El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

The other day Mr. Barrow gave a civic club talk and was covered by a newspaper reporter. Several interesting points were made including closing off streets to accommodate this venture. In addition a police substation would be added along with public restrooms to go along with a $25 million dollar rework of the Rialto Theater. He said that the theater could accommodate 800 people. there will also be a farmers market along with an amphitheater.
My questions are as follows:
1. Why is a police substation needed when this area is only blocks from the Police department. Are we expecting lots of trouble in this area?
2. Public restrooms will be subject to vandalism just as the bathrooms in the parks were ruined by vandals and misfits. Why not redo the restrooms in the Court House which is the center of downtown.
3. Where will you find ample and convenient parking for 800 people- Putting up structures and closing streets only reduces available parking. The economics of the conference center has been damaged due to the lack of parking. As many have said here and there--- limit parking and you limit customers---.

For fairness to Mr. Barrow perhaps he answered the questions above and the newspaper just didn't comment. To calm peoples anxiety Mr. Barrow should answer these questions in his next outing.

well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

They can park where the conference center is 'easily handling' 800 people and walk over.
for real

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

maybe it is just me but the conference center does not look like t will hold 800 cars. What do you do when there is a function at both? Restrooms in courthouse are not available when courthouse is closed so not viable for use by evening visitors to theatre. I think it is a good idea to have nice place for concerts, shows, and other entertainment venues. My question is why doesn't the city get behind him on this and really get it done and use it for main street fundraising performances and fix up auditorium for other area businesses to promote performers and shows to make money to fix up all of town. Think El Dorado needs to focus on whole town not just little downtown area as people are not going to come to downtown if they can not drive and stay in nice areas.
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

They can park people at the old County Market lot and shuttle them over on the trolley.
Will

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

How inconvenient and expensive is this---
actually

Hamburg, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

for real wrote:
maybe it is just me but the conference center does not look like t will hold 800 cars. What do you do when there is a function at both? Restrooms in courthouse are not available when courthouse is closed so not viable for use by evening visitors to theatre. I think it is a good idea to have nice place for concerts, shows, and other entertainment venues. My question is why doesn't the city get behind him on this and really get it done and use it for main street fundraising performances and fix up auditorium for other area businesses to promote performers and shows to make money to fix up all of town. Think El Dorado needs to focus on whole town not just little downtown area as people are not going to come to downtown if they can not drive and stay in nice areas.
Well, it has accpmodated over 800 people for at least two separate occassions. I don't think anyone referred to cars, as some people have friends and family. Not everyone is lonely like you.
gooberman

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Come on folks, let the trash talking begin.
Samantha

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

You might remember they are trying to fit a hotel in that small area also. I hope this doesn't turn out as screwed up as Obamacare. For all this to happen you need acreage not these small lots
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

They could build the hotel as the upper stories of some building that's already there. They still have to find parking, though.
Duhh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Conference center wasted tons of space with the layout of parking and landscape.
actually

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

There is ample parking already available for the conference center.
well

Glencoe, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Keep repeating that to convince yourself that that's true. The rest of us have moved on to the downtown entertainmkent area.
Duhh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

Ample parking? Where at brookshires?
good

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Judged:

Why doesn't the conference center use the back part and turn into more parking instead of green grass with a big slope?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

That big slope may be what's keeping it from sliding onto S. Washington Street while the architects are still liable.
Parking garage

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

There is a parking garage in the plans.
actually

Benton, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Duhh wrote:
Ample parking? Where at brookshires?
All around the conference center.
actually

Benton, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

well wrote:
Keep repeating that to convince yourself that that's true. The rest of us have moved on to the downtown entertainmkent area.
It is true. The rest of "you," just you under different names, are still lying about lack of parking around the conference center, when there's actual proof that the conference center has accommodated more than 700 people at multiple events.
typical

Benton, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Grigori wrote:
That big slope may be what's keeping it from sliding onto S. Washington Street while the architects are still liable.
Ignorance is bliss.
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Accommodating 'people' and accommodating 'cars' are different things. When the 'people' are from out of town, and for lots of 'people' here, they will want to accommodate their 'cars' there, not blocks away or on someone else's property. Keep repeating your mantra until you believe it if it makes you feel better. Those who actually want to park there should be able to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the El Dorado Forum right now

Search the El Dorado Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lots of Ugly Guys in Eldo 48 min moo 2
Ashley Scroggs Brummett 2 hr Name 23
looking for a good looking woman for a road trip 2 hr dudecalmdown 5
guys with little ones keep reporting 2 hr shortshortman 27
Municipal Auditorium- El Dorado 2 hr Pay attention 13
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 hr Speller feller 28,959
dumb a meth heads (Dec '12) 2 hr curious wall 18
Green Mystery Liquid In Creek 4 hr Huh 10
•••