More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10197 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10047 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So if you are having a Heart Attack or your dogs just swallowed some poison and you or your husband are rushing you guys to the hospital you want him to do 25 MPH as the speed limit dictates in places. You libs are fascinating..
In case of a heart attack, advanced life support is just a few minutes away. One should NEVER rush a spouse to the hospital during a heart attack! Especially when they live half hour from the nearest emergency room. A heart attack victim needs immediate care from the people who have the equipment and are trained to deal with cardiac arrest.

If my dog swallows poison, I would call poison control for instructions on what to do for the dog immediately. Then I would get him to the animal hospital as quickly as I could. I would not cause an accident getting him there. That wouldn't do him any good now, would it?

SE Michigan

#10048 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Black.
Brilliant response. You libs are fascinating.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10049 Oct 22, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
In case of a heart attack, advanced life support is just a few minutes away. One should NEVER rush a spouse to the hospital during a heart attack! Especially when they live half hour from the nearest emergency room. A heart attack victim needs immediate care from the people who have the equipment and are trained to deal with cardiac arrest.
If my dog swallows poison, I would call poison control for instructions on what to do for the dog immediately. Then I would get him to the animal hospital as quickly as I could. I would not cause an accident getting him there. That wouldn't do him any good now, would it?
LMAO! As quickly as your lib car will go in a 25 MPH Zone. That would be 25 MPH, LOL !
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10050 Oct 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I used examples. Only a lib would take them literally. What if some gang bangers disabled their little lib car and made it where it could go faster and then they targeted you for some criminal activity. Would you still be happy to be driving a lib car that only goes the posted speed limit?

SE Michigan

#10051 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! As quickly as your lib car will go in a 25 MPH Zone. That would be 25 MPH, LOL !
It is a 55 mph zone until the last couple blocks....DUH!! Just because you live in a lib town, doesn't mean I do.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10052 Oct 22, 2013
<quoted text>
It is a 55 mph zone until the last couple blocks....DUH!! Just because you live in a lib town, doesn't mean I do.
That's the point, you want to impose your lib ways on everybody else. Your attitude is the hell with everybody else, I have my own set of rules. So much for FREEDOM for all in your liberal world.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10053 Oct 22, 2013
<quoted text>
LMAO! Alamogordo is the most Republican city in New Mexico.

SE Michigan

#10054 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I used examples. Only a lib would take them literally. What if some gang bangers disabled their little lib car and made it where it could go faster and then they targeted you for some criminal activity. Would you still be happy to be driving a lib car that only goes the posted speed limit?
Please refer to the 2nd amendment.

SE Michigan

#10055 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! Alamogordo is the most Republican city in New Mexico.
This wouldn't have happened if the stolen car couldn't go more than the posted speed!
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-po...

SE Michigan

#10056 Oct 22, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! Alamogordo is the most Republican city in New Mexico.
Good for you. But too bad, that don't impress me much!
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10058 Oct 23, 2013
Raptor Thanks for the Heads up that the blackbirds are headed south. we got a box of 100 12 guage no6 1/2 shells. Ill be ready when those grackles arrive in my vicinity. We shot a few with a 22 bird shot. But when thousands roost in our cedar glade we just blast into the trees and watch them fall. Ya know we do this after dark and we never where so fortunate as to have thousands crash & die like happened a beebe. Maybe I sould save my shells and light fireworks?

SE Michigan

#10059 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Raptor Thanks for the Heads up that the blackbirds are headed south. we got a box of 100 12 guage no6 1/2 shells. Ill be ready when those grackles arrive in my vicinity. We shot a few with a 22 bird shot. But when thousands roost in our cedar glade we just blast into the trees and watch them fall. Ya know we do this after dark and we never where so fortunate as to have thousands crash & die like happened a beebe. Maybe I sould save my shells and light fireworks?
That's just idiotic talk! Ya know, God watches us and we do get paid back for our deeds.

You should Thank God we still have natual phenomenons like bird migrations to witness. Some day it could all be gone-most likely by the act of some ignorant human.

It gives me chills to see and hear massive flocks of blackbirds heading south (and north again in the spring). It takes me back to a time before humans interfered with nature. It's a truly awe-inspiring event.

The thought that some old fashioned, misguided farmer would want to destroy such beauty is beyond me. There is nothing as refreshing as waking up one late February morning here in the north and hearing that first blackbirds of the year as the days grow longer and ice melts and drips from my roof.

Ever heard of a scarecrow? Owl decoys? There are other ways of keeping birds out of your fields. But then, with the amount of insects they eat, why would you want to keep them out?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10060 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
This wouldn't have happened if the stolen car couldn't go more than the posted speed!
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-po...
"IF" he would have called in sick that day it wouldn't have happened either. LMAO!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10061 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Good for you. But too bad, that don't impress me much!
Of course it doesn't you being a lib and all!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10062 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Get a few of them for me so they don't get over my way..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10063 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
That's just idiotic talk! Ya know, God watches us and we do get paid back for our deeds.
You should Thank God we still have natual phenomenons like bird migrations to witness. Some day it could all be gone-most likely by the act of some ignorant human.
It gives me chills to see and hear massive flocks of blackbirds heading south (and north again in the spring). It takes me back to a time before humans interfered with nature. It's a truly awe-inspiring event.
The thought that some old fashioned, misguided farmer would want to destroy such beauty is beyond me. There is nothing as refreshing as waking up one late February morning here in the north and hearing that first blackbirds of the year as the days grow longer and ice melts and drips from my roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PTE0Cz188bwXX
Ever heard of a scarecrow? Owl decoys? There are other ways of keeping birds out of your fields. But then, with the amount of insects they eat, why would you want to keep them out?
I don't think it is illegal to shoot black birds. I thought you were all against hunting rules and regulations? Why would you want somebody to lose their FREEDOM from shooting these nasty pests?

SE Michigan

#10064 Oct 23, 2013
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10065 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I hate speeders. Cars should be built to travel no faster than the speed limit sign for the road they are on.
Oh yeah, and they should automatically slow down if heat sensors in the front detect a heat source close to the road up ahead. Think of all the animals it would save....and maybe even people too.
Sorry for your loss.
I don't want to legislate moral or safe behavior. If you going 10 mph on the icy road and have a wreck you apparently where driving too fast for conditions. I owned and drove cars in the late sixties that would exceed 150 mph. I had a 70 Z28 Camaro that would run like a raped ape. Ive sold most of those old muscle cars. I still have my 55 chevy. 454 two fours four speed it can pull the front wheels four feet high on takeoff if I want. I used to street race it. Now I usually manage to make it to George Rays dragstrip at Paragould ar a few times per season. Its old & obsolete and not competitive any more. but It makes me happy. The things I did I should by all logic have died when very young. I never deny other folks the opportunity to enjoy life and take risk. all of life is a gamble. We have more than enough laws. The best government governs the least. My child was killed as a result of two drivers doing careless incorrect things at the same time. It could have been prevented it wasn't a accident. No laws could or would have changed the outcome.
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10066 Oct 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Get a few of them for me so they don't get over my way..
Those grackles are deemed a pest and health hazard. If we let them establish a roost in our cedar that would kill the trees.. The thousands would become millions and the droppings would be several feet deep. The trees would die. It also would cause histoplasmosis and respiratory diseases. If left alone they would eat the feed put out for other animals. The deer hunters don't want them eating the corn set out for deer. They would also eat a lot of the natural mast and seeds that turkey, ouail and other birds need to survive the winter. Yep I do my part and there is no guilt or remorse involved.
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10067 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PTE0Cz188bwXX
I can show you owl decoys covered in black bird poop. Those birds are primarily seed eaters. They are here when the harvest is in full swing. And It has already frosted so there are very few insects. I want the ouail and turkey ect. to receive the benefit of the few remaining insects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Though it got bumped, Tonya V remains in local ... 1 hr To Adams Meth Hea... 54
Country club closed public street 1 hr Exact 16
Martie Adams Chandler 5 hr tired of her crap 23
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 8 hr BARNEYII 33,378
Human error in a nuclear facility nearly destro... 13 hr Dilligaf 28
Main Street/festivals and events Thu fart 9
Missing person Thu Sam 35

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance