actually

Lampasas, TX

#22 Jun 25, 2013
hummmmm wrote:
if you don't live in Norphlet then your tax money is not going there. There is alot of old money in Norphlet that will protect the school if need be. However, they did try to join with Smackover a few years back, and Smackover refused to a name and colors change, so Norphlet said nevermind--the thought behind that was to unite the kids--in stead of having hall fights. Norphlet then chose to go to El Dorado if they were ever forced to go anywhere, and yes there are homes for sale, but there is always at some point and time. And the few that I know of are from couples spliting up and old folks that have passed--not because of the school. And if the school closes I am sure that folks will pick smaller school to send their kids to--not El Dorado!!! Football should be last on the list of why, but sports and band are some of my best recalls from high school and had I gone to El Dorado I would have not gotten that. They want all the whites to move to El Dorado schools to get our taxes, because renters don't pay taxes or homestead homes from low income folks. El Dorado is dying a slow death--the select few rich folks are tring to make it a art town--HAHAHAHAHA! How about making jobs instead of spending our taxes on crap like a trolly, Murphy complex, making the entrances pretty. Sorry wrong topic, but it burns my ass. Because all our kids will have to move from this town to find work just to live. That should be what we should all be working on--JOBS!!!!
The festival/entertainment industry was the second highest revenue generating industry in the US the last 3 consecutive years. Revenue produces jobs. Festivals and entertainment needs must be met by entrepreneurs. If our local graduates don't move back to take advantage of this, someone else will. It is evident you have no knowledge, education, or experience in community development.
fact

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Jun 25, 2013
hummmmm wrote:
if you don't live in Norphlet then your tax money is not going there. There is alot of old money in Norphlet that will protect the school if need be. However, they did try to join with Smackover a few years back, and Smackover refused to a name and colors change, so Norphlet said nevermind--the thought behind that was to unite the kids--in stead of having hall fights. Norphlet then chose to go to El Dorado if they were ever forced to go anywhere, and yes there are homes for sale, but there is always at some point and time. And the few that I know of are from couples spliting up and old folks that have passed--not because of the school. And if the school closes I am sure that folks will pick smaller school to send their kids to--not El Dorado!!! Football should be last on the list of why, but sports and band are some of my best recalls from high school and had I gone to El Dorado I would have not gotten that. They want all the whites to move to El Dorado schools to get our taxes, because renters don't pay taxes or homestead homes from low income folks. El Dorado is dying a slow death--the select few rich folks are tring to make it a art town--HAHAHAHAHA! How about making jobs instead of spending our taxes on crap like a trolly, Murphy complex, making the entrances pretty. Sorry wrong topic, but it burns my ass. Because all our kids will have to move from this town to find work just to live. That should be what we should all be working on--JOBS!!!!
I am the home selling business. I know that these a couple of these houses are for sale because they do not want their kids in Norphlet school district and for no other reason. People willing to sell their home and move are people serious about what they want for their children. There are others that thought about selling but instead are going to put their kids in pc. This is fact call pc school district if you do not believe this post
truth

Athens, AL

#24 Jun 25, 2013
RichardSimmons wrote:
I heard all the Norphlet coaches were homosexuals.
No they are not cause they all sleep with the teachers!
Ipp

El Dorado, AR

#25 Jun 25, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
The festival/entertainment industry was the second highest revenue generating industry in the US the last 3 consecutive years. Revenue produces jobs. Festivals and entertainment needs must be met by entrepreneurs. If our local graduates don't move back to take advantage of this, someone else will. It is evident you have no knowledge, education, or experience in community development.
Its wonderful that El Do gets a good amount of money from our festivals and the art center and things of that sort but the idea that the income from those things will generate jobs outside of that singular spectrum is absurd. Most of those jobs impermanent. In addition, El Do is focused solely on retail, something that any town can only support so much of considering both population and average income.

I don't think trying to become a festival hub for South Arkansas is a joke. I think its great and something to be taken seriously. But it would be even greater if our town officials had any concern for more permanent, practical jobs which really grow a town - and the word for that is industry. Industry seems to be a "dirty word" when it comes to town funded/hunted job creation.

If our officials spent the same amount of time, money and resources on industry I believe El Dorado would have bounced back leaps and bounds more than it has by now.

Concerning Norphlet - Let me first say that if I had kids I would never, ever ever ever ever send them to PC or Norphlet. Both schools have a decent but, key word here- restricted education. EHS has way more to offer in every area of academics as well as clubs and sports. Besides, most people know whats up about PC. That place is a cesspool.

We can all fantasize about what would happen if the white EHS kids were compared to the nearly all-white schools of PC and Norphlet. Those sorts of stats will never come out. It would be far too politically incorrect and if we were to put our real names on here even suggesting such a thing we would undeniably be personally attacked all day every day by the far reaching left. There may be a ton of statistical research that shows the higher the % of minorities at a school, the worse they do on national standardized measures of literacy and mathematics, but brining up those facts is "just wrong" and treated as fiction. I'm digressing....

Point is, because those kinds of statistics (white on white or better yet- top ten % comparisons) will never be listed next to the ACTAAP official measures of literacy and math used nationwide, it still stands that schools like PC and Norphlet technically and statistically rank higher than EHS in education. Many parents will convince themselves that their child stands a better chance with education at a higher ranking school. I think a lot of parents also like the racial makeup of these "all white" schools, not realizing what their kids are missing out on with a school that offers as much as EHS does. So it both makes sense and doesn't make sense that a parent would want their kid at a school like PC or Norphlet. I think what matters to the parents is their own perception of the pros and cons.

JMO
Disser

El Dorado, AR

#26 Jun 25, 2013
hummmmm wrote:
Want to know something good about Norphlet AND EHS? Neither are Parkers Chapel.

Decades of unwed mothers = weird.
actually

Mount Vernon, AR

#27 Jun 25, 2013
Ipp wrote:
<quoted text> Its wonderful that El Do gets a good amount of money from our festivals and the art center and things of that sort but the idea that the income from those things will generate jobs outside of that singular spectrum is absurd. Most of those jobs impermanent. In addition, El Do is focused solely on retail, something that any town can only support so much of considering both population and average income.
I don't think trying to become a festival hub for South Arkansas is a joke. I think its great and something to be taken seriously. But it would be even greater if our town officials had any concern for more permanent, practical jobs which really grow a town - and the word for that is industry. Industry seems to be a "dirty word" when it comes to town funded/hunted job creation.
If our officials spent the same amount of time, money and resources on industry I believe El Dorado would have bounced back leaps and bounds more than it has by now.
Concerning Norphlet - Let me first say that if I had kids I would never, ever ever ever ever send them to PC or Norphlet. Both schools have a decent but, key word here- restricted education. EHS has way more to offer in every area of academics as well as clubs and sports. Besides, most people know whats up about PC. That place is a cesspool.
We can all fantasize about what would happen if the white EHS kids were compared to the nearly all-white schools of PC and Norphlet. Those sorts of stats will never come out. It would be far too politically incorrect and if we were to put our real names on here even suggesting such a thing we would undeniably be personally attacked all day every day by the far reaching left. There may be a ton of statistical research that shows the higher the % of minorities at a school, the worse they do on national standardized measures of literacy and mathematics, but brining up those facts is "just wrong" and treated as fiction. I'm digressing....
Point is, because those kinds of statistics (white on white or better yet- top ten % comparisons) will never be listed next to the ACTAAP official measures of literacy and math used nationwide, it still stands that schools like PC and Norphlet technically and statistically rank higher than EHS in education. Many parents will convince themselves that their child stands a better chance with education at a higher ranking school. I think a lot of parents also like the racial makeup of these "all white" schools, not realizing what their kids are missing out on with a school that offers as much as EHS does. So it both makes sense and doesn't make sense that a parent would want their kid at a school like PC or Norphlet. I think what matters to the parents is their own perception of the pros and cons.
JMO
Do you fail to see that revenue creates permanent jobs? That's what companies use to signify the size of their business. Festival revenue will create a variety of shops and small businesses. Retail will be one, though volatile. Hence the high turnover. But you fail to see the variety it will bring. I suggest you to visit Nashville, TN, New Orleans, suburbs of Dallas, Chicago, etc. High volume industry that contributes to pollutant chemicals does not grow a town. It provides jobs to a blue-collar workforce. That is not what we need. We have that, with vacant jobs already available. What this town needs is what our officials are working toward. How cab you be so narrow-minded?
actually

Mount Vernon, AR

#28 Jun 25, 2013
fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I am the home selling business. I know that these a couple of these houses are for sale because they do not want their kids in Norphlet school district and for no other reason. People willing to sell their home and move are people serious about what they want for their children. There are others that thought about selling but instead are going to put their kids in pc. This is fact call pc school district if you do not believe this post
It's apparent you are not in the home selling business, or people should avoid using you. No person in their right mind bases their most significant asset they'll ever own solely on the local school district. You just proved yourself to be a moron.

People living in Norphlet are already sending their kids to Smackocer and EHS. Unlike PC, which is delaying their inevitable annexation into the El Dorado School District. And using one year of good elementary testing results? Does nobody else find this pathetic?
Caren

Pine Bluff, AR

#29 Jun 25, 2013
Hmmm
RealDeal

El Dorado, AR

#31 Jun 25, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you fail to see that revenue creates permanent jobs? That's what companies use to signify the size of their business. Festival revenue will create a variety of shops and small businesses. Retail will be one, though volatile. Hence the high turnover. But you fail to see the variety it will bring. I suggest you to visit Nashville, TN, New Orleans, suburbs of Dallas, Chicago, etc. High volume industry that contributes to pollutant chemicals does not grow a town. It provides jobs to a blue-collar workforce. That is not what we need. We have that, with vacant jobs already available. What this town needs is what our officials are working toward. How cab you be so narrow-minded?
See people, there is a word for what happens when you take a bunch of really poor people, most (but not all) of them black, and stick them with a bunch of white people who all make over 100k/yr per person.

Its called El Dorado. And clearly, its f****d up.

I'm forgetting something... oh, yes, you must add two more things. First is the fact that there are more black ppl than white ppl and according to our poverty rate we are more or less a welfare town (add in a bunch of crappy white people and subtract a few awesome & dedicated black people for this part). Second you have to factor in the handful of extremely wealthy mega, mega millionaire to billionaire families that have enough pull in a town with around only 20,000 people to have a President of the United States come here during re-election and broadcast. But I'm sure Bush wasn't going to ask anyone for campaign money or anything like that! So anyway you figure in those people who only live here probably half the time at most and accept the fact that they control nearly everything that goes on here concerning politics, law and business. If you aren't kissing some rich guy's ass, you aren't going to be special. Sorry.

So yeah add all that crap together and BAM! Instant El Dorado. I bet if other small towns around America were asked, they'd all want to be just like us!

Anyone heard of that game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Well here its Six Degrees of Murphy USA.
chuckem

El Dorado, AR

#32 Jun 26, 2013
Obama has been the most divisive, inept, divider, job destroying President. I was middle class with a job and now find myself in no class without a job.
Eldocat

El Dorado, AR

#34 Jun 26, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
It's apparent you are not in the home selling business, or people should avoid using you. No person in their right mind bases their most significant asset they'll ever own solely on the local school district. You just proved yourself to be a moron.
People living in Norphlet are already sending their kids to Smackocer and EHS. Unlike PC, which is delaying their inevitable annexation into the El Dorado School District. And using one year of good elementary testing results? Does nobody else find this pathetic?
PC tests scores have been in the top 10 for over 10 consecutive years, so it's more than "one year" of good e;ementary scores. Face it, EHS is a very low scoring school based on state wide comparisons. Blame it on whatever you want, but it is a FACT.

If the education at El DO was so great, then coupled with the Murphy Promise, the population of El Dorado should be exploding. But it's not. And local people know about all the issues around EHS. That is why county schools are not sending their kids to EHS to cash in on free college. It's just not worth it to them. They would rather pay for their college, and have their kids safe at school.

El Dorado will dry up in the next 10 years, because our leaders have no balls. Retail is not the answer, nor is building your economic future on arts and festivals. We need industry, plain and simple. Doesn't have to be chemical plants, but some sort of industry where a man can take his family and provide a decent living for them. But we are heading in the wrong direction, and we better do something fast.

oh well

El Dorado, AR

#37 Jun 26, 2013
Eldocat wrote:
<quoted text>
PC tests scores have been in the top 10 for over 10 consecutive years, so it's more than "one year" of good e;ementary scores. Face it, EHS is a very low scoring school based on state wide comparisons. Blame it on whatever you want, but it is a FACT.
If the education at El DO was so great, then coupled with the Murphy Promise, the population of El Dorado should be exploding. But it's not. And local people know about all the issues around EHS. That is why county schools are not sending their kids to EHS to cash in on free college. It's just not worth it to them. They would rather pay for their college, and have their kids safe at school.
El Dorado will dry up in the next 10 years, because our leaders have no balls. Retail is not the answer, nor is building your economic future on arts and festivals. We need industry, plain and simple. Doesn't have to be chemical plants, but some sort of industry where a man can take his family and provide a decent living for them. But we are heading in the wrong direction, and we better do something fast.
I agree, retail only kills other retail in a town like Eldo , 10 years and we will be looking at tumble weeds blowing across northwest ave.
wrong

Oklahoma City, OK

#39 Jun 26, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>It's apparent you are not in the home selling business, or people should avoid using you. No person in their right mind bases their most significant asset they'll ever own solely on the local school district. You just proved yourself to be a moron.

Valuable asset is their kid idiot. A home a material item. Sell one house buy a better one how is that a bad decision. People with money can do that and will do that.
Redneck

El Dorado, AR

#40 Jun 26, 2013
ALL these comments are from "ONE" ignotantAzzHomosexual. Have you seriously ever saw a MF thisStupid?
Wow

Oklahoma City, OK

#42 Jun 29, 2013
You guys are jerks. That is all.
Shocker

El Dorado, AR

#43 Jun 29, 2013
Redneck wrote:
ALL these comments are from "ONE" ignotantAzzHomosexual. Have you seriously ever saw a MF thisStupid?
Yep, many times and they come out of the woodwork to profess EHS in the godsent school in this miserable state. Everyone thinks their school school is better than the other, in reality they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Not being from this area I get a kick out of the EHS jacklegs riding their high horse and putting down all the county schools and then showing their racism by wanting to exclude the black students scores. Time for a new mascot EHS. I'm sure there are plenty of smart AA's at the school.
actually

Newbern, TN

#44 Jul 1, 2013
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Valuable asset is their kid idiot. A home a material item. Sell one house buy a better one how is that a bad decision. People with money can do that and will do that.
Yes, you are wrong. Kids are not ethically viewed as an asset, dumbass. If this is your line of thinking, Kay God have mercy on the souls of anyone that claims to be an offspring of your's. Buying and/or selling a house is not that simple. Taking a loss on a house to further your debt obligation in another is a terrible decision. Ask anyone that has in the past 4 years.
actually

Newbern, TN

#45 Jul 1, 2013
Eldocat wrote:
<quoted text>
PC scores have not been in the top 10 for the past 10 years. Starting your argument with a fabrication negates any point that you thought you made. Try again.
actually

Newbern, TN

#46 Jul 1, 2013
RealDeal wrote:
<quoted text> See people, there is a word for what happens when you take a bunch of really poor people, most (but not all) of them black, and stick them with a bunch of white people who all make over 100k/yr per person.
Its called El Dorado. And clearly, its f****d up.
I'm forgetting something... oh, yes, you must add two more things. First is the fact that there are more black ppl than white ppl and according to our poverty rate we are more or less a welfare town (add in a bunch of crappy white people and subtract a few awesome & dedicated black people for this part). Second you have to factor in the handful of extremely wealthy mega, mega millionaire to billionaire families that have enough pull in a town with around only 20,000 people to have a President of the United States come here during re-election and broadcast. But I'm sure Bush wasn't going to ask anyone for campaign money or anything like that! So anyway you figure in those people who only live here probably half the time at most and accept the fact that they control nearly everything that goes on here concerning politics, law and business. If you aren't kissing some rich guy's ass, you aren't going to be special. Sorry.
So yeah add all that crap together and BAM! Instant El Dorado. I bet if other small towns around America were asked, they'd all want to be just like us!
Anyone heard of that game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Well here its Six Degrees of Murphy USA.
You are 100% correct. So how about the wealthy people stop contributing to the community, and we start depending on the welfare recipients? We could be like Camden!

Or we can accept the fact that our mommies should have taught us: life isn't fair! Be greatful that wealthy companies and families are investing in our schools, infrastructure, roads, and quality of life. Do you want the Fed government to decide? It did with interstates, which has put us in the predicament El Dorado is in (lack of easy travel access = low real estate value).
Duh

El Dorado, AR

#47 Jul 1, 2013
actually wrote:
<quoted text>
You are 100% correct. So how about the wealthy people stop contributing to the community, and we start depending on the welfare recipients? We could be like Camden!
Or we can accept the fact that our mommies should have taught us: life isn't fair! Be greatful that wealthy companies and families are investing in our schools, infrastructure, roads, and quality of life. Do you want the Fed government to decide? It did with interstates, which has put us in the predicament El Dorado is in (lack of easy travel access = low real estate value).
Funny you say that because el dorado real estate is way higher than it should be for an area like ours. The pop decline should've made it dirt cheap. The absurd inflation has nothing to do with road access. What a crazy ridiculous excuse you just made up for yourself. I'm glad those families donate so much to the town too because if they didn't we would be even worse off. But my gosh if everything done in to town isn't for those people or with their permission. If a handful of people weren't dictating every move we make maybe we would be better off, focusing on job creation instead of desperate and futile attempts to make us a party town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 23 min guest 30,033
elections 1 hr Grandpa at 8 8
Unhappily married 1 hr Bubba 8
Hang out with people UR own age 3 hr EldoMasterBlaster 10
Eric Smith 6 hr West 4
large dope growing inside house at 593 old cali... 13 hr Poyn 3
they all look alike!!! 19 hr True 3
El Dorado Dating
Find my Match

El Dorado Jobs