Some in US push to change automatic c...

Some in US push to change automatic citizenship by birth

There are 172 comments on the El Paso Times story from Aug 11, 2010, titled Some in US push to change automatic citizenship by birth. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

About 340,000 babies born in the United States in 2008 had at least one parent who was in the country illegally, according to a study by the Pew Hispanic Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
back to basics

El Paso, TX

#1 Aug 12, 2010
Imagine if someone--anyone--was to run across the de-militarized zone between North and South Korea in an attempt to escape the repressive North Korean government. Now imagine if they made to the South Korean side, and the soldiers sent the refugee back. Many people can still remember this happening in the East Germany-West Germany Block at the Berlin Wall. If you get to the other side of a repressive/oppressive border, shouldn't someone be free? Where is the hope for humanity? We need to answer that question before we begin choosing who is American and who is not. What is really strange, is that many of the opposers are products of immigrants who fled from somewhere themselves.
Ugh

Dallas, TX

#2 Aug 12, 2010
Politics... Anchor babies...
Where's the humanity in people? Immigrants are here b/c they do the low paying-no health care jobs that no one else in the states wants to do. Im not saying this is right, i personally think its inhumane, specially the working conditions, however if deportation is the democratic solution the majority comes up with, then shouldnt it be at least done in a non violent, humane way?
And besides for an american born baby to be able to help their parent get papers he/she needs to be 18 yrs of age, and then prove he/she can support the parent for a period of at least 6 months... Its not that easy.
Nationalist

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Aug 12, 2010
Over 50,000 US citizens have been
murdered by illegal aliens since 2001.
This number is comparable to the Vietnam
war casualties. The situation with Mexico
is nothing less than an undeclared war on
our people.
dumb people

El Paso, TX

#4 Aug 12, 2010
Hey Ugh and back to basics...post your address so we can go and enjoy free stuff in the name of freedom at your expense. You people want to be so generous with other people's money let's be generous with yours and your stuff.
rainyday

Corinth, MS

#5 Aug 12, 2010
Ugh wrote:
Politics... Anchor babies...
Where's the humanity in people? Immigrants are here b/c they do the low paying-no health care jobs that no one else in the states wants to do. Im not saying this is right, i personally think its inhumane, specially the working conditions, however if deportation is the democratic solution the majority comes up with, then shouldnt it be at least done in a non violent, humane way?
And besides for an american born baby to be able to help their parent get papers he/she needs to be 18 yrs of age, and then prove he/she can support the parent for a period of at least 6 months... Its not that easy.
The bottom line is that illegal immigrants are not immigrants but invaders. They are not here to assimilate themselves into our society, learn our language, or become American citizens under our flag. They are here to rape our country of its resources and they are stealing billions of dollars each year in benefits that rightfully belong to American citizens and legal immigrants who pay taxes and observe the law. When we support illegal immigrants, we are aiding and abetting criminals, which is a crime.

I guess you didn't realize that the family size in Mexico is now 2.5 kids per family, so why is it that they are having baby after baby when they get here? That's a simple answer...they have found out about our entitlements. They are gaming our system and using their American-born as pawns and shields, and that act alone is despicable.
Close the Border

Kittanning, PA

#7 Aug 12, 2010
When citizenship is cheap, you get cheap people. When you have cheap people, you get Marxist presidents.
Just me

United States

#8 Aug 12, 2010
Close the Border wrote:
When citizenship is cheap, you get cheap people. When you have cheap people, you get Marxist presidents.
Excellent post!
ppp

El Paso, TX

#9 Aug 12, 2010
You cannot grant citizenship to people who broke the law to secure said benefits for their children.

Dual US citizenship cannot be honored.
Worried

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Aug 12, 2010
What about all the people from Juarez/Chihuahua that cross legally with their border crossing cards (or tourist visas), then give birth at Thomason Hospital. Kids become US citizens, and El Pasoans pay the hospital bill. Is anyone doing something about this.
_ArrrrrrR_

Blocksburg, CA

#11 Aug 12, 2010
Anchor babies are NOT 100% American, they will be raised to hate the United States, they will get all American benefits but never once show any gratitude towards the homeland.
Their devotion and dedication will always side with along with their parents wishes, and that will be PATRIOTISM TO MEXICO, you know when you get these irritating Viva Mexico chants.
Not even if one parent is American, that parent should alawys be in question and that child should not be granted automatic citizenship because chances are that parent came into the country illegally and they should be denied automatic entry and investigated and deported anong with the anchor parasite.
El Paso

El Paso, TX

#12 Aug 12, 2010
Silvestre Reys is a lier, who counts on the votes to keep himself in office, instead of looking at facts and doing something to look after the interests of El Paso, and the rest of the country. He worked in Border Patrol inforcement and should know first hand what the facts are. We all know people from Juarez come here to have their children and later receive Food Stamps, and other assistance, the more advantaged use one house as residence and have their kids communte to school every morning across the border. Taxes the rest of us pay and they get away with. Single women dilver at Mid-wife hospitals --- ALL WITH THE INTENT TO GET FREE SERVICES. It this country will not do something about this problem, then Free Aid needs to go. There are a lot of lazy people that abuse the system here too.
El Paso

El Paso, TX

#13 Aug 12, 2010
back to basics wrote:
Imagine if someone--anyone--was to run across the de-militarized zone between North and South Korea in an attempt to escape the repressive North Korean government. Now imagine if they made to the South Korean side, and the soldiers sent the refugee back. Many people can still remember this happening in the East Germany-West Germany Block at the Berlin Wall. If you get to the other side of a repressive/oppressive border, shouldn't someone be free? Where is the hope for humanity? We need to answer that question before we begin choosing who is American and who is not. What is really strange, is that many of the opposers are products of immigrants who fled from somewhere themselves.
The difference here is that once they Mexican immigrant gets here, he or she reaps in all the free services, pay loyality to the Mexican Flag, and teach their kids to love Mexico first before the USA who is feeding and supporting them. They rip all the benefits and keep using it -- waves and waves of them. If you live in El Paso, you see it everywhere, if you don't then keep your mouth shut.
Maya

El Paso, TX

#14 Aug 12, 2010
_ArrrrrrR_ wrote:
Anchor babies are NOT 100% American, they will be raised to hate the United States, they will get all American benefits but never once show any gratitude towards the homeland.
Their devotion and dedication will always side with along with their parents wishes, and that will be PATRIOTISM TO MEXICO, you know when you get these irritating Viva Mexico chants.
Not even if one parent is American, that parent should alawys be in question and that child should not be granted automatic citizenship because chances are that parent came into the country illegally and they should be denied automatic entry and investigated and deported anong with the anchor parasite.
You racists know nothing about children of illegal immigrants who have served this country in war or those who have been loyal and outstanding citizens, including one who is currently a NASA astronaut. At least todays immigrants do not commit genocide against the natives and steal their land, like the original European immigrants and their "anchor babies" did. Crawl back into your racists holes, hypocrites estupidos.
_ArrrrrrR_

Blocksburg, CA

#15 Aug 12, 2010
Maya wrote:
<quoted text>
You racists know nothing about children of illegal immigrants who have served this country in war or those who have been loyal and outstanding citizens, including one who is currently a NASA astronaut. At least todays immigrants do not commit genocide against the natives and steal their land, like the original European immigrants and their "anchor babies" did. Crawl back into your racists holes, hypocrites estupidos.
Hey MAYAte, thats right you are a mayate a mexican mayate that is and there is such thing as a mexican mayate why they come from mexico ofcourse, as soon as they come into the country illegally they become mexican mayates.
As for you this has nothing to do racism as you would desire so,you attempt to make it sound as if all children of illegals have been good citizens and have gone off to war to fight for freedom and the American cause.
That should be one requirement to all anchor babies is to DEPORT THEM ALL BACK, and while deporting them back your citizenship should also be investigated then there after you too should be expelled from OUR COUNTRY, kicked out and sent home.
By the way the guy who you said is an Astronaut also happens to be American born.
You have no respect for our laws I have no respect for you.
El Chavo Del Coco

Paris, France

#16 Aug 12, 2010
We need to make the law retroactive some 20 years and take away the citizenship of millions of Wucking Wexicans.
Senor Justicia

Orlando, FL

#17 Aug 12, 2010
Maya wrote:
<quoted text>
You racists know nothing about children of illegal immigrants who have served this country in war or those who have been loyal and outstanding citizens, including one who is currently a NASA astronaut. At least todays immigrants do not commit genocide against the natives and steal their land, like the original European immigrants and their "anchor babies" did. Crawl back into your racists holes, hypocrites estupidos.
Atencion de los patriota Mexicana: Mexico nos llama retorno a la patria.
Nuestro pais nos necesita para sacarlo de que es dillema actual.
Al permanecer en los Estados Unidos estamos ensenando a nuestros hijos que Mexico no es un pais entre iguales.
Unirse a nostros en el retorno a la patria de nuestro movimiento.
Viva Mexico!
http://www.passports.com/img/cat/mxcity88.jpg
mcss

Oak Ridge, TN

#18 Aug 12, 2010
Senor Justicia wrote:
<quoted text>
Atencion de los patriota Mexicana: Mexico nos llama retorno a la patria.
Nuestro pais nos necesita para sacarlo de que es dillema actual.
Al permanecer en los Estados Unidos estamos ensenando a nuestros hijos que Mexico no es un pais entre iguales.
Unirse a nostros en el retorno a la patria de nuestro movimiento.
Viva Mexico!
http://www.passports.com/img/cat/mxcity88.jpg
Just another illegal alien whining about viva poor old mexico, you have no pride in your own country. If you did you would go back there and clean it up. But you won't, why is that? Afraid of a little hard work? Doing a job that most mexicans don't want to do? Illegal heifers coming here to have babies that they don't want, don't know who the daddy is, and don't want to work to support the unwanted kids. Just let the Americans do it for you. And you clowns talk about us? Hypocrites and thieves.
NObama

El Paso, TX

#19 Aug 12, 2010
This is another example of why activist judges should not be appointed to the courts.

There is no need to amend the constitution. All you need to do is interpret the 14th Amendment correctly.

The courts decided that babies born to illegal aliens automatically become U.S. citizens based on a liberal interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Look at the mess that has resulted.
_ArrrrrrR_

Blocksburg, CA

#20 Aug 12, 2010
VIVA MEXICO! Y en Torreon Los Tacos.
NOW GO HOME......
boulevard89

Lindsborg, KS

#21 Aug 12, 2010
This goes out to Rep Silvestre that states "it's ridiculous and puts forth an issue that is embarrasig for our country" I'll tell you what is lamentable, sir the fact that American citizens are unable to go to University Medical and receive services since they must come up with a down payment towards their procedure. I know of several friends who have worked all their adult life and unable to enroll in their employer healthcare program due to cost. Yet they suffer unable to receive services @ University Medical or with a private physician all the while mexican residents whose government will not provide for its own, throws the burden on us the taxpayers. This is truly ridiculous, and shameful that you refuse to recognize this problem. REFORMS are long overdue why should they be born here and qualify for Medicaid when we as Americans dont.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Insecure Writers 2 min petro 26
I hate El Paso! (Jan '08) 3 hr ICE Water 1,696
Saw a Beaner Go Into a Library Today 3 hr New Resident 51
Michael Flynn and Russia 4 hr News Resident 7
Restaurant Question 12 hr New Resident 8
News Lure of land gives way to frustration (Aug '08) 19 hr New Resident 143
News Civil rights lawsuit planned over immigrant's a... 21 hr Dick Butterworth 50

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages