Racism remains alive in El Paso

For shame, El Paso. Don't tell me that racism does not exist in this community. Last week, a Juarez police official was critically injured in an attempted assassination in our sister city. Full Story
ForgiveNMember

AOL

#22 Feb 1, 2008
Curt Selser wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you've seens Whites Only signs recently in Lubbock and Odessa. Shut up you dumb self-hating re*&tard. Just because you make something up in your mind doesn't mean its true it means your dillusional.
BTW, the writer of this article is a racist. She has done some reaaly racist reprehensible things in her life.
As you can tell by this blogger racism is alive and well in Nevada.
Racista

AOL

#23 Feb 1, 2008
Another John wrote:
<quoted text>
But, no illegal alien should get an education on our nickle. Let them apply for a student visa just like others from foreign countries do. And they should pay the same as other foreigners do. Too many Mexican citizens come here illegally to live with relatives who are citizens so they can prove residency and receive minority grants for college. What about the American minorities who lose out because of this?
Like I said before, when the economy gets tight the frustration level rises. American benefits should be for American citizens and those who come here legally....not the Mojados!
You white folks in Jasper, Texas must be proud when your little town made these headlines....

AFRICAN AMERICAN MURDERED BY WHITE SUPREMACISTS IN JASPER, TEXAS
AmosnAndy

AOL

#24 Feb 1, 2008
Happy Black History Month Everyone!
Dep Heat

Padre Island Ntl Seashor, TX

#25 Feb 1, 2008
Curt Selser wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you've seens Whites Only signs recently in Lubbock and Odessa. Shut up you dumb self-hating re*&tard. Just because you make something up in your mind doesn't mean its true it means your dillusional.
BTW, the writer of this article is a racist. She has done some reaaly racist reprehensible things in her life.
Don't be hate'n.
Dep Heat

#26 Feb 1, 2008
TitoFTW wrote:
Oh lord, somebody threw the race card again...
El Paso citizens are just sick of illegals. No racism in that.
That is pretty cocky to speak for ELP. I am from ELP and I am not sick of the illegal immgrants.
D Rod

#27 Feb 1, 2008
Another John wrote:
The true problem is not, and should not be, about race. The United States, as a nation, cannot stand the pressure being put upon it the mass of illegal aliens crossing the border and staying in our country. All of the arguments about the positive effect they have on our economy is incorrect. Now, as economic conditions become strained,the frustration level rises. Since our neighbor to the South, Mexico, is the homeland of most of the illegal aliens many American citizens
quite naturally harbor bad feelings toward Mexicans. They hear the ranting of groups like La Razza and people like Alfredo Gutierrez and form opinions of all Mexicans with that in mind. The "Reconquistas" are responsible for hate and the spread of anti-American sentiment among many American Hispanics. And now you wonder why the racism spreads from the border states to the heartland of America...well, when you attack the patriotic spirit of Americans this is what you get. Look among yourselves and find the "border playing" Hispanics who have made a career out of using the illegal aliens for their own gain. These are the criminals among you.
If I am not mistaken wasn't it in Jasper, TX that a poor black man was dragged behind a pick-up truck... I would imagine Jasper has its problems with ignorant, racist people. That is a pity.
Elias

Rowville, Australia

#28 Feb 1, 2008
Never Forget wrote:
Back in the 60's many restaurants in El Paso posted signs on their windows that said; NO DOGS, NO NEGROES, NO MEXICANS.
The old Plaza theatre downtown had a side entrance for African Americans granting them entry just to the balcony.
African American children could just attend Douglass School. Douglass school was for all grades, first through 12. Mexicans could only attend Bowie high school. Only the anglo children could attend the best equipped schoolssuch as El Paso high school.
Even at swimming pools signs would read, "WHITES ONLY."
The train and bus stations had separate water fountains for WHITES and COLORED, along with separate waiting rooms. At the Union Depot if you look at a frosted window there are still remnants of these signs.
World War II changed all that. Through the GI Bill minorities were able to get an education, become lawyers, doctors and professionals.
The door to ending desctimination was opened.
I have seen these injustices in my short life. hard to believe all this just happened just some 40 years ago.
If you don't know where you came from, you don't know where you are going.
There are still some pockets of descrimination.
Forgive and remember.
Out in the west Texas Town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl
realitycheck

Port Clinton, OH

#29 Feb 1, 2008
It's nationalism, not racism, to not want Mexicans using our tax dollars for their health care when U.S. citizens do not recieve the same. As a side note, the dragging death in Jasper was a crack deal gone bad. The media misreported it to create a sensation. Very successfully, I might add.
Jane

Colorado Springs, CO

#30 Feb 1, 2008
If a person holds dual citizenships, which country then have they sworn allegiance to?

Patriotic Americans are Nationalists not racists. We welcome people from varied cultures (including Hispanics). However, we do not welcome 30 million plus illegal Mexican invaders sucking off of our economy.

A personís race is not in question, their citizenship is.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#32 Feb 1, 2008
The poll taken by El Paso Times reflected the concern of our community. But guess who turn it into a race issue. Ms. Davis
Ernest

Buchanan, VA

#33 Feb 1, 2008
Just say no to dual citizenship!
Turning Brown

AOL

#34 Feb 1, 2008
America is turning brown and the whites are mad.

Minorities are becoming the majority and the majority is becoming the minority.
Fersten

El Paso, TX

#35 Feb 1, 2008
I'm going to vote for Greg Allen. Hispanics are racists too. Good points. We must all remember that Juarez is not part of the United States. Atleast not yet. Juarez is Mexico.
Fersten

El Paso, TX

#36 Feb 1, 2008
"Ouisa Davis, Executive Director of Diocesan Migrant and Refugee Services for the El Paso Catholic Church"

HA HA... TALK ABOUT LA RAZZZZZA
Jeanne

El Paso, TX

#37 Feb 1, 2008
I know Quisa Davis from a time when I needed a protective orde against a violent man. She was with the DA at that time. She is a wonderfully nice person but I have to disagree and agree too about Racism in El Paso. I have lived here nearly half my life. When I first arrived I was delighted to have neighbors who were Mexican, German, Japanese and other nationalities and races as well. We were all friendly, we kept our eyes out for each other's children and pets.
I have gone to my new neighbors.......All Hispanic..and introduced myself in an effort to be a good neighbor and have been rebuffed by them. Their teen age children all dress like they are in gangs, they are out all hours of the night with large groups of friends dressed the same, play loud wall shaking music and smoke pot to which I am allergic and it causes me to have asthma attacks. On windy days I have placed their garbage containers back inside their fences after collection but they seem to deliberately knock mine over or move it to a spot the truck cannot reach near a tree. I am afraid to walk in the area for the many loose pit bulls or other dogs and cannot leave my own small dogs outside unattended in the fenced back yard because the smaller children go in the yard without permission.
I have lived in many places that were ethnically, nationally and racially diverse over my many years but if there is any prejudice alive and well in El Paso it is against the Anglo and Blacks who cannot get a job if they don't speak Spanish.
Pedro

AOL

#38 Feb 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good white maid?
Pedro

AOL

#39 Feb 1, 2008
Need a job Britney?
Ernest

Buchanan, VA

#40 Feb 1, 2008
Repeal the invasion. Just say no to the invaders.
Coppertone

AOL

#41 Feb 1, 2008
How come white folk wanna get a tan and be brown, yet they are racsts toward brown people???
NightOwl

Keswick, VA

#42 Feb 1, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Disabled vet parking rules cause much confusion (Apr '08) 1 hr L Morales 189
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr L Morales 18,530
700 infants may have been exposed to TB at Texa... 1 hr L Morales 2
2014 NFL Cowboys Talk 6 hr POS 33
El Paso's thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys in 201... 7 hr POS 12
Mountain View Restaurants 14 hr Not sure 3
Police arrest man who allegedly exposed himself... 15 hr Officer Frank 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for El Paso County was issued at September 22 at 5:24AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••