Letters: Obama just has the perfect plan

Oct 29, 2009 Read more: El Paso Times 43
Barack Hussein Obama is pushing real hard and real fast for his Democratic cronies to pass his "Obamacare" policy. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
FROMTHEBLOGOSPHE RE

El Paso, TX

#1 Oct 29, 2009
From "Napoleon's Dynamite"
By Timothy Egan
New York Times/October 28, 2009
[NOTE: TO ALL OF YOU---but especially to the smug, hateful, and radical NEOCONS who now DENIGRATE AND DENOUNCE President Obama's "dithering" about what to do or not do NEXT in Afghanistan, after it was "you guys" who put America in these 2 wasteful and wrong quagmires!]
PARIS-He's in there somewhere, under the gilded dome of Les Invalides in the 7th arrondissement of Paris. The Emperor of the French, Napoleon Bonaparte, is entombed by six coffins in what has to be the most spectacular sarcophagus in all the City of Light.
I stared at this extravagance of marble and mortality not long ago, thought about Napoleon's campaigns in Russia, Italy and Prussia, the wars that briefly remade Europe..

We were wary, following the advice of Jefferson and others, of ceaseless and senseless overseas wars. Wars for territory. Wars for defense. Wars for revenge. Wars because one religion was better than another. This was not our way. We didn't meddle. We fought "good wars," against imperial occupiers like Great Britain and, much later, the Nazis.
And we were slow to rouse, intervening only when called to the rescue. That was---perhaps still is---our narrative as a people.

From that peaceful triumph with France, you pivot to the present day, and wonder how we will fit what are likely to be our two longest wars into this story. The United States has been in Afghanistan coming up on a decade. Iraq is not far behind.

In Iraq, some Sunnis have always hated some Shiites, and vice-versa, for more years than the United States has been a country, and they will continue to dismember each other and their children whether we are there or not. I suspect most historians will judge the Iraq War an epic mistake. Already, most of our efforts in blood and capital have been spent trying to clean up the mess of the initial hubristic invasion, an ill-planned act from the shallows of a light-thinking president.(Now moonlighting as a motivational speaker---go figure!)

The never-ending quality of that war was reinforced over the weekend, with the worst bomb blast in a year, a bloodbath at the heart of Iraqi government buildings.
Afghanistan is more difficult, of course. The jihadists who killed American citizens on Sept. 11, 2001, had their base in that seemingly ungovernable mountain country. It is the graveyard of empires---Soviet, British---for good reason, as most Americans have come to understand. Progress is not yet a word that can be used with any credibility after eight years of war. And this month was the deadliest for U.S. forces since troops arrived, a danger heightened by Wednesday's bombing in Peshawar.

Now comes the first United States official known to resign in protest of American strategy in Afghanistan. Matthew Hoh, former Marine Captain and up-and-coming foreign service officer, says American presence has thus far only fueled the insurgency.
Yet, to leave now, we are told, would be to abandon a country to people who live 8th century lives with 21st century weapons. And they have a hatred warped by religion, making for the worst kind of enemy.

There is little advice floating around, and much that is bad. Chief among the latter was the suggestion of Dick Cheney, co-architect of the present disasters, that the president quit "dithering." This is particularly galling coming from a man with five draft deferments during the Vietnam War. His dithering kept him out of combat.
For the president, if thoughtful dithering produces a more enlightened policy, he will be well served by stretching time.
The rest of us can look at Napoleon's tomb, holding the body of the man who led so many men to war, trying repeatedly to do with military might what the French could usually only do with their cultural exports.
mee1

AOL

#2 Oct 29, 2009
Hey Blogosphere,
Have you read the news lately?...Obama and the sleazy democrats are now in power. How long do you plan on 'Blaming Bush' because it is getting really old.
J R Ewing

Houston, TX

#3 Oct 29, 2009
It is interesting that J R Dawson uses President's Obama full name. I doubt that this is due to J R's attention to detail. After all, his words are completely devoid of any educated argument against the proposed health care plan. Quite the contrary, his careful decision to include the President's full name is to incite the raw emotions of the Rush Limbaugh-ites. These tactics coupled with a total ignorance of the issues simply hinder any educated debate.

Mr J R, please grow up and bury the fear-mongering Republican strategies. They do not work! You can do much more good by engaging in an intelligent and educated debate.
Idiot

El Paso, TX

#4 Oct 29, 2009
The only reason made man an woman was to ensure that they would produce children. That has not changed since Adam and Eve. Homosexuality is un-natural both with God and nature that is why it is still a sin and will always remain a sin. There is no two ways about it.
Jay Moskowitz

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 29, 2009
Andrew Waxman is totally wrong!
Homosexuality has been a moral sin throughout Jewish Scripture and to use a calendar date (such as to say "This is 2009 and therefore we need to accept
what our Scripture classify as sin") is idiotic, yet a common ploy of the Left!
Based upon Waxman's assumption, we should also do away with kosher laws, High Holy Days, etc.
The Torah teaches us that the laws within it are FROM GOD--therefore immutable and permanent!
My father was an Orthodox rabbi in New York and I grew up in a home permeated with Jewish thought--never once did I hear that the Jewish law could be abrogated due to so-called "modern knowledge" or , much less, a calendar date.
S7aS

El Paso, TX

#6 Oct 29, 2009
Idiot wrote:
The only reason made man an woman was to ensure that they would produce children. That has not changed since Adam and Eve. Homosexuality is un-natural both with God and nature that is why it is still a sin and will always remain a sin. There is no two ways about it.
Ok, I'm gonna go eat my shellfish now and be an abomination to god =)
Get Over It

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 29, 2009
mee1 wrote:
Hey Blogosphere,
Have you read the news lately?...Obama and the sleazy democrats are now in power. How long do you plan on 'Blaming Bush' because it is getting really old.
I'll stop blaming Bush and Cheney and Pearl and Wolfowitz and Rove and all the others when the wars they started are over, the economy they killed has recovered, the contitutional liberties that they stole are returned, the wealth disperity that they created is rectified, the education system that they neglected has fully recovered, and let's see, what else? Any way, it will be a long time before I stop pointing the finger because it will take a long time for the new admnistration to sort all this crap out.

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#8 Oct 29, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll stop blaming Bush and Cheney and Pearl and Wolfowitz and Rove and all the others when the wars they started are over, the economy they killed has recovered, the contitutional liberties that they stole are returned, the wealth disperity that they created is rectified, the education system that they neglected has fully recovered, and let's see, what else? Any way, it will be a long time before I stop pointing the finger because it will take a long time for the new admnistration to sort all this crap out.
Actually, he can fix a few of those things with one simple command. For instance, the Patriot Act can be repealed by Executive Order, and the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan can be brought home by him simply saying "Get them back here, NOW!" Apparently, he knows a bit more about the threats to national security than you do... as did Bush. And he's as power hungry as Hillary, and will never repeal the Patriot Act willingly.
EPcynic

Sunland Park, NM

#9 Oct 29, 2009
S7aS wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Testament relieves the gentile believer of having to follow much of the proscribed dogma of the Old Testament. This is why Christians have no problems eating non-kosher meals, working on the sabbath (when necessary), and make no animal sacrifices. However, the lessons of the Old Testament and New still ring true. It is true that due to modern methods and technology that there is now little to no risk associated with shellfish but can you really say the same thing about homosexuality? Homosexuals have statistically higher rates of domestic violence than heterosexual couples. They are also at higher risk of contracting aids, hepatitis, and any number of sexually transmitted diseases. They exist in a community that has to recruit because they cannot procreate and finally they make up a disproportionate percentage of pedophiles. It seems to me that homosexuality is as dangerous today as it was when the Bible was written.
Get Over It

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 29, 2009
PatriotMissile wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he can fix a few of those things with one simple command. For instance, the Patriot Act can be repealed by Executive Order, and the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan can be brought home by him simply saying "Get them back here, NOW!" Apparently, he knows a bit more about the threats to national security than you do... as did Bush. And he's as power hungry as Hillary, and will never repeal the Patriot Act willingly.
Yeah, I'll bet they do know a lot more about the threats to our nation than I do. I'm not claiming to know that much, other than the country was left to Obama in a complete mess. As for the Patriot Act, you're right, but who would give up powers? Especially anyone so power-hungry as to become President...our current President included. All I'm saying is that it is a shame that these powers were established under the last administration in the first place.
Obama is proving to be far more of a centrist than many of us liberals would like, butt those of us who followed him in the Illinois State legislature had a clue about that. Then again, that is what Nancy Pelosi is for...catering to us liberals. GO NANCY!!!
Pied Piper

AOL

#11 Oct 29, 2009
Like drugged mice the US population follows the OB team to the road to hell.
Till now....

Folks are rising in resistence to the government plans of fixing our health plans.

Imagine, our US health care system could be just like the government run VA health system!

Our local congressmen could have thought to use the VA healthcare system as a modal to prove their capability BUT we all know their capability...

Clowns at work, all of them, prancing to financial ruin and hell!
Crane

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 29, 2009
mee1 wrote:
Hey Blogosphere,
If Obama doesn't get the United States out of Afghanistan, then he can be blamed for continuing the debacle of Bush and Cheney.
Once again, you Old NeoCon Boys don't address specific points.
And blaming Bush will never get old. History will remember this fool for eons. I guess infamy counts for something.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#13 Oct 29, 2009
The House health care bill unveiled Thursday is 1,990 pages and about 400,000 words. With an estimated 10-year cost close to $1 TRILLION, that comes out to about $2.24 MILLION per word..

And for some in congress, that may not be enough.
ByTheWay

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 29, 2009
Bobby wrote:
The House health care bill unveiled Thursday is 1,990 pages and about 400,000 words. With an estimated 10-year cost close to $1 TRILLION, that comes out to about $2.24 MILLION per word..
And for some in congress, that may not be enough.
Right, then add $1,000,000 per year per soldier in Afghanistan, and you're talking even bigger bucks. I wonder which money spent is better for our health?
Manenipo

El Paso, TX

#15 Oct 29, 2009
Pied Piper wrote:
Like drugged mice the US population follows the OB team to the road to hell.
Till now....
Folks are rising in resistence to the government plans of fixing our health plans.
Imagine, our US health care system could be just like the government run VA health system!
Our local congressmen could have thought to use the VA healthcare system as a modal to prove their capability BUT we all know their capability...
Clowns at work, all of them, prancing to financial ruin and hell!
The road to hell is with the megabucks (not good intentions) of the greedy Insurance Companies to lobby against any public Health Care option.

The paid and bought senators and representatives of both political parties don't serve the people, but their fat wallets and own self-interests.

The resistance is coming from the Insurance Company crooks and their paid minions.

What do you have against clowns, anyway? Prancing? Horses do this, not clowns.
Jay Moskowitz

El Paso, TX

#16 Oct 30, 2009
S7aS wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have no concept of the kosher laws. Jewish people living in the West keep the kosher laws more as a sign of identity.
Homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR and sinful, perverse, and unnatural behavior is a sin now, just as it was when the Torah was written!
Jay Moskowitz

El Paso, TX

#17 Oct 30, 2009
EPcynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Testament relieves the gentile believer of having to follow much of the proscribed dogma of the Old Testament. This is why Christians have no problems eating non-kosher meals, working on the sabbath (when necessary), and make no animal sacrifices. However, the lessons of the Old Testament and New still ring true. It is true that due to modern methods and technology that there is now little to no risk associated with shellfish but can you really say the same thing about homosexuality? Homosexuals have statistically higher rates of domestic violence than heterosexual couples. They are also at higher risk of contracting aids, hepatitis, and any number of sexually transmitted diseases. They exist in a community that has to recruit because they cannot procreate and finally they make up a disproportionate percentage of pedophiles. It seems to me that homosexuality is as dangerous today as it was when the Bible was written.
Thank you for your post. Unlike many on this forum, you have obviously researched the topic. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Homosexuality is a behavior, not a race or ethnicity. As to the kosher laws, observant Jews keep them nowadays more as an overt marker of Jewish identity than anything else (although I have never heard a doctor proclaim pork as a health food!). However,
homosexuality will always be deemed sinful in Jewish law, as it is an unnatural behavior.
Amongst homosexuals, studies show that rates of violence are very high and that relationships are, in general, short-lived.
Rita Ballou

El Paso, TX

#18 Oct 30, 2009
EPcynic wrote:
<quoted text>
And you obtained these facts where?
El Pasoan

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 30, 2009
Idiot wrote:
Based on this comment I find you name very fitting.
S7aS

El Paso, TX

#20 Oct 30, 2009
I cannot even put into words how hurt I am just by these comments alone. I would like to see the studies you "people" have found to back up your numbers. Homosexuals make up the disproportionate number of pedophiles? I don't think so. There is just an equal amount of heterosexual pedophiles as homosexual pedophiles, your sexuality doesn't matter! If you're sick for kids, then you're sick for kids! Ugh, you close-minded idiots make me want to cry because it's you who take your so called religion and preach it to yourselves everyday, to love one-another as your "god" has loved you, unconditionally, yet you condemn so many people just because they are different from you. Do you not see how hypocritical you are? You all make me sick! If you can so easily have your own families, and then quickly divorce the next day, have shows on television depicting relationships based on marriage, or heterosexual families, and how quickly they break up, just for the sake of the almighty dollar, is that not also an abomination in your "god's" eyes? If you can do that, then why can't I also just live my life? I am a straight woman, and all I want is to marry the transgender man that I am in love with, but I can't because the laws in Texas prevent that because of your views! Why can't I have the life I want just like your life? Why can't we have our life? Why can't you keep your views out of our life? Why can't you preach to yourselves and leave everybody else out of your business???????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso lawmaker says DPS not measuring its bor... 28 min Glass Houses 6
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 29 min Fart News 23,125
U.S. Marshal Robert Almonte being investigated ... 31 min Asi Tu Madre 6
News Zaragoza entrance ramp opens on I-10 in far Eas... 5 hr huey goins 2
News El Paso Catholic Diocese Suspends Employee Accu... (May '12) 5 hr huey goins 36
Local Politics Do you approve of Beto O'Rourke as Council Member? (May '12) 6 hr L Morales 5
News Federal review verifies long waits for veterans... 11 hr huey goins 17

Fire Warning for El Paso County was issued at April 01 at 3:42PM CDT

More from around the web

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]