foreclosures in the northeast of the country. its just the right thing to do, lend that man 300k for a home thats worth 120k on a Variable Interest loan, with all interest deferred for the first 5-8 years, then balloon that note to the sky and call foul when its repo time. All with federal monies subsidizing ACORN’s advice and services. Oh yea, they also providing voting services, see earlier post….
Petro

Brownsville, TX

#17 Nov 4, 2009
Total BS wrote:
<quoted text>
you are right, fair voting indeed, all dead people need their voices heard. most more than 3 times. same goes for the living, some have been documented of hearing their votes at least 6 times - but in different districts....
i mean what’s a hot meal and a place to stay at tax payer expense to buy a vote(or 6ea) from the poor, the misinformed(or mindless), and the homeless!
Hey people come to Texas to die so they can stay in The Ripofflican party even when their gone

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#18 Nov 4, 2009
PatriotMissile wrote:
<quoted text>
Registering Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck to vote makes voting fair... how?
I always understood Mickey, but Donald was kinda ducky...

“Common sense ain't common”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 4, 2009
Petro wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey people come to Texas to die so they can stay in The Ripofflican party even when their gone
you know your right, if the dead democrats have ACORN, we need a dead republican organization, lets call it
FOAD

Fk
off
acorn
democrats

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#20 Nov 4, 2009
Total BS wrote:
<quoted text>
oh no no no, you see acorn can get him that loan for 250000 on that 150000 house,(they dont actually loan the money, they jest ensure hes treated fairly acquiring it) and acorn will make sure he's not imposed upon while doing it. you know his civil liberties and rights infringed on. you see Acorn believes that if you cant afford a home you should have one anyway, this is the cause of over 50% of the foreclosures in the northeast of the country. its just the right thing to do, lend that man 300k for a home thats worth 120k on a Variable Interest loan, with all interest deferred for the first 5-8 years, then balloon that note to the sky and call foul when its repo time. All with federal monies subsidizing ACORN’s advice and services. Oh yea, they also providing voting services, see earlier post….
yeah I knew they were into the bad lending on houses and voter fraud. the part i didnt understand was: the guy apparently already had loans for his big truck and house. he fell behind, so ACORN is somehow helping him with a federal program. He didnt say if it was another loan or what. I was confused as to what, exactly, kind of magic wand they had up their sleeve and why only ACORN could fanagle this "program".(unless of course, they are the actual lenders).

My credit cards and loans have an add on to where if i get hospitalized or unemployed, i can miss a few paymts. you would think this guy would have done the same thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Mexican on Trump cabinet 3 min huey goins 14
Set Your Clocks Back 300 Years GOP in charge again 44 min Flush the Border ... 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 10 hr Part McShartz 1,052
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 11 hr SullyPharts 23,981
The MONSTERS moving into the White House Tomorrow! 12 hr butters_ 10
Chapo on his way to Trump inauguration 13 hr Look at the Brigh... 10
Did Huey die of old age or did the FBI find his... 15 hr huey goins 26

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages