More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 20 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Atlanta, GA

#10332 Nov 22, 2013
leave the birds alone

Harrison, AR

#10334 Nov 22, 2013
Taxahontas wrote:
<quoted text>You logic is flawed. There wouldn't have been any path of killed birds. Ok suppose several large gas clouds escape from that well 10 miles away. when it first escape,s it floats very high. higher than the nearby trees. Now suppose just one cloud of gas As it cools it decends and floats into the very top branches of the trees where the blackbirds roost. The very topmost roosting birds become gassed. they fall downward striking limbs and spooking the remainder. of course they fly upwards into the cloud of gas and they become gassed disoriented and become dizzy and crash into the ground. And since birds of a feather flock together that is why it was almost all blackbirds. And now at the very same time some of the escaping gas on the way up finds its way into a underground stream. Instead of continuing up to the surface it follows the stream. the stream carried the gas along until it bubbled up on the bottom of the Arkansas river killing the drum fish. mostly drum because they are bottom feeders. Its a plausible explanation. more plausible than fireworks. you state the rig near your house was capped. What would happen if it wasn't capped? Fractures in the earth aren't capped. fracking is exactly what the name implies. Its fracturing the bedrock to let gas escape. Hopefully it will escape to the drilled well. However that isn't always the case. Many times the gas will take another path. There are places in Texas where the fracking caused gas to excape into the water aquifer. They turn on the faucet and can light it on fire. maybe sometime in the future you will have the same problems?
I think some of your logic is flawed. Gas does not float high, I've been told by my gas company to put my gas detector low to the floor because gas lays close to the floor and if we put them up high, you can die before it reaches up high. And the the day they capped the rig next to me, it was not high at all, for about 10 min the odor was very strong, the dog didn't like it at all, but all birds in tact. And if the drum fish were bottom feeders and it was gas, why didn't it kill the catfish? They are bottom feeders, I don't see where gas can kill only a certain type of fish or bird for that matter. And since it happened again the next new years eve on the birds, do the gas riggs only release gas on new years?
Gas Land

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10335 Nov 22, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I think some of your logic is flawed. Gas does not float high, I've been told by my gas company to put my gas detector low to the floor because gas lays close to the floor and if we put them up high, you can die before it reaches up high. And the the day they capped the rig next to me, it was not high at all, for about 10 min the odor was very strong, the dog didn't like it at all, but all birds in tact. And if the drum fish were bottom feeders and it was gas, why didn't it kill the catfish? They are bottom feeders, I don't see where gas can kill only a certain type of fish or bird for that matter. And since it happened again the next new years eve on the birds, do the gas riggs only release gas on new years?
Gas does indeed rise. That is why a party balloon filled with gas floats. that is why the canary in the coal mine was placed near the celing. Methane floats until it cools or dissipates. A catfish can live in water where no other fish could live. take a drum out of the water and it will die in minutes. a catfish can live out of water for several hours. and it only happened on news years the one time. You must have a vested interest in the gas industry?

Greenbrier, AR

#10336 Nov 22, 2013
Gas Land wrote:
<quoted text> Gas does indeed rise. That is why a party balloon filled with gas floats. that is why the canary in the coal mine was placed near the celing. Methane floats until it cools or dissipates. A catfish can live in water where no other fish could live. take a drum out of the water and it will die in minutes. a catfish can live out of water for several hours. and it only happened on news years the one time. You must have a vested interest in the gas industry?
That's where you are wrong, it happened the next new years also, I'm from Beebe. http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/01/us/arkansas-bir...

And no, I don't have a vested interest in gas industry, just know what a crazy idea it is that gas traveled 10 miles and dropped on a town, 2 times on New years and killed the birds. You must be someone that didn't get gas rights, and is mad about it.

Vilonia, AR

#10337 Nov 22, 2013
Also, on gas density, Helium balloons rise, Hydrogen balloons do not, natural gas rise and falls depends on temp. If it is hot outside it will rise, if it is cold outside it will drop. New Years it was cold.
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10338 Nov 22, 2013
Guest wrote:
Also, on gas density, Helium balloons rise, Hydrogen balloons do not, natural gas rise and falls depends on temp. If it is hot outside it will rise, if it is cold outside it will drop. New Years it was cold.
Hydrogen and helium are the most commonly used lift gases. Although helium is twice as heavy as (diatomic) hydrogen, they are both so much lighter than air that this difference is inconsequential. Hydrogen has about 8% more buoyancy than helium.[1]

In a practical dirigible design the difference is significant, making a 50% difference in the fuel carrying capacity of the dirigible and hence increasing its range significantly.[2]...

Helium has an advantage, however, in that combustion is impossible, whereas hydrogen is extremely flammable.(Wikipedia?) Why would a hydrogen balloon not rise? Derp much?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10339 Nov 22, 2013
stop-em wrote:
<quoted text>Hydrogen and helium are the most commonly used lift gases. Although helium is twice as heavy as (diatomic) hydrogen, they are both so much lighter than air that this difference is inconsequential. Hydrogen has about 8% more buoyancy than helium.[1]
In a practical dirigible design the difference is significant, making a 50% difference in the fuel carrying capacity of the dirigible and hence increasing its range significantly.[2]...
Helium has an advantage, however, in that combustion is impossible, whereas hydrogen is extremely flammable.(Wikipedia?) Why would a hydrogen balloon not rise? Derp much?
Yes, but what color are they?
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10340 Nov 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but what color are they?
Put it this way...their color don't run and never f'in will either, unlike you?
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10341 Nov 22, 2013
Why does worrier SCREAM his name? Makes him bigger than life maybe?
Aryan Barbarian

United States

#10342 Nov 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>It's libs like you who get people killed. Slamming on your breaks can cause a bad chain reaction for those behind you over nothing but an animal.
I just returned from a deer hunt where we took 3 mule deer, 3 turkey and 7 coyotes all in 5 days. I call that successful.
Yhea and Warrior killed them all with 00 buck Remington 870. If you believe that I got some ocean front property in Tularosa via la rosie.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10343 Nov 22, 2013
Aryan Barbarian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yhea and Warrior killed them all with 00 buck Remington 870. If you believe that I got some ocean front property in Tularosa via la rosie.
Viva la Rosie!

Since: Apr 13

Knox, PA

#10345 Nov 23, 2013
DO YOU LIKE TO READ THE NEWS??
How about getting paid to read the news? Its totally free to sign up! All you have to enter is an email address and set up a password. No credit card,(most everything else you see on here does) Like I said, its free so what do you have to lose???
Each article you read, you get $2-$5.(This adds up pretty fast) Also there are other ways to make more money.
Click here http://circumnews.com/p84282 and start earning extra income today.
watson

San Francisco, CA

#10346 Nov 24, 2013
Can't stand the news, reading it, or making money if there is work involved!
I do like my government checks, my free cell phone, and my stories on my tv!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10347 Nov 24, 2013
watson wrote:
Can't stand the news, reading it, or making money if there is work involved!
I do like my government checks, my free cell phone, and my stories on my tv!
Don't forget all of that bling!
abc

Ashburn, VA

#10348 Nov 25, 2013
if girls want the frendship....or fun somthing,,, like making new frends.., I m from India, ,, would you like to talk indian fraind,,, and wanna mke fraindship...than addd me on whatsaap pllzzzzz guyes and girl,,,,I like new frandzzzzzz my nu is 08802658452
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10349 Nov 25, 2013
abc wrote:
if girls want the frendship....or fun somthing,,, like making new frends.., I m from India,,, would you like to talk indian fraind,,, and wanna mke fraindship...than addd me on whatsaap pllzzzzz guyes and girl,,,,I like new frandzzzzzz my nu is 08802658452
Sure, post your phone number and credit card and bank account numbers and I will get right back to you sweetie. I can't wait..
mark

Rowley Regis, UK

#10350 Nov 25, 2013
dfdsxa
artiola

London, UK

#10351 Nov 25, 2013
Watch my illuminati video on youtube ... Here's the link .. Thank you ? http://m.youtube.com/watch...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10352 Nov 25, 2013
artiola wrote:
Watch my illuminati video on youtube ... Here's the link .. Thank you ? http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Do you get naked?
thabo

Europe

#10353 Nov 25, 2013
Did you know about this? http://Paidbounty.Com/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joann Davis snapped 55 min the real me 21
shooting in calion 3 hr joann needs help 20
Whats up walmart closing numerous stores 3 hr truth 37
Divorce 3 hr pissed 16
Jessica Knight/ Jason Knight 3 hr colderweather 9
Campers behind T-Model's? 4 hr roboblogger2 1
Where is the best place to Dine out in this town? 9 hr OMG 20
More from around the web

El Dorado People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE