The Perks of Not Living in El Dorado

Posted in the El Dorado Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Isila

El Dorado, AR

#1 May 13, 2013
I grew up here then moved three years ago when I got out of high school. I'm home right now for summer break from school. Growing up here, I never saw anything wrong with El Dorado. I enjoyed growing up here and never understood why so many of my friends were so ready to "get out of this shit hole", as they often put it. I thought the food was fine, the people were fine, the businesses all ran smoothly, etc.

Then I moved to a town in Texas, about the same size as El Dorado, where I now attend college. It changed my world. Until I went somewhere better, I had NO idea just how horrible this place really is. Now every summer I have to come here and deal with the horrible restaurants, pathetic shopping options, and all the ignorant rednecks and, well, to put it frankly, the ghetto n*****s that are ruining this town. I know that El Dorado has always been like this, but I realize now that I just didn't know any better. I had never lived outside of this town and didn't know how many other small towns we have in this country that are thriving, not dying like this one. I love coming home to see my family and would do so anywhere in the world, but I hate that they choose to live here. If it weren't for their jobs and friends, I don't think they would.

Now, my little town in Texas is about 78% white. The rest of the racial makeup is mostly black. Some of you know what this kind of town is like - clean, nice, good food, good service, nice shopping, FAR less crime, better education. But some of you don't, and it amazes me that those of you who won't open your eyes to what this place really is, see it as some sort of great town. That couldn't be further from the truth.

In Texas, I live with a roommate where we share a $1200 rented home and live in a very nice neighborhood. I've looked at comparisons here and the disappointment is staggering. I would have to pay at least $700 more for the same housing. My gas is cheaper in Texas, my taxes are cheaper, my food is of good quality, even the fast food workers are orderly and kind, not rude and pissed off like they always seem to be here. We even have a huge organic store that carries just about everything one could imagine, and it even offers a plethora of gluten free options for my roommate who has celiac disease. And the people there! They are wonderful! Sure you see a rare ghetto thug or redneck trash but for the most part the people are happy and content and well educated... not ignorant and sad and miserable, which is what I see here in El Dorado now that my eyes have been opened. Everything where I'm from is just... nicer, brighter, sunnier. I pity the people who live here and have never lived in such a place where the population isn't poisoned by having a high minority population that sucks the town into decrepitness and a lack of function.

So my advice to any of you who think this town is so great - get your head out of your ass! There isn't a town in this country with a high minority population that will ever be nice. There will always be more crime, worse education and poorer quality establishments in a town like ours. The ghettos have ruined this town and no matter how hard the good people here try to better it, it will never happen. Not unless this town suddenly becomes almost all white.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are many wonderful black people. My roommate in Texas actually has a black boyfriend and I adore him and he is handsome and extremely intelligent, far smarter than I could ever be. But he also realizes the problems that large percentages of blacks cause to certain towns, cities and even the nation as a whole. His parents raised him right. They raised him to pay attention to the truth.

I implore any of you who have a chance to get out of here to run as if your life depended on it, and never look back. Any of you kids who want to get higher education - leave this place, leave this entire area. I promise you, you will be happy you did.
stay gone

Dallas, TX

#2 May 13, 2013
Isila wrote:
I grew up here then moved three years ago when I got out of high school. I'm home right now for summer break from school. Growing up here, I never saw anything wrong with El Dorado. I enjoyed growing up here and never understood why so many of my friends were so ready to "get out of this shit hole", as they often put it. I thought the food was fine, the people were fine, the businesses all ran smoothly, etc.
Then I moved to a town in Texas, about the same size as El Dorado, where I now attend college. It changed my world. Until I went somewhere better, I had NO idea just how horrible this place really is. Now every summer I have to come here and deal with the horrible restaurants, pathetic shopping options, and all the ignorant rednecks and, well, to put it frankly, the ghetto n*****s that are ruining this town. I know that El Dorado has always been like this, but I realize now that I just didn't know any better. I had never lived outside of this town and didn't know how many other small towns we have in this country that are thriving, not dying like this one. I love coming home to see my family and would do so anywhere in the world, but I hate that they choose to live here. If it weren't for their jobs and friends, I don't think they would.
Now, my little town in Texas is about 78% white. The rest of the racial makeup is mostly black.
In Texas, I live with a roommate where we share a $1200 rented home and live in a very nice neighborhood. I've looked at comparisons here and the disappointment is staggering. I would have to pay at least $700 more for the same housing. My gas is cheaper in Texas, my taxes are cheaper, my food is of good quality, even the fast food workers are orderly and kind, not rude and pissed off like they always seem to be here. We even have a huge organic store that carries just about everything one could imagine, and it even offers a plethora of gluten free options for my roommate who has celiac disease. And the people there! They are wonderful! Sure you see a rare ghetto thug or redneck trash but for the most part the people are happy and content and well educated... not ignorant and sad and miserable, which is what I see here in El Dorado now that my eyes have been opened. Everything where I'm from is just... nicer, brighter, sunnier. I pity the people who live here and have never lived in such a place where the population isn't poisoned by having a high minority population that sucks the town into decrepitness and a lack of function.
So my advice to any of you who think this town is so great - get your head out of your ass! There isn't a town in this country with a high minority population that will ever be nice. There will always be more crime, worse education and poorer quality establishments in a town like ours. The ghettos have ruined this town and no matter how hard the good people here try to better it, it will never happen. Not unless this town suddenly becomes almost all white.
Don't get me wrong, I know there are many wonderful black people. My roommate in Texas actually has a black boyfriend and I adore him and he is handsome and extremely intelligent, far smarter than I could ever be. But he also realizes the problems that large percentages of blacks cause to certain towns, cities and even the nation as a whole. His parents raised him right. They raised him to pay attention to the truth.
I implore any of you who have a chance to get out of here to run as if your life depended on it, and never look back. Any of you kids who want to get higher education - leave this place, leave this entire area. I promise you, you will be happy you did.
Get your head put of your ass. El Dorado is a great town. Your opinions are yours to keep, but your misguided "experiences" has limited the opportunities you seek out for yourself. Feel free to remain miserable somewhere else. Nobody will miss your pessimistic, pissy attitude here. That is what ruins a town.
Trash

United States

#3 May 13, 2013
Isila...Well said! I got the hell out, sadly, quite later in life than you but, I am now thriving! That place sucked the life out of me. Those ignorant reddneck hicks are nothing but liars, cheats & thieves that should be put down like a rabid dog! Congrats to you! Many well wishes!!!
Dustin Hall

Little Rock, AR

#4 May 13, 2013
Trash wrote:
Isila...Well said! I got the hell out, sadly, quite later in life than you but, I am now thriving! That place sucked the life out of me. Those ignorant reddneck hicks are nothing but liars, cheats & thieves that should be put down like a rabid dog! Congrats to you! Many well wishes!!!
Shut up Scott Tedder. You never lived in El Dorado.
buddy

El Dorado, AR

#5 May 13, 2013
I'velived in Monroe,Shreveport,Russellville ,Pine Bluff, Conway and Springdale and El Dorado is the best town to live.
I dont get it

El Dorado, AR

#6 May 13, 2013
stay gone wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your head put of your ass. El Dorado is a great town. Your opinions are yours to keep, but your misguided "experiences" has limited the opportunities you seek out for yourself. Feel free to remain miserable somewhere else. Nobody will miss your pessimistic, pissy attitude here. That is what ruins a town.
How is that person pessimistic when he or she states over and over how much he or she loves that town in Texas? Miserable people are miserable everywhere and that person obviously loves their college town and is positive and upbeat and sees great things in that town, which is extremely positive! And that person isn't saying they're miserable here, just saying he or she sees the faults in our town that he or she didn't recognize until they moved elsewhere. I've heard these types of stories here my whole life. People are fine living here then they move and come back to visit with stories of how wonderful their new town is and that they never knew how bad El Dorado was until they lived elsewhere. And I agree that our high minority population will keep our town from ever truly moving forward to what it should be. Its a shame that people like you don't realize that. It is ok to be content where you are, I know I am, but I'm not deluded about what this town is or isn't. Ignoring problems never solves them. Besides, if I were YOU I wouldn't be calling someone else miserable. To me being the Topix stalker who has been obsessed with a single family in this town for YEARS and lives and breathes for checking Topix multiple times a day just to talk about them or other nonsense, is just about the biggest example of a miserable person that I've ever seen in my life.
I dont get it

El Dorado, AR

#7 May 13, 2013
buddy wrote:
I'velived in Monroe,Shreveport,Russellville ,Pine Bluff, Conway and Springdale and El Dorado is the best town to live.
I graduated from UCA in 05' with my bachelor's and got my masters there in 07'. I don't know about the rest of those places but you are a damn fool if you think this places holds a candle to Conway. Conway is nice, clean, has a seriously low minority population. It also has some of the best schools in the state (if you don't believe me, look it up on schooldigger.com and look at the state rankings). Conway also has three Universities, one being Hendrix which is one of the best in the state. Not to mention Conway is a short drive to Little Rock which is our state hub of activity. Wow. Some of you people are so deluded.
actually

Dallas, TX

#8 May 13, 2013
I dont get it wrote:
<quoted text> I graduated from UCA in 05' with my bachelor's and got my masters there in 07'. I don't know about the rest of those places but you are a damn fool if you think this places holds a candle to Conway. Conway is nice, clean, has a seriously low minority population. It also has some of the best schools in the state (if you don't believe me, look it up on schooldigger.com and look at the state rankings). Conway also has three Universities, one being Hendrix which is one of the best in the state. Not to mention Conway is a short drive to Little Rock which is our state hub of activity. Wow. Some of you people are so deluded.
Conway is congested with traffic, nothing of notoriety for families, too many college kids with time on their hands, and doesn't hold a candle to the number of college enrollment of their graduating high school seniors as El Dorado. El Dorado is a much more quality place to live!
Informed

El Dorado, AR

#9 May 13, 2013
You forgot to mention our town's SERIOUS drug abuse problems. It is nation wide, I know, I know. But the statistics show that this county has a severe and disproportionate problem for the size of our population.
actually

Dallas, TX

#10 May 13, 2013
Informed wrote:
You forgot to mention our town's SERIOUS drug abuse problems. It is nation wide, I know, I know. But the statistics show that this county has a severe and disproportionate problem for the size of our population.
Just as violent crimes are lower than the national average. One arguable problem comes with one sign of hope. We have more earthquakes, but less snowstorms. We have more tornadoes, but less hurricanes. The conclusion is that every place has its draws and setbacks. If you don't like where you are, it is easy to move somewhere else, if you are,TRULY unhappy.
happy

El Dorado, AR

#11 May 13, 2013
What about all the gays and gay activities here in El Dorado? That's a plus, right?
Its Scott Biatches

El Dorado, AR

#12 May 13, 2013
Hey kid one day you'll grow up and won't be invited to the parties anymore then what?
Jackie

El Dorado, AR

#14 May 13, 2013
The real question is so what, who cares ? You could take any city in this country and find people who like it and people who don't. So what's the point of your original post? To knock others down?
i dont get it

El Dorado, AR

#15 May 13, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Conway is congested with traffic, nothing of notoriety for families, too many college kids with time on their hands, and doesn't hold a candle to the number of college enrollment of their graduating high school seniors as El Dorado. El Dorado is a much more quality place to live!
Dude, did you even go to that website? Conway area schools really ARE the highest ranked in the state for national accreditation in mathematics and literacy. They sweep most of the top ten in elementary schools and the top 30 in high schools.

Know what EHS ranks?#173. Thats right, 173! And there are only 264 high schools in the state! And these are the official numbers that are used nationwide for gauging academic ability. Go to schooldigger.com if you don't believe me.

Traffic in Conway does suck I'll admit that, but thats because the town is actually growing... and fast! There is always construction going on to fit the growing and thriving population. Being within driving distance of Little Rock without dealing with all the Little Rock trash? Awesome. Lakes everywhere. Mountains to hike! And some of us like being in an academically oriented town. It means there are EDUCATED people everywhere. Intellectuals, thinkers. There are also constant activities going on. Festivals and symposiums and lectures of all kinds, every single day, because of those colleges being there.

Btw, the only reason EHS has such a high college enrollment is bc of the Promise and you know that. I wonder how many of those kids drop out after freshman year? I even provided you with a link, a local one, that states clearly that the promise is responsible for the low drop-out rate. There is no other reason. You really have your head in the clouds about this town. And all you have to say to these FACTS is that I'm "just being negative". Tell me, can facts be negative? If they can, then I guess I'm negative.

http://www.eldoradopromise.com/pdf/ElDoradoPr...
i dont get it

El Dorado, AR

#16 May 13, 2013
I dont get it wrote:
<quoted text> How is that person pessimistic when he or she states over and over how much he or she loves that town in Texas? Miserable people are miserable everywhere and that person obviously loves their college town and is positive and upbeat and sees great things in that town, which is extremely positive! And that person isn't saying they're miserable here, just saying he or she sees the faults in our town that he or she didn't recognize until they moved elsewhere. I've heard these types of stories here my whole life. People are fine living here then they move and come back to visit with stories of how wonderful their new town is and that they never knew how bad El Dorado was until they lived elsewhere. And I agree that our high minority population will keep our town from ever truly moving forward to what it should be. Its a shame that people like you don't realize that. It is ok to be content where you are, I know I am, but I'm not deluded about what this town is or isn't. Ignoring problems never solves them. Besides, if I were YOU I wouldn't be calling someone else miserable. To me being the Topix stalker who has been obsessed with a single family in this town for YEARS and lives and breathes for checking Topix multiple times a day just to talk about them or other nonsense, is just about the biggest example of a miserable person that I've ever seen in my life.
To me, loving your new town is the opposite of miserable. This guy calls anyone who points out El Dorado's faults "pessimistic". Personally, I've never seen someone rave about their love for Texas so much in my life. That original poster is quite the optimistic patriot, actually. And I didn't know that guy was the Topix stalker. He REALLY doesn't have the right to call anyone miserable.
Trash

Dallas, TX

#17 May 13, 2013
Dustin Hall wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up Scott Tedder. You never lived in El Dorado.
I'm not Tedder, dumbass! I'm a woman....You are a prime example of the ignorant, redneck hick trash that I was talking about..."Paw, get yer rifle! Maynard done got the rabbies!"
actually

Dallas, TX

#18 May 14, 2013
i dont get it wrote:
<quoted text> Dude, did you even go to that website? Conway area schools really ARE the highest ranked in the state for national accreditation in mathematics and literacy. They sweep most of the top ten in elementary schools and the top 30 in high schools.
Know what EHS ranks?#173. Thats right, 173! And there are only 264 high schools in the state! And these are the official numbers that are used nationwide for gauging academic ability. Go to schooldigger.com if you don't believe me.
Traffic in Conway does suck I'll admit that, but thats because the town is actually growing... and fast! There is always construction going on to fit the growing and thriving population. Being within driving distance of Little Rock without dealing with all the Little Rock trash? Awesome. Lakes everywhere. Mountains to hike! And some of us like being in an academically oriented town. It means there are EDUCATED people everywhere. Intellectuals, thinkers. There are also constant activities going on. Festivals and symposiums and lectures of all kinds, every single day, because of those colleges being there.
Btw, the only reason EHS has such a high college enrollment is bc of the Promise and you know that. I wonder how many of those kids drop out after freshman year? I even provided you with a link, a local one, that states clearly that the promise is responsible for the low drop-out rate. There is no other reason. You really have your head in the clouds about this town. And all you have to say to these FACTS is that I'm "just being negative". Tell me, can facts be negative? If they can, then I guess I'm negative.
http://www.eldoradopromise.com/pdf/ElDoradoPr...
Then, I can tell you didn't attend Conway. I referred to college enrollment, not some study done based off of student test scores. Yeah, we have the "the Promise to pay for it, blah, blah, blah..." But El Dorado still has more seniors enroll in college EVERY YEAR than Conway does. That is a fact you can't ignore. Colleges and Universities are not concerned about getting the best and the brightest. They are service institutions, collecting tuition and scholarships to pay salaries and maintenance. But more El Dorado seniors enrolling every year provides more opportunities for our youth. And a low drop-out rate is a good thing, dumbass.

Also, El Dorado has festivals and lectures going on all the time, even with one community college as compared to 3 colleges. SACC gets involved within our local businesses, providing educational focuses to meet needs. They just don't push through Psychology and Communication majors.

Some people don't like mountains. So, if you do, that's your perogative. Move there! El Dorado and its lack of mountains seems more attractive. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Conway growing is also a bad thing. If you had any educational background in community.development, you'd understand that population is not considered when grading the quality of life of a town/area. And Conway's congestion is a very bad thing. Why would I want to sit in traffic for 2+ hours to go to work EVERY DAY???? So much for enjoying "all the activities Little Rock has to offer" and "all the symposiums, lectures, and festivals everyday" with my family. It'll be spent moving 5 miles an hour listening to talk radio. That is my definition of Hell.

I'd take El Dorado over that any day of the week.
actually

Dallas, TX

#19 May 14, 2013
Jackie wrote:
The real question is so what, who cares ? You could take any city in this country and find people who like it and people who don't. So what's the point of your original post? To knock others down?
Agreed. The most intelligent post on this forum.
Opinion

El Dorado, AR

#20 May 14, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, I can tell you didn't attend Conway. I referred to college enrollment, not some study done based off of student test scores. Yeah, we have the "the Promise to pay for it, blah, blah, blah..." But El Dorado still has more seniors enroll in college EVERY YEAR than Conway does. That is a fact you can't ignore. Colleges and Universities are not concerned about getting the best and the brightest. They are service institutions, collecting tuition and scholarships to pay salaries and maintenance. But more El Dorado seniors enrolling every year provides more opportunities for our youth. And a low drop-out rate is a good thing, dumbass.
Also, El Dorado has festivals and lectures going on all the time, even with one community college as compared to 3 colleges. SACC gets involved within our local businesses, providing educational focuses to meet needs. They just don't push through Psychology and Communication majors.
Some people don't like mountains. So, if you do, that's your perogative. Move there! El Dorado and its lack of mountains seems more attractive. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Conway growing is also a bad thing. If you had any educational background in community.development, you'd understand that population is not considered when grading the quality of life of a town/area. And Conway's congestion is a very bad thing. Why would I want to sit in traffic for 2+ hours to go to work EVERY DAY???? So much for enjoying "all the activities Little Rock has to offer" and "all the symposiums, lectures, and festivals everyday" with my family. It'll be spent moving 5 miles an hour listening to talk radio. That is my definition of Hell.
I'd take El Dorado over that any day of the week.
Your comment about how colleges don't want the best and brightest, they just want enrollment? Hilarious! You will say anything to make El Dorado something its not. The Promise caused high college enrollment and thats great. I'm happy for our kids. But colleges want the best and brightest first, then the rest. You are kidding yourself if you think colleges don't want smart, well educated kids over dumber ones. There are plenty of bright kids from EHS, but the fact that EHS is ranked so horribly low in education says something.

And that isn’t just “some study done”, you poor pitiful fool. Those are the official measures for academic ability used across the entire nation!

And you're really going to sit there and pretend like one little community college has more symposiums, conferences and guest lectures than UCA (a university with 10,000 plus students), Hendrix (arguably the best private University in the state) and a third University added to those? Really? How do you pull this shit out of your ass and actually believe yourself?

"Colleges and Universities are not concerned about getting the best and the brightest." Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Omg that is just too funny. Tell that to Hendrix, University of Texas, Harvard, Brown, LSU or even UofA. They don't let you in "just because". The best schools have requirements their applicants have to meet. There are these things called ACTs and SATs, in case you didn't know. The SAAC and SAU may take anyone they can get, but the better universities want the best students they can acquire. You are so absurd with your desperate attempts at a defense that its funny. Like literally, I'm laughing right now.
Opinion

El Dorado, AR

#21 May 14, 2013
i dont get it wrote:
<quoted text> To me, loving your new town is the opposite of miserable. This guy calls anyone who points out El Dorado's faults "pessimistic". Personally, I've never seen someone rave about their love for Texas so much in my life. That original poster is quite the optimistic patriot, actually. And I didn't know that guy was the Topix stalker. He REALLY doesn't have the right to call anyone miserable.
No effing kidding!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
earl smith 1 hr you already know 3
bust on college 1 hr Maybe 6
laiken miller (Jul '14) 2 hr someone 7
Chubby pretty chicks that are willing and ready 2 hr bbw chasr 1
Prettiest girls in Union County. 2 hr bring her back 65
computer thugs 3 hr Azzhole 47
Anybody ever tried to get custody back from dhs? (Aug '11) 3 hr Hills 74
More from around the web

El Dorado People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE