King's X bar to lose its alcohol license

Full story: El Paso Times 46
The 45-year-old King's X bar, which was accused of over-serving after a customer struck and killed two people with a vehicle, will lose its alcohol beverage license Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
madd

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 5, 2009
What ever happened to personal responsibility? It's not King's X fault this tragedy happened. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the drunk driver, not the bar. The idiot driver could have just as easily drank at home or at another bar. What a moronic, knee-jerk, feel-good decision on the part of the TABC. The decision makes no sense.
joseph vitagliano

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 5, 2009
Good call closing this place down they would serve over and over clients which were regulars even if they were drunk.
uloC

United States

#3 Jan 5, 2009
joseph vitagliano wrote:
Good call closing this place down they would serve over and over clients which were regulars even if they were drunk.
You mean like certain judges and college professors?
Honey

AOL

#4 Jan 5, 2009
Good call, MADD. Many bar goers hop around, also where's the proof that the guy wasn't high on something else before going to King's X? It is a good idea to train the bar staff to make sure they don't serve the drunks. Bar owners know they have lots of liability, insurance costs are huge. Liquor licenes are very expensive and cosing the place for several months could put him out of business. It's not worth the headaches! I should know because I was in the business for a while and it was a big mistake! Anyone thinking about getting into the bar business should think twice. Not worth it!!!
Lucky L

Littleton, CO

#5 Jan 5, 2009
Who does this help? Here goes the TABC and MADD teaming up to put people out of work. Not just the employees, but loss of revenue to distributers, live performers, and the thousands of dollars the state loses in taxes. Making an example of the most succesful bar in El Paso history just opens the door to prohibition.Shame on the system!
Keep em coming

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 5, 2009
Well, it's hard to blame the bartenders.

I usually tell them to "keep 'em coming until (the ladies at Kings X) start lookin' good."

“Life goes on: Regardless”

Since: Nov 08

El Paso

#7 Jan 5, 2009
madd wrote:
What ever happened to personal responsibility? It's not King's X fault this tragedy happened. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the drunk driver, not the bar. The idiot driver could have just as easily drank at home or at another bar. What a moronic, knee-jerk, feel-good decision on the part of the TABC. The decision makes no sense.
Unfortunately, when people reach the state of inebriation they lose a portion of their mental capacity to make sound decisions. If the bartenders or servers in an establishment are unable or unwilling to determine that an individual has” Had Enough”, then the establishment should be held accountable. I know of establishments that will call a cab or arrange for transportation for customers who have imbibed too much.
The death of 2 people is tragic, had someone at the bar been responsible and cut the person off, or called a cab this could have been avoided.
I hate to see a business suffer this kind of circumstance but in fact they brought this on themselves. Should they ever be issued a Alcoholic Beverage License in the future, which is questionable, I hope they exercise stringent policies regarding serving their patrons.
centralray

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 5, 2009
This good. I hope they Officials go after people that were serving alcohol at house party as well. It's about time we hold all people involved accountable.
burp

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 5, 2009
Didn't Aikman seem drunk during his KFox interview on the closing of his bar. And he did say that he would use the time off to clean up the place. It's gonnna take more than 3 months to clean up that dump. Glad it's gone.
Guero

Ogden, UT

#10 Jan 5, 2009
It's about time that someone made the da** bar owners, operators, bartenders & waitress's accountable for letting a patron drink too much just because they want their money. It's always the drunks fault for getting that way, but who is it that *LET'S* them get that way in the 1st place? They could easily tell them "No you've had enough already", but they choose to let them continue to drink and then absolve themselves of any responsibility under the posistion that it is not their job to tell someone when they've had to much or they can't pay attention to all the patrons all of the time. I say make the bar owners, managers and bartenders equally responsible for any drunk that gets out the door after having had to much and then decides to get behind the wheel. Throw the drunken manslaughtering idiots in jail, and fine the bars.(Thanks for letting me vent my frustration)
Larry in El Paso

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 5, 2009
The TABC, normally, does not mess around. If a bar is "touching the line", sooner or later they'll cross it.
TABC, and most bar owners and managers, know this. Follow the law or suffer the consequences. It is very unfortunate that this particular incident resulted in a fatality; maybe this will open some eyes, and give a little more "backbone" to bartenders and bar managers.
I've manager bars for many years, and I always felt that I'd rather have a mad drunk in front of me than a mad widow and her lawyer.
Scott

Arlington, TX

#12 Jan 5, 2009
It appears that several of you are unfamiliar with "dram shop" laws. It has long been established in Texas that bartenders and establishments who overserve patrons could be held liable for those acts.

Madd, Honey, et al need to do some research lest they look like idiots....again.
EDWEIRDO

O Fallon, MO

#13 Jan 5, 2009
With all due respect to the victims of this tragedy, I still think it's a damn shame this is happening to the Kings-X. I've been going to that bar off and on for almost 20 years and always had a good time there. You cannot blame the bartenders. It's their job to serve drinks and they should not be held accountable for what some dips-hit does after he leaves. For all we know the driver threw back a couple of swigs of whiskey in the parking lot after exiting the bar before driving off that night.

Ultimately, the driver behind the wheel should be held responsible, not the bar.

Evidently, this incident may already be affecting other bars in the area. I used to enjoy going over to Smoky's on VISCOUNT up until one recent night, thirsty after work, I dropped in for a beer. I drank my beer in 3 drinks and was told by the bartender I could not chug my beer. He said they would not serve me anymore 'because you cannot chug your beer'. Well I said screw you! I told him no stinkin' bartender was going to tell me how to drink my beer, and to go to hell! They should stick to serving the public, not dictate how they drink their beverages. They have lost me as a customer and I always go out of may to steer my friends away from that dump.
bartender

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 5, 2009
EDWEIRDO wrote:
With all due respect to the victims of this tragedy, I still think it's a damn shame this is happening to the Kings-X. I've been going to that bar off and on for almost 20 years and always had a good time there. You cannot blame the bartenders. It's their job to serve drinks and they should not be held accountable for what some dips-hit does after he leaves. For all we know the driver threw back a couple of swigs of whiskey in the parking lot after exiting the bar before driving off that night.
Ultimately, the driver behind the wheel should be held responsible, not the bar.
Evidently, this incident may already be affecting other bars in the area. I used to enjoy going over to Smoky's on VISCOUNT up until one recent night, thirsty after work, I dropped in for a beer. I drank my beer in 3 drinks and was told by the bartender I could not chug my beer. He said they would not serve me anymore 'because you cannot chug your beer'. Well I said screw you! I told him no stinkin' bartender was going to tell me how to drink my beer, and to go to hell! They should stick to serving the public, not dictate how they drink their beverages. They have lost me as a customer and I always go out of may to steer my friends away from that dump.

People like you should stay home and get drunk all you want. Nobody decent bartender would want such a whinny drunk for a client.
Next time grab a twleve pack B4 you head home!
RocketScientist

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 5, 2009
Kings X is a dump. Glad to see that its gone. We need some nice bars and clubs in this town... Really...
EDWEIRDO

O Fallon, MO

#16 Jan 5, 2009
bartender wrote:
<quoted text>
People like you should stay home and get drunk all you want. Nobody decent bartender would want such a whinny drunk for a client.
Next time grab a twleve pack B4 you head home!
You must be the azz-h o l e from Smoky's that night.
bartender

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 5, 2009
EDWEIRDO wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be the ****-h o l e from Smoky's that night.
That's right you azzzzhole! Take your non tipping business elsewhere!
Concern

El Paso, TX

#22 Jan 5, 2009
I do not think the King's X is at fault. This was a tragedy waiting to happen. We, the customers should be held responsible for what we consume not the party who is doing the selling. Like everything in our society, we want to place the blame on everyone else except ourselves, and our society feeds on this. There were four victims in this situation. There were no winners.
Hilda Morales

United States

#23 Jan 5, 2009
I don't understand why a bar should be held responsible for someone else's actions. If you go out and kill someone then YOU should be expected to pay the price for YOUR mistake.
Tadpole

El Paso, TX

#24 Jan 5, 2009
I can see both sides to the issue. However, in my opinion, anyone caught DWI should be arrested and the vehicle inpounded for the amount of time that the individual loses his license. Another option could be that once you are determined to be under the influence of alchol at the police station, you get to make a phone call to next of kin and have the come pick up the body after you have been take out back and shot. This way you would never get to the point of killing someone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 34 min why 572
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr fubar 18,556
Police arrest man who allegedly exposed himself... 13 hr L Morales 5
Maria Garcia 13 hr huey goins 1
Rabedeaux Dead 13 hr huey goins 1
Mountain View Restaurants 16 hr L Morales 5
El Paso's thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys in 201... 16 hr POS 13
•••

Flash Flood Watch for El Paso County was issued at September 23 at 12:57AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

El Paso Jobs

•••