“They give you this...”

Since: Sep 12

...but you paid for that..

#2 Oct 31, 2012
I've wonderd the same thing.
Hmmm

El Dorado, AR

#3 Oct 31, 2012
So News-Times employees shouldn't have opinions on where his tax money is going?
Really

El Dorado, AR

#4 Oct 31, 2012
Tim, is that you again?
Haha

El Dorado, AR

#5 Oct 31, 2012
Are you talking about the Tim Kessler guy that was fired for so many screw ups? Didn't Kevin Sims replace him? No wonder he is bitter towards him.
right track

United States

#7 Oct 31, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
So News-Times employees shouldn't have opinions on where his tax money is going?
No, because they don't have an education nor experience with the use of tax money. They have Journalism degrees.
Haha

El Dorado, AR

#8 Oct 31, 2012
right track wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because they don't have an education nor experience with the use of tax money. They have Journalism degrees.
So no one without an accounting degree should complain about anything regarding taxes?
Haha

El Dorado, AR

#9 Oct 31, 2012
Unless you have a medical degree I'm guessing you shouldn't have an opinion on obamacare.
typical

United States

#10 Nov 1, 2012
Not publicly complain through a media outlet. Just like the expert opinion on Obamacare SHOULD be given by a health professional. Public complaining is not journalism. We need professionals speaking on such matters, and the media should focus on positive aspects of our town. The current performance of the News Times is part of the problem as to why people are disfavorable of El Dorado.
Sorry

El Dorado, AR

#11 Nov 1, 2012
typical wrote:
Not publicly complain through a media outlet. Just like the expert opinion on Obamacare SHOULD be given by a health professional. Public complaining is not journalism. We need professionals speaking on such matters, and the media should focus on positive aspects of our town. The current performance of the News Times is part of the problem as to why people are disfavorable of El Dorado.
But no. If he had argued on the News-Times Facebook page I might agree with you, but this post was on his personal Facebook page. It's incredibly naive of you to think reporters must be reporters all the time, that in their spare time they're not slowed to have an opinion. That belief is akin to the belief we all had when we were children that teachers had no lives and stayed at their desk overnight until we came back in the classroom. A reporter's life is no different. He expressed an opinion an it was well-articulated, rather than the memes and other junk other professionals (doctors, lawyers, restauranteers, etc.) post on Facebook. Are you really saying only because he's a reporter he should not be allowed to express his personal opinion on his personal Facebook, which is locked to the public anyway? It says on there Kevin Sims, it doesn't say Kevin "News-Times reporter" Sims. If you add him you know what you're getting: a real human being.
country

El Dorado, AR

#12 Nov 1, 2012
Is Lauren Martin-entertainment writer- still working for the news-times?
Really now

El Dorado, AR

#13 Nov 1, 2012
Sorry wrote:
<quoted text> But no. If he had argued on the News-Times Facebook page I might agree with you, but this post was on his personal Facebook page. It's incredibly naive of you to think reporters must be reporters all the time, that in their spare time they're not slowed to have an opinion. That belief is akin to the belief we all had when we were children that teachers had no lives and stayed at their desk overnight until we came back in the classroom. A reporter's life is no different. He expressed an opinion an it was well-articulated, rather than the memes and other junk other professionals (doctors, lawyers, restauranteers, etc.) post on Facebook. Are you really saying only because he's a reporter he should not be allowed to express his personal opinion on his personal Facebook, which is locked to the public anyway? It says on there Kevin Sims, it doesn't say Kevin "News-Times reporter" Sims. If you add him you know what you're getting: a real human being.
It actually WASN'T well-articulated. He said that the city was going to raise $50 million in taxes to pay for this new initiative, which is not true.$40 million of that will be from private sources, and the other $10 million will come from a tax that was passed five years ago. Then he accused the EDB members of being on drugs. While I agree that he has the right to say whatever he wants, don't defend the professionalism of his comments. They were childish and arrogant, and most importantly wrong.
Kevin

El Dorado, AR

#14 Nov 1, 2012
Really now wrote:
<quoted text>
It actually WASN'T well-articulated. He said that the city was going to raise $50 million in taxes to pay for this new initiative, which is not true.$40 million of that will be from private sources, and the other $10 million will come from a tax that was passed five years ago. Then he accused the EDB members of being on drugs. While I agree that he has the right to say whatever he wants, don't defend the professionalism of his comments. They were childish and arrogant, and most importantly wrong.
Since you are obviously someone who knows me enough to be on my facebook page, why not tell me your name. You don't have to say it on Topix, just shoot me a PM and we can discuss this personally. Or are you embarrassed by your own opinion about me?
Sorry

El Dorado, AR

#15 Nov 1, 2012
Really now wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do his comments have to be professional? It's not a professional Facebook page. It's a personal one. He didn't write, "As a News-Times reporter, I think this..."
typical

United States

#16 Nov 1, 2012
Sorry wrote:
<quoted text> But no. If he had argued on the News-Times Facebook page I might agree with you, but this post was on his personal Facebook page. It's incredibly naive of you to think reporters must be reporters all the time, that in their spare time they're not slowed to have an opinion. That belief is akin to the belief we all had when we were children that teachers had no lives and stayed at their desk overnight until we came back in the classroom. A reporter's life is no different. He expressed an opinion an it was well-articulated, rather than the memes and other junk other professionals (doctors, lawyers, restauranteers, etc.) post on Facebook. Are you really saying only because he's a reporter he should not be allowed to express his personal opinion on his personal Facebook, which is locked to the public anyway? It says on there Kevin Sims, it doesn't say Kevin "News-Times reporter" Sims. If you add him you know what you're getting: a real human being.
So, he shouldn't be held accountable for his actions after 5 pm???? How naive are you!!!! Any professional will tell you that you mist carry yourself respectfully in public, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. His ignorance he displays on his Facebook page is a direct reflection not only on himself, but his profession and employer, as well. I take it you do jot work as such, as you clearly do not understand such a responsibility.
typical

United States

#17 Nov 1, 2012
Sorry wrote:
<quoted text> Why do his comments have to be professional? It's not a professional Facebook page. It's a personal one. He didn't write, "As a News-Times reporter, I think this..."
Collegiate athletes are banned from Twitter and Facebook posts that are derogatory and disrespectful to the team and/or sport. To say someone that is paid by a public media entity should not be held accountable to the same adult-demeanor is misinformed and absurd.

The fact that he is able to keep his job after such an ignorant, childish post (regardless personal or not) is a blessing he should not take lightly. After this fiasco, ur must be on thin ice. Or so rumors have it.
Sorry

El Dorado, AR

#18 Nov 1, 2012
typical wrote:
<quoted text>
Collegiate athletes are banned from Twitter and Facebook posts that are derogatory and disrespectful to the team and/or sport. To say someone that is paid by a public media entity should not be held accountable to the same adult-demeanor is misinformed and absurd.
The fact that he is able to keep his job after such an ignorant, childish post (regardless personal or not) is a blessing he should not take lightly. After this fiasco, ur must be on thin ice. Or so rumors have it.
There was nothing derogatory about the post. He expressed an opinion. Just because you disagree with the opinion doesn't mean he's not allowed to express it.
typical

United States

#19 Nov 1, 2012
Sorry wrote:
<quoted text> There was nothing derogatory about the post. He expressed an opinion. Just because you disagree with the opinion doesn't mean he's not allowed to express it.
Did you not even read the post? He was derogatory to the EEDB and city officials. It's not the opinion; its the childish way he stated it.

Now, his employer has a right to fire him for expressing any form of a controversial opinion. So yeah, THAT DOES MEAN HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO EXPRESS IT.
Kevin

El Dorado, AR

#20 Nov 1, 2012
typical wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm popular enough that can say something on my personal facebook page and people like you take time out of their "busy" life to discuss it on Topix like I'm a freaking celebrity. I have been in El Dorado for less than a year and people I don't know talk about me. How long you been here, bro? Who thinks you're important enough to talk about?

I'm selling papers. That's my job. Agree with me or don't. Like it or don't. If you're reading it, I'm doing my job. The only thin ice I'm on is not figuring out a way to charge for my facebook rants.

As you are obviously someone that randomly added me on facebook that I've probably never met in person, how about you message me and we can go have a beer and discuss things. Scared? I promise to be civil.
typical

United States

#21 Nov 1, 2012
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm popular enough that can say something on my personal facebook page and people like you take time out of their "busy" life to discuss it on Topix like I'm a freaking celebrity. I have been in El Dorado for less than a year and people I don't know talk about me. How long you been here, bro? Who thinks you're important enough to talk about?
I'm selling papers. That's my job. Agree with me or don't. Like it or don't. If you're reading it, I'm doing my job. The only thin ice I'm on is not figuring out a way to charge for my facebook rants.
As you are obviously someone that randomly added me on facebook that I've probably never met in person, how about you message me and we can go have a beer and discuss things. Scared? I promise to be civil.
Boy, people don't talk negatively about me because I'm not part of the problem. You are. You're not important enough to talk about. However, I've got the time it takes to shut your ignorant comments down.

YOU don't sell papers. They were selling long before YOU got here. Now, they're just selling alot less. THAT is thin thin ice your lardass is on.

I don't want to be seen with the likes of you anywhere. I have made my point. Now, you have some soul searching to do. Be positive in your job about our area officials, or we will continue to make a point to return the favor.
Fred G

Bryant, AR

#23 Nov 1, 2012
typical wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, people don't talk negatively about me because I'm not part of the problem. You are. You're not important enough to talk about. However, I've got the time it takes to shut your ignorant comments down.
YOU don't sell papers. They were selling long before YOU got here. Now, they're just selling alot less. THAT is thin thin ice your lardass is on.
I don't want to be seen with the likes of you anywhere. I have made my point. Now, you have some soul searching to do. Be positive in your job about our area officials, or we will continue to make a point to return the favor.
Wow, you are such a little COWARD and a total LOSER. The only point you've made is that you have no balls. You don't have any friends to brag to that you've stood up to the News-Times; all this proves in your mind is that maybe you're not a total waste of space after all. There will be no staff or policy changes at the News-Times because of anything you do. The world will go on as it has, happy that it doesn't know "typical" exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great news 3 hr ron 31
2fifty2 girl gets ran over in the square 5 hr idek 29
the watsons in smackover arkansas 15 hr miss 411 1
Amercable 18 hr 1234xyz 13
Timberlane McDonald's Still Worst in Town (Jun '14) Fri abe 34
Skylar Moreno (Dec '11) Fri rebal4-life_short... 70
Ashley Nicole (Nov '12) Fri Wow 28
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages