600 guests gather for Farah exhibit

600 guests gather for Farah exhibit

There are 16 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 21, 2010, titled 600 guests gather for Farah exhibit. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Teresa Aguirre, 81, bent down to kiss the Singer 241-12 industrial sowing machine she worked with for twenty-two years of her life friday during the Our Giants Fara Exhibit reception at the El Paso Museum of History.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

J Valverde

Mansfield, TX

#1 May 22, 2010
My grandmother and mother both worked for Farah. Unfortunately my mother was killed when I was two years old but my grandmother continued on at Farah until it split off to Tex Manufacturing. Her manager was a wonderful man by the name of Abie Mowad.
Art

El Paso, TX

#2 May 22, 2010
Worked there for over 10 years and it truly was a great place to work at. Willie was one of a kind. Called his supervisors "boy", and everyone called him "Willie". NEVER Mr. Farah.

He would sit and eat with us and joked around, but he did expect your best when working. Paid us well and gave us many benefits..

They truly were the Good Old Days..
Sinaloa

El Paso, TX

#3 May 22, 2010
I don't think I understood whether Farah is in operation or not. I know that it left El Paso years ago because a friend of mine went with it. This story does produce a tear. It reminds us of our industries leaving El Paso to save a dime elsewhere...where taxes, insurances and what not may not be an issue in other countries.
Now Look At It

El Paso, TX

#4 May 22, 2010
Now look at what the Farah land will become, maybe: a mall for the rich and elite of El Paso.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#5 May 22, 2010
Funny how they don't mention what caused the death of the business isn't it?

Hmmmmmmm......can anyone say Slave Labor?
I'm sure NAFTA had NOTHING to do with it.

Sad.
Alec Vance

San Anselmo, CA

#6 May 22, 2010
I'm sorry I could not be there to join the wonderful people I worked with at Farah. It is great to see the company recognized for the good it brought to the community.
Aud

El Paso, TX

#7 May 22, 2010
Funny, if you hear all the old Raza Warriors talk, Farah was an incarnation of Satan himself who abused and enslaved the workers.

Seems like a lot of those workers have some real good memories and enjoyed their jobs and improving their families lot in life.

I guess you just can't trust racist liars like LULAC and Mecha people for telling the truth about the old days....
rgardea61

United States

#8 May 22, 2010
I attended the Farah reunion and I also worked 11yrs. at the gateway plant. "Willie" was a visionary much like "Sam Walton" these man were ahead of the times. I also worked for Walmart an
personally meet Sam Walton myself. These business
giants have much in common, and the greatest was, their concern for the welfare of the employee. I have worked retail store for 28 yrs. and have not meet the compassion,concern and gratefulness of a employer,retail store owner or store manager, such as "Willie Farah" and "Sam Walton".
proud

El Paso, TX

#9 May 22, 2010
I worked there for 14 years and never had a better job since. Willie cared about his employees and showed us every Christmas when he would go to every plant and personally shake everybodys hand and thanked us. Those were the best years, that his employees will Never forget. Alot of us worked and we know that alot took advantage, but none the less, those were the good old days. They will not come around again and we should be thankful that we are part of that history.

“Up close and personal!”

Since: Jun 08

El Paso, TX

#10 May 22, 2010
Now Look At It wrote:
Now look at what the Farah land will become, maybe: a mall for the rich and elite of El Paso.
Most likely it will be the "rich and elite" from Juarez shopping at this mall. Also, that's genius to build a mall across the street from another mall. I predict this high end mall will fall apart like Northpark Mall in the NE did.

It's nice to hear all these people share their fond memories of working at Farah and sad at the same time. Freaking NAFTA screwed a lot of Americans out of their jobs. Que lastima!
Michael Parks

United States

#11 May 23, 2010
They must have been serving churros for that many el pasoans to gather anywhere
El Segundo

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#12 May 23, 2010
My mother used to work at the Farah off Delta street. I remember every thanksgiving meeting her at work to help her carry the turkey they would receive. This was in the early 70's. When we moved to the eastside as a kid it seemed like it took forever to drive across the Frah building on I-10. Lawsuits are also what made them say its time to call it.
Ramon and Teresa Bueno

Grand Prairie, TX

#13 May 23, 2010
Farah holds a special place in my heart because that's where my husband and I met and got married. He was an inspector and I was a machine operator and that was forty years ago. I still remember the showers,birthdays,and Christmas parties.Sunny and the Sunliners, Little Joe,Javier Solis and of course Vicente bursting out of the loud speakers. And lets not forget the cafeteria. Those are good memories. We will visit the museum this summer when we go for a visit to El Paso. We just wish they would not demolish the "Farah" building. Those days will never return.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#14 May 27, 2010
So why did Farah close down?
Was it because of NAFTA and the slave labor in Mexico that we cannot compete with?
Puppetmaster

AOL

#15 May 30, 2010
Farah gave my cousins jobs. They were too dumb to work anywhere...seriously. God bless them always.
Jim Farah

New York, NY

#16 Jun 2, 2010
Dear EPTimes Readers,

The Farah business continues with 90 consecutive years in business. It's no longer in El Paso because it was sold to Tropical a Florida based business in 1999. Tropical consolidated it's operations in Tampa. Perry Ellis International purchased the brand and the company in 2005 which was then only selling Farah products overseas. PEI is now reintroducing Farah in the US. We all hope they are successful, even though it probably not create jobs again for El Paso.

The entire history of the business will be told over the year that the El Paso Museum of History Exhibit is open. There will be a series of panel discussions organized by UTEP about the whole story in the Fall 2010 and perhaps the Spring of 2011.

All of these comments were interesting and many touching to read.

Sincerely,

Jim Farah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Union uses Wal-Mart workers in TV ad 2:47PM EST (Nov '06) 32 min Virgin farts 14
Poll Before expulsion What did Petro-_Wet Neck's Jua... (Sep '13) 1 hr Mr_D_La_Tuna 8
Why Is Everyone Scared of The Great Petro (Nov '12) 1 hr Mr_D_La_Tuna 129
Why Do My Balls Itch 1 hr Mr_D_La_Tuna 14
News Bill Coon: Helping us know our risk for Type 2 ... 1 hr Mr_D_La_Tuna 1
News Padres call up 3 Chihuahuas players 1 hr Mr_D_La_Tuna 3
Carson is No Obama 2 hr Cadaver Dog 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages