Editorial: Yes on Huntington Beach Measure Z

Oct 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Wave

Outgoing Huntington Beach Mayor Don Hansen's farewell gesture to Orange County's fourth-largest city is a ballot measure that would do away with the portion of the city's annual property tax assessment that goes to some city employee pension costs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Stop Measure Z

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

$4.2 million in Huntington Beach general budget shortfall with Measure Z - VOTE NO!#stopmeasurez. www.stopmeasurez.com
Dwight Andersen

Santa Paula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

YES ON MEASURE Z
HUNTINGTON BEACH CITY GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN RIPPING US OFF FOR 40 YEARS WITH THIS UNFAIR, IMMORAL TAX.
HB HOMEOWNERS HAVE BEEN PAYING A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT THAT GOES TO FUND HB CITY EMPLOYEES PENSIONS. THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG.
YOU WILL NOTICE THAT ALL THOSE OPPOSING MEASURE Z ARE COLLECTING OR WILL COLLECT A PENSION FROM THE CITY OF HUNTINGTON BEACH. A PENSION FUNDED BY THIS TAX.
THE TAX WAS PASSED AS A WAY TO GET AROUND PROP 13.
WHY ARE WE PAYING FOR HB CITY EMPLOYEES PENSIONS THROUGH OUR PROPERTY TAXES?
IF YOU WANT THE FACTS GO TO THE HOWARD JARVIS TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION. YES ON MEASURE Z
Mike Dunbar

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 6, 2012
 
Hansen is termed out and leaves a hole that will be filled with future tax increases ... Nice job mayor
Richard Chen

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 7, 2012
 
Mr. Anderson, This tax was not passed as a way to get around Prop 13, as you say. It was passed by the electorate in 1966. Prop 13 went into effect in 1978 which limited what the tax could be used for, which was benefits that were in place in 1978. Therefore, this tax cannot be used to fund any benefits awarded after 1978. If you want the facts, ask someone who actually knows the facts and isn't just spewing political jargon for personal gain. Go to StopMeasureZ.com . Your quality of life depends on it.
Dwight Andersen wrote:
YES ON MEASURE Z
HUNTINGTON BEACH CITY GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN RIPPING US OFF FOR 40 YEARS WITH THIS UNFAIR, IMMORAL TAX.
HB HOMEOWNERS HAVE BEEN PAYING A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT THAT GOES TO FUND HB CITY EMPLOYEES PENSIONS. THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG.
YOU WILL NOTICE THAT ALL THOSE OPPOSING MEASURE Z ARE COLLECTING OR WILL COLLECT A PENSION FROM THE CITY OF HUNTINGTON BEACH. A PENSION FUNDED BY THIS TAX.
THE TAX WAS PASSED AS A WAY TO GET AROUND PROP 13.
WHY ARE WE PAYING FOR HB CITY EMPLOYEES PENSIONS THROUGH OUR PROPERTY TAXES?
IF YOU WANT THE FACTS GO TO THE HOWARD JARVIS TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION. YES ON MEASURE Z
HB Homeowner

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

So what your saying Chen is that my quality of life depends on a property tax? Good Grief. When will it be enough? Once you take 60% of my income, will that be enough for you or do you need and want more? I promise you, you will need additional money down the road... HB does NOT have a revenue problem, we have a SPENDING problem! Rework some of the exorbanant pensions for city employees before you take additional money from me! VOTE YES on Z
HB Homeowner

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 12, 2012
 
Mike Dunbar wrote:
Hansen is termed out and leaves a hole that will be filled with future tax increases ... Nice job mayor
Excelent job mayor. This is one Tax we shouldn't be paying. Thank you for watching out for the middle class.
Unemployed

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 15, 2012
 
Mr. Dunbar you are correct in saying your quality of life doesn't depend on a property tax. But probably the 26 full time employees who work for HB, who will lose their jobs if this measure is passed, would probably say that their quality of life does depend on this tax and that doesn't include the additional 24 part time employees as well. Probably those people wonít be missed as much as the people who have given their professional careers to the citizens of HB, they can find work somewhere else. Itís probably just a teenage life guard protecting your children from drowning at the beach during the summer. It would be interesting to see if you could find the pension money you say youíre paying because of this supplemental property tax in the cityís budgets. It looks to me like it goes to a lot of useful programs, not someoneís pension. How many city employees are still receiving benefits that retired before 1978? In fact after reviewing the last few years budgets, the city has taken nothing but proactive strides to reduce spending, without cutting services to the clientís they serve. Why didn't this great mayor you speak of cut this tax three years ago, when things were really bad fiscally? Iím thinking it has something to do with sleeping in the bed you make and some cool future sound bites for his next campaign run, I can hear it now,ďAs mayor of HB I cut taxes and help the citizens fight the all-powerful unionsĒ. You might not get to see that commercial because your street will be without cable, while the city tries to repair a broken water pipe underground, with just one city employee.
Janet

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 21, 2012
 
It is these types of typical scare tactics that drive me crazy. I have been in the fence about this, but the more scare tactics that come out, the more i am opting to vote yes. I more on the common sense of the H J Tax than i do of the opponents, mostly greedy unions .
Unemployed wrote:
Mr. Dunbar you are correct in saying your quality of life doesn't depend on a property tax. But probably the 26 full time employees who work for HB, who will lose their jobs if this measure is passed, would probably say that their quality of life does depend on this tax and that doesn't include the additional 24 part time employees as well. Probably those people wonít be missed as much as the people who have given their professional careers to the citizens of HB, they can find work somewhere else. Itís probably just a teenage life guard protecting your children from drowning at the beach during the summer. It would be interesting to see if you could find the pension money you say youíre paying because of this supplemental property tax in the cityís budgets. It looks to me like it goes to a lot of useful programs, not someoneís pension. How many city employees are still receiving benefits that retired before 1978? In fact after reviewing the last few years budgets, the city has taken nothing but proactive strides to reduce spending, without cutting services to the clientís they serve. Why didn't this great mayor you speak of cut this tax three years ago, when things were really bad fiscally? Iím thinking it has something to do with sleeping in the bed you make and some cool future sound bites for his next campaign run, I can hear it now,ďAs mayor of HB I cut taxes and help the citizens fight the all-powerful unionsĒ. You might not get to see that commercial because your street will be without cable, while the city tries to repair a broken water pipe underground, with just one city employee.
worried spouse

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 7, 2012
 
It's not a scare tactic. It's real. My husband is one of the 26 full time employees to be laid off if this passes. He works for the water department. These are hard working men and women who work their asses off to make sure this city has running water, paved streets, pull the fallen trees off of the cars and houses after a storm. These are real men, and a real possibility. Not just a threat
Janet wrote:
It is these types of typical scare tactics that drive me crazy. I have been in the fence about this, but the more scare tactics that come out, the more i am opting to vote yes. I more on the common sense of the H J Tax than i do of the opponents, mostly greedy unions .
<quoted text>
Sheila

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 7, 2012
 
Stop Measure Z wrote:
$4.2 million in Huntington Beach general budget shortfall with Measure Z - VOTE NO!#stopmeasurez. www.stopmeasurez.com
It's ironic how the No on Z framed this. The bottom line is the shortfall should come from the overpaid police and fire department employees of the city. If you review the HB city website, you will see that many of them are getting compensated over $200000. They can afford to pitch in in funding their own retirement pension. This is white-collar abuse at its best!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Dorado Hills Discussions

Search the El Dorado Hills Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr Decide what 4,837
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Republican idiots 200,196
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 6 hr 21 and over 15,909
Review: Sacramento Learning Tree Academy 23 hr In The Dark 17
Jury deadlocked in Madsen murder trial (Mar '09) Jul 7 concerned 8
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 2 skeets give more 7,806
Sacramento sucks more than: (Jan '09) Jul 1 so true 110
•••

Fire Warning for El Dorado County was issued at July 10 at 12:42PM PDT

•••
•••
•••
El Dorado Hills Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

El Dorado Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

El Dorado Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

El Dorado Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Dorado Hills
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••