New EHS Building Falling Apart Already

Posted in the El Dorado Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wtf

El Dorado, AR

#1 Jul 12, 2013
Just look at the paper today. It tells you everything. It is also an example of what our town officials do every time they are allowed enormous amounts of money for investment: they f**k it all up. And who pays for it? We do, in taxes and in quality.

The New High School was not only unnecessary but was millions upon millions over budget. We have now learned it was a huge waste of money, because it was so poorly built.

We overpaid for a half ass job. Happens every time. Really, why is it so hard for our officials to hire legitimate businesses to carry out building jobs? Happens all the time, but not here. I wonder how much money was pocketed that should have been spent on QUALITY.

Our kids deserve a nice, updated learning environment and the teachers deserve that as well. Our town FAILED them just as they fail at everything else.

SIX months after being built the building started having problems. It says it right there in today's paper if you want to argue like its not true. Seriously, it was built in 2011. Two years later the thing is becoming structurally unsound. Anyone want to predict how many more millions we will be spending in the next decade or so to fix it?

Oh of course some will say "these things happen". No sh*t. They happen when people do a piss poor job at building something with structural security. "These things happen" when corrupt fools with no sense of wtf they are doing are put in charge of a project of such grand scale.

Why does (almost) everything our town does end up being a high cost disappointment? Thank the Lord for our theater and arts center. We have done one single thing right. It deserves the funding, not all these other failures.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#2 Jul 12, 2013
It may be before yout time, but the arts center was a National Guard Armory.
Bess

El Dorado, AR

#3 Jul 12, 2013
At least the high school was built with plenty of parking- unlike the conference center.

Location hidden

#4 Jul 12, 2013
But like Murmil Heights, and Memphis Heights used to be, the parking lot is one way in and one way out.
well

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 12, 2013
Only because they keep the exit to Parnell Road blocked for some reason.
fact checking

El Dorado, AR

#6 Jul 12, 2013
wasn't all the property John Milam's and an abandoned oil field? Seems like they had to remove a bunch of old well heads that they found while clearing the land. Also, didn't Milam also get the contract to clear the land and build the road? Seems like a good ole boy deal to me. Now then, us tax payers get to pay for a rushed deal.
Joel

El Dorado, AR

#7 Jul 12, 2013
fact checking wrote:
wasn't all the property John Milam's and an abandoned oil field? Seems like they had to remove a bunch of old well heads that they found while clearing the land. Also, didn't Milam also get the contract to clear the land and build the road? Seems like a good ole boy deal to me. Now then, us tax payers get to pay for a rushed deal.
Old wells are all over this county! It would not matter where they put it. They piss away good money and should
Not be having any problems. I put all of the responsibility all on Bob Watson. He has mand more bone headed decisions recently than I can count!

Location hidden

#8 Jul 12, 2013
I am not a hydrologist, but there were a number of abandoned wells on the property. Could their capping modification have removed some venting, leading to some changes in below grade water table pressures?

Since: Jan 13

United States

#9 Jul 12, 2013
I think there were far more than a few abandoned oil wells on that property.
Whaaaaat

El Dorado, AR

#10 Jul 12, 2013
wtf wrote:
Just look at the paper today. It tells you everything. It is also an example of what our town officials do every time they are allowed enormous amounts of money for investment: they f**k it all up. And who pays for it? We do, in taxes and in quality.
The New High School was not only unnecessary but was millions upon millions over budget. We have now learned it was a huge waste of money, because it was so poorly built.
We overpaid for a half ass job. Happens every time. Really, why is it so hard for our officials to hire legitimate businesses to carry out building jobs? Happens all the time, but not here. I wonder how much money was pocketed that should have been spent on QUALITY.
Our kids deserve a nice, updated learning environment and the teachers deserve that as well. Our town FAILED them just as they fail at everything else.
SIX months after being built the building started having problems. It says it right there in today's paper if you want to argue like its not true. Seriously, it was built in 2011. Two years later the thing is becoming structurally unsound. Anyone want to predict how many more millions we will be spending in the next decade or so to fix it?
Oh of course some will say "these things happen". No sh*t. They happen when people do a piss poor job at building something with structural security. "These things happen" when corrupt fools with no sense of wtf they are doing are put in charge of a project of such grand scale.
Why does (almost) everything our town does end up being a high cost disappointment? Thank the Lord for our theater and arts center. We have done one single thing right. It deserves the funding, not all these other failures.
Seriously, do people not realize how much of this has to do with politics? This town used to be run by level headed business oriented men and women of the conservative (economically) persuasion. Now that we are ran by democrats, we are incapable of the most basic of things. I myself am independent because I am socially liberal but financially conservative. I see good in both parties. But having a town that is taken over by a small group of good ole boys who are democrats and devoid of an economic and financial sense has destroyed this town. Completely. Its like our town has its own mafia or something. It has become so corrupt. The people of this town deserve better.
Whaaaaat

El Dorado, AR

#11 Jul 12, 2013
well wrote:
Only because they keep the exit to Parnell Road blocked for some reason.
Why do they do that, anyway? It is so aggravating. There also needs to be a redlight put at the intersection of that road that leads out to the Highway. It is almost impossible for people coming from Parnell to turn onto Timberlane. There needs to be other exits besides Parnell and Timberlane.

Why can't our officials do anything without screwing it up? Are they all drunk when they make their layout plans or what?
Oh well

United States

#12 Jul 13, 2013
Whaaaaat wrote:
<quoted text> Why do they do that, anyway? It is so aggravating. There also needs to be a redlight put at the intersection of that road that leads out to the Highway. It is almost impossible for people coming from Parnell to turn onto Timberlane. There needs to be other exits besides Parnell and Timberlane.
Why can't our officials do anything without screwing it up? Are they all drunk when they make their layout plans or what?
They cut corners, to save money you can bet they did, and pocketed the rest if the truth was to be known.. Paid a tremendous price way too much for the land, the old high school was deemed unsafe and I thought thats the reason for building new high school that was a smokescreen too!! What about this rest area out here on 167@82jct Very same rest area as the rest that was built in the state, BUT this one cost three times as much as the rest!! Why????
Oh well

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2013
wtf wrote:
Rumor was they cut a lot of corners using jail inmates to do a lot of work that was supposed to be paid to licensed, bonded, and insured contractors to do!!! What kind of warranty did the contractors that built the school provide anyway??? None of this sh*t adds up and needs a outside investigation of how the money was spent, and where it all went for sure!! Why isnt the warranty covering these repairs,or is it, and we going to pay for it again and all of the big shot officals split the money????????? Amazing to me how corrupt this town is!!!
Actually

United States

#14 Jul 13, 2013
Whaaaaat wrote:
<quoted text> Seriously, do people not realize how much of this has to do with politics? This town used to be run by level headed business oriented men and women of the conservative (economically) persuasion. Now that we are ran by democrats, we are incapable of the most basic of things. I myself am independent because I am socially liberal but financially conservative. I see good in both parties. But having a town that is taken over by a small group of good ole boys who are democrats and devoid of an economic and financial sense has destroyed this town. Completely. Its like our town has its own mafia or something. It has become so corrupt. The people of this town deserve better.
Do you actually pay attention to anything that goes on in this town? Mayor Hash is a Republican. There are 2 admitted Republicans on the city council. The 2 independents are Republicans. The city attorney is a Republican. Our state representative is a Republican. Bob Watson? Republican. Richard Mason? Republican. Claiborne Deming and Madison Murphy? Republicans. Get a clue.
LMAO

El Dorado, AR

#15 Jul 13, 2013
ALL abve comments are from one ignorantAzzFag changing it's ignorantAzzWelfare name every comment like the ignorantAzzHomoFoodStampIdiot it is. What a fking Loser. Go take a bath Gooberlips, you thangs stank. LMAO.
Rumors_Hurt_Ever yone

Woodbury, CT

#16 Jul 13, 2013
You people are so stupid. The School has nothing to do with the City or it's leaders. They didnt approve the money to be spent nor the Architects that were hired to build it.I blame the Architects on this. They were hired to perform a gelological study of the ground, what's underneath and if it's fit to build something on it. The School Board can only go by what they were told and that it was feasible to build on this land so they built it. This same firm, if you can remember back, was the same one that converted the old Stuart's Office building into the Police Station that we taxpayers funded and lo and behold a few years later it was discovered a natural spring flowed under the station causing flooding and the buildingto crack so what do we do, we tear that building down, hire the same people to re-build a new police station on the same lot. They should have to pay for ALL the repairs to the School since they ok'd the spot as good to build on. I agree that blocking off the exit to Parnell road is assinine and noone c an give a good answer, but that's the city's call on that one. With the comment about Murmil having 1 way in and 1 way out, the city has bent over backwards to get them another route but they dont want an extension to Detroit Street. I would say then tough Sh***.Just like everything, if they dont get what they want it isnt good enough. What about that addition on the left side of Hillsboro? That neighborhood has 1 way in and 1 way out but you dont see them complaining?
LMAO

El Dorado, AR

#17 Jul 13, 2013
Rumors_Hurt_Everyone wrote:
You people are so stupid. The School has nothing to do with the City or it's leaders. They didnt approve the money to be spent nor the Architects that were hired to build it.I blame the Architects on this. They were hired to perform a gelological study of the ground, what's underneath and if it's fit to build something on it. The School Board can only go by what they were told and that it was feasible to build on this land so they built it. This same firm, if you can remember back, was the same one that converted the old Stuart's Office building into the Police Station that we taxpayers funded and lo and behold a few years later it was discovered a natural spring flowed under the station causing flooding and the buildingto crack so what do we do, we tear that building down, hire the same people to re-build a new police station on the same lot. They should have to pay for ALL the repairs to the School since they ok'd the spot as good to build on. I agree that blocking off the exit to Parnell road is assinine and noone c an give a good answer, but that's the city's call on that one. With the comment about Murmil having 1 way in and 1 way out, the city has bent over backwards to get them another route but they dont want an extension to Detroit Street. I would say then tough Sh***.Just like everything, if they dont get what they want it isnt good enough. What about that addition on the left side of Hillsboro? That neighborhood has 1 way in and 1 way out but you dont see them complaining?
IgnorantAzzFreakFag.
correcting ur confusion

United States

#18 Jul 13, 2013
Bess wrote:
At least the high school was built with plenty of parking- unlike the conference center.
There is plenty of parking at the Conference Center. They have accommodated well over 800 people on numerous occassions.
correcting ur confusion

United States

#19 Jul 13, 2013
Whaaaaat wrote:
<quoted text> Seriously, do people not realize how much of this has to do with politics? This town used to be run by level headed business oriented men and women of the conservative (economically) persuasion. Now that we are ran by democrats, we are incapable of the most basic of things. I myself am independent because I am socially liberal but financially conservative. I see good in both parties. But having a town that is taken over by a small group of good ole boys who are democrats and devoid of an economic and financial sense has destroyed this town. Completely. Its like our town has its own mafia or something. It has become so corrupt. The people of this town deserve better.
When was this town ever ran by "level headed business oriented men and women of the conservative persuasion? You know The Mayor is Republican, right?
Southark Student

North Little Rock, AR

#20 Jul 13, 2013
correcting ur confusion wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of parking at the Conference Center. They have accommodated well over 800 people on numerous occassions.
The only reason they are able to accommodate over 800 people is that those people park on SOUTHARK PARKING. The conference center has barely enough parking space for the employees that work in it, PLUS the students. Also there isn't enough room to drive around or move around(park) on the "parking lot" for the conference center

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wow 2 hr Mee 1
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 hr BARNEYII 41,489
building Wed Dollar General 3
Nostalgic El Dorado (May '08) Jan 1 Mimi 942
Deer hunters (Oct '16) Jan 1 recent widow 145

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages