ElDorado stuck in a rut on a straight...
actually

United States

#26 Jan 1, 2014
typical wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like its about to go down at Crab Apple 2nite!
I am here bitch where you at punk???
U R RIGHT

United States

#27 Jan 1, 2014
Scrooge McDuck wrote:
This message board is a reflection of El Do.
People are more willing to fight than they are to fix things.
Carry on, scumbags.
Exactly
actually

United States

#28 Jan 1, 2014
Righter you are a Topix yellow belly coward all mouth on here!! NO SHOW UP!! ALL MOUTH NO BACKBONE!!
Righter

United States

#30 Jan 2, 2014
actually wrote:
<quoted text> I am here bitch where you at punk???
I was there dumbass. Your scared little punkass wasn't. I said meet me at Crab Apple, not on Topix. All you are is a internet troll.
Actually

El Dorado, AR

#32 Jan 2, 2014
Scrooge McDuck wrote:
Any sizable business looking at El Dorado as a new location will see way more negatives than positives. Land is too expensive, transportation is limited, the education system is bad, and the available workforce is small and unskilled.
If a business needs to recruit skilled workers from outside the area, many prospective employees don't want to move their families to El Dorado.
The El Dorado Promise is seen by many as a drawing card, but its value is lessened if it forces your kids to go to a mediocre school.
The place to start is to improve the quality of the education system and ensure that new graduates are well-qualified to move forward in life. In my opinion, the main reason this doesn't happen is because there are too many people who think "what we have is good", or good enough.
A tremendous contribution to the decrease in our population (other than the loss of industry) is the fact that those who go off to Northern or Central Arkansas to further their education do not (in most cases) return to El Dorado because there are no "job offerings" here with pay-rates to match their qualifications, therefore, education "moves them forward in life"...but not here. So, my question is......how is that an answer to El Dorado's problems?
U R RIGHT

United States

#33 Jan 2, 2014
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
A tremendous contribution to the decrease in our population (other than the loss of industry) is the fact that those who go off to Northern or Central Arkansas to further their education do not (in most cases) return to El Dorado because there are no "job offerings" here with pay-rates to match their qualifications, therefore, education "moves them forward in life"...but not here. So, my question is......how is that an answer to El Dorado's problems?
Actually I have to agree with you!!
Scrooge McDuck

Little Rock, AR

#37 Jan 24, 2014
Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right that many of the town's best and brightest seek opportunities elsewhere once they get out of high school. But I think that is a lot more about sowing oats or seeing the world than anything else. The reason to improve the school system is to make the community more attractive to prospective business leaders with families.
Leo DeCreo

Forrest City, AR

#38 Jan 25, 2014
Scrooge McDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right that many of the town's best and brightest seek opportunities elsewhere once they get out of high school. But I think that is a lot more about sowing oats or seeing the world than anything else. The reason to improve the school system is to make the community more attractive to prospective business leaders with families.
I concur.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

#39 Jan 25, 2014
Clean Harbors and El Dorado Chemical are both expanding and will be adding permanent jobs. And yes, the turnaround at Lion Oil is temporary, but it occurs every year or two and puts local workers to work. The city council that some of you have decided to dump on authorized and assisted with the purchase of industrial simulation machinery for SouthArk to train (and retrain) locals to be able to work in local industries. The city council has also spent money on a sewer project that will support the expansion of Hugg & Hall, bringing 40-60 jobs with it. Other industries will also be able to tap into that same sewer project and increase work locally.

But don't let insignificant things like FACTS get in the way of your constant bitching.
Tootsie

El Dorado, AR

#40 Jan 25, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
Clean Harbors and El Dorado Chemical are both expanding and will be adding permanent jobs. And yes, the turnaround at Lion Oil is temporary, but it occurs every year or two and puts local workers to work. The city council that some of you have decided to dump on authorized and assisted with the purchase of industrial simulation machinery for SouthArk to train (and retrain) locals to be able to work in local industries. The city council has also spent money on a sewer project that will support the expansion of Hugg & Hall, bringing 40-60 jobs with it. Other industries will also be able to tap into that same sewer project and increase work locally.
But don't let insignificant things like FACTS get in the way of your constant bitching.
Sound like a city council member tooting his/her own horn. Keep tooting, maybe someone will buy it.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

#41 Jan 27, 2014
Tootsie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sound like a city council member tooting his/her own horn. Keep tooting, maybe someone will buy it.
Nope. Just thought I would shoot down some completely ignorant B.S. And hey, don't take my word for it. Try reading the newspaper. Or even better. Talk to someone that works at Clean Harbors. Or El Dorado Chemical. Or Lion Oil. Or SouthArk. Or Hugg & Hall. Get the facts yourself, instead of sitting on here spewing misinformed crap.
a swing and a miss

El Dorado, AR

#42 Jan 29, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Just thought I would shoot down some completely ignorant B.S. And hey, don't take my word for it. Try reading the newspaper. Or even better. Talk to someone that works at Clean Harbors. Or El Dorado Chemical. Or Lion Oil. Or SouthArk. Or Hugg & Hall. Get the facts yourself, instead of sitting on here spewing misinformed crap.
Your statement on the expansions is correct. Although I wouldn't base any arguement on information found in the El Dorado News Times.
Slick

Conway, AR

#43 Jan 29, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
OK...then answer this...

In 1990, the population of El Dorado was 23,146
In 2000, the population of El Dorado was 21,540
In 2010, the population of El Dorado was 18,884
In 2012, the population of El Dorado was estimated by the USCB at 18,481

If you do the math, El Dorado is losing 1 person every other day for the past 22 years. At the rate we're going, El Dorado will be a city of 15,000-16,000 in 2020.

Now if so much good is happening in El Dorado, why aren't people moving here ?
Or better yet, why are people that move here, move soon after they get here ?

And its not 'misinformation"...its fact.
Oil Town No Mas

El Dorado, AR

#44 Jan 29, 2014
El Do would never been bigger than Magnola or Camden not for the oil. Automation in the Oil Refineries, Timber Mills require far fewer people to work there. Two major Railroad Companies with train crews, track crews, office personnel, automation shut them down. Look at industrial road. Companies moved out for incenitives other town's offered ElDO didn't. El Do will drop down to the Camden/Magnoia range and level out.
Population

El Dorado, AR

#45 Jan 29, 2014
The other thing to take into account is that it isn't just people leaving the city to move out into the county. The city lost almost 2700 in the period of 10 years, while union county lost a few shy of 4000.

I don't see the city of El Dorado ever turning around and gaining population, but it would be nice if the loss would slow down a little. It is time to face the music. I'm not quite sure how you polish this place up to make recruiting a large company possible, but the guys who do it deserve a big check. It is a nice area to live, but bringing people from bigger area wouldn't be easy. I've lived here long enough to like it for the benefits of a small town, but I've lived in bigger towns also.

If not for my job here I'd be part of those numbers. To go one step further, I wouldn't even look for another job in this area if I lost it tomorrow.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

#46 Jan 29, 2014
Slick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK...then answer this...
In 1990, the population of El Dorado was 23,146
In 2000, the population of El Dorado was 21,540
In 2010, the population of El Dorado was 18,884
In 2012, the population of El Dorado was estimated by the USCB at 18,481
If you do the math, El Dorado is losing 1 person every other day for the past 22 years. At the rate we're going, El Dorado will be a city of 15,000-16,000 in 2020.
Now if so much good is happening in El Dorado, why aren't people moving here ?
Or better yet, why are people that move here, move soon after they get here ?
And its not 'misinformation"...its fact.
I'm not disputing the population totals. I'm disputing the notion that the city council has done nothing, and that nothing is happening. Local industries are starting to expand again. The city council and the El Dorado Economic Development Board are not sitting on their butts sucking their thumbs. Things may not be happening as fast as people want them to happen, but they are happening. More positive has happened in the last 6-7 years than has happened in the previous 20-30 before that. You can't force large companies to build a new factory in your back yard when they can do so somewhere else for 1/10th of the cost.

Let's face it. Manufacturing jobs went overseas several years ago because it was cheaper to make crap in China and ship it here than it was to just build it here. Some of that is starting to turn back around, but it is going to be a slow process. Until then, we need to be focusing on expanding existing industry (which is happening) and growing new ones from within (which they are trying to do with the entertainment district). Hopefully the new chamber prez has some other ideas on how to do more.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

#47 Jan 29, 2014
Population wrote:
The other thing to take into account is that it isn't just people leaving the city to move out into the county. The city lost almost 2700 in the period of 10 years, while union county lost a few shy of 4000.
I don't see the city of El Dorado ever turning around and gaining population, but it would be nice if the loss would slow down a little. It is time to face the music. I'm not quite sure how you polish this place up to make recruiting a large company possible, but the guys who do it deserve a big check. It is a nice area to live, but bringing people from bigger area wouldn't be easy. I've lived here long enough to like it for the benefits of a small town, but I've lived in bigger towns also.
If not for my job here I'd be part of those numbers. To go one step further, I wouldn't even look for another job in this area if I lost it tomorrow.
The city of El Dorado is not alone in this distinction (losing population). This trend is going on in many rural areas across the country. Unless you live in a large city or near a major 4-year university, chances are, your community has lost population in the past 20-30 years. At least here in El Dorado, there are some folks with some $$$ that are trying to turn things around.

Having said that, any young degreed professional that lives in El Dorado (me included) are in the same boat you are. If we lose our current job, chances are we will have to move to find a new one.
Lollipop

Memphis, TN

#48 Jan 30, 2014
Tootsie wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It sounded like a logical argument supported by detailed facts. Your bitching and complaining is what people are tired of and will not buy into.
Retardo The Magnificient

Eden, NC

#49 Jan 30, 2014
I like El Dorado. It's a nice place. I poop in the street.
All The Same

El Dorado, AR

#50 Jan 30, 2014
Retardo The Magnificient wrote:
I like El Dorado. It's a nice place. I poop in the street.
This comment is the topixFag. So are 99% of the other comments on this forum with constant name changes. As is ALL topics on ElDo topix. This homoWelfarePOS is why Topix is ruined. A worthless, nasty homosexual freak of nature.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 18 min BARNEYII 39,462
El Dorado's next mayor 2 hr Brandon 5
Martie Adams Chandler 17 hr John 23
Do it for the kids 18 hr common sense 7
Since cops are popular lately. Sun What 6
Canfor Eldorado Sun legend 4
Crooked Cop Sat Colin Kaepernick 4

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance