Festival group tells Mayor to Back Off

Festival group tells Mayor to Back Off

Posted in the El Dorado Forum

Sandy

Little Rock, AR

#1 Aug 12, 2014
Recall funding for the Municipal Auditorium improvements says the guys that have been talking about a theatrical district for years. We want it all downtown.
well

Chicago, IL

#2 Aug 13, 2014
It's nice to have alternatives, something there are few of in El Dorado.
Dusty

El Dorado, AR

#3 Aug 13, 2014
What will the parking situation be?? For 1800 people that is a lot of parking needs on the glass company property.
well

Chicago, IL

#4 Aug 13, 2014
Parking will be tight when the downtown businesses and city offices are open at the same time there is a function at both the Conference Center and as the Entertainment District while SAU is in session.
Dusty

El Dorado, AR

#5 Aug 13, 2014
well wrote:
Parking will be tight when the downtown businesses and city offices are open at the same time there is a function at both the Conference Center and as the Entertainment District while SAU is in session.
Doesn't the planning and zoning code stipulate how many parking spaces there must be for a building of this type and size??
well

Chicago, IL

#6 Aug 13, 2014
Yes, and they ignored it when the Conference Center was built. What makes you think they will consider it now?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#7 Aug 13, 2014
Friday evening, as I was parking near Laredo around nine for pick up, the rubber tired trolley pulled up, empty except for driver, and stopped I believe I remember double parked in front of Laredo, engine running. I asked one of the waitresses if they had begun to run weekend routes. She said that it had pulled up earlier and let about twenty-five old ladies out. I don't think she intended any offense in her use of "old ladies".
JusAskin

Pine Bluff, AR

#8 Aug 13, 2014
Grigori wrote:
Friday evening, as I was parking near Laredo around nine for pick up, the rubber tired trolley pulled up, empty except for driver, and stopped I believe I remember double parked in front of Laredo, engine running. I asked one of the waitresses if they had begun to run weekend routes. She said that it had pulled up earlier and let about twenty-five old ladies out. I don't think she intended any offense in her use of "old ladies".
I believe it was the mayor that pushed for the trolley purchase. Those "old ladies" stayed over night, ate in downtown restaurants and shopped in the stores; each spent about $200 while they were in El Dorado. Nice to know we are slowly transitioning to a destination.
Joel

El Dorado, AR

#9 Aug 14, 2014
The conversion of the el dorado glass building is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard, next they will be talking conversion of the Ritchie building into a hotel!
Actually

El Dorado, AR

#10 Aug 14, 2014
I think Joel is on to something. That actually sounds like a good idea. That Ritchie building may be a good place for the hotel.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#11 Aug 15, 2014
I still think they should replicate the Randolph with grill, Majestic Theater double features, taxi company in open first floor on southeast corner, taxi drivers having key to back door of adjoining liquor store for twenty-four hour delivery to ministers' parsonage back doors, but the tire recapping operation might not be able to break even.
gene

Pine Bluff, AR

#12 Aug 16, 2014
Joel wrote:
The conversion of the el dorado glass building is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard, next they will be talking conversion of the Ritchie building into a hotel!
where do you get your info on the plan for the eldo glass bldg? I can tell by your hotel comment you don't have many facts.
Ummm

El Dorado, AR

#13 Aug 16, 2014
I believe it was in the paper one day this week that the El Dorado Glass location is being turned into an entertainment venue...like an auditorium.
Afaik

El Dorado, AR

#14 Aug 16, 2014
Ummm wrote:
I believe it was in the paper one day this week that the El Dorado Glass location is being turned into an entertainment venue...like an auditorium.
I wonder how the acoustics in there will be when the train goes to slamming cars and blowing its horn.
Eldo Master Plan

El Dorado, AR

#15 Aug 16, 2014
What is the plan?
Knox

Pine Bluff, AR

#16 Aug 27, 2014
Eldo Master Plan wrote:
What is the plan?
VERY GOOD QUESTION! The unconfirmed story is they plan to scratch the $9.2 million plan approved by the City Council a couple of years ago. A group from Chicago which designed the Rock Hall & Museum in Ohio has replaced Reese Rowland of Polk Stanley architects. The attention is on the El Dorado Glass building as a 2,000 seat performance venue with a restaurant and an outdoor amphitheater that can seat up to 6,800. The plan also converts the McWilliams Furniture building into a museum and arts center; the Trinca Shoe Shop becomes the ticket office. The Rialto acquires a makeover however the major addition to the theater that would have closed Jefferson Street has vanished, as to has the idea of a Southern Theater Festival.
Wow

Dallas, TX

#17 Aug 27, 2014
These yahoos change their minds, plans and ideas as fast as most people do their underwear. Hard to know WTH is going on downtown.
9 fingers 2 thumbs

El Dorado, AR

#18 Aug 27, 2014
I can only imagine how much of that paint hanging off the ceiling in the El Dorado Glass building is lead laced.
Joel

El Dorado, AR

#19 Aug 27, 2014
Bait and switch?
BA Framer

United States

#20 Aug 29, 2014
You have got to be kidding me! LMAO.
For what? Another opera or 21 days of Lady in Black.
I don't think so!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 50 min Now_What- 36,181
yancey kyle & dispatcher fling? 6 hr curiosity.killed.... 5
Disability 9 hr Rednecks 1
Marriage 11 hr Host 10
jennifer Seagers 13 hr Alex 3
Which doctor is responsible for this? 16 hr Sick of SAMA 13
Christina Duschak (Oct '14) 21 hr snap 9

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance