Amercable Seeks Union Representation?

Amercable Seeks Union Representation?

Posted in the El Dorado Forum

Kevin

United States

#1 Feb 4, 2013
Anyone know if this is true? Heard Union Reps would be in town Friday due to the diminishing work environment for employees? Anyone with experience in a Union know if this is a good thing or a bad move?

Since: Jun 09

El Dorado, AR

#2 Feb 4, 2013
Great, so they will shutdown operations and move them to China.
chuck unions

El Dorado, AR

#3 Feb 4, 2013
I lived in Detroit in the 1960's and 70's and was a member of United auto workers. As a worker I was out lots of money over this time with nothing to show for it and the union leaders were taking our dues and living high on the Hog. I went back to Detroit 5 years ago and that city has been turned into a third world country with what I see as no future.
well

El Dorado, AR

#4 Feb 4, 2013
chuck unions wrote:
I lived in Detroit in the 1960's and 70's and was a member of United auto workers. As a worker I was out lots of money over this time with nothing to show for it and the union leaders were taking our dues and living high on the Hog. I went back to Detroit 5 years ago and that city has been turned into a third world country with what I see as no future.
It seems like many parts of the country are turning that way without unions anyways.
truth

Dallas, TX

#5 Feb 4, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems like many parts of the country are turning that way without unions anyways.
Actually, unions are hurting the competitiveness of states like Michigan ans Washington while states like Texas and South Carolina thrive.
Yeqh Right

United States

#6 Feb 6, 2013
EldoMasterBlaster wrote:
Great, so they will shutdown operations and move them to China.
I'm sure they'd spend millions upon millions to move their operations from its strategic location here in South Arkansas to China over a Union. You're an idiot. Nexans bought this company because it was located in the United States. You really think they'd move it in order to avoid A Union? Come on now. That's ridiculous. The cost to move the equipment alone would be astronomical. Even if done, who's going to train them? I guarantee you no operator would move. And seeing as how non of the supervisors or managers have a clue out there, moving them would be pointless as well. Fact is, if they were to move the plant, it would be years before any profit was seen due to the fact they'd have no one to man the machines. AmerCable is here to stay, Union or no union. At least until the current management runs it into the ground. At the pace it's going now, I foresee nexans cutting their losses and closing the doors in five years time. The only thing that will save them is promotions from within so that the knowledge is moved up within the company instead of promoting based on military experience and church acquaintances.

El Dorado, AR

#7 Feb 6, 2013
China, Texas somewhere else. It really doesn't matter. And a LOT of their sales are to China.
Yeqh Right

United States

#8 Feb 6, 2013
EldoMasterBlaster wrote:
China, Texas somewhere else. It really doesn't matter. And a LOT of their sales are to China.
Who they sale to has no bearing on moving their operations. Moving an operation would kill the company. End of story. They are located here in El Dorado for a reason. It's strategic placement. Do you have any idea how many years it took this company to become profitable here? I bet you don't. Now that Nexans owns them, they won't tolerate anything less than black in their books. They didn't become an 11 Billion dollar a year company off of stupid decisions.
well

El Dorado, AR

#9 Feb 7, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, unions are hurting the competitiveness of states like Michigan ans Washington while states like Texas and South Carolina thrive.
Seems like Texas and South Carolina are hurting to me. I have many friends in both of those states and they say it's bad there as well. Not as bad as Michigan, but worse than it ever has been.

El Dorado, AR

#10 Feb 7, 2013
Yeqh Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Who they sale to has no bearing on moving their operations. Moving an operation would kill the company. End of story. They are located here in El Dorado for a reason. It's strategic placement. Do you have any idea how many years it took this company to become profitable here? I bet you don't. Now that Nexans owns them, they won't tolerate anything less than black in their books. They didn't become an 11 Billion dollar a year company off of stupid decisions.
And if a Union causes the cost of labor they loose one of the strategic reasons for being here.
truth

United States

#11 Feb 7, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like Texas and South Carolina are hurting to me. I have many friends in both of those states and they say it's bad there as well. Not as bad as Michigan, but worse than it ever has been.
Negative ghostrider. Texas is vastly growing and many corporations are expanding to South Carolina just because its a non-union state. Texas is the fastest growing in the nation on terms of population, economic expansion, etc. Your "many friends" are mistaken. The facts are there.
Yeqh Right

El Dorado, AR

#12 Feb 7, 2013
EldoMasterBlaster wrote:
<quoted text>And if a Union causes the cost of labor they loose one of the strategic reasons for being here.
First off, it's "Lose" not "Loose"

Secondly, the cost of labor is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the companies strategic location. Strategic Location is a geographical or social position which plays a part in a predetermined plan. Wages cannot play a role in this type of plan due to the fact no one can predict inflation or cost of living expenses. AmerCable is located in El Dorado because it serves as a central hub for their operations. With a home office in Houston, and a main production facility here in El Dorado, the company can produce its cable here, ship to Houston, finish the product, and ship it worldwide. The only tangible argument you have is to say that they could move to Houston. Which would be possible, but highly unlikely.
The Real World

El Dorado, AR

#13 Feb 25, 2013
yrs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton or Trump 1 hr union county 3
Come on out 1 hr Adolph 18
The city streets and county roads are terrible 1 hr Monday 15
Dollar General PC branch opening soon? 1 hr well 60
Is it a sin to blow poot in church? (Jun '14) 1 hr B Luther 13
News Airline Serving 3 Arkansas Airports Ends Operat... 2 hr EldoMasterBlaster 2
Film Festival 2 hr Hester 26

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages