Cross Life Church. good or bad?
who u kidding

Marietta, GA

#45 Mar 24, 2013
Amanda wrote:
Speaking in tongues is for show. We predominantly speak English in this country, with a growing Spanish-speaking population. The holy spirit does not require for people to speak in tongues. If he said otherwise, then he's adding passages to the Bible. How sad.
speaking in tongues is a sign that you received the Holy Ghost. It most definitely in the Bible. Just read and study the book of Acts
Non KoolAid Drinker

El Dorado, AR

#46 Mar 24, 2013
So essentially you're saying that all the other churches that don't speak in tongues don't have the Holy Ghost? I've attended Baptist and Methodist churches and have yet to witness any speaking in tongues.
ElDo Guy

Little Rock, AR

#47 Mar 24, 2013
who u kidding wrote:
<quoted text> speaking in tongues is a sign that you received the Holy Ghost. It most definitely in the Bible. Just read and study the book of Acts
All you are doing is showing your Biblical illiteracy. Speaking in tongues meant that the Apostles were speaking distinct foreign languages to spread the word of God. It was not jumping around babbling like an idiot in some weird gibberish. If people "spoke in tongues" the way Cross Life pretends to back in the days Christ walked the Earth, they either would have been condemned as heretics or condemned as demonically possessed. The Holy Spirit is in your heart, not in some song and dance show.
lol

El Dorado, AR

#48 Mar 25, 2013
Then you are saying all churches that speak in tongue are are idiots? Cross Life isn't the only church in South Arkansas that speaks in tongues. There are church members in all churches that have spoken in tongues at one time or another. They are in First Baptist, Immanuel Baptist, St. Paul Methodist and other churches, not just Cross Life. People need to quit judging this church just because they changed their name and welcome EVERYONE into the church.
ElDo Guy

Little Rock, AR

#49 Mar 26, 2013
lol wrote:
Then you are saying all churches that speak in tongue are are idiots? Cross Life isn't the only church in South Arkansas that speaks in tongues. There are church members in all churches that have spoken in tongues at one time or another. They are in First Baptist, Immanuel Baptist, St. Paul Methodist and other churches, not just Cross Life. People need to quit judging this church just because they changed their name and welcome EVERYONE into the church.
You really don't have a clue. People will not speak in tongues in Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, and most Baptist churches because it is scripturally unsound and they will not tolerate their congregations being made fools out of. It does not happen at First Baptist or Immanuel. They take the Bible too seriously there. Yes, people who speak in tongues are a bunch of idiots. They are being taken for suckers and don't even realize what they are doing is not in the Bible. No, Cross Life does not welcome everyone. Maybe if they have their checkbook with them.
You Speak Not Truth

El Dorado, AR

#51 Mar 26, 2013
You're mistaken! I know of people in those churches that speak in tongues, I have seen them and you're saying that churches as First Assembly or the pentecostal churches are idiots too. Oh I'm sure you don't have any family in any of these churches or have been members in those churches. El Doardo is to small to not have had family in these churches. Another thing, There are to many poor folks that Cross Life has accepted into their church and they don't have pocket books to fill the offering plate. I know because they have welcomed some of my family that was down and needed open hearts. To bad, you have a angry heart toward them instead of an open mind. I wish we had more churches in this area that truly had the love and different ministries that Cross Life gives to others.
Another ElDo Guy

El Dorado, AR

#52 Mar 26, 2013
Hey ElDo Guy: I found your verse. I Cor. 14:23. It's talking about you when it says unlearned or unbeliever.
Does your Bible have I Cor. 14:39?
Evidently

El Dorado, AR

#53 Apr 3, 2013
ElDo Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't have a clue. People will not speak in tongues in Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, and most Baptist churches because it is scripturally unsound and they will not tolerate their congregations being made fools out of. It does not happen at First Baptist or Immanuel. They take the Bible too seriously there. Yes, people who speak in tongues are a bunch of idiots. They are being taken for suckers and don't even realize what they are doing is not in the Bible. No, Cross Life does not welcome everyone. Maybe if they have their checkbook with them.
Evidently, you haven't read the whole Bible....speaking in tongues is referenced.
girlie girl

El Dorado, AR

#54 Apr 3, 2013
It the best church ever
Biblically_Litte rate

United States

#55 Apr 8, 2013
So describe what the passage is saying in The Bible where it says "people" have the miraculous power to speak in tongues and then tell where it says this "power" means they have received The Holy Spirit?

"Tongues, meaning language" in the bible was a power given to "certain" apostles in order to spread The Word. "Tongues" were a known language that was the native tongue/language of those in the crowd hearing the message. The miricle/power was that the disciple doing the speaking was not, prior to nor after, fluent in this particular language.

If a person in modern day "were" to speak in tongues, it would have to be a known language that more than one person in the crowd could enterprit but most like it would have to be the whole crowd. Like one of you going to China and miraculously being able to speak Mandarin when you had no prior knowledge.

Faith healing, laying on of hand, in the way it's done in churches like Cross Life.....or Benny Hinn.....is false teaching as well, because we should all know from studying God's word that He would never give such a power to an earthly man because it would cause some to look to the "man" instead of to God. Even if it were only one person that did this, that would be to many. it would essentially be God creating an idol to something other than Him, and we know He would never do that because He is a jealous God, He desires for us to have faith that HE is our One and Only God.
Biblically_Litte rate

United States

#56 Apr 8, 2013
By the way, anyone that uses 1 Corinthians 14 as proof of God giving power to speak in tongues, then I must presume you also hold true verses 34-35 of that same chapter.....which Cross Life doesn't, nor most other local churches. So does this mean they "pick and choose" from The Bible to suit their desire for attention or drawing a "crowd".
Rumors_Hurt_Ever yone

Woodbury, CT

#57 Apr 10, 2013
I've been to Imannuel and a couple of other Churches and have yet to hear anyone speak in tongues. Not saying they havent, but i have never witnessed it. It also says in the bible that if tongues were being spoken in, an interpreter has to be present that knows what is being said so they can communicate that to the congregation.
Biblically_Litte rate

United States

#58 Apr 10, 2013
Not just one interpreter but "two or more"
Britney Mac

El Dorado, AR

#60 Apr 11, 2013
I can't believe people who claim to be Christians are getting so pissed over such trivial things! Paul had a lot to say about Christians squabbling amongst themselves over semantics and choice of rituals.

Shouldn't the bottom line be THE LOVE OF CHRIST? Does that not unite all Christians, no matter their denomination?

I don't care if people speak in tongues and believe in prophecy or if they go to mass and kneel and listen to services in Latin. Belief in Christ unties all churches no matter the insignificant and small details that all of you seem to get all upset and hateful over. Threads like this are just sad. And, well, kinda evil too.

God loves Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals and all the other denominations just the same, because the root of all of those is Him! Whichever people choose to be shouldn't be a source of anger and hate from another person just because they aren't the same denomination. That is so ridiculous, and in my opinion, its a sin.

Seeing all this judgement from people who claim to be Christian and aren't supposed to judge, makes me profoundly sad. No wonder the Church as a whole is losing the battle of our nation. We're too busy arguing amongst ourselves to unite and agree on the most important issue of all, which is trying to be like Christ and walk in love!
Britney Mac

El Dorado, AR

#61 Apr 11, 2013
John 14:12 KJV

The words of Jesus:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

This has nothing to do with speaking in tongues, but it has everything to do with miraculous things. Jesus said these words to his Apostles, many of whom went on to perform miracles in Jesus' name.

From Acts Chapter 3:

4. Peter looked directly at him (as did John) and said,“Look at us!” 5. So the lame man paid attention to them, expecting to receive something from them. 6. But Peter said,“I have no silver or gold, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, stand up and walk!” 7. Then Peter took hold of him by the right hand and raised him up, and at once the man’s feet and ankles were made strong. 8. He jumped up, stood and began walking around, and he entered the temple courts with them, walking and leaping and praising God. 9. All the people saw him walking and praising God, 10. and they recognized him as the man who used to sit and ask for donations at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, and they were filled with astonishment and amazement at what had happened to him. 11. While the man was hanging on to Peter and John, all the people, completely astounded, ran together to him in the covered walkway...

12 When Peter saw this, he declared to the people,“Men of Israel, why are you amazed at this? Why do you stare at us as if we had made this man walk by our own power or piety? 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his servant Jesus, whom you handed over and rejected in the presence of Pilate after he had decided to release him.....

16 And on THE BASIS OF FAITH IN JESUS' NAME, His very name has made this man—whom you see and know—strong. The FAITH that is through Jesus has given him this complete health in the presence of you all.

John 14:12
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Faith in the Lord can do amazing things. That is what we should believe in and what we should focus on and agree on. Not a bunch of ridiculous, minute details to squabble over just to feel like we are right and everyone else is wrong. That is pride and ego, both which the Bible warns us against. The need to feel self-righteous and superior to fellow Christ-believers is a sin.

So please, stop your arguing. Its wrong. Christ bounds us all together no matter your choice of worship.
AGREE

El Dorado, AR

#62 Apr 11, 2013
Britney Mac wrote:
The words of Jesus:
This has nothing to do with speaking in tongues, but it has everything to do with miraculous things. Jesus said these words to his Apostles, many of whom went on to perform miracles in Jesus' name.
From Acts Chapter 3:
4. Peter looked directly at him (as did John) and said,“Look at us!” 5. So the lame man paid attention to them, expecting to receive something from them. 6. But Peter said,“I have no silver or gold, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, stand up and walk!” 7. Then Peter took hold of him by the right hand and raised him up, and at once the man’s feet and ankles were made strong. 8. He jumped up, stood and began walking around, and he entered the temple courts with them, walking and leaping and praising God. 9. All the people saw him walking and praising God, 10. and they recognized him as the man who used to sit and ask for donations at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, and they were filled with astonishment and amazement at what had happened to him. 11. While the man was hanging on to Peter and John, all the people, completely astounded, ran together to him in the covered walkway...
12 When Peter saw this, he declared to the people,“Men of Israel, why are you amazed at this? Why do you stare at us as if we had made this man walk by our own power or piety? 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his servant Jesus, whom you handed over and rejected in the presence of Pilate after he had decided to release him.....
16 And on THE BASIS OF FAITH IN JESUS' NAME, His very name has made this man—whom you see and know—strong. The FAITH that is through Jesus has given him this complete health in the presence of you all.
Faith in the Lord can do amazing things. That is what we should believe in and what we should focus on and agree on. Not a bunch of ridiculous, minute details to squabble over just to feel like we are right and everyone else is wrong. That is pride and ego, both which the Bible warns us against. The need to feel self-righteous and superior to fellow Christ-believers is a sin.
So please, stop your arguing. Its wrong. Christ bounds us all together no matter your choice of worship.
My goodness someone finally speaking sense. These people are like "I'm the RIGHT kind of Christian and you're the WRONG kind of Christian." Its plain evil and against everything Christ stood for. You make such good points. We should be united by Christ, not divided in pride.
I Love Jesus

El Dorado, AR

#63 Apr 11, 2013
Britney Mac wrote:
I can't believe people who claim to be Christians are getting so pissed over such trivial things! Paul had a lot to say about Christians squabbling amongst themselves over semantics and choice of rituals.
Shouldn't the bottom line be THE LOVE OF CHRIST? Does that not unite all Christians, no matter their denomination?
I don't care if people speak in tongues and believe in prophecy or if they go to mass and kneel and listen to services in Latin. Belief in Christ unties all churches no matter the insignificant and small details that all of you seem to get all upset and hateful over. Threads like this are just sad. And, well, kinda evil too.
God loves Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals and all the other denominations just the same, because the root of all of those is Him! Whichever people choose to be shouldn't be a source of anger and hate from another person just because they aren't the same denomination. That is so ridiculous, and in my opinion, its a sin.
Seeing all this judgement from people who claim to be Christian and aren't supposed to judge, makes me profoundly sad. No wonder the Church as a whole is losing the battle of our nation. We're too busy arguing amongst ourselves to unite and agree on the most important issue of all, which is trying to be like Christ and walk in love!
Preach it sista! Or Brotha!
In his peace

Camden, AR

#64 Apr 13, 2013
Britney Mac wrote:
The words of Jesus:
From Acts Chapter 3:
Now just take that no judgement policy and apply it to those of us who don't believe in Jesus remembering the words of your god we have free will to choose him or not. We are not to come to him by force but by the power of his grace. Leave us in his peace if not our own please. Americans need to discuss shared values not shared religion as we try to agree on public policy. You all can hash out church doctrine amongst yourselves as you like hopefully with better success than the Irish.
Another ElDo Guy

El Dorado, AR

#65 Apr 21, 2013
Biblically_Litte rate: The I Cor 14:34-35 reference; too funny. I chuckled out loud at that one. But if we throw that chapter out then the rest of the Bible is OK? Does your church abide by this verse? I'd hope you wouldn't hold the rest of us to something you don't do either.
Is it OK to mention tongues if I only use 1 Cor. 12.
How about Mark 16? Or do you throw it out because of that note someone put in the bottom of your Bible? That note was written hundreds and hundreds of years after the book of Mark.
Acts 2: We can talk about it if we don't also mention 1 Cor 14? Or should we throw it out too?
OF course not, because that's what you're referencing in one of your posts: ""Tongues, meaning language" in the bible was a power given to "certain" apostles in order to spread The Word."
Where do you get that this was for "certain" apostles? I'm looking for a scriptural reference that says it was given to only "certain" people and can't find that.
BTW: you misquote 1 Cor. 14 when you posted "Not just one interpreter but "two or more"" Not interpreters, but tongues. Paul is saying there should be no more than two or three tongues in a service. Earlier in that same chapter he says the person giving the tongues should pray that he can interpret. But if not that person, then one interpret. The point being that there shouldn't be tongues just for the sake of tongues in a church service. There should be an interpretation to go with it.
Oh, but we threw that chapter out because of verses 34&35! LOL.
BTW: Do you know that they didn't write the books of the Bible with chapters and verses? That was added hundreds and hundreds of years later by Western men.
Another ElDo Guy

El Dorado, AR

#66 Apr 21, 2013
Britney Mac: I greatly enjoyed reading your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Musicfest (Oct '14) 58 min Hornsby 13
Ashlynn Sisk 1 hr Ashlynn Sisk 3
Female Inmate 2 hr To granny 9
News Ex-deputy held on child porn charges 4 hr answer 42
Timberland health and Rehab. 5 hr Just curious 12
Wreck on Hwy 15 6 hr Billy 2
Union County Jail Inmate Pageant 13 hr Ugh 7

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance