El Dorado Boxing Club
Way Back When

El Dorado, AR

#1 Sep 11, 2013
Anybody know anything about the boxers from back in the 1960's? I know some passed away, but was wondering about the rest. That was one h-ll of a boxing club.
I remember

United States

#2 Sep 11, 2013
Billy Martin and Kenneth Dixon
Old Friends

El Dorado, AR

#3 Sep 12, 2013
Kenneth Dickson didn't fight for the El Do Boxing club, he fought out of Monticello with his brothers. He was good though. Billy Martin, David Harris, Billy Ed Burley all passed away recently, last two/three years. Knox Rhyan passed a few years back. Joe Carroll is still around, Max Michael I think live's in Mississippi, lost track of Butch McCoy, Not sure about Tony Porter, he was down in south Texas years ago. The lighter weights I didn't, unfortunately, get to know well. It was a h-ll of a boxing club.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#4 Sep 12, 2013
Was Bill Barksdale involved?
Old Friends

El Dorado, AR

#5 Sep 12, 2013
Grigori wrote:
Was Bill Barksdale involved?
He fought against El Do a time or two. Barksdale boxed in the Marines. His son, Donny Barksdale, won the 2011 Arkansas Heavyweight Toughman competion in Little Rock. He was life long friends of most of the El Do boxers. Bout a year ago Barksdale told me that one of his best memories will be on a Sunday morning that Billy Martin and Billy Ed Burley came by and visited for several hours. They lived in north Arkansas and south Missouri. Billy Martin passed away a few months later, then Billy Ed shortly after.
impressed

El Dorado, AR

#6 Sep 12, 2013
I am very impressed that you have been able to make 5 constructive posts without some goofball posting some stupid comment. Great job on the post!
Amber Burley

Wrangell, AK

#8 Sep 23, 2013
Looking around on google and stumbled upon this post. My Dad is Billy Ed Burley. He was wild in his early years so I've heard and one hell of a boxer. Thanks for the post, makes me happy to hear others share stories about him. He passed away in 2008 and is missed dearly!
boxer

El Dorado, AR

#9 Sep 23, 2013
Billy Martin and Joe Carroll they were a hand full !
Marlu

Kansas City, KS

#10 Sep 23, 2013
I have very fond memories of all these wonderful men!!! Billy Ed was my father.with Briana & Amber[Tuffy] after me. Thanks for thinking of such great men & as I call them 'The Legends"!!!!
Paula

El Dorado, AR

#11 Sep 24, 2013
No one said anything bad about another person. Unbelievable
Wondering

El Dorado, AR

#12 Sep 24, 2013
I heard that back in the day companies brought men in to play softball for them and gave them good jobs,,,, does anyone remember this?? If so who was some of the players
steve

El Dorado, AR

#13 Oct 1, 2013
Old Friends wrote:
Kenneth Dickson didn't fight for the El Do Boxing club, he fought out of Monticello with his brothers. He was good though. Billy Martin, David Harris, Billy Ed Burley all passed away recently, last two/three years. Knox Rhyan passed a few years back. Joe Carroll is still around, Max Michael I think live's in Mississippi, lost track of Butch McCoy, Not sure about Tony Porter, he was down in south Texas years ago. The lighter weights I didn't, unfortunately, get to know well. It was a h-ll of a boxing club.
Yah, Kenneth was pretty good. I heard Knox Rhyan was, too. Too bad they're both gone. Both of their sons turned out to be the biggest wimps that El Do ever produced, though.
Jerry towns

Milton, FL

#14 Nov 26, 2015
Way Back When wrote:
Anybody know anything about the boxers from back in the 1960's? I know some passed away, but was wondering about the rest. That was one h-ll of a boxing club.
Who did David Harris box with at deer camp about 1976?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 min Mark 34,543
Cold beer and hot girls 1 hr Curious 39
Ucaps Letter to Editor 1 hr sympathy 2
The Poor Eppinettes, looks like they all split ... 1 hr Curious 5
Murphy Arts District open house 2 hr to Fail 35
MCSA Brad's Wife 7 hr Bob 14
city of el dorado (Apr '12) 7 hr Ken 28

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance