resident

United States

#22 Oct 6, 2013
Food for thought for sure! Why ask for $25000 if the event is doing so great! Hmmm makes you wonder what happens to all the cash coming in and the tax payers get hit for another twenty five grand every year! Cant be doing so hot or somebody's lying! Oh well no more than I would expect seems everything mysteriously costs a lot more around here for some reason or other!
Boring

El Dorado, AR

#23 Oct 6, 2013
u r boring wrote:
<quoted text>No, because uneducated minds like your's can't comprehend more than $100 at one time.
So anyone who doesn't agree with you is uneducated? What a small world you must live in!!
Rob

El Dorado, AR

#24 Oct 7, 2013
IT was lame until late saturday...there was a girl or two that showed up in skin tight dresses...the one in orange or pink or whatever it was made up for the whole thing being terrible. She was incredible...way too hot for El Do! Plus she was showing her panties...awesome!!!
line up sux

Nocona, TX

#25 Oct 7, 2013
Boring wrote:
<quoted text>
So anyone who doesn't agree with you is uneducated? What a small world you must live in!!
why don't they get some acts of significance? Burnt out Brett? Unheard of country acts? Best musicfest ever was 38 special. Haven't been in over 5 yrs. Get Nugent or Frampton or Zz or Skynard. I would pay to see them....get rid of Givens....
TheIntruder

Nashville, TN

#26 Oct 7, 2013
Well it figures 20 dollars to get in and 5 dollar beer but this time there were less vendors and less people. The city of el dorado is going downhill and it's because of the greedy people running it. The city even shut several bars down which was a bad mistake which was one of my favorite part. Doubt I'll ever go back to musicfest again.
stage

United States

#27 Oct 7, 2013
You mean the city spent $160,000 for a stage and its not good enough to use for main stage!$160,000 and we still have to rent one for main act? How much did trolley cost? And btw trolleys don't have wheels? Why do people call it a trolley?
jack

United States

#28 Oct 7, 2013
Its a cash cow for givens and frisby
resident

United States

#29 Oct 7, 2013
I dont like the way they did & if everyone will boycott future events we can do it as a team , and show the city ! Actions speaks louder than words! Show them we need industry here revenue and jobs so people can afford festivals! No jobs no money no show at festivals! They hire all out of town out of state workers on all projects anyway knowing the high unemploymentt rate here! Why not let the out of town and state workers support these events then see how things turn out! After the projects is complete these people could give two cents less about this city they are here for their cut of project revenue then they leave! The city is not helping the residents, why in the hell should we support these events? I dont give two cents who shows up I am not contributing a dime of money I earned outside this non supportive leaching off the poor people city! Hope others feel like I do about this!
lemme say this

El Dorado, AR

#30 Oct 7, 2013
Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kenny Rogers, Travis Tritt yes, these are great artist and its great that they came or are coming to play the Auditorium, and I believe Mark Givens has had a big hand in the increase in talent to the local area
and I have to say that like him or not Brett Michaels put on a great show and was decent at acting like El Dorado Musicfest was the place to be on Friday night -
that being said other things about Musicfest just seemed off this year and I'm not sure who is to blame.
The lack of vendors, which gives people something to do other than stand waiting to hear a band, was way down.
the kids place activities (inflatables and the like) were almost non-existent, and if you have kids, that don't care who Brett Michaels WAS or know these up and coming country artist, that's bad
food vendors- there seemed to be fewer than last year.
and to hear that El Dorado businesses were shut down without warning for a Main Street event -
so supposedly people would have to buy Musicfest over priced beer leaves a bad taste in my mouth -

now I don't know if Givens is to blame or not but I do believe whoever is needs to be held accountable.
Musicfest has the ability to draw un believable crowds to El Dorado, and to have it slowly year after year decrease in size and quality is a shame.
something feels a little Shady about this Musicfest.

Mayor

El Dorado, AR

#31 Oct 7, 2013
Best Musicfest ever. Thank all the thousands who showed up. Already looking forward to seeing you all next year. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Exactly

United States

#32 Oct 7, 2013
lemme say this wrote:
Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kenny Rogers, Travis Tritt yes, these are great artist and its great that they came or are coming to play the Auditorium, and I believe Mark Givens has had a big hand in the increase in talent to the local area
and I have to say that like him or not Brett Michaels put on a great show and was decent at acting like El Dorado Musicfest was the place to be on Friday night -
that being said other things about Musicfest just seemed off this year and I'm not sure who is to blame.
The lack of vendors, which gives people something to do other than stand waiting to hear a band, was way down.
the kids place activities (inflatables and the like) were almost non-existent, and if you have kids, that don't care who Brett Michaels WAS or know these up and coming country artist, that's bad
food vendors- there seemed to be fewer than last year.
and to hear that El Dorado businesses were shut down without warning for a Main Street event -
so supposedly people would have to buy Musicfest over priced beer leaves a bad taste in my mouth -

now I don't know if Givens is to blame or not but I do believe whoever is needs to be held accountable.
Musicfest has the ability to draw un believable crowds to El Dorado, and to have it slowly year after year decrease in size and quality is a shame.
something feels a little Shady about this Musicfest.
Amen to all that...agree 100%!!!
PennyPincher

United States

#33 Oct 7, 2013
BTW -- MUSICFEST is FREE B4 THREE!!!
Resident

United States

#34 Oct 7, 2013
PennyPincher wrote:
BTW -- MUSICFEST is FREE B4 THREE!!!
It should be because there's nothing worth paying for!
for real

El Dorado, AR

#35 Oct 7, 2013
I just got sick of giving tax dollars each year to fund this festival then having to pay to get in. It is supposed to be good for downtown business but they are being shut out of sales by leaders that are supposed to be for them. It cost too much and there is only seating for special ones and rest have to fight to see from bleachers being placed to block view. Is street show so kinda silly to have bleachers that only seat few. It had way fewer people than Blossom Fest and yes it is free to get in so you will spend money. Off track here
TyPeace

Red Oak, TX

#36 Oct 7, 2013
where the hell was amy arnold this year, i wanted my annual bj
Adam

United States

#37 Oct 8, 2013
for real wrote:
I just got sick of giving tax dollars each year to fund this festival then having to pay to get in. It is supposed to be good for downtown business but they are being shut out of sales by leaders that are supposed to be for them. It cost too much and there is only seating for special ones and rest have to fight to see from bleachers being placed to block view. Is street show so kinda silly to have bleachers that only seat few. It had way fewer people than Blossom Fest and yes it is free to get in so you will spend money. Off track here
I'm sorry you don't get it! NONE of YOUR taxes are being used to put on the festival. You must have some problems with the Main Street organization, the leadership or you just don't like successful events that bring positive publicity to our community by outsiders! Those are your problems not everyones else. Give it up!

FACT: Music Fest is the biggest and best activity held annually to help El Dorado.
jack

United States

#38 Oct 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you don't get it! NONE of YOUR taxes are being used to put on the festival. You must have some problems with the Main Street organization, the leadership or you just don't like successful events that bring positive publicity to our community by outsiders! Those are your problems not everyones else. Give it up!
FACT: Music Fest is the biggest and best activity held annually to help El Dorado.
WRONG! Tax$ is used to pay half of givens salary. If this event is so successful why can't his whole salary be paid from proceeds derived from the $20 gate and $5 beer?
TGIF

Conway, AR

#39 Oct 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
DEAD WRONG ! Any entity getting money from the A&P Commission, of which Musicfest gets $25,000 EVERY YEAR, is tax money. It is money from the hotel & motel tax that has been collected since 1996. Like one person said, if Musicfest is making money, as Mark Givens says every year, then why do they need tax money when it should be self-sufficient. After 26 years, its time for Musicfest to stand on its own. The city needs to quit funding this event with taxes.
Adam

United States

#40 Oct 8, 2013
A&P funds come directly from the people who stay in the hotels. Do you pay the hotel tax? I didn't think so. The A&P money is to promote the city and the events that go on here. It doesn't pay salaries.

However, the city does use YOUR tax dollars to fund other things like the conference center, the chamber and alot of other worthy causes that make El Dorado better.

The A&P keep providing assistance to Main Street because they keep delivering results year after year.

Ask yourself; what are you doing to make this a better place. Try doing more of whatever that is and maybe you will feel better.

i do!
TGIF

Conway, AR

#41 Oct 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
A&P funds come directly from the people who stay in the hotels. Do you pay the hotel tax? I didn't think so. The A&P money is to promote the city and the events that go on here. It doesn't pay salaries.
However, the city does use YOUR tax dollars to fund other things like the conference center, the chamber and alot of other worthy causes that make El Dorado better.
The A&P keep providing assistance to Main Street because they keep delivering results year after year.
Ask yourself; what are you doing to make this a better place. Try doing more of whatever that is and maybe you will feel better.
i do!
Look Slick, I know more about city, county and state government than you'll ever know. The hotel & motel tax is just that A TAX. Its tax money NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT ! Its administered by the city, therefore its tax money. The fact that it comes from people who stays in the hotels MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ! As long as its a tax, and administered by government MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well as the citizens of El Dorado, on how its Collected & spent. Just like the local sales tax... Even though EVERYBODY pays it when they buy something MAKES IT MY BUSINESS, as well the citizens of El Dorado on how its spent. You obviously NEVER been to a city council, or quorum court meeting to understand how government works. I've been to MANY city council & quorum court meetings, as well as attending MANY commission meetings You can even request on HOW the tax money is collected & spent. Its called "a matter of public record" covered by the state's Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). All tax money, whether its collected by city, county, or state is subjected to that law. So please read up on it before you show your ignorance again.

A tax, is a tax, is a tax. And its ALWAYS subject to review by anyone who requests it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr guest 42,044
Hey guess what 22 hr John 2
possession of firearm by certain person (Nov '11) Feb 11 chuckem 14
Global Business Institute - Feb. 8? Feb 7 Peter Greenberg Jr 3
Is a Junior College President worth $192,292 a ... Feb 1 Genisis 10
Understanding teen slang Jan 30 I call troll 9
Nostalgic El Dorado (May '08) Jan 25 Answer 944

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance