Embezzlement of millions alleged

Full story: El Paso Times

Robert "Bob" Jones, the former president of the National Center for the Employment of the Disabled who was recognized for his business acumen in 2005, was arrested Tuesday by the FBI along with two others on ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 68 Comments Last updated Mar 29, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“think about it for a second”

Since: Jul 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

I wonder what the headcount will be when this is all finally over? I hope they catch every single one of those greedy bastards.
acitizen

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

What about Wardy and others?
Jeff

Juárez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

acitizen wrote:
What about Wardy and others?
Wardy already got 'burned' with his gun incident remember?????
Are you nuts

Juarez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wardy already got 'burned' with his gun incident remember?????
But that shouldn't get him off the hook now.
kninelovr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Maybe the FBI could just start at the top of our city government chain and work its way down. This way we can know for sure who is/isn't stealing from El Paso citizens.
Thieves have been around since the beginning of time and we only hear about them when they are caught.
Time to clean house and start over with a clean slate.
Jeff

Juárez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Are you nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
But that shouldn't get him off the hook now.
What did he do wrong?
Dario Rivas

Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

This guys will be banrupt by the time they defend all of these charges. The feds have taken a very long time investigating this and win 96% of the time.
Jeff

Juárez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Dario Rivas wrote:
This guys will be banrupt by the time they defend all of these charges. The feds have taken a very long time investigating this and win 96% of the time.
Not if they structured their assets like O.J. did back in the 90's!!!!
Van-Zandt

Juárez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Come on! These guys are like the modern version of Robin Hood

Being punished for creating 4,000 jobs?
Secret

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Throw them in jail and put a freeze on their assets .
Van-Zandt does not get it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Van-Zandt wrote:
Those jobs were meant for blind and severly disabled people. Jones hired mostly able bodied people (speaking Spanish does not qualify as disability under this provision of the federal hiring laws). In doing so, they were able to produce uniforms at a much higher rate than a truly disabled workforce would. Because of this, they realized a much higher "pay for piece" price for each article of clothing produced by the able bodied workforce, generating huge profits.

They are crooks and did not create 4,000 jobs. They stole those jobs from the people they were intended for and wound up with the profit in their pockets.
Van-Zandt

Juárez, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Van-Zandt does not get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Those jobs were meant for blind and severly disabled people. Jones hired mostly able bodied people (speaking Spanish does not qualify as disability under this provision of the federal hiring laws). In doing so, they were able to produce uniforms at a much higher rate than a truly disabled workforce would. Because of this, they realized a much higher "pay for piece" price for each article of clothing produced by the able bodied workforce, generating huge profits.
They are crooks and did not create 4,000 jobs. They stole those jobs from the people they were intended for and wound up with the profit in their pockets.
You might be right on that, but the bottom line is 4,000 El Pasoan families had an income.

Besides that, wasn't there quarterly audits from US Government agencies? Where were they and for how long did they fail to see it? Where's the accountability on that?
Wait and See

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Beto Jones, Entrepreneur of the Year! There are a lot more "entrepreneurs" and developers in El Paso that need to get their picture in the front page as well for greasing the palms of our corrupt city council and being so entrepreneurial at our expense.

Since: Jun 08

El Paso

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Van-Zandt wrote:
Should one good deed outweigh all the bad things these people did? Yes, they created 4,000 jobs but they were lying to the government.
Serpico

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Van-Zandt wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be right on that, but the bottom line is 4,000 El Pasoan families had an income.
Besides that, wasn't there quarterly audits from US Government agencies? Where were they and for how long did they fail to see it? Where's the accountability on that?
It had a domino effect it not only left 4000 tax payers without a job it also left many small business that gave provided services to NCED without jobs. I dont know but to me it smells like someone higher up didnt get his monthly envelope so they left Jone out to dry.
NorPoOr

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Has anyone lost their respect for business leaders yet? Not only have they been transformed into addicts of corporate welfare but also have become accounting record 'cooks' and by extension crooks.
Toss them into prison but not without repayment the millions stolen.

Close legal loopholes that enable businesses who 'legitimately' avoid their tax fair share calculated in the billions.

Has the average Joe had enough?
NorPoOr

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Carlos - Eastside wrote:
<quoted text>
Should one good deed outweigh all the bad things these people did? Yes, they created 4,000 jobs but they were lying to the government.
So you are OK with that? How many of those jobs were afforded to abled body workers? YOur statement clearly says the the means justify the ends.

Lying is always unethical, obtaining public funds under false pretenses is fraud.

You want jobs? Create think tanks to bring in clean industry. Is anyone serious about weaning out of oil dependence? Your city has an abundance of sun which should entice solar power advocates/industries and much more.

El Paso

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

NorPoOr wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are OK with that? How many of those jobs were afforded to abled body workers? YOur statement clearly says the the means justify the ends.
Lying is always unethical, obtaining public funds under false pretenses is fraud.
You want jobs? Create think tanks to bring in clean industry. Is anyone serious about weaning out of oil dependence? Your city has an abundance of sun which should entice solar power advocates/industries and much more.
No, I totally disagree with their actions. I was replying to another person who said that the creation of 4,000 jobs justified breaking the law. In my humble opinion, they should pay for their actions.

El Paso

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

NorPoOr wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right about promoting solar energy in the "Sun City". I've been advocating and writing to my local leaders to have them look at that. I know the USDOE provides grants to cities who would want to take advantage of such natural resource. Unfortunately, my city leaders are people with no vision at all.
Evil Dr Vernoy Walker

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Dr. Vernoy Walker president of Physicians Healthcare Associates should be arrested next. He was chairman of the board of Physicians Hospital on George Dieter that was founded by money embezzled by Bob Jones. He's just as guilty as he is. No one is buying that Walker new nothing, he was a co-conspirator to Jones.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the El Paso Forum right now

Search the El Paso Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Defiant1 17,700
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 3 hr Defiant1 22,180
Anti-illegal immigration Border Convoy headed t... 3 hr betrayed 314
Does Petro live with his parents? 3 hr Real SJM 0
Will Peto celebrate the 75 anniversary of the W... 3 hr Real SJM 0
Arrest warrant issued for Wiz Khalifa after... ... 6 hr huey goins 8
Ferguson Missouri ( riots ) 7 hr Petro 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••