More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10204 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8926 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>No Montezuma here but plenty of Gambel and tons of White Wing..
I'll remember that if I need pictures of the Gambels.

A friend called me with a report of a Turkey Vulture near Detroit today. A very early migrant. I usually start seeing them in mid-March. I wonder if that means spring is right around the corner.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8927 Feb 13, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll remember that if I need pictures of the Gambels.
A friend called me with a report of a Turkey Vulture near Detroit today. A very early migrant. I usually start seeing them in mid-March. I wonder if that means spring is right around the corner.
We judge our last freeze in these parts by when the mesquite blooms. Once it blooms no more freeze.

SE Michigan

#8928 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like the cabin is only a few hours away. Where do you want to retire. We are the 5th largest state in the union and 37th most populated so there is plenty of room out here and the cost of living is not expensive. We are starting to get our share of Californians in here just like Colorado. I hate when they bring their liberal ways..
The cabin is 2.5 hours on a good day with no traffic. Closer to 3 hours on a Friday evening when I75 is packed with people heading up north.

I have not made any decisions regarding retirement yet. I could see myself living in northern MI eventually. I'm thinking I'll want to stay in the north at least for the hot part of the year. I love the south too. The Texas Hill Country is awesome! West Texas is gorgeous with low humidity. I love the southwestern deserts and the western mountains. I also like Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee. Wyoming and Colorado are beautiful!

The motorhome is nice because we can go where we want when we want!

I've also been enjoying the snow and cold lately. I couldn't see myself being a fulltime snowbird. I want to be everywhere at the same time! I don't know that I could make a final decision and say for certain where I want to live in retirement.

SE Michigan

#8929 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We judge our last freeze in these parts by when the mesquite blooms. Once it blooms no more freeze.
Last year we had many March days in the 70's and 80's. The apple and cherry trees all budded and started to bloom. Then May was very cold with some hard freezes and they lost almost all the fruit crops.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8930 Feb 13, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>2 million sounds like a good start to me.
really? then your one sick SOB who should be monitored with a leg bracelet.

God help any children you call your own.

Location hidden

#8931 Feb 13, 2013
They were poisoned by the Dept of Ag folks. Big Pharma Monsanto sorts.

Why they have SUNFLOWER fields to grow...damn those birds.

Oh and the Giant Wind Mill Farms which are operatnional? Go underneath them in the morning and see the SLAUGHTER of migrating song birds. Dead Corpses strewn about the ground for they put those Flippin mills in the migratory paths of birds.

Location hidden

#8932 Feb 13, 2013
I have a nephew who took a job in Africa as a helicopter pilot to spread poisons on the myriad of birds there in order to protect the seeds sown in that location from them coming in and eating the seeds on the ground.
Tens of thousands of birds poisoned. He thought it cool...those nasty birds for doing what birds do.

I have never spoken to him since.

Location hidden

#8933 Feb 13, 2013
Fawk their SUNFLOWER farms...you poison birds without the will of the people in a mandate ordered by Monsanto growers your affecting an imbalance for profit of the natural worlds habitat in a cold and calculated agenda whose bottom line is money.

Alan Watt has this covered and all the documents public at
Cuttingthroughthematrix dot com

Location hidden

#8934 Feb 13, 2013
yah.... he is now a helicopter pilot in MEsa flying choppers of red color to 'save people' life flight. hahaha...
save people while once killing for money those wonderful song birds with poison everyone wishes to hear nesting in the spring and bringing their songs to your childrens ears.

Location hidden

#8935 Feb 13, 2013
Oh man I jumped for the joy of eyesight and song..two days ago.. I saw a pair of Red Winged Blackbirds here on Cedar Key Florida.

there is hope.
fifty1fifty

United States

#8936 Feb 13, 2013
Seed giant Monsanto has won more than $23 million from hundreds of small farmers accused of replanting the company’s genetically engineered seeds. Now, another case is looming – and it could set a landmark precedent for the future of seed ownership.
The lawsuits concern Monsanto’s patent rights as the company strives to prevent farmers from replanting crops grown from the company’s seeds. It’s a concept that a study published on Tuesday – titled 'Seed Giants vs. US Farmers'– referred to as creating a “seed oligarchy.”
In the report, the Center for Food Safety (CFS) said it discovered 142 patent infringement suits against 410 farmers and 56 small businesses in more than 27 states as of December 2012. The amount of money pocketed by Monsanto comes to a whopping $23 million. The study was co-produced by the Save our Seeds (SOS) campaign.
Another case is now on the horizon, and it’s drawing wide public attention: The verdict of the trial will determine who controls the rights to seeds planted in the ground.
It will also determine whether patent owners of other products which can make copies of themselves – such as stem cells and strains of bacteria used for medical research – and can continue to control the use of their products after selling them. It’s a scenario that wasn’t even considered until recently.
“We’re dealing with laws and doctrines that were developed in the 19th century, where the idea of self-replicating technologies didn’t exist,” Jorge Contreras, associate law professor at American University in Washington told Bloomberg Businessweek.
It’s been dubbed a 'David and Goliath' trial by many, as multi-billion-dollar Monsanto goes head to head against 75-year-old Indiana farmer Vernon Hugh Bowman, who said that fighting for justice is his main concern.
“I really don’t consider it as David and Goliath,” Bowman told the Guardian.“I don’t think of it in those terms. I think of it in terms of right and wrong.”
At the center of the case is Monsanto’s protection of its patented soybean, known as Roundup Ready. When farmers like Bowman plant the company’s seeds, they are only allowed to harvest the resulting crop – not keep any for next year’s harvest.
Under these rules, farmers have to buy new Monsanto seeds to plant each season, even if they already have usable seeds in their possession.
However, farmers are able to buy excess soybeans from local grain elevators, many of which are likely to be Roundup Ready seeds. One of Bowman's trips to such a grain elevator put him in Monsanto’s sights.
“We have always had the right to go to an elevator, buy some ‘junk grain’ and use it for seed if you desire,” Bowman explained.
But the question of whether he really does have that right is still up in the air. and will be determined by a Supreme Court judge.
( RT.com )
fifty1fifty

United States

#8937 Feb 13, 2013
I'm afraid that really if you plant/grow the GMO corn again it might mutate and cause people that eat it to become more stupid from the bug killer grown into the GMO? I know more stupid is a hard concept in America at this point in time but if more people eat this mutant corn they will give up their guns to an "executive order asshole". Taco Bell uses GMO corn, I'm gonna miss them.):

SE Michigan

#8938 Feb 14, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
They were poisoned by the Dept of Ag folks. Big Pharma Monsanto sorts.
Why they have SUNFLOWER fields to grow...damn those birds.
Oh and the Giant Wind Mill Farms which are operatnional? Go underneath them in the morning and see the SLAUGHTER of migrating song birds. Dead Corpses strewn about the ground for they put those Flippin mills in the migratory paths of birds.
Operational or non-operational....they still slaughter birds...and the real numbers are being kept a secret by the government and by the big wind companies.

Only ONE wind farm in CA has been monitored for large bird (raptors) kills and they found the problem so bad, they are now reducing the number of turbines and the design of them. Will they ever start counting the SONGBIRDS killed by them all over the country? I doubt it. There's too much money involved.

Alot of good the new turbines will do. Songirds still migrate, mostly at night, and the wind mills are still in their flight path, which is largely unseen by them in the darkness. More so on foggy, snowy, rainy or moonless nights.

Aircraft safety lights on the structures makes the problem even worse, so they say. Lights apparently "confuse" the birds who end up flying circles around the structures further increasing the risk of collision with the monstrosity.

I personally don't know if the birds are confused by the lighting, or if they are eating the insects attracted to the lights. Either way, wind energy kills and is NOT green or clean, nor is it cheap.
http://www.examiner.com/article/bird-slaughte...

SE Michigan

#8939 Feb 14, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
I have a nephew who took a job in Africa as a helicopter pilot to spread poisons on the myriad of birds there in order to protect the seeds sown in that location from them coming in and eating the seeds on the ground.
Tens of thousands of birds poisoned. He thought it cool...those nasty birds for doing what birds do.
I have never spoken to him since.
I use a different approach on the ignorant ones. I don't see them as the enemy and avoid them. I see them as the prospect and I invite them.

I invite them to come with me into the great outdoors, or just look out my kitchen window, and do some bird watching. I may not tell them exactly what we're doing, but while out there, we will always see something cool.

I will offer my binoculars and describe what they are seeing. What the bird is doing. How far it flew to get there. Where they spend the winter, or summer depending on the season it is. How important they are as far as insect eaters, forest planters or pollinators. What a beautiful song they have. How the male and female can look so different from each other. Any other interesting facts about that bird, etc. And why there are so few now compared to 50 years ago. Or in some cases, why there are so many.

The results of my efforts usually pay off. I know very few people who don't like songbirds. Once I start showing them the different ones at the feeders, they start noticing details on all the birds they see. And they most always have a desire to protect them rather than kill them.

One man I work with quit mowing his 20 acre parcel each week and now has acreage full of butterflies, bobolinks and meadowlarks!

Don't give up on the nephew. Just introduce him to the wonderful world of birds that surround him. It may work, maybe not. It's worth a try. Do it for the birds.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8940 Feb 14, 2013
<quoted text>
The cabin is 2.5 hours on a good day with no traffic. Closer to 3 hours on a Friday evening when I75 is packed with people heading up north.
I have not made any decisions regarding retirement yet. I could see myself living in northern MI eventually. I'm thinking I'll want to stay in the north at least for the hot part of the year. I love the south too. The Texas Hill Country is awesome! West Texas is gorgeous with low humidity. I love the southwestern deserts and the western mountains. I also like Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee. Wyoming and Colorado are beautiful!
The motorhome is nice because we can go where we want when we want!
I've also been enjoying the snow and cold lately. I couldn't see myself being a fulltime snowbird. I want to be everywhere at the same time! I don't know that I could make a final decision and say for certain where I want to live in retirement.
Well this is just as good a place as any I have ever been to retire. I wish we had some big lakes closer. It is a small city where you don't have all the rush and big city problems. We are close enough to El Paso and Las Cruces to do some big city shopping when we desire and we have the desert and the mountains right at our feet. We are also young enough to get out and explore a little right now. I also like the Hill Country. Texas does not have an income tax either.

SE Michigan

#8941 Feb 14, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
yah.... he is now a helicopter pilot in MEsa flying choppers of red color to 'save people' life flight. hahaha...
save people while once killing for money those wonderful song birds with poison everyone wishes to hear nesting in the spring and bringing their songs to your childrens ears.
If he quit the job of killing birds for money, that sounds like a good start. My brother used to have a bb gun. I don't want to know what he did with it as a child when I wasn't around. Now, as an adult, his heart melts when he sees a hummingbird. People change. Give your nephew the benefit of the doubt. Buy him lunch after a morning of birding in the spring. It will change his life. For every person we change, they too change another one.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8942 Feb 14, 2013
I woke up this morning to discover that some idiots in this state want to protect the lesser praire chicken. This will cost jobs no doubt. What a bunch of idiots!

SE Michigan

#8943 Feb 14, 2013
Tooth4U wrote:
Oh man I jumped for the joy of eyesight and song..two days ago.. I saw a pair of Red Winged Blackbirds here on Cedar Key Florida.
there is hope.
I love red-winged Blackbirds. I anticipate beginning to see the first arrivals here in the north in another two weeks. I'm ready for them, though I've really been loving winter birds that migrated down here from the FAR NORTH this year! Common Redpolls and Pine Grosbeaks were the stars of the songbird show this winter for me. I'm hoping to find some Bohemian Waxwings before it's all said and done and they head north again.

I do look forward to May though. Peak migration for the colorful, singing neotropical migrants! Gotta love it!

SE Michigan

#8944 Feb 14, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
I'm afraid that really if you plant/grow the GMO corn again it might mutate and cause people that eat it to become more stupid from the bug killer grown into the GMO? I know more stupid is a hard concept in America at this point in time but if more people eat this mutant corn they will give up their guns to an "executive order asshole". Taco Bell uses GMO corn, I'm gonna miss them.):
What is this world coming to when one giant rules the world and makes all the decisions? You would think Obama owns Monsanto.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8945 Feb 14, 2013
<quoted text>
What is this world coming to when one giant rules the world and makes all the decisions? You would think Obama owns Monsanto.
Obama thinks he owns US!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr BARNEYII 39,410
Do it for the kids 1 hr Arandomguy 5
Canfor Eldorado 1 hr Former employee 1
Predictions 3 hr roboblogger2 1
Creepy Safeway murders 5 hr Fifi 42
Pooting women 7 hr Jlennon 13
Frank Foster 9 hr Ucso 11

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance