More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,015

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9129 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you feed birds? Are you not drawing them away from their natural habitat? Do they not want to congregate close to where the free food is. Do they not build nests in and around your house or cabin? Does this not attract other animals to come and get a free bird meal also? Sounds to me like you might be doing more harm to birds than you are doing good.
thats been my experience. When we fed the birds the sparrow hawks moved in and roosted in the nearby trees wating for their next kill. We counted seven sparrow hawks at one time. Its the same exact thing as I do when I hunt over a deer feeder. So we realized the folly of feeding the winter birds and stopped feeding them. I seen a dozen robins yesterday and several cardinals . When we where feeding & those hawks where here I never seen robins and cardinals where pretty rare.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9130 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> thats been my experience. When we fed the birds the sparrow hawks moved in and roosted in the nearby trees wating for their next kill. We counted seven sparrow hawks at one time. Its the same exact thing as I do when I hunt over a deer feeder. So we realized the folly of feeding the winter birds and stopped feeding them. I seen a dozen robins yesterday and several cardinals . When we where feeding & those hawks where here I never seen robins and cardinals where pretty rare.
I agree. I am my own worse enemy when it come to feeding the quail. I spread out their seed, the quail come to eat, the field mice then discover a free meal in the seed, the Rattle Snakes then discover an easy meal in the field mice, then the baby quail hatch and the Road Runners congregate around the free seed to eat the baby quail if the Rattle Snakes don't get them first and it goes on and on! I know the harm I cause, some people just can't admitt that they are causing more damage than good.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9131 Feb 28, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feed birds because I do want to do something good for them. I feed them because I enjoy watching them up close.(Maybe a selfish reason, I admit) I have well thought of exactly what you stated here.
But I find that birds don't generally nest close to the food. It drives me nuts when I see people build bird houses with a feeder attached to it!!
I feed birds in the front yard. I have bird houses in the back yard. My back yard has fledged nearly 90 House Wrens in the past ten years or so.
On the other hand, feeding the birds does in way help them have a reliable food source when much of their previous sources have been mowed down, sprayed with pesticides or is covered with snow and ice.
In a way I'm hurting. In a way I'm helping. I think it all evens out in the end.
I do plan on scaling the feeding way back though. It's getting too damn expensive.
LOL! At least we can admit it! I enjoy feeding the birds also. I have built many bird houses and placed them around my property. I give more than I take and I hope one day it might get me to a better place than here, if one exists!
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9132 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I am my own worse enemy when it come to feeding the quail. I spread out their seed, the quail come to eat, the field mice then discover a free meal in the seed, the Rattle Snakes then discover an easy meal in the field mice, then the baby quail hatch and the Road Runners congregate around the free seed to eat the baby quail if the Rattle Snakes don't get them first and it goes on and on! I know the harm I cause, some people just can't admitt that they are causing more damage than good.
Habitat improvement is about the only thing ive found that really can make a huge difference. Ive let my fence rows become overgrown. Every other fence post is a untreated wooden one. The woodpeckers build nest holes in them. and other birds use the abandoned woodpecker nest. I build bird houses. I try and let blackberrys wild rosebushes cedar trees ect grow and form thickets. It looks funny to see 20 X 20 overgrown fenced patches in the middle of hay fields & pastures. I only bush hogg once per year in the winter. I let oak walnut hickory cherry trees grow up in my fence rows also. I try and keep bird killing predators mostly house cats in check. Its possible I do more for the birds than Raptor? not feeding helps insure that natural selection prevails. survival of the fittest should occur.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9133 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't feed birds because I do want to do something good for them. I feed them because I enjoy watching them up close.(Maybe a selfish reason, I admit) I have well thought of exactly what you stated here.
But I find that birds don't generally nest close to the food. It drives me nuts when I see people build bird houses with a feeder attached to it!!
I feed birds in the front yard. I have bird houses in the back yard. My back yard has fledged nearly 90 House Wrens in the past ten years or so.
On the other hand, feeding the birds does in way help them have a reliable food source when much of their previous sources have been mowed down, sprayed with pesticides or is covered with snow and ice.
In a way I'm hurting. In a way I'm helping. I think it all evens out in the end.
I do plan on scaling the feeding way back though. It's getting too damn expensive.
At our former residence we had a house wren that lived with us. It came inside whenever the door was opened. It started bringing in nesting materials on top of a cabinet. My wife who is part native american believed it maybe temporarly carried the spirit of a departed loved one. she believes its good luck to be adopted by a house wren. so she had me cut a 1&1/2 inch square corner from the kitchen door so it could come and go whenever it wanted. She rasied usually two batches of babies every year. stayed the winters and was present for at least six years. That home burnt down and the wren apparently died in the fire. My wife commented the other day she wished another wren would come to stay awile.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9134 Feb 28, 2013
We have stated that a certain degree of intelligence is required in order to spark a soul, and this is the ability to conceive of the self as separate from others. This is defined as being "conscious" of the self. Regardless of how clever or empathetic dogs and pigs and chimps are, they are not at this level. Souls do not spark within them. However, an already sparked soul can incarnate into a pet or other animal for set reasons, and this does occur. In nature, animals are prey and carnivore, and tear each other apart during territorial fights. Abuse at the hands of humans is no more brutal, but the potential for long term pain, not found in nature, exists. In the scheme of things, less brutality than Nature provides exists in many cases, for instance with pets or well tended domestic herds.------ interesting copy & paste ?
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9135 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! At least we can admit it! I enjoy feeding the birds also. I have built many bird houses and placed them around my property. I give more than I take and I hope one day it might get me to a better place than here, if one exists!
The best you can hope for is to have more positives than negatives! I believe when your physical body dies your spirit is set free. You look back at your deeds and decide where when how and what & why your next reincarnation will be. You live a life to learn & progress or sometimes just to help someone elses progression. You might even chose to be a victim? of course dying will tell?
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9136 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> The best you can hope for is to have more positives than negatives! I believe when your physical body dies your spirit is set free. You look back at your deeds and decide where when how and what & why your next reincarnation will be. You live a life to learn & progress or sometimes just to help someone elses progression. You might even chose to be a victim? of course dying will tell?
I'll probably come back as a damn bird or even worse a coyote!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9137 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> thats been my experience. When we fed the birds the sparrow hawks moved in and roosted in the nearby trees wating for their next kill. We counted seven sparrow hawks at one time. Its the same exact thing as I do when I hunt over a deer feeder. So we realized the folly of feeding the winter birds and stopped feeding them. I seen a dozen robins yesterday and several cardinals . When we where feeding & those hawks where here I never seen robins and cardinals where pretty rare.
There are SO MANY reasons for population changes. What you witnessed could be pure coincidence. Songbirds are not dumb. They know there are predators out there.

SE Michigan

#9138 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I am my own worse enemy when it come to feeding the quail. I spread out their seed, the quail come to eat, the field mice then discover a free meal in the seed, the Rattle Snakes then discover an easy meal in the field mice, then the baby quail hatch and the Road Runners congregate around the free seed to eat the baby quail if the Rattle Snakes don't get them first and it goes on and on! I know the harm I cause, some people just can't admitt that they are causing more damage than good.
And who didn't admit that? The fact is there are two sides to the feeding issue. That's why maintaining a clean feeding area and rotating the locations of feeding areas is so important. So is providing cover for the birds to get to quickly. Like I said before, most hawks leave here empty-taloned.

SE Michigan

#9139 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! At least we can admit it! I enjoy feeding the birds also. I have built many bird houses and placed them around my property. I give more than I take and I hope one day it might get me to a better place than here, if one exists!
I hope you don't allow House Sparrows or European Starlings to nest in your boxes. That will do more harm to the native species than good. Both of those species are very aggressive, non-native and will kill the native birds and ovetake the boxes for their own young, further increasing their populations. Luckily, starlings cannot fit through holes that other birds can.

Remember, birds such as bluebirds, are territorial and will not allow another pair of bluebirds within a certain distance of their box. So "many " boxes in a small area isn't necessarily ideal.

Western and Mountain Bluebirds - Boxes should be spaced about 200 - 300 yards apart.
http://www.birdzilla.com/bluebirds/bluebird-t...

SE Michigan

#9140 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Habitat improvement is about the only thing ive found that really can make a huge difference. Ive let my fence rows become overgrown. Every other fence post is a untreated wooden one. The woodpeckers build nest holes in them. and other birds use the abandoned woodpecker nest. I build bird houses. I try and let blackberrys wild rosebushes cedar trees ect grow and form thickets. It looks funny to see 20 X 20 overgrown fenced patches in the middle of hay fields & pastures. I only bush hogg once per year in the winter. I let oak walnut hickory cherry trees grow up in my fence rows also. I try and keep bird killing predators mostly house cats in check. Its possible I do more for the birds than Raptor? not feeding helps insure that natural selection prevails. survival of the fittest should occur.
"Its possible I do more for the birds than Raptor? not feeding helps insure that natural selection prevails. survival of the fittest should occur."
Ordinarily I would agree with this. But WAY too many strong and healthy birds are being killed and not able to reproduce as they should because of things like cars, tall structures blocking their flight migratory path, pesticides, glass windows, etc... The very few birds that I might "save" from death by supplementing their food could go on to reproduce and help replace just a tiny portion of those "fittest" birds that shouldn't have died prematurely.

SE Michigan

#9141 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Habitat improvement is about the only thing ive found that really can make a huge difference. Ive let my fence rows become overgrown. Every other fence post is a untreated wooden one. The woodpeckers build nest holes in them. and other birds use the abandoned woodpecker nest. I build bird houses. I try and let blackberrys wild rosebushes cedar trees ect grow and form thickets. It looks funny to see 20 X 20 overgrown fenced patches in the middle of hay fields & pastures. I only bush hogg once per year in the winter. I let oak walnut hickory cherry trees grow up in my fence rows also. I try and keep bird killing predators mostly house cats in check. Its possible I do more for the birds than Raptor? not feeding helps insure that natural selection prevails. survival of the fittest should occur.
PS. You are the right track with your improvements! Good job!

SE Michigan

#9142 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> At our former residence we had a house wren that lived with us. It came inside whenever the door was opened. It started bringing in nesting materials on top of a cabinet. My wife who is part native american believed it maybe temporarly carried the spirit of a departed loved one. she believes its good luck to be adopted by a house wren. so she had me cut a 1&1/2 inch square corner from the kitchen door so it could come and go whenever it wanted. She rasied usually two batches of babies every year. stayed the winters and was present for at least six years. That home burnt down and the wren apparently died in the fire. My wife commented the other day she wished another wren would come to stay awile.
A wren house with just a one ich hole over by one of those thickets just might lure one to nest.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9143 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"Its possible I do more for the birds than Raptor? not feeding helps insure that natural selection prevails. survival of the fittest should occur."
Ordinarily I would agree with this. But WAY too many strong and healthy birds are being killed and not able to reproduce as they should because of things like cars, tall structures blocking their flight migratory path, pesticides, glass windows, etc... The very few birds that I might "save" from death by supplementing their food could go on to reproduce and help replace just a tiny portion of those "fittest" birds that shouldn't have died prematurely.
at best its a wash even steven. You cause birds to congregate this enables predators. It also can help spread diseases from sick birds to healthy ones. the fittest birds will fledge four young. Ive got bluebirds that raise two batches every year.

SE Michigan

#9144 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
We have stated that a certain degree of intelligence is required in order to spark a soul, and this is the ability to conceive of the self as separate from others. This is defined as being "conscious" of the self. Regardless of how clever or empathetic dogs and pigs and chimps are, they are not at this level. Souls do not spark within them. However, an already sparked soul can incarnate into a pet or other animal for set reasons, and this does occur. In nature, animals are prey and carnivore, and tear each other apart during territorial fights. Abuse at the hands of humans is no more brutal, but the potential for long term pain, not found in nature, exists. In the scheme of things, less brutality than Nature provides exists in many cases, for instance with pets or well tended domestic herds.------ interesting copy & paste ?
Who comes up with this shit? So some human full of himself thinks animals don't know they exist or are different from other species doesn't make it true.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9145 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
A wren house with just a one ich hole over by one of those thickets just might lure one to nest.
there are wrens that nest all around the home. there is a old R 190 international truck with a shotgun hole in the windsheld, A wren nest in the open glove box every year. My wife would enjoy a house wren like Mrs Wren that actually stayed in our home.

SE Michigan

#9146 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So what did you mean by posting that Alpha coyote garbage? It seems you want me to think that the alpha mmale won't breed and reproduce pups when a female comes into heat. Interesting point of view and probably works on somebody who knows nothing about animals or the outdoors!
Here read it again and try to comprehend this time:
"You are disrupting their tight family structures when you kill the alphas of the pack. Every other pack member then vies for that alpha position and they all start breeding. In other words, by hunting them, you increase their population. It's what I learned in South Dakota at a coyote talk by one of the rangers after they researched the subject thoroughly. If you think that's wrong, take it up with them."

SE Michigan

#9147 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am surrounded by the Lincoln National Forest. That is over ONE MILLION ACRES of unmowed lawn! Have you ever seen a forest?
Too many to list here.

SE Michigan

#9148 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>You stated that in a previous post. a Theory isnt a fact. The fact is every female that comes in heat is very likely to get bred. Then that female and her mate is the start of a new pack. The fact is coyotes & dogs can do a lot of damage in a very short time.I have almost a 100 female barbado ewe sheep. they have an average of two lambs each. The initial investment was $10,000 and I have another in $4000 in feed trucking & vetenery supplies + my time & labor and investment in barns & fence. now my pasture fence is 39 inch woven wire with a strand of barb at the top. My sheep are now in a barn & lot with a 6 foot high chain link fence. cototes could easily jump that fence . coyotes & dogs both could easily dig under. Now if dogs or coyotes got in there they wouldnt be content to kill just one animal and eat it. No they would kill and keep killing until they became pooped out tired. then when rested up they would kill more until not a live animal remained. Ive seen the aftermath of such attacks. Very soon I must turn those animals out on the pasture. So the Lama,s and I must be vigilant & keep constant watch. Ill do my best to kill every free roaming dog or feral coyote that comes on my land because its a potential threat to my livestock & livleyhood. I have to assume that its about to harrass my livestock. I cant afford not to. I simply dont have the luxury to try and hold judgment and just identify & prosecute and sentence the culprits after they have destroyed thousands of dollars worth of livestock. I could easily suffer a $20,000 loss in just one attack. The only good free roaming dog or coyote is a dead one. Ill keep my body grip traps set because they can be their 24 X 7 and they work cheap. The fact is that as long as I pay the Taxes its my right to decide what is allowed to roam on my land. Tresspassers no matter what are not welcome.
Why are other farmers able to get by without killing everything that sets foot on their property?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AR Who do you support for Governor in Arkansas in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Guest 955
AR Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in A... (Oct '10) 2 hr Guest 399
Streetside parking on east Faulkner between rai... 4 hr Well 6
Karma 5 hr Stink 4
savage souls lmao 5 hr Crab 9
Disgusting 5 hr Fly 6
The El Dorado Feral Chicken (Sep '12) 5 hr Queen 14
•••
•••
•••