Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal

Full story: TwinCities.com

At a time when gays have been gaining victories across the country, the Republican Party in Montana still wants to make homosexuality illegal.
Comments
1 - 20 of 547 Comments Last updated Dec 17, 2010
First Prev
of 28
Next Last
sc voter

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

5

1

1

In a civil society, you have the absolute right to express your opinion freely, but also the responsibility to use decency and common sense in doing so.
Noozie

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

That's today's second article about gays. Not much else happening.

I cannot understand why the Montana GOP would bother with this. Surely it is not an issue that will make a difference at the state level, one way or the other, in terms of whom is elected. And, I don't buy into the liberal media tripe about "changing values," seeing as how EVERY time it has been put to the vote of the people, same-sex marriage has been rejected (30 for 30 so far).

But that's not the issue here, it's private conduct. Most Americans, just about anywhere you, don't really care. Yet isn't Montana a place where one can drink alcoholic beverages while driving a vehicle? Have they changed that yet?

Or could it be that leftists have infiltrated the Montana GOP, probably under the guise of "ministers," in hopes of embarrassing the party? Wouldn't surprise me. A few years ago there was a related Supreme Court case (Lawrence vs Texas) that would seem to override anything Montana does. Surely the state GOP is not seeking to have that case reviewed, seeing as how even the conservative opposition justices didn't think that criminalizing homosexual conduct was a good idea, merely that the state could pass such a law without federal intervention.
Noozie

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Update: Today's online news feed has THREE articles about gays, not just two.
Monty Python

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

16

10

10

Why are Republicans so afraid of everything? They fear gays. They fear Muslims. They fear immigrants. They fear socialists. They fear the NAACP. They fear the ACLU. They fear Obama. They fear change. They fear regulations. They fear reform. Is the GOP the party of FEAR?
trans78turbo

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

6

6

5

Despite the fact that this is the 21st century, we still have simple, narrow, and close minded people in America. It is more frightened to know that we have them in our political parties but then again, this is coming from a state that thinks drinking and driving is perfectly fine and legal. This anti-gay Republican member(s) in Montana should get out of politics and built a house way up in the mountains, take everything needed to survive, take a dog just in case food runs out and go and live there till you rotten, you don't have a place within a diverse society.
need an answer

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Monty Python wrote:
Why are Republicans so afraid of everything? They fear gays. They fear Muslims. They fear immigrants. They fear socialists. They fear the NAACP. They fear the ACLU. They fear Obama. They fear change. They fear regulations. They fear reform. Is the GOP the party of FEAR?
YES!
uh Clem

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

7

6

4

This problem will all get cleared up once we switch to Sharia Law.
Garbage In

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

8

6

6

God bless common sense....when americans vote on gay marriage it is always rejected. God decides if gays are deviant we cannot do much about that.
Aps

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 18, 2010
 
sc voter wrote:
In a civil society, you have the absolute right to express your opinion freely, but also the responsibility to use decency and common sense in doing so.
I agree! By law it's OK. But why be caught and killed for it?
jess92

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

8

8

7

This must have been written by a gay guy. The people have spoken in many states by striking down attempts to make homosexual marriage legal. The vast majority of Americans don't want society to become pro-gay, not due to fear but a repulsion. Homophobia is not a fear but an aversion to the unnatural and unhealthy lifestyle.
gop to go to looneybin

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

what?? you mean no more lesbian pornos from montana?? boo!!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

5

3

2

NoMT wrote:
Montana -- where the men are men and the sheep are scared.
As any member of the Montana GOP will tell you, sheep are notorious liars...
Elroy Beamer

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Q: Why did the Montanan go over the cliff?

A: He couldn't make a ewe turn!

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Garbage In wrote:
God bless common sense....when americans vote on gay marriage it is always rejected. God decides if gays are deviant we cannot do much about that.
If god thinks gays are deviant, why would she make so many of them?

Had the American people voted on equal rights for Blacks, Indians, or Spanish, that would have been defeated as well.

Had the American people voted on integrating the military, that too would have been defeated.
Had the American people voted on voted on doing away with "separate but equal segregation, that too would have been defeated.

Had the American people voted on doing away with anti-miscegenation laws that too would have been defeated.

If the American people were allowed to vote on the Bill of Rights today, they would reject it.
what

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Garbage In wrote:
God bless common sense....when americans vote on gay marriage it is always rejected. God decides if gays are deviant we cannot do much about that.
Laws allowing gay marriage will eventually pass. Interracial marriage was also illegal through a good part of the 20th century. I just don't get why people want to mess with others' civil rights? How about make a law that you cannot be willingly ignorant?
No its

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
If god thinks gays are deviant, why would she make so many of them?
Had the American people voted on equal rights for Blacks, Indians, or Spanish, that would have been defeated as well.
Had the American people voted on integrating the military, that too would have been defeated.
Had the American people voted on voted on doing away with "separate but equal segregation, that too would have been defeated.
Had the American people voted on doing away with anti-miscegenation laws that too would have been defeated.
If the American people were allowed to vote on the Bill of Rights today, they would reject it.
Allah that thinks gays are deviant.
OK If

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

what wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws allowing gay marriage will eventually pass. Interracial marriage was also illegal through a good part of the 20th century. I just don't get why people want to mess with others' civil rights? How about make a law that you cannot be willingly ignorant?
the law also includes those like you who are unwillingly ignorant.
Dr Licole

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

3

No its wrote:
<quoted text>Allah that thinks gays are deviant.
Irrelevant

Since: Aug 10

Here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

At a time when gays have been gaining victories across the country????

Montana Human Rights Network organizer Kim Abbott said the GOP platform statement does not represent the attitudes of most Montanans, and it shows that the party is out of touch with the prevalent view of the people they are supposed to represent.

Not when the country is allowed to have a voice. The only advancement for gays has come through liberal judges. In the 2008 elections 7 states had gay issues on their ballots and the voice of the people said no to each one in all 7 states... which makes Kim Abbotts statement false.

Since: Aug 10

Here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Sep 19, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Take a look at the other stories MATT VOLZ has authored. A little one sided?

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MATT+VOLZ-a1107...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Watch for El Paso County was issued at August 27 at 12:41AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

El Paso News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Paso
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••