Agree with the above

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Another thing that baffles me is that, outside of Arkansas there are a lot, if not most colleges that take SAT scores over ACT. Yet, there are some schools in the area of El Dorado that don't even push students or let students know they should take the SAT. Most California Universities won't even look at you if you didn't take the SAT.
curiously enough

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

actually wrote:
<quoted text>
No, almost anyone can not get a bank loan. Schools do take in all the enrollment that they can, and they START with the higher test scores, THEN continue accepting on down until max enrollment is fulfilled. If someone can't pay for it, they move to the next on the list. With college being a service industry in this day, why rack up thousands of dollars in student loans at a large university? That's right... "Intelligent" people like you who feel that better opportunities can be had there finish your sentences with "so yeah." A fool and his money are soon separated.
If Florida didn't have students with better ACT scores with many more "parents with money to burn," your friend might've gotten in. Nothing can be determined with your vague information, and I hope you are not a highly-touted example of the PC educational system.
You're talking to a kid. You know how kids talk nowadays. Their slang is all internet babble. Give them a break. Who f****d you up to make you so hateful to a child just because you disagree with her POV?
curiously enough

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Agree with the above wrote:
Another thing that baffles me is that, outside of Arkansas there are a lot, if not most colleges that take SAT scores over ACT. Yet, there are some schools in the area of El Dorado that don't even push students or let students know they should take the SAT. Most California Universities won't even look at you if you didn't take the SAT.
The SAT is slightly more difficult and almost pure verbal and math. Most Southern states push on the ACTs because there are broader subjects and not near as many questions on verbal and math. You will find that states with poorer education go with ACT, more competitive academic states go with SAT, though most states will take either/or.
yep

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

happy wrote:
What about all the gays and gay activities here in El Dorado? That's a plus, right?
El Dorado just had a gay event last weekend. Bugs, Bands, & Bikes.
actually

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

imgladimgone wrote:
<quoted text> They might enroll, but do they graduate. Look that up and stastics don't lie. Very few graduate college.
Many actually do graduate. You should actually look it up before you post.
actually

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

curiously enough wrote:
<quoted text> The SAT is slightly more difficult and almost pure verbal and math. Most Southern states push on the ACTs because there are broader subjects and not near as many questions on verbal and math. You will find that states with poorer education go with ACT, more competitive academic states go with SAT, though most states will take either/or.
You are dead on. More schools in Arkansas should push for SAT test-taking. They limit the potential for our local students before the students even have a chance to consider schools.
actually

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Agree with the above wrote:
<quoted text>
Even those Ivy League colleges have students who apply with perfect GPA's and well above required SAT scores. I know here in Boston, to get into places like Harvard and MIT which are 2 of the most prestigious universities in the nation, just having those two things alone won't get you in. You have to have something to stand out above the rest. Some students who go to Harvard told me they had to write essays about different things. They were given a topic, and they only pick the most interesting essays they read to even be given interviews to get into the schools.
Also I used to live 10 minutes from Stanford University, and I can also tell you, I know someone who played Basketball for the University but started out on an academic scholarship. Being able to play basketball was a plus, but she actually had an awesome talent that set her apart from other students and that got her into the university. I know students who went to Stanford business school, to get into their masters program, you have to show that you have at LEAST $100,000 to pay for it. They don't let just anyone into these schools.
My point exactly. Not just anyone has $20k a semester "to burn."
actually

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

curiously enough wrote:
<quoted text> You're talking to a kid. You know how kids talk nowadays. Their slang is all internet babble. Give them a break. Who f****d you up to make you so hateful to a child just because you disagree with her POV?
I'm not far from being "a kid," either, asshole. But I don't talk like an immature dingbat. And its not that I disagree with her point of view. So I ask you: do you feel anyone can get anywhere without financial backing?Colleges are more concerned about your ability to pay than your SAT or ACT scores.
Agree with the above

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

actually wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dead on. More schools in Arkansas should push for SAT test-taking. They limit the potential for our local students before the students even have a chance to consider schools.
Yes, this is what I was trying to say when I said it baffled me that they don't push students to take the SAT as well.
Sulu

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

II ageee
butbutt

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

I like living here. I like it a lot. Love it, I guess. But right now it is hot as heck outside and I admit I do have some envy for my relatives that live in Wyoming. Lol. This humid, hot weather is driving me nuts! I wish I could live up in Missouri or Wyoming or something for the summer months then come right back! I wouldn't mind seeing some snow here either but that is one of the perks of living here - we don't get horrid winters with months of snow.
eli

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

happy wrote:
What about all the gays and gay activities here in El Dorado? That's a plus, right?
there are few gays in town and there are no gay activities in el dorado. if there were gay activities in el dorado, a number of people in town would still have equal signs on their cars and equal signs as their profile pics on facebook.
JayBaby Collins

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

eli wrote:
<quoted text>
there are few gays in town and there are no gay activities in el dorado. if there were gay activities in el dorado, a number of people in town would still have equal signs on their cars and equal signs as their profile pics on facebook.
Gay people suck
jww

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

eli wrote:
<quoted text>
There aren't gay activities in most small towns. That's because contrary to popular belief, the gay population isn't that big, just that loud. We're led to think there are a billion gay people everywhere but there just isn't. Besides, with all the rednecks here we will probably not be seeing anything officially gay for a while. Monroe, Shreveport and Little Rock have plenty and those are the biggest populations within two hours of here. I bet it sucks being gay in a small town in the rural South but it is what it is, isn't it? You've got to go out of town and rent a hotel for the night if you want to do some gay partying :(
lalalala

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

D vb n vCard see bb cv
For real dude

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

half true wrote:
Back to what the thread was about in the first place..... I see the perks people get who live in other places than El Dorado, but I also see the major perks for those of us who do. The Promise is a huge factor. Our kids have the benefit of not having tons of debt when they graduate from university. We also get to live in a place with fresh air and can live in the country, unlike the suburbs of cities where houses are so close you can spit on your neighbors house from your own window! Personally, I like the fact that I could walk outside stark naked if I wanted and not a damn person could see me. We have everything we need here and more. I grew up in Fordyce, and let me tell you, El Dorado is like a metropolis compared to that place. To me, El Dorado isn't too small and it isn't too big. Just right for us. My kids may make other decisions. They're young and want to see the world, the big cities, all of that. But I think one day they will be burnt out on that and want to return here, or at least to a town that is similar. On the other hand, one of my dearest friends and her family just moved to Alabama about a year ago. They hated it here. I thought to myself the same thing a lot of people do that like it here.. "they're just unhappy and miserable and will be anywhere". I think part of me was just mad she was leaving, like my town, the town I love, wasn't "good enough" for her. But there she is a year later loving it! So happy to be out of El Dorado and living in a town she raves about like its heaven.
Different strokes for different folks! I know El Dorado doesn't have everything but it has enough for us. If it doesn't for someone else I'm not going to get offended or call them miserable, I just think they should try living elsewhere so they will be happier.
Fresh air my ass: Lion OIl , Cross oil, ENSCO AKA "CLEAN HARBORS"!!!, NEED I CONTINUE?!?
For REAL dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

For real dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Fresh air my ass: Lion OIl , Cross oil, ENSCO AKA "CLEAN HARBORS"!!!, NEED I CONTINUE?!?
Not everyone in south Arkansas live right next to a chemical plant or refinery. That's the smell of money you're experiencing.
Yes, south Arkansas, for the majority, does have fresh air.
poptop

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

For REAL dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone in south Arkansas live right next to a chemical plant or refinery. That's the smell of money you're experiencing.
Yes, south Arkansas, for the majority, does have fresh air.
Agree that there's plenty of clean air here and our weather is better than what most experience. It gets really hot here but only for a few months and it doesn't get extremely cold which is nice. But the smell of money. Really? Our town is stagnant, if not dying. We've lost way too much industry.

Some people will just never admit El Dorado has problems. Everywhere has problems but El Dorado's problems are our own particular problems and they need to be admitted to and then solved, not ignored and denied.
for REAL dude

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

poptop wrote:
<quoted text>Agree that there's plenty of clean air here and our weather is better than what most experience. It gets really hot here but only for a few months and it doesn't get extremely cold which is nice. But the smell of money. Really? Our town is stagnant, if not dying. We've lost way too much industry.
Some people will just never admit El Dorado has problems. Everywhere has problems but El Dorado's problems are our own particular problems and they need to be admitted to and then solved, not ignored and denied.
We have lost industry over the last 30 year's, but so has many other towns. For the industry we have left, yes, it is the smell of money. Lion Oil, Great Lakes, Clean Harbors, El Dorado Chemical, etc. don't stop making money because Prescolite left 20 years ago. However, El Dorado is not dying. Over the last 10 years, it's been om a stagnant decline, but nothing worse.

The problem with your line of thinking is that the problems have already been identified and ARE being worked on. Whether you like the direction or not, more businesses have been started up than have left. El Dorado's problems are not near as severe as many other places, and it is improving! Why in the world would anybody want to just say "aw shucks, we need to deny and ignore these problems?" They're not. If you just read the paper on a daily basis, you'd see the positive work that is going in. The paper has done a better job recently of keeping people like you, who are out of the loop, informed of the great things going on around here. Enjoy it. Don't cry over the past.
curious

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

for REAL dude wrote:
<quoted text>
We have lost industry over the last 30 year's, but so has many other towns. For the industry we have left, yes, it is the smell of money. Lion Oil, Great Lakes, Clean Harbors, El Dorado Chemical, etc. don't stop making money because Prescolite left 20 years ago. However, El Dorado is not dying. Over the last 10 years, it's been om a stagnant decline, but nothing worse.
The problem with your line of thinking is that the problems have already been identified and ARE being worked on. Whether you like the direction or not, more businesses have been started up than have left. El Dorado's problems are not near as severe as many other places, and it is improving! Why in the world would anybody want to just say "aw shucks, we need to deny and ignore these problems?" They're not. If you just read the paper on a daily basis, you'd see the positive work that is going in. The paper has done a better job recently of keeping people like you, who are out of the loop, informed of the great things going on around here. Enjoy it. Don't cry over the past.
Bringing retail to town and nothing else is in no way going to grow El Dorado, or even keep it afloat. We need industry and there isn't much going on on that front. I think its awesome we are going to get more shopping and restaurants or whatever, even though logically we can't support much more, but that won't be making El Dorado's population increase. The only way to make a comeback is to get people moving here again. All I can do is hope that at the very least we stay like we are and don't continue to decline in numbers. I still can't believe the percentage of people that left over the last ten years. We have to stop anymore of that from happening, and to do that will take large industrial complexes coming back into the town. Something our officials haven't exactly been focused on, for those of us who are "in the loop". Though honestly I don't think there is anything they can do. Industry fleeing is part of a national problem, not a local one. Until our politicians stop punishing industry and productivity with the highest corporate tax rate in the entire world all for the sake of "paying their fair share", I don't think much is going to change.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sasa (Aug '11) 5 hr zuki1100 19
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr Speller Feller 29,606
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 6 hr Ancient Do Do 9,866
Debate: Ferguson - El Dorado, AR 7 hr Bullseye 73
Brandy Alewine fantasy world ends 8 hr FYI 28
Landlords in eldorado 10 hr rob 6
So Glad this Person has been Dumbed Down a Bit 13 hr Duck lover 79

Search the El Dorado Forum:
•••
•••
El Dorado Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

El Dorado Jobs