More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,301 - 8,320 of 9,827 Comments Last updated Wednesday

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Yea the nanny goat & sheep berries are left to fertilize. The hores & cow manure is gathered & put in the compost bin. I dont cut much in the summer months its too hot. I cant take the heat in my old age. Im thinking about a tree cutting head for my 690 john deere excavator its air conditioned. I think Ive got the varmits pretty much gone from our home area. A doe rabbitt excaped from one of the hutches. hadnt seen her for a few weeks then I seen her and a half dozen babies out back today. she is living under a old junk truck. So far No varmit has killed her however they will die before the summer is over. They will eventually succumb to worms or diseases carried by the wild cottontails. Tame rabbitts have no resistance to those. probably when the grandchildren come to visit We will let the beagle hound out and she can chase rabbits and the grand children can take turns with the 22 shooting them. If so the kids will help skin & clean their kill and we will cook them up that nite.
Whatever floats your boat.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>shure the climate is changing. there where once glaceries where I live big deal. Its not caused by mans activities. its due to the end of an age pole shift. The magnetic north pole shifted 40 miles closer to siberia in 2011, the south magnetic pole moved very little. that made the magnosphere stretch on one side of the earth and bulge on the other. That changes the Jet stream . the jet stream drives the weather. The Extinction protocol website has some good info although they do try and attribute the earth changes as sometimes being Gods will? Nicoli Telsa understood the magnosphere and the way it works. The goverment uses Haarp to travel the magnosphere & cemtrails to make the Haarp bounce down to the earth and its gives the scientist a sort of ultrasound of what is in the earth at that point. Haarp might be damaging the magnosphere and even killing blackbirds fish ect. I dont rightly know?
"Its not caused by mans activities."
I never said it was.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

took a break and watched the Last of the Summer wine on PBS ive got something in common with those guys, Trained killer like Foggy Dewhurst. Scruffy like Compo and a mechanical genius like Westly.
Two sides

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Umm, this is irrelevant, isn't it? Get a life people.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
took a break and watched the Last of the Summer wine on PBS ive got something in common with those guys, Trained killer like Foggy Dewhurst. Scruffy like Compo and a mechanical genius like Westly.
Don't know what that is. I don't watch TV, except for the weather channel and sometimes the Dog Whisperer. Everything else is too fake. Life is too short to spend my time watching people pretending to be things they're not and doing things they aren't really doing. My entertainment comes from the Great Outdoors and it's free. Well, sometimes it can be expensive, but it's much more entertaining and at least it's real. Oh yeah, Topix ain't bad either (cheap entertainment) and my computer sits next to my window overlooking the yard and all the bird feeders.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Two sides wrote:
Umm, this is irrelevant, isn't it? Get a life people.
No, it isn't irrelevent. If you don't like this topic, find one you do like and go there.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't "pretend" to know about your state. But I did look up a Spotted Owl conservation article in New Mexico and posted what I found for that one area. Maybe it's not your area, but the point is the environmentalists DO want the woods thinned out. Maybe the do-gooders in your area learned what can happen when the forests are not managed, at least to some extent. But you really need to quit blaming the owl. He's not the bad guy here.
I think I will hunt owl like my neighbor hunts roadrunner. I hear they taste like chicken..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Woke up to snow on the ground here. FREAKED me out. NOBODY called for snow for us. This puts a damper in my day..

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
Woke up to snow on the ground here. FREAKED me out. NOBODY called for snow for us. This puts a damper in my day..
You CAN'T be serious!!!!

I have been loving the snow and cold more than ever this winter!
I've been photographing the winter birds and snow in the photo is SOOOOO nice!

I've had a Ruffed Grouse at the cabin up north that I've been tracking every time we get a fresh layer of the white stuff. It's been great fun and good exercise. You should see the shot I got of him the other day....in the snow! Also got some really good Common Redpoll pictures. Maybe I'll share them with you later on my website.

My advice to you...not that you asked.....but enjoy EVERYDAY, no matter what Mother Nature brings. It's ALL so beautiful!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

<quoted text>
You CAN'T be serious!!!!
I've had a Ruffed Grouse at the cabin up north that I've been tracking every time we get a fresh layer of the white stuff. It's been great fun and good exercise. You should see the shot I got of him the other day....in the snow! Also got some really good Common Redpoll pictures. Maybe I'll share them with you later on my website.
My advice to you...not that you asked.....but enjoy EVERYDAY, no matter what Mother Nature brings. It's ALL so beautiful!
I just got in from feeding the birds. I threw them out a couple extra cans full of feed. The boy was running around playing in the snow. His mother is going to kill me..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

<quoted text>
You CAN'T be serious!!!!
I would take a shot at a ruffed grouse.12 guage mossberg 500. number 4 or 6 shot ought to do the job. probably good eating. I just fed the birds also. I Fed corn to my chickens ,ducks ,geese & pigeons.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

<quoted text>
Don't know what that is. I don't watch TV, except for the weather channel and sometimes the Dog Whisperer. Everything else is too fake. Life is too short to spend my time watching people pretending to be things they're not and doing things they aren't really doing. My entertainment comes from the Great Outdoors and it's free. Well, sometimes it can be expensive, but it's much more entertaining and at least it's real. Oh yeah, Topix ain't bad either (cheap entertainment) and my computer sits next to my window overlooking the yard and all the bird feeders.
There are plenty of shows on the nature channell that are interesting. I Have learned a lot about england by watching th BBC on PBS. All creatures great & small was a very informative series. The pensioners on summer wine inpart bits of wisdom every episode. I once went on a walkabout and visited the british isles. Having previously seen all those placs on TV I wasnt lost & bewildered like most tourist. I rode a bycycle and visited the pubs and places I seen on TV. I stayed with a old couple in cornwall a few nights. Thecold guy isisted cornwall wasnt part of england. He showed me his contraband Welby handgun. His ammo was old & mouldy. I sent him some fresh ammo first chance I got. You might think TV is dumb & stupid but like I stated before you can learn something from the dumbest retard around if your not too smart to learn something from someone else. Any road you are free to do and think whatever you want. Your the one who has to live with yor thoughts & deeds.
Bird man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

What's up with all the dead birds
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

<quoted text>
You were right to decline the offer.
There isnt a right or wrong about it. mineral rights is just to vague and all encompassing.we wouldnt want a gravel pit on it or anything like that. If they would have offered to lease just the natural gas rights for a set amount of time and given me a percentage royality I would likely have made a deal. I wont buy land that has the mineral rights severed and I wouldnt sell them for that reason. We could sell that acreage for a large profit however the capital gains tax would be excessive.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Bird man wrote:
What's up with all the dead birds
Nothingwais UP with the birds. They where all DOWN on the ground dead from blunt trama. In thinking maybe they flew into a methane cloud. Or HAARP?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I just got in from feeding the birds. I threw them out a couple extra cans full of feed. The boy was running around playing in the snow. His mother is going to kill me..
Why would his mother kill you? For letting the boy play in the snow, or for giving the birds extra food? Each seems quite reasonable to me.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

<quoted text>
Why would his mother kill you? For letting the boy play in the snow, or for giving the birds extra food? Each seems quite reasonable to me.
For letting him play in the snow in his pajamas with clogs on. So you want me dead! LOL!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>I would take a shot at a ruffed grouse.12 guage mossberg 500. number 4 or 6 shot ought to do the job. probably good eating. I just fed the birds also. I Fed corn to my chickens ,ducks ,geese & pigeons.
"probably good eating."
Can I assume by this statement that you have never eaten grouse? I find that hard to believe for a 66 year old hillbilly redneck from Arkansas. But neither have I. Would I try it if it was offered? Why certainly. But I would not kill the grouse that's in my yard. I love having him there! If I killed him, he wouldn't be there anymore and I'd only be hurting myself. It's fun watching him come and go and I'm learning alot about his behavior. A few times last week he ran through the woods with his tail fanned. I wonder if he's courting already. I have only seen one though.

I can't wait until he starts drumming and I have to find the direction it's coming from. That should be a challenge, unless he stays on the same side of the house he hangs out now. I REALLY can't wait until I have little grouselets running around!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> There are plenty of shows on the nature channell that are interesting. I Have learned a lot about england by watching th BBC on PBS. All creatures great & small was a very informative series. The pensioners on summer wine inpart bits of wisdom every episode. I once went on a walkabout and visited the british isles. Having previously seen all those placs on TV I wasnt lost & bewildered like most tourist. I rode a bycycle and visited the pubs and places I seen on TV. I stayed with a old couple in cornwall a few nights. Thecold guy isisted cornwall wasnt part of england. He showed me his contraband Welby handgun. His ammo was old & mouldy. I sent him some fresh ammo first chance I got. You might think TV is dumb & stupid but like I stated before you can learn something from the dumbest retard around if your not too smart to learn something from someone else. Any road you are free to do and think whatever you want. Your the one who has to live with yor thoughts & deeds.
I'm sure there are some good shows. I don't mind things like National Geo and the learning channel. Lately I just can't tolerate the sitcoms and movies where it's all acting and no learning. Comedy that is not funny. The audience will break out laughing, though it's only a tape of people laughing....too damn phony. I'd rather watch my bird feeders even if they are empty.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>There isnt a right or wrong about it. mineral rights is just to vague and all encompassing.we wouldnt want a gravel pit on it or anything like that. If they would have offered to lease just the natural gas rights for a set amount of time and given me a percentage royality I would likely have made a deal. I wont buy land that has the mineral rights severed and I wouldnt sell them for that reason. We could sell that acreage for a large profit however the capital gains tax would be excessive.
You just put a different amount in writing than what the actual sale price is. They pay the difference in cash. Like I said before, it's nobodies business. Your land, your money....not the govt's. People do it all the time...though I never have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 24 min Bowser45 29,478
For U Black Folks 1 hr well 13
Debate: Ferguson - El Dorado, AR 2 hr 2 sense 42
babymama/daddy drama on FBI 3 hr smhatthadad 2
C Jolley (Sep '11) 5 hr dont have one 49
Criminals 6 hr Nasty john 11
speed 16 hr Duck lover 22
hookers 17 hr PinpnHoe 41

Search the El Dorado Forum:
•••