More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10182 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10292 Nov 11, 2013
Fact Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that bad? It SUCKS! I can barely understand anything you say. Maybe you type with a salami sandwich in your mouth, maybe you type while your boyfriend is pounding you from behind or maybe you are just another stupid foreigner but whatever it is you should really fix it!
You the type who when you don't like or disagree with the posters opinion and have no valid rebuttal or facts you resort to attacking the person or his spelling. pretty lame.
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10293 Nov 11, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
November 11, 2013 – CENTRAL AMERICA – Hundreds of sea turtles are washing up dead on the beaches of Central America and scientists don’t know why. One hypothesis is that the killer is a potent neurotoxin that can be produced by algae during red tides, which are large accumulations of algae that turn sea water red or brown. The puzzling thing, though, is that red tides have come and gone before without taking such a deadly toll on turtles. Making things worse, some o f the turtles dying are from endangered species. In El Salvador, for instance, from late September to the middle of October, 114 sea turtles were discovered dead on Pacific coast beaches, according to the environment ministry. They were black turtles (Chelonia agassizii), Olive Ridley turtles (Lepidochelys olivacea) and ones that are a cross between the two. Scientists throughout Central America are alarmed, and the only laboratory that specializes in these creatures is taking tissue and organ samples to figure out what is going on. The death toll in other countries is just as ugly — 115 so far this year in Guatemala, 280 in Costa Rica and an undisclosed number in Nicaragua. Another 200 died in late 2012 in Panama. And in Nicaragua there is yet another problem: turtles showed up weeks late, at the end of September, to crawl up onto the beach and lay their eggs.
maybe firecrackers scared the turtles and they crashed and died?
OlPapaw

United States

#10294 Nov 12, 2013
Fact Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that bad? It SUCKS! I can barely understand anything you say. Maybe you type with a salami sandwich in your mouth, maybe you type while your boyfriend is pounding you from behind or maybe you are just another stupid foreigner but whatever it is you should really fix it!
Brilliant post! Goes to the intellectual core of Topix. The hidden desire to engage in homo-erotic behaviour, being taken by your lover at the typewriter.
Try Craigslist to find your fantasy!
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10295 Nov 14, 2013
I went deer hunting today. Never seen hide or hair of any deer. However a feral Black housecat was creeping along the fence row. I shot him in the rear with 12 guage 00 buckshot. from twenty feet away. Tore it up so bad I couldn't even tell what sex it was. So the time wasn't wasted!
OlPapaw

United States

#10296 Nov 14, 2013
Ah, cat, the other white meat.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10297 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> The effect of fracking isn't immediate. Fracking opens fissures in the underlying shale. This releases to sequestered gases. the gases find their way into underground streams and emerge in the springs at the river bottom. some gases excape and make it into the air. those birds came into contact with one of those airborne clouds of gas. likely drifted into the roost. When the first birds near the tree tops where effected they fell disoriented & gassed into the linbs below. This spooked the entire roosting flock. Which then flew upwards into the floating cloud of gas. There are world wide bird and fish & mammall die offs occurring lately. check out the extinction protocol website for more info. The current spate of earthquake activity is releasing a lot of sequestered gasses worldwide.
Sounds like a good Orson Welles doomsday flick.

Of all the different birds species in AR, why was it only "blackbirds" that succumbed to that "gas cloud in the trees?"

Necropsies on the birds showed blunt trauma as cause of death. There were no reports of gases, toxins, or chemicals in their blood....that I am aware of.

Try again.

SE Michigan

#10298 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Ok Raptor do ya think that fireworks where also responsible for the 2000 dead birds in Chile? My opinion of the cause is a rational down to earth common sense conclusion. Only gassed or drugged birds and animals crash into things. even in the dark when they have the bejabbers frightened out of them they still don't crash into things.
Sounds like some ignorant, self-centered fishermen were responsible for the deaths in Chile. Why would I think fireworks had anything to do with those deaths when the article clearly states why they died?

"even in the dark when they have the bejabbers frightened out of them they still don't crash into things."
Really? You never seen a hawk come out of nowhere and a scare a little bird to the point of frantic flight right into a window, or wall?

We had a humingbird chased right into the side of our motorhome once. Chased by another hummingbird.

SE Michigan

#10299 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Transalation I don't have any valid rebuttal argument or any hard facts. so ill just for the moment call you names.
I ALWAYS have a valid rebuttal argument. You should know that by now. Just had other, more important things to do.

SE Michigan

#10300 Nov 15, 2013
Fact Check wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO!!!! That's funny, but in Curms defense, I can understand what he writes. I've seen MUCH worse.

SE Michigan

#10301 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> maybe firecrackers scared the turtles and they crashed and died?
Don't know. They are still studying it. For all anyone knows, maybe its a common occurance that things die at sea. Sometimes they get washed up on shore; other times they are taken by predators before they reach the shore. Maybe the currents deposit them in a different section of beach in other years. Maybe they were only noticed now because more people are there to find them. Maybe some idiot fisherman killed them and threw them on shore. Maybe a gas cloud dropped into the water and killed a few. And when those few died, the others got spooked and swam into the same gas cloud.

SE Michigan

#10302 Nov 15, 2013
OlPapaw wrote:
Ah, cat, the other white meat.
I think he said it was black!

SE Michigan

#10303 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
I went deer hunting today. Never seen hide or hair of any deer. However a feral Black housecat was creeping along the fence row. I shot him in the rear with 12 guage 00 buckshot. from twenty feet away. Tore it up so bad I couldn't even tell what sex it was. So the time wasn't wasted!
I had a feral cat run out in front of me today. At first I thought it was a raccoon, so my normal instinct was to slam on my brakes. I missed it, but it's just a matter of time, and someone will run it over. With winter coming, I'm sure it will hang out by the road trying to get mice or juncos.
Sweet Tea

Stuttgart, AR

#10304 Nov 15, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Transalation I don't have any valid rebuttal argument or any hard facts. so ill just for the moment call you names.
I have read this over and over to see what I missed, but I still do not see where he called you any names??
Sweet Tea

Stuttgart, AR

#10305 Nov 15, 2013
OlPapaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant post! Goes to the intellectual core of Topix. The hidden desire to engage in homo-erotic behaviour, being taken by your lover at the typewriter.
Try Craigslist to find your fantasy!
Thank you.....it always seems that no matter the topic, somebody with a sick mind wants to turn it to something sick-sexual or racist. As many times as I have seen this post, I have never gotten on it, but decided to give it a look see because I was sick and tired of the other crap. It would be nice if people would just stick to the subject and if they want to talk the crap, like you said, go to Craigslist.
Sweet Tea

Stuttgart, AR

#10306 Nov 15, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO!!!! That's funny, but in Curms defense, I can understand what he writes. I've seen MUCH worse.
Same thing as I was thinking. I have no problems reading what he writes. Absolutely clear to me.

SE Michigan

#10307 Nov 15, 2013
Sweet Tea wrote:
<quoted text>I have read this over and over to see what I missed, but I still do not see where he called you any names??
That's what Curm says when he knows I'm right. This way instead of correcting him in his misguided philosophy, he thinks I'll spend the time denying the name-calling claim.

SE Michigan

#10308 Nov 15, 2013
Sweet Tea wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you.....it always seems that no matter the topic, somebody with a sick mind wants to turn it to something sick-sexual or racist. As many times as I have seen this post, I have never gotten on it, but decided to give it a look see because I was sick and tired of the other crap. It would be nice if people would just stick to the subject and if they want to talk the crap, like you said, go to Craigslist.
Welcome to the thread Sweet Tea. As much as we sometimes disagree here, I think we have a basic understanding of where we are all coming from and actually kinda like each other.:)
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10309 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Sounds like a good Orson Welles doomsday flick.
Of all the different birds species in AR, why was it only "blackbirds" that succumbed to that "gas cloud in the trees?"
Necropsies on the birds showed blunt trauma as cause of death. There were no reports of gases, toxins, or chemicals in their blood....that I am aware of.
Try again.
Actually There where a few other types of birds that died along with the blackbirds. The blunt trama was caused when the uncounsious gassed birds fell from the sky and hit the ground. Some eventually recovered and flew away. The birds would have to be exposed for a long period to absorb enough gas( Probably methane) in their blood. As far as I know they where never tested. It was simply a Knee jerk reaction explaination to blame fireworks. There is big money and political clout in the natural gas fracking industry. The folks in charge would never place any blame on the natural gas industry. thousands Drum fish which are bottom feeders Dies in the Arkansas river about 50 miles away at the same time. Did fireworks kill the fish?
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10310 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Don't know. They are still studying it. For all anyone knows, maybe its a common occurance that things die at sea. Sometimes they get washed up on shore; other times they are taken by predators before they reach the shore. Maybe the currents deposit them in a different section of beach in other years. Maybe they were only noticed now because more people are there to find them. Maybe some idiot fisherman killed them and threw them on shore. Maybe a gas cloud dropped into the water and killed a few. And when those few died, the others got spooked and swam into the same gas cloud.
a gas cloud in the water killing the turtles Is plausible. At present with all the earthquakes the planets crust is cracking, These cracks let sequestered gas escape to the surface. It can come up on land and float into the air and be carried on the wind. Or come up in water and follow streams & currents. Im certian The drum fish and bird die offs in Arkansas where caused by a gas. Fracking is done just for that very reason to make cracks in the crust for sequestered gas to follow into the wells. But things commonly go wrong and have bad side effects. Ive shot a 12 guage multiple times into black bird roosts in the dead of night on numerious occasions. And they all but a few that caught a bit if lead flew off into the night. And all we ever exterminated was a couple of dozen birds. It don't kill even a part of 1% of the thousands that try to roost in my cedar glade. All it does is discourage them from establishing a roost. They never became disoriented & crashed into anything.
Sweet Tea

Stuttgart, AR

#10311 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Welcome to the thread Sweet Tea. As much as we sometimes disagree here, I think we have a basic understanding of where we are all coming from and actually kinda like each other.:)
Oh, okay....I'm sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trisha Evans 14 min friend 7
Trump sweeps 5 states 51 min 1234xyz 29
Eldo/P.C./Smackover Studz. 1 hr Notreally 18
Explosion 4-14-16 2 hr your daddy 15
who is cindy nixon? 2 hr Denny 2
PC swingers bash 2 hr Weekend Pass 8
Smack over motel 2 hr Melissa 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages