Montana GOP policy: Make homosexualit...

Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal

There are 547 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 18, 2010, titled Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

At a time when gays have been gaining victories across the country, the Republican Party in Montana still wants to make homosexuality illegal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Jul 08

El Paso, TX

#330 Oct 13, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not. I was comparing it to a poster's assertion that if same sex marriage were a valid movement it would not be taking so long to convince people otherwise.
In regards to THIS particular issue I stated that it was a matter between the Roman Catholic Church and its laity and therefore in regards to this particular issue (the refusal of communion to people wearing rainbow buttons) that non-Catholics did not have the right to demand that the Roman Catholic Church not demand obedience FROM ITS OWN MEMBERS.
Context matters. Next time please be certain you understand the context and the background of a particular exchange of posts before you become righteously indignant.
By the way, even though I'm not Catholic, I have a feeling that Catholics would not appreciate their communion wafers being referred to as "rainbow cupcakes".
I sincerely apologize.
Brighton John

Southall, UK

#331 Oct 13, 2010
RIOT wrote:
Read the article again because the reporter made sure it was there but did not correct any comments made on it. The Republican party is against Homosexual ACTS, not homosexuals.
Also, I noticed that it was glossed over but the statement has not been brought up or discussed since 1997? So they missed it they had other issues that were more pressing to deal with.
Naturally the liberals are going to paint the Republican party as the party of hate. Gee, and the liberals don't have any issues? Right, exactly catch the sarcasm there.
Republican party is responsible for black rights. Gee how does that sit now!
Could you resist the necessity of having sex because a political party was against it? Or even if it was made illegal? Come on!
Any party that pushes that agenda is merely creating more artificial "criminals" in a country that already has too many genuine ones.
Moreover, it is programming its own downfall.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#332 Oct 14, 2010
Hopefully you have seen what is important and are out there working for it.
Seeker

Tempe, AZ

#333 Oct 14, 2010
Phrank wrote:
Hopefully you have seen what is important and are out there working for it.
What stories does the PP assign it's crack reporters to? Homosexual stories, of course.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#334 Oct 15, 2010
I saw this on TV last night – It was tremendously moving. I’d like to sit every homophobic holier-than-thou hate mongering bigot down and force them to watch it.

Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns reaches out to GLBT teens with a personal story and a message of hope.
&fe ature=player_embedded

For more coverage, visit the following links: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/ ...
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/FW-Cou ...
http://facebook.com/joelburns1

Albuquerque, NM

#335 Oct 15, 2010
RIOT wrote:
Read the article again because the reporter made sure it was there but did not correct any comments made on it. The Republican party is against Homosexual ACTS, not homosexuals.
Also, I noticed that it was glossed over but the statement has not been brought up or discussed since 1997? So they missed it they had other issues that were more pressing to deal with.
Naturally the liberals are going to paint the Republican party as the party of hate. Gee, and the liberals don't have any issues? Right, exactly catch the sarcasm there.
Republican party is responsible for black rights. Gee how does that sit now!
LIBERALS were responsible for Black Civil Rights. Party had damn little to do with it. None of the R3epublicans who voted for the Civil Rights Act would be welcome in today's racist hate filled party of NO. Hell Barry Goldwater & Ronny Raygun wouldn't be!

AS the chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act... clearly demonstrates, the Civil Rights Act was determined by geography, not Party.
Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.
The original House version:
•Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
•Southern Republicans: 0-10 (0%-100%)
•Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%-6%)
•Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)

The Senate version:
•Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%)(only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
•Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%)(this was Senator John Tower of Texas)
•Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%)(only Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia opposed the measure)
•Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%)(Senators Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa, Edwin L. Mechem of New Mexico, Milward L. Simpson of Wyoming, and Norris H. Cotton of New Hampshire opposed the measure)

El Paso, TX

#336 Oct 15, 2010
PlacitasRoy wrote:
I saw this on TV last night – It was tremendously moving. I’d like to sit every homophobic holier-than-thou hate mongering bigot down and force them to watch it.
Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns reaches out to GLBT teens with a personal story and a message of hope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ax96cghOnY4XX&feature=pla yer_embedded
For more coverage, visit the following links: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/ ...
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/FW-Cou ...
http://facebook.com/joelburns1
There is no such thing as homophobia.
Amen

El Paso, TX

#337 Oct 15, 2010
Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as homophobia.
Sadly Jitney suffers from homophobiaphobia, the fear of homophobia.

United States

#339 Oct 15, 2010
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite common among those self-loathing latent homophobic homosexuals. Often covered up with drugs - ala- Ted Haggard.
Interesting. Gays and their supporters feel the need to categorize opposition to homosexuality as an irrational fear of being homosexual, which is an obvious tactic used by the gay community to silence any dissent.

United States

#342 Oct 15, 2010
Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Gays and their supporters feel the need to categorize opposition to homosexuality as an irrational fear of being homosexual, which is an obvious tactic used by the gay community to silence any dissent.
I have no idea how the 'gay community' feels about it. My statement is simply based on watching homophobes over my 60+ years as a comfortable confident heterosexual civil libertarian.

Nothing will silence ignorant dissent. Tony Perkins, James Dobson, Pat Robertson et al prove that daily.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#343 Oct 15, 2010
Sounds like the GOP in Montana contains a bunch of members of the Christian version of the Taliban.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#344 Oct 16, 2010
Phrank wrote:
<quoted text>
Whiny as usual.
Not whiny and ... well you just keep avoiding the issue.

Eric

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#345 Oct 17, 2010
Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
If only your post were true. You have made no challenge, my friend. What you have done is made a ridiculous claim that you cannot possibly support. For you to say gays have a long-standing widespread documented history of discrimination and oppression in this country, would mean a total revision of history but that is the calling card of the gay community.
Well then, surely you can prove me wrong. You say that I am revising history by stating there is a long standing history of discrimination and oppression of gays in this country.

Pick one event and prove me wrong.

1969 - Police raid the Stonewall Inn in New York, as they had done on several dozens of occasions over the preceeding years. The charges are generally men "fraternizing", kissing, which is illegal at that time in New York State. Gays fight back for the next 3 days.

1977 - Anita Bryant campaigns to overturn a ban on discrimination AGAINST gay in Dade County - she wins, legally enshrining anti-gay discrimination

1978 - Harvey Milk, openly gay SF City Supervisor is assassinated along with heterosexual Mayor and gay rights supporter George Moscone.

1978 - The Briggs initiative is placed on the California State Ballot that would bar any homosexual from any teaching position in the State of California. It loses.

1980 - Jerry Falwell founds the Moral Majority and in one of his first fundraising appeals declares "war" on homosexuals.

1981 - Congress proposes a bill barring any federal funds being spent on pro-gay groups or those advocating pro-gay positions.

1982 - the DOD issues a ruling, later put into law by Congress, that homosexuals cannot serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.

I can keep this up for days. I can go back in time or forward in time to the present and show a clear pattern of anti-homosexual oppression and discrimination.

Surely though, you have data, evidence, proof that shows I'm wrong. Post it if you can.

Eric
Kat

United States

#346 Oct 17, 2010
I think it is irrelevant if people agree with gay people or not, the thing is it shouldn't be illegal. People go around saying that marriage is holy and sacred yet 50% of marriages end in divorce! This is so hypocritical! The people who are going to hell for being gay should take the divorcees with them! Our world has sooooooo many other things to worry and be concerned about other than who Joe down the street is sleepig with!

Location hidden

#347 Oct 17, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Not whiny and ... well you just keep avoiding the issue.
Eric
Give it up. You were served.

Location hidden

#348 Oct 17, 2010
Kat wrote:
I think it is irrelevant if people agree with gay people or not, the thing is it shouldn't be illegal. People go around saying that marriage is holy and sacred yet 50% of marriages end in divorce! This is so hypocritical! The people who are going to hell for being gay should take the divorcees with them! Our world has sooooooo many other things to worry and be concerned about other than who Joe down the street is sleepig with!
Unless Joe down the street insists that the bakery down the street make him rainbow cupcakes.

What that does is make a joke out of the real concerns of the GL community.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#349 Oct 18, 2010
Phrank wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it up. You were served.
Such chutzpah! You either can't or won't - both of which prove me right.

If you can prove me wrong, you would. So you either can not or will not.

Eric

United States

#350 Oct 18, 2010
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea how the 'gay community' feels about it. My statement is simply based on watching homophobes over my 60+ years as a comfortable confident heterosexual civil libertarian.
Nothing will silence ignorant dissent. Tony Perkins, James Dobson, Pat Robertson et al prove that daily.
Homophobes do not exist, my friend. Your statement is based on your blind support for a deviant behavior that makes gender irrelevant pertaining to marriage and the family. The gay agenda is an aggressive agenda that is devoid of any honesty or truth and proves it daily.

United States

#351 Oct 18, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, surely you can prove me wrong. You say that I am revising history by stating there is a long standing history of discrimination and oppression of gays in this country.
Pick one event and prove me wrong.
1969 - Police raid the Stonewall Inn in New York, as they had done on several dozens of occasions over the preceeding years. The charges are generally men "fraternizing", kissing, which is illegal at that time in New York State. Gays fight back for the next 3 days.
1977 - Anita Bryant campaigns to overturn a ban on discrimination AGAINST gay in Dade County - she wins, legally enshrining anti-gay discrimination
1978 - Harvey Milk, openly gay SF City Supervisor is assassinated along with heterosexual Mayor and gay rights supporter George Moscone.
1978 - The Briggs initiative is placed on the California State Ballot that would bar any homosexual from any teaching position in the State of California. It loses.
1980 - Jerry Falwell founds the Moral Majority and in one of his first fundraising appeals declares "war" on homosexuals.
1981 - Congress proposes a bill barring any federal funds being spent on pro-gay groups or those advocating pro-gay positions.
1982 - the DOD issues a ruling, later put into law by Congress, that homosexuals cannot serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.
I can keep this up for days. I can go back in time or forward in time to the present and show a clear pattern of anti-homosexual oppression and discrimination.
Surely though, you have data, evidence, proof that shows I'm wrong. Post it if you can.
Eric
Let's not forget how gays were denied the right to vote and how gays have never served in the U.S. Armed Forces. You should also mention that gays were made to ride in the back of the bus and denied an education. There were ships and plantations filled with gays. Even Abraham Lincoln slept in the same bed with another man and that is the real reason he was assassinated. How does the murder of Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone support a long-standing widespread documented history of discrimination/oppression against gays? Actually, it proves the opposite, my friend the time traveler.
Livin Woodbury

Saint Paul, MN

#352 Oct 18, 2010
Gays are the predator not the victim. beware of the wolf in sheeps clothing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas AG Ken Paxton 31 min carnalito brown 1
Help! Does anyone know of a veterinarian or ani... 4 hr Help Me Help Me 1
News Disabled vet parking rules cause much confusion (Apr '08) 6 hr Seasoldier 276
National Cowboy Day 14 hr huey goins 18
Estela Casas' son featured on KVIA (Nov '12) 18 hr SJM 41
The Albatross Around Trump's Neck 18 hr DC Dave 4
News El Paso Naturally Texas' westernmost city thriv... 19 hr DC Dave 11

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages