Former owner watches demolition of Wh...

Former owner watches demolition of White Elephant Bowling Alley

There are 19 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jul 28, 2010, titled Former owner watches demolition of White Elephant Bowling Alley. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The crash of bowling pins hitting the floor at El Paso's first bowling alley was long ago silenced, but the building remained as a reminder of the business' long life in El Paso.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Palmieri

Port Salerno, FL

#1 Jul 28, 2010
Memories,memories.Benny,im waiting for a reunion.We must have one before we leave this earth.MUALL.
Chimichanga

El Paso, TX

#2 Jul 28, 2010
It should have been saved as a historic landmark.
Our history is flowing away!!! Waaaahhhhhh!!!!!
Fran in Austin

Laredo, TX

#3 Jul 28, 2010
I remember going to the bowling alley with my dad and mom when I was a little girl back in the 50's. I don't think the lanes were automated at that time. I would sit quietly at the score keeping table with my mother and watch my dad bowl for what seemed like an eternity.
johnny blaze

United States

#4 Jul 28, 2010
I live in segundo as a kid and remember going into that place from time to time back in the 80's
Fran in Austin

Laredo, TX

#5 Jul 28, 2010
I agree with Chimichanga. I spent the summer in Boston and talk about historic buildings! They were everywhere. El Paso is famous for razing their history and then building parking lots in its place.
mmm

El Paso, TX

#6 Jul 28, 2010
Fran in Austin wrote:
I agree with Chimichanga. I spent the summer in Boston and talk about historic buildings! They were everywhere. El Paso is famous for razing their history and then building parking lots in its place.
I think she was being sarcastic...
whatever

Austin, TX

#7 Jul 28, 2010
so sad I used to bowl in that bowling alley
Bobby Bag O Donuts

El Paso, TX

#8 Jul 28, 2010
Fran in Austin wrote:
He was being sarcastic. We spend way too much trying to hold onto old buildings that prevent the way for new ones....more modern, efficient and usable.
angelinaa

El Paso, TX

#9 Jul 28, 2010
whatss really sad is people being sad over this haha wowwww
Ronstr

El Paso, TX

#10 Jul 28, 2010
Cool bowling alley. GREAT food, though. If I remember correctly, the restaurant owner in the bowling alley is the owner of all the La Malinches in town.

Honestly, I thought the building was gone years ago.
JRMaynard3

United States

#11 Jul 28, 2010
Bobby Bag O Donuts wrote:
<quoted text>
He was being sarcastic. We spend way too much trying to hold onto old buildings that prevent the way for new ones....more modern, efficient and usable.
Maybe so, but Boston IS keen on its history and the preservation thereof. I just walked the Paul Revere trail through the North End this morning and there's nothing in EP that compares. Sure will be a bummer coming back to that dump.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#12 Jul 28, 2010
He saw the White Elephant go down, then later in the night was watching Pink Elephants go up!
Paso Del N

Portland, TX

#13 Jul 28, 2010
Im glad el paso is moving forward... even if its not on a master plan like proposed it is slowly become a reality. Thank God we didn't have any of those stinkin protesters.
Bobby Bag O Donuts

El Paso, TX

#14 Jul 28, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe so, but Boston IS keen on its history and the preservation thereof. I just walked the Paul Revere trail through the North End this morning and there's nothing in EP that compares. Sure will be a bummer coming back to that dump.
Boston. Been around for a few hundred years and there's buildings there worth preserving. El Paso on the noth bank of the river dates to...what 1890?

A brick building built in 1925 is not historic, it's often just a white elephant.
Poser Blaster

El Paso, TX

#15 Jul 28, 2010
Fran in Austin wrote:
Saving old buildings cost lots of money. Of course that's a luxury our economy cannot currently provide.
A Palmieri

Palm City, FL

#16 Aug 1, 2010
It just sunk in.I can't believe there going to demolish that building.So many memories,so many friends I had made in that house.Anyone remember the Keglers Club? Serna,Muttnick,Alveraz,Koko.To many to list.I wonder if Luis and chito from Parral are still with us.What a class act they were.
Your Amigo RM

AOL

#17 Aug 1, 2010
Benny thanks for the old glass brick you gave me from the old White Elephant!
_Arrrrrrr

Palo Alto, CA

#18 Aug 2, 2010
JRMaynard3 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe so, but Boston IS keen on its history and the preservation thereof. I just walked the Paul Revere trail through the North End this morning and there's nothing in EP that compares. Sure will be a bummer coming back to that dump.
Why do you want to be ignorant and snobish and compare El Paso with Boston? Compare Boston with San Francisco and you know we leave you wistling in the dust.
Thats more like it.
STAY IN BOSTON, EL PASO DONT NEED YOUR TIPO.
Laura Velasquez

Norwalk, CA

#19 Jan 30, 2013
I am looking for my grandfather who worked many years at the white elephant, his name is Velasquez. His son my father is Pedro Velasquez.
Does any one know of him? Please let me know!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman arrested at traffic stop had warrants, drugs 3 hr JunkySympathizer 33
Rep. Sam Johnson R.Texas 5 hr Inquisitor 1
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 6 hr butters_ 23,816
News Knoxville police arrest 2 men in stolen car fro... 6 hr butters_ 1
No Nativity scene at San Jacinto Plaza this year 9 hr DC Dave Detector 64
Reason #1,255 to stop mestizos from entering In... 9 hr Inquistor Detector 13
News Border officials seize 132 pounds of contraband... 15 hr DC Dave 4

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages