Embezzlement of millions alleged

Full story: El Paso Times 68
Robert "Bob" Jones, the former president of the National Center for the Employment of the Disabled who was recognized for his business acumen in 2005, was arrested Tuesday by the FBI along with two others on ... Full Story
Great Job

El Paso, TX

#41 Oct 15, 2008
Bob Jones had alot more people helping him carry out this corruption. Jones wasn't superman. So he thought he was.
the thruth

United States

#42 Oct 15, 2008
amazing that there has not been many lawyers caught yet since that profession is on of the sleaziest profession. They are like roaches waiting to come out to eat of the waste.If they start investigating so call nonprofit organization they will find how this is also a money pit for people to suck blood of too. All you have to do is set up shop claim to be helping the locals in emporwerment zone and live of the fat .Good job on the FBI it seems to be the only decent profession in law inforcement.
El Paul

United States

#43 Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, "business acumen". How about swindling abilities?
Do You Mean it

El Paso, TX

#44 Oct 15, 2008
Will justice really be served? Will they finally go to prison. Will all of these convicts finally go to prison?
saladspinner

El Paso, TX

#45 Oct 16, 2008
Van-Zandt does not get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Those jobs were meant for blind and severly disabled people. Jones hired mostly able bodied people (speaking Spanish does not qualify as disability under this provision of the federal hiring laws). In doing so, they were able to produce uniforms at a much higher rate than a truly disabled workforce would. Because of this, they realized a much higher "pay for piece" price for each article of clothing produced by the able bodied workforce, generating huge profits.
They are crooks and did not create 4,000 jobs. They stole those jobs from the people they were intended for and wound up with the profit in their pockets.
Wait a minute now. Everyone seems to know it all. Uh...there were jobs created indeed and money brought into El Paso as a result. There were thousands of people who had a decent wage. Not a good wage, a decent one. While Jones may hang for his greed and a few others may hang with him, the State of Texas is complicit in sending so-called disabled clients from it various taxpayer-funded agencies using Medicaid funds to be placed in jobs at NCED. The counselors were well aware their clients didn't meet the standards set by the federal government relating to severely disabled. Also NCED had military contracts to make uniforms in a hurry. No way severely disabled employees could meet the government's need for uniforms in that time frame. It was hard work and required able bodies. Jones is the face of NCED but there were hundreds of people involved for their own benefit, not always about money. This book has a thousand chapters and we'll never know much more than the beginning and the end. There are two characters. The hero and the villian...both are Bob Jones.
Bullshit

El Paso, TX

#46 Oct 16, 2008
saladspinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute now. Everyone seems to know it all. Uh...there were jobs created indeed and money brought into El Paso as a result. There were thousands of people who had a decent wage. Not a good wage, a decent one. While Jones may hang for his greed and a few others may hang with him, the State of Texas is complicit in sending so-called disabled clients from it various taxpayer-funded agencies using Medicaid funds to be placed in jobs at NCED. The counselors were well aware their clients didn't meet the standards set by the federal government relating to severely disabled. Also NCED had military contracts to make uniforms in a hurry. No way severely disabled employees could meet the government's need for uniforms in that time frame. It was hard work and required able bodies. Jones is the face of NCED but there were hundreds of people involved for their own benefit, not always about money. This book has a thousand chapters and we'll never know much more than the beginning and the end. There are two characters. The hero and the villian...both are Bob Jones.
Jones is no hero and never was to anybody. The real heros here are the FBI who are protecting us. Anyone who knew Jones and his associates knew these cruel and heartless people would skrrewww anyone over for a dime.
why

El Paso, TX

#47 Oct 16, 2008
you people need to wait until a federal judge says guilty before you throw him under a bus!!!! and to the person who made the comment about the pig... how do you know what a pig sounds like when its being screwed??? GROW UP!!!
Yeah Right

El Paso, TX

#48 Oct 16, 2008
why wrote:
you people need to wait until a federal judge says guilty before you throw him under a bus!!!! and to the person who made the comment about the pig... how do you know what a pig sounds like when its being screwed??? GROW UP!!!
Whatever you say MRS. Jones
Yeah Right

El Paso, TX

#49 Oct 16, 2008
why wrote:
Suuure. Whatever you say MRS Jones

Since: Jun 08

El Paso

#50 Oct 16, 2008
Van-Zandt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dow down 733points today, people needing a 720 credit score at least to buy a car, more job losses, etc etc.
Add all that up, the majority of people cannot afford your proposal.
Even if they did, probably the typical family would prefer a memorable party/event for the memories, etc than putting some panels on their roof. If you don't belive me ask your neighbors!
You are probably right about the decision making process from MOST families in the area. They don't see the long-term benefit in their pockets. It is just that people are completely unaware of what is photovoltaic.

El Paso

#51 Oct 16, 2008
JUTEP jou jellow dogs wrote:
Solar energy is not feasible for el paso, not with current technology. If it was, it would have been done already. This is a poor city. Some new industry would have to arrive here for that to happen and there's not much incentive for such a thing. Maybe one day, but not any time soon. If it happens it's more likely to be following a larger trend from elsewhere. You're dreaming if you think you can start it here, but hey, go ahead and try.
How could you say that solar energy isn't feasible for El Paso? Is it because the family income might not support it? or Because you think that the photovoltaic technology is not well developed?

There are incentives offered by the federal government (Department of Energy). The problem is our city leaders don't want to do anything. City leaders and the private sector (banking industry) could get together and develop an incentive plan for homeowners and make it affordable. I guess it would be too much to ask since it requires a bit of work.
Arrested

El Paso, TX

#52 Oct 16, 2008
Carlos - Eastside wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you say that solar energy isn't feasible for El Paso? Is it because the family income might not support it? or Because you think that the photovoltaic technology is not well developed?
There are incentives offered by the federal government (Department of Energy). The problem is our city leaders don't want to do anything. City leaders and the private sector (banking industry) could get together and develop an incentive plan for homeowners and make it affordable. I guess it would be too much to ask since it requires a bit of work.
What does this have to do with the topic of how Bob Jones has been arrested faces decades of prison and he is just the tip of the iceberg of people who will be arrested????
To the ignorant people

El Paso, TX

#53 Oct 20, 2008
Bob Jones and Patrick Woods have contributed GREATLY to the El Paso community and not only is it immature, ridiculous and flat out IGNORANT to post negative and slanderous comments about their character, it is also downright UNGRATEFUL. If you did your homework, which many of you clearly did not, you would see the immense amount of good they have done for our community. They have donated not only money, but THEIR TIME to numerous non-profit organizations in the city as well as several worthy causes, such as education, children and families. Who knows, maybe some of the commenters on here have benefited from the generosity of these men. I agree with the modern day Robin Hood comparison. Everyone was all smiles when the donation checks were coming in, don't be hypocrites El Pasoans. I have absolute and total faith that these men will be cleared, which might be naive on my part, but that's my perogative, right? GOOD PEOPLE DON'T DESERVE THIS!
Do You Know Who I Am

United States

#54 Oct 24, 2008
Having worked in a facility that Bob Jones visited quite often and had connections with, all I can say is when he walked in with his arrogant attitiude saying (quote)
" DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM"
Yes Bob we know who you are and so will all those men in prison when they get finished with you. You will get what is coming to you. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!
Abuse

El Paso, TX

#55 Oct 24, 2008
Do You Know Who I Am wrote:
Having worked in a facility that Bob Jones visited quite often and had connections with, all I can say is when he walked in with his arrogant attitiude saying (quote)
" DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM"
Yes Bob we know who you are and so will all those men in prison when they get finished with you. You will get what is coming to you. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!
The reason why they probably worked around blind, hearing impaired and handicap people is that they could get away with severe abuses and there wouldn't be anyone who could really report it. Thanks goodness the goverment took this sort of emotional violence and theft towards the disabled seriously. All along they thought they were getting away with illegal crimes but really they were being watched by the most powerful organization in the world. Think twice before you hurt the innocent, because there might be a bigger person, in this case a government, after you.
Citizen

United States

#56 Oct 30, 2008
Abuse wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason why they probably worked around blind, hearing impaired and handicap people is that they could get away with severe abuses and there wouldn't be anyone who could really report it. Thanks goodness the goverment took this sort of emotional violence and theft towards the disabled seriously. All along they thought they were getting away with illegal crimes but really they were being watched by the most powerful organization in the world. Think twice before you hurt the innocent, because there might be a bigger person, in this case a government, after you.
They were no real handicapped people there remember, that is one of the reasons this investigation started.
Pathetic

El Paso, TX

#57 Nov 3, 2008
Van-Zandt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dow down 733points today, people needing a 720 credit score at least to buy a car, more job losses, etc etc.
Add all that up, the majority of people cannot afford your proposal.
Even if they did, probably the typical family would prefer a memorable party/event for the memories, etc than putting some panels on their roof. If you don't belive me ask your neighbors!
Maybe you have your Juarez neighbors on your mind when you write these idiotic things.

720 credit score to buy a car??? Are you friggin joking dude? Maybe for Juarenos trying to buy cars in El Paso, sure. But you can buy a car in the U.S. with ZERO CREDIT, you idiot. I'm surprised nobody else had called you out on your nonsense.

How cheap is your proverbial Chevy when gas costs upwards of $3 a gallon (we don't have gov't subsidized gas like in beautiful Mexico)? Fact of the matter is, if a person installs this system on their house, often times they are selling electricity BACK TO THE UTILITY, meaning the system pays itself off even sooner.

Are you saying you can't get a home improvement loan to finance this kind of system? You can get a loan for a $40K Chevy gas guzzler SUV, can't you? So your logic is flawed.

Your opinions are a perfect example of why NOBODY in the ENTIRE WORLD looks to Mexico as an example of a progressive energy policy, or as an example of anything other than what NOT to do if they want to be successful.
Pathetic

El Paso, TX

#58 Nov 3, 2008
Carlos - Eastside wrote:
<quoted text>
All the city has to do is put some money and time behind it (in the form of salaried grant writers and researchers) and the Federal and State funding is there to be had. This city exhibits too much of the mentality seen in people like Van-Zandt (who is from Juarez of all places). There are PLENTY of national and state programs designed to reward the use of alternative energy sources, and photovoltaic and power-electronics technology exists that make it relatively cheap and easy to convert solar energy into alternating current electricity, even on a relatively large scale.

Here's another idea: why doesn't the city of El Paso in conjunction with UTEP, with all that sunlight we get, put together a proposal to provide some kind of research into the implementation of such technologies (rather than the high-minded doctoral and post-doc thesis type device research that they're currently doing) so as to reduce pollution, reduce our dependence on foreign petroleum, and take advantage of a resource that occurs naturally in the area?

El Paso

#59 Nov 7, 2008
Pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>
All the city has to do is put some money and time behind it (in the form of salaried grant writers and researchers) and the Federal and State funding is there to be had. This city exhibits too much of the mentality seen in people like Van-Zandt (who is from Juarez of all places). There are PLENTY of national and state programs designed to reward the use of alternative energy sources, and photovoltaic and power-electronics technology exists that make it relatively cheap and easy to convert solar energy into alternating current electricity, even on a relatively large scale.
Here's another idea: why doesn't the city of El Paso in conjunction with UTEP, with all that sunlight we get, put together a proposal to provide some kind of research into the implementation of such technologies (rather than the high-minded doctoral and post-doc thesis type device research that they're currently doing) so as to reduce pollution, reduce our dependence on foreign petroleum, and take advantage of a resource that occurs naturally in the area?
Finally, someone who knows what he's talking about. Utep initiated a research program on photovolteic but for some reason they abandoned it. I guess it was not popular for them. Now with the new president, UTEP should start the program again since Obama said he will invest in research of production of green energy.
WTH

El Paso, TX

#60 Nov 7, 2008
Carlos - Eastside wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally, someone who knows what he's talking about. Utep initiated a research program on photovolteic but for some reason they abandoned it. I guess it was not popular for them. Now with the new president, UTEP should start the program again since Obama said he will invest in research of production of green energy.
What the hell does this have to do with the ongoing public corruption case? I get really disappointed expecting to see a blogger's iteresting comment about the investigation, only to replaced with boredom about a non-related topic. Start your own thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso County District Attorney Esparza to be ... 48 min huey goins 3
What is the great one's favorite steak? 4 hr L Morales 2
Cardinal says immigrants deserve basic rights (Apr '07) 4 hr huey goins 26
Adrienne Alvarez no longer with KTSM 16 hr POS 14
El Paso ID Program Aims to Aid Undocumented 16 hr POS 36
U.S. Border Patrol truck parked on the Texas-Me... 17 hr POS 2
Snow to continue falling in El Paso 18 hr L Morales 14
El Paso Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web