More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10182 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10262 Nov 9, 2013
Lady wrote:
Why did they fall?
They didn't "fall." They were scared into frantic flight during the nighttime, when they can't see well, because of fireworks from an a**hole and could not see that they were flying into structures like homes, cars and even the ground.
blackbirdpie

United States

#10263 Nov 9, 2013
Are they still good to cook/eat after being killed by Phosgene like Wheeler said?
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10264 Nov 9, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Modern gun?" Does that mean you cannot use an older model?
We have a archery and muzzle loader seasons that start before the modern gun. You can use black powder old guns & archery during modern gun season if you so desire. however you cant use any gun that uses a cartridge or shotshell during archery or muzzle loading season. I have a 54 cal hawking muzzle loader but I haven't been hunting with it for many years. My eyesight aint what it used to be. So now I nail everything to the ground with a 12 guage 500 Mossberg. 00 buckshot at close range is devastating.
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10265 Nov 9, 2013
Lady wrote:
Why did they fall?
Likely a gas cloud of methane released from nearby fracking operations. The fracking was the likely culprit for the mass drum fish die that occurred at the same time in the Arkansas river. The fireworks theory isn't plausible. Ive blasted a shotgun into the roosting trees many times and was never successful enough to kill thousands of birds. Maybe get a dozen with each blast. The granarys place propane cannons to go off ever hour or so in a attempt to scare away blackbirds and that don't kill the pest.
bird watcher

San Antonio, TX

#10266 Nov 10, 2013
Where did they go

SE Michigan

#10271 Nov 10, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> We have a archery and muzzle loader seasons that start before the modern gun. You can use black powder old guns & archery during modern gun season if you so desire. however you cant use any gun that uses a cartridge or shotshell during archery or muzzle loading season. I have a 54 cal hawking muzzle loader but I haven't been hunting with it for many years. My eyesight aint what it used to be. So now I nail everything to the ground with a 12 guage 500 Mossberg. 00 buckshot at close range is devastating.
Sounds yummy.

SE Michigan

#10272 Nov 10, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Likely a gas cloud of methane released from nearby fracking operations. The fracking was the likely culprit for the mass drum fish die that occurred at the same time in the Arkansas river. The fireworks theory isn't plausible. Ive blasted a shotgun into the roosting trees many times and was never successful enough to kill thousands of birds. Maybe get a dozen with each blast. The granarys place propane cannons to go off ever hour or so in a attempt to scare away blackbirds and that don't kill the pest.
Fracking operations on New Years Eve?

SE Michigan

#10273 Nov 10, 2013
bird watcher wrote:
Where did they go
Down

SE Michigan

#10274 Nov 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know about your country but here where I live coyotes have decimated entire deer populations. Even our Game Wardens shoot coyotes on sight.
LMAO And how's all the coyote killing been working out for you? Populations being reduced? I didn't think so.
Hint: There are fewer coyotes in places where human interference in their family structure doesn't happen.

SE Michigan

#10275 Nov 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You are right on with this post! I am contrary to EVERY thing you say. That's what little boys do when they have a crush on a girl. That is what's going on here!
I thought so.

SE Michigan

#10277 Nov 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
I bought more cat food this morning.
What do you want; A freaking medal?

SE Michigan

#10278 Nov 10, 2013
Look at this beautiful Yellow-throated Warbler I found on You Tube.

One was visiting a bird feeder for peanut butter mixture here in MI a few years ago during the winter of all times! I was fortunate enough to be invited into the home to watch it come to the woman's feeder. They are very rare here and it made big news throughout the birding community. I bet Churm gets these on his property, especially if he's near water. I've seen them in Texas, but always along rivers and lakes.
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10279 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Fracking operations on New Years Eve?
The effect of fracking isn't immediate. Fracking opens fissures in the underlying shale. This releases to sequestered gases. the gases find their way into underground streams and emerge in the springs at the river bottom. some gases excape and make it into the air. those birds came into contact with one of those airborne clouds of gas. likely drifted into the roost. When the first birds near the tree tops where effected they fell disoriented & gassed into the linbs below. This spooked the entire roosting flock. Which then flew upwards into the floating cloud of gas. There are world wide bird and fish & mammall die offs occurring lately. check out the extinction protocol website for more info. The current spate of earthquake activity is releasing a lot of sequestered gasses worldwide.
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10280 Nov 10, 2013

Two thousand dead birds found along 6 km stretch of Chilean beach

Posted on May 12, 2012 by The Extinction Protocol

May 12, 2012 – CHILE – About 2,000 birds were found dead on beaches in central Chile, a natural history museum director said Friday, accusing fishermen of snagging them in their nets and letting them drown. CNN reports the number of dead birds could be as high as 2300.“It’s a horrible scene. They are spread across some six kilometers (four miles) of beach” around the coastal city of Santo Domingo, San Antonio natural history and archeology museum director Jose Luis Brito told UCV radio. Most of the birds are gray petrels, but there are also pelicans, gannets and Guanay cormorants. Brito accused fishermen of “doing nothing when birds get caught up in their nets, and leaving them to drown before throwing the bodies back into the sea.” The museum said it would file a complaint to police over the dead birds. About 100 bird carcasses were found on central beaches on Sunday. Thousands of dolphins and maritime birds, including many pelicans, have been found dead in neighboring Peru in recent weeks. Environmental groups blamed oil exploration work, but Peru’s deputy environment minister Gabriel Quijandria, disputed the claim and said warming waters, which disturbs food supplies, was a possible cause.–Physics
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10281 Nov 10, 2013
Ok Raptor do ya think that fireworks where also responsible for the 2000 dead birds in Chile? My opinion of the cause is a rational down to earth common sense conclusion. Only gassed or drugged birds and animals crash into things. even in the dark when they have the bejabbers frightened out of them they still don't crash into things.

SE Michigan

#10287 Nov 11, 2013
Good morning guys. I am busy at the moment, but I will give you the pleasure of a reply to your hilarious and ridiculous posts in a bit.
curmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10288 Nov 11, 2013
Good morning guys. I am busy at the moment, but I will give you the pleasure of a reply to your hilarious and ridiculous posts in a bit.
Transalation I don't have any valid rebuttal argument or any hard facts. so ill just for the moment call you names.
OlPapaw

United States

#10289 Nov 11, 2013
I like her
Fact Check

Maumelle, AR

#10290 Nov 11, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Transalation I don't have any valid rebuttal argument or any hard facts. so ill just for the moment call you names.
Isn't that bad? It SUCKS! I can barely understand anything you say. Maybe you type with a salami sandwich in your mouth, maybe you type while your boyfriend is pounding you from behind or maybe you are just another stupid foreigner but whatever it is you should really fix it!
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10291 Nov 11, 2013
November 11, 2013 – CENTRAL AMERICA – Hundreds of sea turtles are washing up dead on the beaches of Central America and scientists don’t know why. One hypothesis is that the killer is a potent neurotoxin that can be produced by algae during red tides, which are large accumulations of algae that turn sea water red or brown. The puzzling thing, though, is that red tides have come and gone before without taking such a deadly toll on turtles. Making things worse, some o f the turtles dying are from endangered species. In El Salvador, for instance, from late September to the middle of October, 114 sea turtles were discovered dead on Pacific coast beaches, according to the environment ministry. They were black turtles (Chelonia agassizii), Olive Ridley turtles (Lepidochelys olivacea) and ones that are a cross between the two. Scientists throughout Central America are alarmed, and the only laboratory that specializes in these creatures is taking tissue and organ samples to figure out what is going on. The death toll in other countries is just as ugly — 115 so far this year in Guatemala, 280 in Costa Rica and an undisclosed number in Nicaragua. Another 200 died in late 2012 in Panama. And in Nicaragua there is yet another problem: turtles showed up weeks late, at the end of September, to crawl up onto the beach and lay their eggs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot Shots 42 min CountryClubber 77
best docs to work for in town! 1 hr Peter 18
Any ladies at EDC 4 hr I Know 3
Hillary Clinton 8 hr 1234xyz 23
Leeann 11 hr Hklj 5
Good Times Grill 14 hr Bugs 16
I blame Ucso 16 hr Well 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages