Why were murder charges dropped?

Posted in the El Paso Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Justice

San Antonio, TX

#1 Oct 1, 2008
Where is the justice for the victim's family when these assailants got off with light charges like "tampering with evidence" and no one is charged with murder or even manslaughter?

Why has NO ONE in the news media followed up on this story?

Body of missing man found in desert, 4 people arrested

http://www.kvia.com :80/Global/story.asp?s=6432279

Body of missing man found in desert, 4 people arrested

EL PASO, Tx.- El Paso Police say they have recovered the remains of an El Paso man reported missing nearly two weeks ago.

20-year-old Adam Thomas Oury went missing April 13th. A week later, police issued a public alert requesting information on Oury's disappearance and the Crimes Against Persons unit took the case.

Police say Oury's body was found in the desert area near the Santa Teresa airport in Dona Ana county overnight. This afternoon, police say four people are in jail charged with Oury's murder.

They are: 20 year-old Joseph Brandon Jones, 21 year-old Andrew James Cotto, 20 year-old Ember Jean Schlieter and 18 year-old Roberto Octavio Corral.

The first three were arrested in Las Vegas, Nevada. Corral is at the El Paso County Detention Center.

http://www.ktsm.com/news/local/7211601.html

Missing Man Found Dead
Thursday, April 26, 2007 - El Paso police believe El Paso's fourth murder of the year took place on April 12th at an apartment complex on 110 South Festival. We have been told at least five people were in one of the apartments in the complex when a fight broke out. Investigators say that is when 20 year-old Adam Oury was killed.

Investigators say a body believed to be that of Oury was discovered yesterday afternoon in the desert near the Santa Teresa Airport in Dona Ana County. Investigators were at the scene today.

Investigators say all of the suspects lived in the apartment before the murder and that three fled to Las Vegas after the crime.

Eighteen year-old Octavio Corral is now in custody at the El Paso County Detention Center. He is charged with murder. Joseph Jones, 20, 21 year-old Andrew Cotto and 20 year-old Amber Schlieter are in custody of the Las Vegas Police. Schlieter is facing charges of tampering with evidence.

Story Created: Apr 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM MDT
Justice

San Antonio, TX

#2 Oct 1, 2008
Justice

San Antonio, TX

#3 Oct 2, 2008
Justice

San Antonio, TX

#4 Oct 2, 2008
Father of victim dies 9 months later without justice for his son's death -

OURY -- John Thomas Oury, of El Paso, TX, died Wednesday, January 9, 2008 of unknown cause. A graduate of Sunny Hills High School, he served as torpedo man on the nuclear sub, USS Sargo, VietNam era. He was preceded in death by his son, Adam Thomas Oury, in April 2007. John was a computer technician and a member of the Sons of the Revolution. He leaves a daughter, Brittany Oury; mother and stepfather, Katherine Oury Christman and Charles Christman; sisters, Linda Oury Rogers and Brenda Oury Shively; brother, Paul Oury; uncles, Robert Oury and Dr. Ralph Kuiper; aunts, Dot Oury McCall and Jane Oury Bradley; nieces, Joleen Rogers Klundt, Amanda Shively, and Megan Oury; nephews, Richard Rogers, Jacob Shively, Jack Logan and Luke Michael Oury; four great-nephews; one great-niece; and many loving cousins. Services were held on Saturday, January 12, 2008, 2:00 p.m., at Faith Lutheran Church, 10000 Spain NE. Interment will be at the same location.
Justice

San Antonio, TX

#5 Oct 2, 2008
14. Criminal Docket; Case 20070D02761 1313055; MANSLAUGHTER
THE STATE OF TEXAS vs JONES, JOSEPH BRANDON
Filed 06/21/2007 - Disposition: 10/10/2007 Acquittal-jury verdict
210th District Court, District Clerk, El Paso County, Texas

15. Criminal Docket; Case 20070D02761 1313228; TAMPER FABRICATE PHYSICAL EVID W/INTENT TO IMPAIR
THE STATE OF TEXAS vs JONES, JOSEPH BRANDON
Filed 06/21/2007 - Disposition: 10/10/2007 Conviction-not guilty plea-jury verdict
210th District Court, District Clerk, El Paso County, Texas
assailant

United States

#6 Oct 25, 2008
because there was no murder
Juan

United States

#7 Oct 30, 2008
Are you sure they got off with just tampering with evidence?
confused

Pasco, WA

#8 Jul 5, 2009
if there was no murder, then how did he die?

if he died from a different cause, why was his body taken out into the desert?

why was battery acid poured over his body?

why did they flee el paso for las vegas?

hmmmm i used to know these people && i can safely say that something is not right about this case
Close to the Case

Rosedale, IN

#9 Oct 29, 2009
Q: Why was the murder charge dropped on Joseph Jones?

A: There was no murder. The "victim" was on acid at the time of the incident. The "victim" attempted to rape the girlfriend of Jones and Jones acted as anyone would, by defending her. There was a struggle which included Jones biting the "victim" on the ear.

Q: Why was his body taken into the desert?

A: Put yourself in their shoes. There was a struggle and they were possibly smoking marijuana. They just killed a human while being under the influence of an illegal drug. They were scared and made the mistake of listened to someone older than themselves and taking the body to the desert.

Q: Why was battery acid poured over his body?

A: They were scared to be identified by the DNA from the bite.

Q: Why did they flee El Paso for Las Vegas?

A: Scared.
total B S

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 29, 2009
if the kid was on acid, and a struggle took place with 4 other "people" he could have been- tied up, beat down, thrown out, driven away, chased away, lets just say alot of things other than killed, even in self defence.....No, there is a lot of BS here, maybe not murder, but something chargable. even drunks get charged, right....
Close to the Case

Rosedale, IN

#11 Oct 30, 2009
They were charged, with tampering with evidence. I know for a fact Jones is still incarcerated for it.

I hope that if you are in need of help in the same situation that someone would help you regardless of what could happen legally. I do not believe the boys did anything wrong in regards to defending the female. The "victim" put himself in the situation with drug use and attempting to violate and harm the female. During the struggle the "victim" continued to fight back. I believe the boys were in fear for their lives.

Remember, these boys did not go out looking for trouble. The "victim" sought out the apartment/house.
Close to the Case

Rosedale, IN

#12 Nov 2, 2009
Now, do you want to hear injustice? I've gotten word that everyone involved but Jones was released without jail time. Why are they not held to the same charge as Jones? Jones has spent over two years in prison and everyone else didn't spend a day.
Drugs

El Paso, TX

#13 Nov 2, 2009
The victim was on acid and SO were the perps!
They KILLED HIM and then tried to cover up their crime. They are still responsible for his death, drugs or not. There is no justice here.
nope

El Paso, TX

#15 Nov 4, 2009
2 of 4 in jail and charges in new mexico as well. Asphyxia is not the same as strangulation. And the media will not cover the story because nothing is happening. and they were accused of slander for getting the initial story ridiculously wrong just because there is a freedom of press does not mean they can say what they want, that is illegal, so is some of the conversation going on in this forum. nothing anybody on this site does can change the penal system, it will take its course and **** them its own way. and i am sure it has, socially, economically, emotionally, and professionally.
anonymous

United States

#16 Dec 12, 2009
yeah i knew those people and supposedly joseph jones was the one who choked him out to death, so i'd assume thats why he's been the one locked up the longest. Besides thats his girlfriend we're talking about...
in da know

El Paso, TX

#17 Dec 14, 2009
They KILLED him and they were on drugs too. They were all on acid. They are getting off and no justice is served for the victim.
sam

El Paso, TX

#18 Dec 16, 2009
confused wrote:
if there was no murder, then how did he die?

HE HAD ASTHMA. HE WAS HAVING A BAD TRIP. HAVING A BAD TRIP ON ACID CAN CAUSE LOSS OF BREATH. YOU DO THE MATH. ALSO, THE MEDICAL EXAMINER CONFIRMED THAT HE WAS NOT STRANGLED.

if he died from a different cause, why was his body taken out into the desert?

THEY HAD ALL AGREED TO CALL THE POLICE WHILE TWO OF THEM GOT RID OF THE POT, BUT ANDREW COTTO TALKED JOSEPH JONES AND EMBER SCHLIETER INTO TAKING HIM TO THE DESERT. ANDREW DID NOT WANT TO CALL THE POLICE BECAUSE HE HAD PRIOR WARRANTS.

why was battery acid poured over his body?

THIS WAS DONE BY ANDREW COTTO.

why did they flee el paso for las vegas?

WELL AFTER THEY TOOK THE BODY TO THE DESERT JOSEPH, EMBER AND ANDREW WERE GOING TO GO WAIT IT OUT OVER THERE.

hmmmm i used to know these people && i can safely say that something is not right about this case
IF YOU REALLY KNEW THESE PPL THEN I WONDER HOW YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT ROBERT AND EMBER COULD KILL ANYONE.
AT THE TRIAL

El Paso, TX

#19 Dec 16, 2009
Drugs wrote:
The victim was on acid and SO were the perps!
They KILLED HIM and then tried to cover up their crime. They are still responsible for his death, drugs or not. There is no justice here.
How do you know? Were you there? Did you perform the autopsy? Or are you just psychic? it took the jury less than 5 minutes of deliberation at the trial to decide that joseph jones was not guilty of manslaughter. The evidence supported the testimony of the witnesses who were there. Adam Oury died accidentally. The medical examiner said so. Also, the police were sweating it up there trying to pin more on these kids than the simple fact that they panicked. I was at the trial. I saw the evidence. Obviously you did not.
Close to the Case

Rosedale, IN

#20 Jan 22, 2010
Thank you AT THE TRIAL, well said!
i care

United States

#21 Mar 22, 2010
I believe that if there was no murder they would have called 911! How can you be so scared that you would get in trouble for being on drugs that you can let someone die...that says alot about these FIVE murders! Yes I believe they were capable of MURDER!!!! If you were at the trial were you there to hear Mr. Oury addressing Joe? What a wonderful man to have forgiven him! I hope that Joe serves the full six years, Alf the full eighteen months and hopefully Ember was convicted in NM as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 3 hr Fart 4 us 24,413
This is another abandoned topix forum Sat FART 99
The White Fart House Sat Fart recycled 26
Anybody else not like El Paso? Sat Fart abuse 14
if you had to choose what area to live in El Pa... (May '12) Aug 18 You Farted 68
My car doesn't pass emissions. Where do I go to... Aug 18 Been Farting 7
News El Paso Crawling with haunted hot spots (Oct '09) Aug 17 Fart socks 456

El Paso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Paso Mortgages