More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,153

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10067 Oct 23, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just idiotic talk! Ya know, God watches us and we do get paid back for our deeds.
You should Thank God we still have natual phenomenons like bird migrations to witness. Some day it could all be gone-most likely by the act of some ignorant human.
It gives me chills to see and hear massive flocks of blackbirds heading south (and north again in the spring). It takes me back to a time before humans interfered with nature. It's a truly awe-inspiring event.
The thought that some old fashioned, misguided farmer would want to destroy such beauty is beyond me. There is nothing as refreshing as waking up one late February morning here in the north and hearing that first blackbirds of the year as the days grow longer and ice melts and drips from my roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PTE0Cz188bwXX
Ever heard of a scarecrow? Owl decoys? There are other ways of keeping birds out of your fields. But then, with the amount of insects they eat, why would you want to keep them out?
I can show you owl decoys covered in black bird poop. Those birds are primarily seed eaters. They are here when the harvest is in full swing. And It has already frosted so there are very few insects. I want the ouail and turkey ect. to receive the benefit of the few remaining insects.

Since: Jun 13

Oklahoma City, OK

#10068 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I don't want to legislate moral or safe behavior. If you going 10 mph on the icy road and have a wreck you apparently where driving too fast for conditions. I owned and drove cars in the late sixties that would exceed 150 mph. I had a 70 Z28 Camaro that would run like a raped ape. Ive sold most of those old muscle cars. I still have my 55 chevy. 454 two fours four speed it can pull the front wheels four feet high on takeoff if I want. I used to street race it. Now I usually manage to make it to George Rays dragstrip at Paragould ar a few times per season. Its old & obsolete and not competitive any more. but It makes me happy. The things I did I should by all logic have died when very young. I never deny other folks the opportunity to enjoy life and take risk. all of life is a gamble. We have more than enough laws. The best government governs the least. My child was killed as a result of two drivers doing careless incorrect things at the same time. It could have been prevented it wasn't a accident. No laws could or would have changed the outcome.
My truck shuts off at 100.The last "Cash for Clunkers" destroyed a lot of classic cars.Just drives up the price.Gov ernment cannot control speed as long as hot rodders live! Good for you Curm, keep that chevy percolating

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10069 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>"IF" he would have called in sick that day it wouldn't have happened either. LMAO!
Just like a typical lib to blame the victim for the crime.

SE Michigan

#10070 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Of course it doesn't you being a lib and all!
I'm not a lib. I'm just smart enough to know that republicans aren't saints either. When you grow up, you'll understand.

SE Michigan

#10071 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Get a few of them for me so they don't get over my way..
Grow up.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10072 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Just like a typical lib to blame the victim for the crime.
No, I am playing your GAME the "IF" game. Libs always justify their actions with "IF" this and "IF" that. They never have proof, facts, base their decisions on what transpired right in front of them or use common sense.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10073 Oct 23, 2013
This is SWEET!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ul_fxYUgurgXX
This is also SWEET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

SE Michigan

#10074 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think it is illegal to shoot black birds. I thought you were all against hunting rules and regulations? Why would you want somebody to lose their FREEDOM from shooting these nasty pests?
Might I refer you to the MBTA of 1918?
Yes, it IS illegal to shoot blackbirds. Sure, there are exceptions for farmers and some people who have permits to do so providing they have good reason. But to blindly shoot into a flock of birds while they sleep is against the law. Not only that, it is immoral and disgusting.

Can you not discern hunting for food/survival (which I am all for)and random killing?

That tells me alot about your character if you think blackbirds are "nasty pests."
They are a beautiful work of art by the All Mighty! How can anyone not love this:
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10075 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm not a lib. I'm just smart enough to know that republicans aren't saints either. When you grow up, you'll understand.
I chose a side a long time ago. I know the party is not full of saints, I also know that they build Churches for Sinners.

I chose the side closest to my beliefs and core values. We have a two party system for the foreseeable future and their is nothing that you and a couple of dozen other Paul supporters can do about it except flush your vote down the toilet. You need to grow up and realize there are people in this land who have different FREEDOMS than you do.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10076 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10077 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, it IS illegal to shoot blackbirds. Sure, there are exceptions for farmers and some people who have permits to do so providing they have good reason. But to blindly shoot into a flock of birds while they sleep is against the law. Not only that, it is immoral and disgusting.
Can you not discern hunting for food/survival (which I am all for)and random killing?
That tells me alot about your character if you think blackbirds are "nasty pests."
They are a beautiful work of art by the All Mighty! How can anyone not love this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =q3QicOAiBXkXX
So you don't like some swans and I don't like some blackbirds. I can live with that..
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10078 Oct 23, 2013
Ol Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
My truck shuts off at 100.The last "Cash for Clunkers" destroyed a lot of classic cars.Just drives up the price.Gov ernment cannot control speed as long as hot rodders live! Good for you Curm, keep that chevy percolating
I was driving a big ole semi with a high horsepower catapillar engine and a 13 speed trans. The owner was talking about how fast it would run. Claimed it would do 115mph. so the next time out I decided to see just how fast it would run. There was a long downhill stretch of road straight about 6 miles. So I hammered It down. The next time the boss was telling the tale I spoke up. Told him loaded to 80,000 going downhill flat on the floor in 13th gear when ya get to 80MPH the compueter shuts it down and turn,s on the Jake brakes. Maybe if ya rolled it off of techapie (the Grapevine) and put it out in Georgia overdrive ya might go faster. Anyway everything I have is older my main tractor is a 1944. My PK is a 72. I sold all the newer vehicles & equipt. I drove that 55 when I was in high school. My mother stated I was the kind of kid she didn't want her children playing with. All the local cops and I where well aquainted. I worked at a auto salvage yard. Drove a different car every week. By the time I was twenty I had driven titled and owned over a 100 vehicles. Once I owned over 300 cars & trucks all at the same time. That was back when everything was wide open and you could make money. I carried a 100 one hundred dollar bills in my pocket. We never had a penny of auto insurance until I was 35 years old. That when the state passed a mandatory insurance requirement. Kids nowadays will never have the opportunities we enjoyed.
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10079 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =q3QicOAiBXkXX
We hashed the legality of killing blackbirds out last year. My killing is legal.

SE Michigan

#10080 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I chose a side a long time ago. I know the party is not full of saints, I also know that they build Churches for Sinners.
I chose the side closest to my beliefs and core values. We have a two party system for the foreseeable future and their is nothing that you and a couple of dozen other Paul supporters can do about it except flush your vote down the toilet. You need to grow up and realize there are people in this land who have different FREEDOMS than you do.
That's the difference between you and I. You choose a side and stick with it.
I choose a set of values and aligned myself with those that are closest to them. If some of those individuals go astray, I don't follow them!
We only have a two party system in your mind because that's what you've been told....and you OBEY.....

A couple dozen Paul supporters?? Really?? You have NO clue the number of supporters he had. The media would not let you know. That is a proven fact. But like you said, libs don't look at facts.

It was NOT one or two millionaires making THIS happen!:
http://nyletterpress.wordpress.com/2007/11/05...

SE Michigan

#10081 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
It well could have been fake. I have not watched that video. I have no interest in him. I'm not a lib.

SE Michigan

#10082 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't like some swans and I don't like some blackbirds. I can live with that..
Fine, but the law sides with me (most of the time). Natives (blackbirds) cannot be killed legally (without a special permit). Swans are also protected, but not because they're natives, But because bleeding hearts demanded it because of their beauty. Most of those people know nothing about healthy ecosystems.

SE Michigan

#10083 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I was driving a big ole semi with a high horsepower catapillar engine and a 13 speed trans. The owner was talking about how fast it would run. Claimed it would do 115mph. so the next time out I decided to see just how fast it would run. There was a long downhill stretch of road straight about 6 miles. So I hammered It down. The next time the boss was telling the tale I spoke up. Told him loaded to 80,000 going downhill flat on the floor in 13th gear when ya get to 80MPH the compueter shuts it down and turn,s on the Jake brakes. Maybe if ya rolled it off of techapie (the Grapevine) and put it out in Georgia overdrive ya might go faster. Anyway everything I have is older my main tractor is a 1944. My PK is a 72. I sold all the newer vehicles & equipt. I drove that 55 when I was in high school. My mother stated I was the kind of kid she didn't want her children playing with. All the local cops and I where well aquainted. I worked at a auto salvage yard. Drove a different car every week. By the time I was twenty I had driven titled and owned over a 100 vehicles. Once I owned over 300 cars & trucks all at the same time. That was back when everything was wide open and you could make money. I carried a 100 one hundred dollar bills in my pocket. We never had a penny of auto insurance until I was 35 years old. That when the state passed a mandatory insurance requirement. Kids nowadays will never have the opportunities we enjoyed.
At least they can still be witness to large flocks of blackbirds, as well as some other species, on their semi-annual journeys across the continent. That's what really matters!

SE Michigan

#10084 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> We hashed the legality of killing blackbirds out last year. My killing is legal.
You have a permit? Does it allow incidental taking of other protected and possible endangered species by blasting trees at night?

SE Michigan

#10085 Oct 23, 2013
This is Wonderful! People defending FREEDOM!

Since: Jun 13

Oklahoma City, OK

#10086 Oct 23, 2013
Ron Paul was detained by TSA .They thought he was smuggling an animal on his head . A veterinarian was called in"Hell, I did'nt know whether to pet that thing or tranquilize it !", Hiram Schmedley, Town vet,undertaker and reserve duputy stated.Although they never determined what it was, Paul was allowed on the plane, after promising to keep it on a leash.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did Justin Ramsey/Noland and Scott Hodge break up 38 min Alexandria 2
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 hr Wow 30,466
Mustafa Naqvi (Nov '10) 8 hr Gollum 70
kasey eades (May '13) 8 hr dramasquad 63
Skip and Cheryl 17 hr mossy seaman 4
Mullinax Prisoner Sat shooters anoymus 8
Samantha Miller Sat lolwhatanidiot 7
El Dorado Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

El Dorado People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

El Dorado News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Dorado

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:24 pm PST

ESPN 5:24PM
Jerry Jones: 'Nobody knows' his Bryant concerns
Bleacher Report 5:24 PM
Early Preview for NFC Wild Card Matchups
Bleacher Report 6:50 PM
Is This Dallas' Best Chance at Super Bowl During Romo Era?
NBC Sports 8:48 PM
Crisis averted: No AT&T Stadium scheduling conflict for CFP championship
Yahoo! Sports12:47 AM
No mailing it in as Cowboys top Redskins 44-17