Comments
41 - 60 of 61 Comments Last updated Oct 11, 2013
Nope

El Dorado, AR

#42 Oct 8, 2013
TGIF wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Slick, I know more about city, county and state government than you'll ever know. The hotel & motel tax is just that A TAX. Its tax money NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT ! Its administered by the city, therefore its tax money. The fact that it comes from people who stays in the hotels MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ! As long as its a tax, and administered by government MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well as the citizens of El Dorado, on how its Collected & spent. Just like the local sales tax... Even though EVERYBODY pays it when they buy something MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well the citizens of El Dorado on how its spent. You obviously NEVER been to a city council, or quorum court meeting to understand how government works. I've been to MANY city council & quorum court meetings, as well as attending MANY commission meetings You can even request on HOW the tax money is collected & spent. Its called "a matter of public record" covered by the state's Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). All tax money, whether its collected by city, county, or state is subjected to that law. So please read up on it before you show your ignorance again.
A tax, is a tax, is a tax. And its ALWAYS subject to review by anyone who requests it.
Look, slick. Just because you know how government works doesn't mean your opinion about what government spends money on is any more valid than someone else's.
NPR

Euless, TX

#43 Oct 8, 2013
TGIF wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Slick, I know more about city, county and state government than you'll ever know. The hotel & motel tax is just that A TAX. Its tax money NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT ! Its administered by the city, therefore its tax money. The fact that it comes from people who stays in the hotels MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ! As long as its a tax, and administered by government MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well as the citizens of El Dorado, on how its Collected & spent. Just like the local sales tax... Even though EVERYBODY pays it when they buy something MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well the citizens of El Dorado on how its spent. You obviously NEVER been to a city council, or quorum court meeting to understand how government works. I've been to MANY city council & quorum court meetings, as well as attending MANY commission meetings You can even request on HOW the tax money is collected & spent. Its called "a matter of public record" covered by the state's Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). All tax money, whether its collected by city, county, or state is subjected to that law. So please read up on it before you show your ignorance again.
A tax, is a tax, is a tax. And its ALWAYS subject to review by anyone who requests it.
Really? I recall the water tax went to save the aquifer. The jail tax built a jail. The economic development tax was earmarked for convention center and other projects. School millage constructed a new high school. Taxes can be and are directed by voters and commissions. FOIA is to insure that meeting, decisions and discussions are open to the public. One exception in the FOI is your income taxes.
lala

El Dorado, AR

#44 Oct 8, 2013
I thought it was great! Justin Moore put on one heck of a show! I don't care about the rest of it!
pop

El Dorado, AR

#45 Oct 9, 2013
rock!
Describe Her

El Dorado, AR

#46 Oct 9, 2013
Rob wrote:
IT was lame until late saturday...there was a girl or two that showed up in skin tight dresses...the one in orange or pink or whatever it was made up for the whole thing being terrible. She was incredible...way too hot for El Do! Plus she was showing her panties...awesome!!!
What did the girl's look like that showed up late. I think I may know them, if they match your description, I'll put their names on here for you.
Rumors_Hurt_Ever yone

Waterbury, CT

#47 Oct 9, 2013
TGIF wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, if you know more about city, county and state government and how it works then some dumbass taught another dumbass. The Hotel and Motel tax goes to the City in the Entertainment and Food Industry account and it is there to promote said industry,whether it is to subsidize Musicfest, The R&B groups that come in or the events at the Auditorium. It is not like your local sales tax that goes into the City to help pay bills, salaries and such.Musicfest was and is a great entertainment value for El Dorado. You paid 30$ to see acts perform that if you went to just a Jusin Moore Concert alone would have cost you more than 30$ and here you got to see a number of acts that were pretty damn good. So, whoever taught you about City,State and County government didnt know what they were talking about just as you don't.
FYI

El Dorado, AR

#48 Oct 9, 2013
stage wrote:
You mean the city spent $160,000 for a stage and its not good enough to use for main stage!$160,000 and we still have to rent one for main act? How much did trolley cost? And btw trolleys don't have wheels? Why do people call it a trolley?
The city didn't buy the stage, a private organization bought it.
Rob

El Dorado, AR

#49 Oct 10, 2013
Describe Her wrote:
<quoted text> What did the girl's look like that showed up late. I think I may know them, if they match your description, I'll put their names on here for you.
They were both blonde, the brighter dress girl was a little bit taller than the one in the darker colored dress. They both defin. stood out in the crowd I wonder if they were paid to be there surely they are not locals.
Describe Her

El Dorado, AR

#50 Oct 10, 2013
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
They were both blonde, the brighter dress girl was a little bit taller than the one in the darker colored dress. They both defin. stood out in the crowd I wonder if they were paid to be there surely they are not locals.
Not who I figured. This one is not blonde, at this time.
Jill

Little Rock, AR

#51 Oct 10, 2013
How was Frank Foster performance
wrong

United States

#52 Oct 10, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
The city didn't buy the stage, a private organization bought it.
the city did buy the stage. Call and ask
TGIF

Crossett, AR

#53 Oct 10, 2013
Rumors_Hurt_Everyone wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, if you know more about city, county and state government and how it works then some dumbass taught another dumbass. The Hotel and Motel tax goes to the City in the Entertainment and Food Industry account and it is there to promote said industry,whether it is to subsidize Musicfest, The R&B groups that come in or the events at the Auditorium. It is not like your local sales tax that goes into the City to help pay bills, salaries and such.Musicfest was and is a great entertainment value for El Dorado. You paid 30$ to see acts perform that if you went to just a Jusin Moore Concert alone would have cost you more than 30$ and here you got to see a number of acts that were pretty damn good. So, whoever taught you about City,State and County government didnt know what they were talking about just as you don't.
Ha, Ha, Ha...If you ONLY knew. Obviously, whomever taught you to read, didn't teach you comprehension. What I said was that the hotel tax is just that, a tax. It IS subject to public record (just like I said), just like any other tax. The fact that its spent on specific things does not matter, nor do I really care. If I go to the Mayor's office, or the City Clerk's office and ask to see how it is spent (and what entities are receiving it), then the city CANNOT refuse my request under the state's FOI law. Like I said previously, I could care less how its administered, so long as its administered right. What I asked was why is Musicfeast asking for $25,000 EVERY YEAR when they claim its a "great success". If it is a "great success" as they claim, then why aren't they self-sufficient ? If its not that a "great success", as they claim, then why are they lying to the public ?

Try reading the entire response before you get rabies of the mouth.
And yes, I DO know how government works, since I worked in it for MANY years before starting my own business.

If you don't believe me, then trying asking the city yourself, or are you one of the many people who bitch, whine, and moan about government, yet sit back and do nothing. There are plenty of people here on this message board who want to see change in their city government, yet do not know how do to it. One usually starts at the ballot box. Another way to get involved in how city government is run. Every now and again, people need to question on how their city is being run, even raise hell if they need to.

If you want to change the city government, then GET INVOLVED. If you think your alderman or mayor isn't doing what you want them to do, then get someone like minded and get them to run, or even run for a position yourself.

I've said all I'm going to on this subject.
loren

El Dorado, AR

#54 Oct 10, 2013
Then go to Magnolia and Blossom big boy!
Interested

Camden, AR

#55 Oct 10, 2013
TGIF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha, Ha, Ha...If you ONLY knew. Obviously, whomever taught you to read, didn't teach you comprehension. What I said was that the hotel tax is just that, a tax. It IS subject to public record (just like I said), just like any other tax. The fact that its spent on specific things does not matter, nor do I really care. If I go to the Mayor's office, or the City Clerk's office and ask to see how it is spent (and what entities are receiving it), then the city CANNOT refuse my request under the state's FOI law. Like I said previously, I could care less how its administered, so long as its administered right. What I asked was why is Musicfeast asking for $25,000 EVERY YEAR when they claim its a "great success". If it is a "great success" as they claim, then why aren't they self-sufficient ? If its not that a "great success", as they claim, then why are they lying to the public ?
Try reading the entire response before you get rabies of the mouth.
And yes, I DO know how government works, since I worked in it for MANY years before starting my own business.
If you don't believe me, then trying asking the city yourself, or are you one of the many people who bitch, whine, and moan about government, yet sit back and do nothing. There are plenty of people here on this message board who want to see change in their city government, yet do not know how do to it. One usually starts at the ballot box. Another way to get involved in how city government is run. Every now and again, people need to question on how their city is being run, even raise hell if they need to.
If you want to change the city government, then GET INVOLVED. If you think your alderman or mayor isn't doing what you want them to do, then get someone like minded and get them to run, or even run for a position yourself.
I've said all I'm going to on this subject.
None of the things you've said about FOI are incorrect. But here's what's still up for debate. How do we define success for MusicFest? Obviously you would say self-sufficiency is a goal. But obviously the city has other goals in mind, including getting people to come to town, putting on an event that promotes El Dorado and so on. And this event does those things. While I would like to see the city look at measurables like hotel stays, I think in general the festival is meeting those goals.

But to say that one of our signature events must become self-sufficient is short-sighted. The city should continue to support those things that make our city what it is, and there is no requirement that everything the city does be self-sufficient. If that were the case, we'd have no roads, schools or sidewalks. Those things don't generate funds to cover their cost, and nobody complains about them. So why should MusicFest?
LMAO

El Dorado, AR

#56 Oct 10, 2013
ALL COMMENTS: The WorthlessAzzFreakFagPOS. DikBreath of topix. The welfareFoodstampMF. Our tax dollars at work. LMAO. Talk to yourself Gooberlips, change that name. FkingHomosexualIdiot.
my 2 cents

Little Rock, AR

#57 Oct 10, 2013
Interested wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the things you've said about FOI are incorrect. But here's what's still up for debate. How do we define success for MusicFest? Obviously you would say self-sufficiency is a goal. But obviously the city has other goals in mind, including getting people to come to town, putting on an event that promotes El Dorado and so on. And this event does those things. While I would like to see the city look at measurables like hotel stays, I think in general the festival is meeting those goals.
But to say that one of our signature events must become self-sufficient is short-sighted. The city should continue to support those things that make our city what it is, and there is no requirement that everything the city does be self-sufficient. If that were the case, we'd have no roads, schools or sidewalks. Those things don't generate funds to cover their cost, and nobody complains about them. So why should MusicFest?
Is 26 years not a showing of successful self-sufficiency? Remember, Musicfest is a nonprofit corporation.
LMAO

El Dorado, AR

#58 Oct 10, 2013
my 2 cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Is 26 years not a showing of successful self-sufficiency? Remember, Musicfest is a nonprofit corporation.
TheFag again. Totally useless, worthless, homosexual POS. FkingIdiot
Nope

Little Rock, AR

#59 Oct 10, 2013
my 2 cents wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?

Non-profit is just a tax status. It doesn't mean that the organization isn't supposed to make money.
my 2 cents

Little Rock, AR

#60 Oct 10, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?
Non-profit is just a tax status. It doesn't mean that the organization isn't supposed to make money.
It's more than just a "tax status." A budget is set and they work within it. They are smart enough to know prices to charge to at least break even. Donations keep the costs of tickets lower so negative, bitchy people like you will still attend, enjoy yourself, and keep your ignorance hidden for one glorious weekend.
Nope

El Dorado, AR

#61 Oct 11, 2013
my 2 cents wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more than just a "tax status." A budget is set and they work within it. They are smart enough to know prices to charge to at least break even. Donations keep the costs of tickets lower so negative, bitchy people like you will still attend, enjoy yourself, and keep your ignorance hidden for one glorious weekend.
Nope, it's just a status. There are good and bad nonprofits just like there are good and as businesses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Willie B Stanking 1 hr Forrest Gump 15
hot shot cops 2 hr Busted 14
Best/worst french fries in Union County 3 hr ArkanSawyer 10
Big Men, Little "problem" 4 hr Google 90
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr Keep away 29,658
Festival group tells Mayor to Back Off 5 hr BA Framer 20
sue in wonderland 5 hr Mel Head 11
•••
•••
•••