What is it like to live in El Dorado ...

What is it like to live in El Dorado Arkansas

Posted in the El Dorado Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
contemplating Squirrel

United States

#1 Oct 3, 2009
Hello all,

My family and I are contemplating whether or not to move our professional/personal lives to El Dorado. I am curious how people who have lived in El Dorado a good bit would answer the question: What is it like to live in El Dorado Arkansas? Ary there many professional opportunities? Would love to hear your honest thoughts.
Thanks to all,
Contemplating Squirrel
Mover-Shaker

Georgetown, TX

#2 Oct 3, 2009
Get ready for a flurry of Topix idiots bashing ElDorado.
swampwitch

Tyler, TX

#3 Oct 3, 2009
Just like any other small southern town, it is what you make of it. Depending on what profession you are, this town probably would be a good choice. Musicfest is this weekend, you should have visited it. Check out the art center, many different programs there, and they have plays several times a year. Homecoming is October 19. the parade, pep rally, and game would be a good place to see team spirit for our team. As for medical, alot to be desired, just in my opinion, but maybe you could make a difference if you are in that field. Good luck, I hope you check us out.

“sssaaaccca what?”

Since: Aug 09

Cool Story Bro

#4 Oct 3, 2009
Honestly.....

It's not that bad of a town. There are the ups and downs every town has. Some things to note:

* A guy just got shot in subway.
* There's a large music festival every year. If you like that sort of thing.
* Air smells like a sack of burning assholes on occasion.
* Never had my house broken into and I lived in a questionable neighborhood for a while.
* People are generally friendly except for workers at fast food places on occasion.
* A large of assortment of interesting vagabonds running around town (See Ty Peace, Fast Walker, etc.)

All in all, its about average what you would expect a town of it's size to be in the location it's at.
Honestly

Charleston, WV

#6 Oct 4, 2009
I just noted Dale that you put your real name on your forum page. Wow. I didn't never, ever, ever think you would let that tid-bit of information slip out.
Good Times

United States

#7 Oct 4, 2009
I think el Dorado is a great place to live. I feel that this town is on it's way for great growth, without losing it's small town appeal. Squirrel, depending on what you do and what you are looking for, I believe you will enjoy this area.
contemplating Squirrel

Dillon, SC

#8 Oct 4, 2009
Thanks to those who have commented. If anyone has any others thought I would love to hear them. Is there a nice modest middle class neighbor in El Dorado?

Since: Jul 09

Georgetown, TX

#9 Oct 4, 2009
what is your price range
rowe

Hurricane, WV

#10 Oct 4, 2009
i have been here all my life and so has my parents and grandparents. i like this town and hope that it grows more. the only major complaint i have is the limited shopping in the town.
El Do Resident

Saint Albans, WV

#11 Oct 5, 2009
There are plenty of middle class neighborhoods. Very inexpensive to live here. Only problem is, with the El Dorado Promise, people in real estate value their houses a little too much. However, with the El Dorado Promise, your kids could receive a full tuition to any public university in the state (or like figures if they plan to attend out of state). Low job possibilities...very high unemployment rate. Crime might seem bad, but usually to those who ask for it (i.e. leave their doors unlocked). Crimes such as assault and murder usually come from knowing parties. Well, almost everyone around here knows each other anyway (or at least recognizes each other). Our Emergency Room is horrible; but private doctors do quite well. Great business ventures: men clothing, computer/technology & supplies, medical, music/sound systems, houseware/appliances, any type of service industry. Good luck!
New in town myself

Nacogdoches, TX

#12 Oct 5, 2009
Squirrel,
I am new here and I have enjoyed it so far. We have met many nice people. My only issue is how SO many people that are from El Do talk trash about it. I was talking to a woman the other day about this and she said, "Well, it's because so many people have lost their jobs". I told her the badmouthing came in the form of A. "there's nothing to do here" B. No shopping
I find that we can get pretty much anything we need right here. If I need something else, I mail order!
It saddens me that so many people talk trash about there hometown. There are lots of good restaurants, a movie theater, an Arts Center.... on and on I could go.
This place has great possibilities and I enjoy being here. Hope this helps in some way.

Also, I have 2 children under 12. They like it here also!
New in town myself

Nacogdoches, TX

#13 Oct 5, 2009
sorry I said there should have been THEIR
BoB

El Dorado, AR

#14 Oct 5, 2009
This is a nice safe place to live. I have lived here over 50 years and love it. Its more of a slow paced place to live. Nice simple way of life. If you are looking to buy visit ezmls.com there are houses from 1 million to 10 thousand
contemplating Squirrel

Dillon, SC

#15 Oct 6, 2009
You all have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing your honest perspectives.
Wamrest Regards,

Squirre
rowe

Hurricane, WV

#16 Oct 6, 2009
i agree with you that a lot of people badmouth the town. i do wish that there was more national shopping chains here like old navy and maybe a game stop. i also would like a chain type steak house like logans or texas roadhouse. it does not make me hate the town just makes me take my tax dollars else where. i like the town and the people.

there is a lack of upper middle class housing. 80,000 to 115,000. lots of lower middle class and lots of 200,000 dollar homes. not so much on the upper middle class

also the crime is in the poor areas of town. read the police log in the paper. crime is mainly in bad areas of town. very seldom is major crime in the middle class white part of town. not to hate on the black middle class part of town but that is where the crime takes place.
curious

Boston, MA

#17 Jul 4, 2013
Can anyone tell me what apartment complexes are in the safe areas of el Dorado? Or Sade areas of el Dorado? I will b moving there to teach and have no idea bout the area.
curious

El Dorado, AR

#18 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
Can anyone tell me what apartment complexes are in the safe areas of el Dorado? Or Sade areas of el Dorado? I will b moving there to teach and have no idea bout the area.
I will be teaching how to sukieAdikie. IMAFAG.
well

El Dorado, AR

#19 Jul 5, 2013
For the price of a decent apartment you could probably find a house to rent.
Buddy

El Dorado, AR

#20 Jul 5, 2013
Curious-get chucked for being JOI and go drink from the nasty John.
Buddy

El Dorado, AR

#21 Jul 5, 2013
IMAFAG. I'm the topixFag.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Though it got bumped, Tonya V remains in local ... 9 min well 2
Sheriff Slick Rick is already bending the law f... 40 min Google 34
Human error in a nuclear facility nearly destro... 45 min Edward 3
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr shirleyknot 33,301
best car wash / detailer in eldo? 3 hr spade spotted 9
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arkansas (... (Oct '10) 3 hr Rockie 69
Missing person 22 hr To Cordova Tenn 22

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages