Racism remains alive in El Paso

Full story: El Paso Times

For shame, El Paso. Don't tell me that racism does not exist in this community. Last week, a Juarez police official was critically injured in an attempted assassination in our sister city.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,503
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Lou Hunt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Some people see race in everything!
Never Forget

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Back in the 60's many restaurants in El Paso posted signs on their windows that said; NO DOGS, NO NEGROES, NO MEXICANS.

The old Plaza theatre downtown had a side entrance for African Americans granting them entry just to the balcony.

African American children could just attend Douglass School. Douglass school was for all grades, first through 12. Mexicans could only attend Bowie high school. Only the anglo children could attend the best equipped schoolssuch as El Paso high school.

Even at swimming pools signs would read, "WHITES ONLY."

The train and bus stations had separate water fountains for WHITES and COLORED, along with separate waiting rooms. At the Union Depot if you look at a frosted window there are still remnants of these signs.

World War II changed all that. Through the GI Bill minorities were able to get an education, become lawyers, doctors and professionals.
The door to ending desctimination was opened.

I have seen these injustices in my short life. hard to believe all this just happened just some 40 years ago.

If you don't know where you came from, you don't know where you are going.

There are still some pockets of descrimination.

Forgive and remember.
Lollercoaster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

LOL@Ouisa Davis.

It isn't racism, it is called public safety. TRU FAX!
Richard

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

You cannot use the Race Trump card each time someone disagrees with you. EL Pasoan's are just sick and tired of being abused by Mexican nationals who take advantage of our weak laws. After suffering a stroke in Mexico, the Mexican hospital would not admit me until I paid a fee of $4,000. I could have died in the waiting room but they didn't care because they were not going to absorb the cost of my health care. Why should we treat Mexican nationals any different, I am fed up with them taking advantage of the American taxpayer.
Lollercoaster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

I love Google!

"Ouisa Davis, Executive Director of Diocesan Migrant and Refugee Services for the El Paso Catholic Church"

Interesting.

Richard, I am sorry to hear that.And I agree with you 100%.
Charles Baudelaire

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

It is a much-overused and dishonest debating tactic to recast your opponent's objections in a simplistic manner to make them seem like bad people. This is known as an ad hominem argument. We have grown very used to seeing this kind of argument over the last eight years.

There are other, more defensible reasons being cited why the location of the treatment was a bad idea. To simply reduce them all to the tired old "racism" charge is, in a way, reverse racism in itself. At the very least it is an oversimplification.
Another John

Jasper, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

The true problem is not, and should not be, about race. The United States, as a nation, cannot stand the pressure being put upon it the mass of illegal aliens crossing the border and staying in our country. All of the arguments about the positive effect they have on our economy is incorrect. Now, as economic conditions become strained,the frustration level rises. Since our neighbor to the South, Mexico, is the homeland of most of the illegal aliens many American citizens quite naturally harbor bad feelings toward Mexicans. They hear the ranting of groups like La Razza and people like Alfredo Gutierrez and form opinions of all Mexicans with that in mind. The "Reconquistas" are responsible for hate and the spread of anti-American sentiment among many American Hispanics. And now you wonder why the racism spreads from the border states to the heartland of America...well, when you attack the patriotic spirit of Americans this is what you get. Look among yourselves and find the "border playing" Hispanics who have made a career out of using the illegal aliens for their own gain. These are the criminals among you.
anon

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Lou Hunt wrote:
Some people see race in everything!
That's right. I knew good old Ouisa wrote this before I even clicked on the link, lol.
Ray Brieden

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

We are all brothers and sisters in the eye of The Lord. To Him it doesnot matter what ethnicity, sex, color or origin we are. So why do those of us in the twin cities seem to think differently??
Well Said

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Ray Brieden wrote:
We are all brothers and sisters in the eye of The Lord. To Him it doesnot matter what ethnicity, sex, color or origin we are. So why do those of us in the twin cities seem to think differently??
What color is God's skin?
james

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

We hate people for!
Race
Color
Religion
Education or lack of.
Sexual orientation
Economic status
Physical attributes
Sex
Political views.

Were a country who loves to hate and I doubt that will ever change.
boop

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Never Forget wrote:
Back in the 60's many restaurants in El Paso posted signs on their windows that said; NO DOGS, NO NEGROES, NO MEXICANS.
The old Plaza theatre downtown had a side entrance for African Americans granting them entry just to the balcony.
African American children could just attend Douglass School. Douglass school was for all grades, first through 12. Mexicans could only attend Bowie high school. Only the anglo children could attend the best equipped schoolssuch as El Paso high school.
Even at swimming pools signs would read, "WHITES ONLY."
The train and bus stations had separate water fountains for WHITES and COLORED, along with separate waiting rooms. At the Union Depot if you look at a frosted window there are still remnants of these signs.
World War II changed all that. Through the GI Bill minorities were able to get an education, become lawyers, doctors and professionals.
The door to ending desctimination was opened.
I have seen these injustices in my short life. hard to believe all this just happened just some 40 years ago.
If you don't know where you came from, you don't know where you are going.
There are still some pockets of descrimination.
Forgive and remember.
It was like that everywhere in those days and is still going on sad but true..I haven't seen it here in El Paso I've seen it in Lubbock and Odessa...I'm not saying it doesn't exsist here i'm sure it does.I think TEch Hs was mexican only to wasn't it..I knew about the other schools.
Curt Selser

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

boop wrote:
<quoted text>It was like that everywhere in those days and is still going on sad but true..I haven't seen it here in El Paso I've seen it in Lubbock and Odessa...I'm not saying it doesn't exsist here i'm sure it does.I think TEch Hs was mexican only to wasn't it..I knew about the other schools.
Oh, you've seens Whites Only signs recently in Lubbock and Odessa. Shut up you dumb self-hating re*&tard. Just because you make something up in your mind doesn't mean its true it means your dillusional.
BTW, the writer of this article is a racist. She has done some reaaly racist reprehensible things in her life.
Lollercoaster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

What is the deal with Ouisa?
please watch this

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

racism against who??, it couldnt be against mexicans,that like the most aposttrous thing ever,this gringos are in foreign stolen land next to mexico and be racist ahahaa, its like a mexican bein racist in germanyyy against germans !!!!!!!!!!
Norrin

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Sure, racism still exists. But this fact should not deter minorities from attaining an education, achieving the American dream, and succeeding in developing a career. Only through education can the effects of racism be offset. Let the morons hate (whatever their skin color). Their hatred won't affect your knowledge and the fact that you will be needed in the workforce. Move on, get educated, and I guarantee you will prosper.
freedom

Warwick, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Norrin wrote:
Sure, racism still exists. But this fact should not deter minorities from attaining an education, achieving the American dream, and succeeding in developing a career. Only through education can the effects of racism be offset. Let the morons hate (whatever their skin color). Their hatred won't affect your knowledge and the fact that you will be needed in the workforce. Move on, get educated, and I guarantee you will prosper.
Very well said! God bless your soul. Good eventually ALWAYS overcome evil.
Suzanne

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

If you notice, Mrs. Davis also focused on the criticism against a CAUCASIAN/WHITE citizen of our community and how that was wrong, too, so she isn't siding with one specific race.

I bet some people only read the first half of the article before commenting. Read the whole thing next time.
stupid

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

abso-friggin-lutely, and these folk need to get over it. there's mexicans in el paso, big deal, it's been this way for years now. GET OVER IT.
Another John

Jasper, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

Norrin wrote:
But, no illegal alien should get an education on our nickle. Let them apply for a student visa just like others from foreign countries do. And they should pay the same as other foreigners do. Too many Mexican citizens come here illegally to live with relatives who are citizens so they can prove residency and receive minority grants for college. What about the American minorities who lose out because of this?
Like I said before, when the economy gets tight the frustration level rises. American benefits should be for American citizens and those who come here legally....not the Mojados!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,503
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the El Paso Forum right now

Search the El Paso Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Hundreds in El Paso protest against Obama immig... 3 min Joe 23
Plane lands in El Paso carrying more undocument... 9 min Joe 10
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 51 min rainwater 16,793
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Defiant1 21,091
What are good El Paso Temp agencies 3 hr POS 5
Smugglers welcome tighter borders (Apr '06) 3 hr POS 14
2014 NFL Cowboys Talk 3 hr POS 17
•••
•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••