Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal

Full story: TwinCities.com

At a time when gays have been gaining victories across the country, the Republican Party in Montana still wants to make homosexuality illegal.
Comments
281 - 300 of 547 Comments Last updated Dec 17, 2010

Since: Jul 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Coy91 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are these numbers and this data compiled?
The LGBT community is it? You can find out all you need to know my friend. However, they will not be honest with you about "numbers" and "data compiled".

“You'll love me!”

Since: Sep 10

I promise.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
The LGBT community is it? You can find out all you need to know my friend. However, they will not be honest with you about "numbers" and "data compiled".
Surely if you are aware of this fact then there must be a bastion of truth somewhere? Where is it?
RIOT

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Read the article again because the reporter made sure it was there but did not correct any comments made on it. The Republican party is against Homosexual ACTS, not homosexuals.
Also, I noticed that it was glossed over but the statement has not been brought up or discussed since 1997? So they missed it they had other issues that were more pressing to deal with.
Naturally the liberals are going to paint the Republican party as the party of hate. Gee, and the liberals don't have any issues? Right, exactly catch the sarcasm there.
Republican party is responsible for black rights. Gee how does that sit now!
Toxic Sludge

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

RIOT wrote:
Read the article again because the reporter made sure it was there but did not correct any comments made on it. The Republican party is against Homosexual ACTS, not homosexuals.
Also, I noticed that it was glossed over but the statement has not been brought up or discussed since 1997? So they missed it they had other issues that were more pressing to deal with.
Naturally the liberals are going to paint the Republican party as the party of hate. Gee, and the liberals don't have any issues? Right, exactly catch the sarcasm there.
Republican party is responsible for black rights. Gee how does that sit now!
The Democrats don't need to paint the Republican party as the party of hate, they're doing it to themselves. Hate AND Fear. They hate and fear homosexuals, atheists, Muslims, Mexicans, and liberals. What a bunch of wusses! The GOP should stand for Grand Old Phobics.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You think that gays "do not have a long-standing widespread documented history of discrimination or oppression in this country."
I said that where?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Point taken. You're right. I do NOT know how you have voted or what you fight for. I apologize for speculating on things I cannot know to a certainty.
I can only cite all your posts here which have been solidly anti-gay. If you like I will assemble one post with a selection of your anti-gay comments.
So, if you HAVE seen the gay community "frothing at the mouth about the rainbow cookies", CITE YOUR SOURCE!! PROVE IT! If you have evidence then it should be easy for you to post it and share it for all of us here to read.
Eric
Anti gay?? Or am I anti selfish idiots phuoking things up for those who want true equality?
Am I Anti whining about rainbow cupcakes or or am I pro equality?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Point taken. You're right. I do NOT know how you have voted or what you fight for. I apologize for speculating on things I cannot know to a certainty.
I can only cite all your posts here which have been solidly anti-gay. If you like I will assemble one post with a selection of your anti-gay comments.
So, if you HAVE seen the gay community "frothing at the mouth about the rainbow cookies", CITE YOUR SOURCE!! PROVE IT! If you have evidence then it should be easy for you to post it and share it for all of us here to read.
Eric
You are proof. RE READ YOUR OWN POSTS. Using the topic as a launch pad for every REAL problem the GL community faces. Shame on you!

And I would love to talk to Mathew's mother. She would hate what you are doing here. And yes I know her too. Imagine that!!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

Coy91 wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely if you are aware of this fact then there must be a bastion of truth somewhere? Where is it?
Well we know for sure the truth is no where to be found in the gay community. So you have to be able to discern what they say and what they actually do, my friend.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot possibly compare slavery or the history of discrimination against Blacks and women in this country to gays being refused rainbow cupcakes.
I'm not. I was comparing it to a poster's assertion that if same sex marriage were a valid movement it would not be taking so long to convince people otherwise.

In regards to THIS particular issue I stated that it was a matter between the Roman Catholic Church and its laity and therefore in regards to this particular issue (the refusal of communion to people wearing rainbow buttons) that non-Catholics did not have the right to demand that the Roman Catholic Church not demand obedience FROM ITS OWN MEMBERS.

Context matters. Next time please be certain you understand the context and the background of a particular exchange of posts before you become righteously indignant.

By the way, even though I'm not Catholic, I have a feeling that Catholics would not appreciate their communion wafers being referred to as "rainbow cupcakes".
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not. I was comparing it to a poster's assertion that if same sex marriage were a valid movement it would not be taking so long to convince people otherwise.
In regards to THIS particular issue I stated that it was a matter between the Roman Catholic Church and its laity and therefore in regards to this particular issue (the refusal of communion to people wearing rainbow buttons) that non-Catholics did not have the right to demand that the Roman Catholic Church not demand obedience FROM ITS OWN MEMBERS.
Context matters. Next time please be certain you understand the context and the background of a particular exchange of posts before you become righteously indignant.
By the way, even though I'm not Catholic, I have a feeling that Catholics would not appreciate their communion wafers being referred to as "rainbow cupcakes".
And here I've done EXACTLY what I accused you of doing, Jitney and for that I humbly apologize. I thought, because of your last sentence that this was the thread about the Catholics being refused communion because they were wearing rainbow buttons.

But this is the Montana GOP wanting to make homosexuality illegal thread.

OK to really answer your question. Yes, I think gay civil rights are just as important as black civil rights and women's civil rights. I don't believe that homosexuality is a CHOICE. Celibacy is a choice but one's sexual orientation is not a choice.

So to me, outlawing homosexuality (ie same sex sexual orientation) would be the equivalent of outlawing a particular race or outlawing MS, or Downs or any other thing that a person is BORN with. It is ridiculous on the face of it.

Laws can be passed regarding actions but if said actions harm no one else then it can very well be seen as an attack upon a person's civil rights.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

Jitney wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I post with supreme confidence that gays do not possess a long-standing widespread documented history of discrimination or oppression in this country. You are willing to say, my friend, that ALL gays and lesbians have been denied government employment, enlistment in the military and have been arrested for holding hands in every state since the creation of this great nation - wow what an accusation. Gays are not victims my friend. Now let me address these suicides. Bullies are being blamed, which is outrageous when the possibility of a bullying gene may very well exist. Either that or it is the size of their brains or the ridges of their index finger. These so-called bullies are just reacting to those claiming to be homosexual, which is clearly supported by the 14th Amendment. It is what the framers intended.
"Supreme confidence", you say. Yet you still have

NO proof
NO facts
NO citation
NO sources
NO evidence

You have NOTHING, nothing but your word which makes all you say mere opinion, UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINION. Without supporting evidence, you have nothing.

If you have such "supreme confidence" then you should EASILY be able to prove it. You've been challenged now TWICE by me and still, you supply not even ONE piece of evidence.

Eric

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

Phrank wrote:
<quoted text>
You are proof. RE READ YOUR OWN POSTS. Using the topic as a launch pad for every REAL problem the GL community faces. Shame on you!
And I would love to talk to Mathew's mother. She would hate what you are doing here. And yes I know her too. Imagine that!!
Actually, I do know Judy and no, she would not be ashamed of what I'm doing here or any where I work to support LGBT rights.

In fact, a search of Judy Shepard's positions on LGBT rights, makes it clear where her support lies, which to be clear, is very much PRO-LGBT rights.

Judy is very much against the topic of this thread. Her positions on this are very clear. Her son was murdered because he was gay and she does not want a world where parents have to bury their children who are murdered for being gay. She does not want homosexuality be made illegal by Montana or any State.

Eric

“I'm not gay, I'm celisexual!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I do know Judy and no, she would not be ashamed of what I'm doing here or any where I work to support LGBT rights.
In fact, a search of Judy Shepard's positions on LGBT rights, makes it clear where her support lies, which to be clear, is very much PRO-LGBT rights.
Judy is very much against the topic of this thread. Her positions on this are very clear. Her son was murdered because he was gay and she does not want a world where parents have to bury their children who are murdered for being gay. She does not want homosexuality be made illegal by Montana or any State.
Eric
Hi Eric. I read Ms. Shepard's book "The Meaning of Matthew" earlier this year. It was very moving and insightful. Although at the time Matthew was killed I was "out" I am rather surprised at how little I was aware of the incident. She really did a brilliant job of bringing her son to life in the pages of that book.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

The Virgin Queen1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Eric. I read Ms. Shepard's book "The Meaning of Matthew" earlier this year. It was very moving and insightful. Although at the time Matthew was killed I was "out" I am rather surprised at how little I was aware of the incident. She really did a brilliant job of bringing her son to life in the pages of that book.
The image of Matthew being all but crucified is one that will forever be etched in my brain. That Matthew was beaten nearly to death and tied to that fence in freezing temperatures, was even more heinously evil.

VQ - I like you and respect you even while disagreeing with you, but that you were so unaware of this, simply shows me how out of touch with the world you are, at least you were at that time. I hope that has changed. I've said it before but those that would come after the Matthew Shepard's of this world would equally come after you.

Just over a week ago we had 6 suicides to mirror 6 days of creation. 6 lights of life driven to be destroyed by the hate of others.

Eric

“I'm not gay, I'm celisexual!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
The image of Matthew being all but crucified is one that will forever be etched in my brain. That Matthew was beaten nearly to death and tied to that fence in freezing temperatures, was even more heinously evil.
VQ - I like you and respect you even while disagreeing with you, but that you were so unaware of this, simply shows me how out of touch with the world you are, at least you were at that time. I hope that has changed. I've said it before but those that would come after the Matthew Shepard's of this world would equally come after you.
Just over a week ago we had 6 suicides to mirror 6 days of creation. 6 lights of life driven to be destroyed by the hate of others.
Eric
I wasn't totally unaware of this; many months after the fact I remember reading an article about Matthew Shepherd and maybe the incident was mentioned to me. I just don't remember having any discussions about it. From Mrs. Shephard's book the weeks surrounding Matthew's beating and death brought an outpouring of reaction in the gay community that I just don't remember in my own gay circle of friends. I really don't remember about Matthew until months after the fact. Out of touch? Perhaps. I was too busy working, playing, and being young to pay attention to world affairs. However, the gruesome details of Matthew's murders give some credibility to the saying that ignorance (of the ugliness that surrounds us in this world) is bliss.

Anyway, I believe Mrs. Shepherd did a great service in writing that book as she made Matthew more human. I had heard Matthew was HIV positive but as it came from a homophobic source I didn't really believe it until seeing it confirmed in that book. I didn't know Matthew had been raped as a teenager. Her discussing of the personal problems he was experiencing when he was killed made the book so much more poignant. I know some people will always have contempt for Matthew Shepherd because he was gay, but hopefully Mrs. Shepherd's book will cause a few people to take another look at their own attitudes towards their fellow human beings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric
She doesn't want GLs fighting about cupcakes when deeper problems exist.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

Phrank wrote:
<quoted text>
She doesn't want GLs fighting about cupcakes when deeper problems exist.
How convenient for you to constantly change the conditions of the argument. You did not start out specifying anything connecting Judy Shepard and the cupcake incident. Disingenuous at best.

Eric

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
How convenient for you to constantly change the conditions of the argument. You did not start out specifying anything connecting Judy Shepard and the cupcake incident. Disingenuous at best.
Eric
Whiny as usual.
Jaded

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws allowing gay marriage will eventually pass. Interracial marriage was also illegal through a good part of the 20th century. I just don't get why people want to mess with others' civil rights? How about make a law that you cannot be willingly ignorant?
I doubt that gay marriage will pass. I think people need the ability to deny someone something, or else what they have is not as valuable. If everyone could afford to drive a hummer, there are people that would go back to volkswagon beetles. You know I am right. Defining marriage as something between one man and one woman allows people to look down their noses at someone else. Most heterosexual marriages end in divorce. BUT... if you can keep gays from marrying, well then it just proves that heterosexual marriage is an instituion that is sacred and needs to be protected from "those deviants". Never mind that a good percentage of those heterosexual marriages are ones where one or both parties are having extra marital relations. No, I think that people LIKE the ability to deny someone something. My opinion on gay marriage is this: if you are so concerned about gay marriage, then don't marry a gay person. What people do in the privacy of their own homes/bedrooms does not affect you (unless it is your bedroom they are doing it in). I'm not sure what preventing gays from getting married accomplishes, EXCEPT to give people the right to deny someone else something. It is discrimination pure and simple. You are denying someone something. Maybe that makes you feel big and powerful because you have that right, it just shows how small minded you are about not giving people rights that should not be denied to them in the first place. Let people live their lives. If gays marry and then decide they made a mistake, they would have to go through the same expensive divorce proceedings as heterosexual couples. I think that only serious minded individuals would acutally make that commitment. However, it's not about what is fair or just. It's about the power that people have to refuse to someone something. It's plain and simple

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Judged:

gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
"Supreme confidence", you say. Yet you still have
NO proof
NO facts
NO citation
NO sources
NO evidence
You have NOTHING, nothing but your word which makes all you say mere opinion, UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINION. Without supporting evidence, you have nothing.
If you have such "supreme confidence" then you should EASILY be able to prove it. You've been challenged now TWICE by me and still, you supply not even ONE piece of evidence.
Eric
If only your post were true. You have made no challenge, my friend. What you have done is made a ridiculous claim that you cannot possibly support. For you to say gays have a long-standing widespread documented history of discrimination and oppression in this country, would mean a total revision of history but that is the calling card of the gay community.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the El Paso Forum right now

Search the El Paso Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 11 min Corrupt 17,222
Fund ONLY the Fence 42 min Condemn Arab brotherhood 9
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Defiant1 21,675
Taxpayers foot the bill for undocumented immigr... 1 hr L Morales 63
Jury deliberates punishment in fatal beating of... 6 hr Imperial Chicano 4
KFOX-TV DOTA signal went off-air at 11:47am MDT... 8 hr dead air 5
New bus stops along Mesa street 11 hr Imperial Chicano 12
•••

Flash Flood Watch for El Paso County was issued at July 31 at 5:55AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••