First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Realistic

El Dorado, AR

#1 May 12, 2010
There is so much hype on here about the Sheriff's race. What about the Mayor's race? That is pretty important too. I am leaning toward Luther Lewis, as I feel his background in the management of our local hospital for a number of years will be a valuable asset. He brought us a wonderful heart and vascular department, which has benefited many in our area. He cares about our community!
info to ponder

Waterloo, Canada

#2 May 12, 2010
Realistic wrote:
There is so much hype on here about the Sheriff's race. What about the Mayor's race? That is pretty important too. I am leaning toward Luther Lewis, as I feel his background in the management of our local hospital for a number of years will be a valuable asset. He brought us a wonderful heart and vascular department, which has benefited many in our area. He cares about our community!
Funny, I just posted about him on another topic that you are fond of.

So besides his experience you listed above... Have you heard any of his speeches?? He says the same thing over and over. None of it has to do with what he is going to do for El Dorado. I firmly believe with all my heart that he doesn't even want the job. He is no where that I always see Clara and Yancey at. I have hear d the three speak several times. Yancey and Clara have plans, they are passionate. They both see the problems ALL over El Dorado. Luther has nothing on those two. I honestly think absolutely nothing will change if he is elected. Personally, I'm voting for Yancey Kyle. However, Clara will make a good mayor too!
cacky

El Dorado, AR

#3 May 12, 2010
Clara Jones has class, and El Dorado needs someone who can deal comfortably and intelligently with mayors and lawmakers all over the country as well as with all the good ole boys around here. Let's try having a woman in the mayor's office and see what happens!
contradiction

United States

#4 May 12, 2010
cacky wrote:
Clara Jones has class, and El Dorado needs someone who can deal comfortably and intelligently with mayors and lawmakers all over the country as well as with all the good ole boys around here. Let's try having a woman in the mayor's office and see what happens!
Do you honestly think Clara knows how to relate to the country folks who make up the huge majority of our community? Clara is respectable but do you really think she can relate to us common people? Luther's only interaction with poor folks is when he is evicting them from his rent houses. Neither of them know what it is like to try to get by. They are both from the same area of town and surround themselves with the same old money that has run this town for far too long. If you expect anything different than what we have had for the last 20 years, then vote for Yancey.
HISTORY BUFF

El Dorado, AR

#5 May 12, 2010
Luther and clara both want to build a better Eldorado. I don't think either one has ever built even a dog house. Frank is a flake, so that leaves us only Yancy and Benito they are the best choices.
Mayors

Lake Village, AR

#6 May 13, 2010
Recently heard that some candidate (s) were in favor of Cap and Trade....I wonder if there is any truth to that?? Do you know where your candidate stands?
connect the dots

Pine Bluff, AR

#7 May 13, 2010
Mayors wrote:
Recently heard that some candidate (s) were in favor of Cap and Trade....I wonder if there is any truth to that?? Do you know where your candidate stands?
Well, since Richard and Vertis both said Cap and Trade was "really not going to damage us" and they both have Clara Jones stickers on their cars, that's about the only connection any of the candidates for mayor have to this legislation. I think Yancey and Luther are both against it. Luther has to be because all the oil folks (Sewell, Murphy, etc.)are funding his campaign.
Mayors

Lake Village, AR

#8 May 13, 2010
Just an important topic for consideration. Like it or not Cap n Trade would be the surefire death of El Dorado. You lose the refinery and Camden is a metropolis compared to what would happen we know all about the other closings.
Election Day Voter

El Dorado, AR

#9 May 17, 2010
HISTORY BUFF wrote:
Luther and clara both want to build a better Eldorado. I don't think either one has ever built even a dog house. Frank is a flake, so that leaves us only Yancy and Benito they are the best choices.
If we needed a Dancing Bear to be our Mayor, Benito would win hands down, but Yancey would probably take close second. My guess is that Clara and Luther don't know how to bust a move ... they prolly only know how to bust their bottoms. Since it's not about Dancing, Yancey Kyle is the person I plan to vote for tomorrow when I go to the fair grounds to vote.
I agree

United States

#10 May 18, 2010
contradiction wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you honestly think Clara knows how to relate to the country folks who make up the huge majority of our community? Clara is respectable but do you really think she can relate to us common people? Luther's only interaction with poor folks is when he is evicting them from his rent houses. Neither of them know what it is like to try to get by. They are both from the same area of town and surround themselves with the same old money that has run this town for far too long. If you expect anything different than what we have had for the last 20 years, then vote for Yancey.
Your right, if you want something different and you vote for Yancy you will definitely get something different. You will get a city that will go bankrupt just like he has done with his personal life. El Dorado has enough problems without adding to them by putting Yancey in the Mayor seat.
Smackover

El Dorado, AR

#11 May 18, 2010
I think the eldo folks need some Smackover common sense, so you need to vote for Smackover's own Wonder Boy - Yancey
tar log

El Dorado, AR

#12 May 18, 2010
there is NO way I will vote for Chris Luther
Tammany

El Dorado, AR

#13 May 18, 2010
Luther is being criticized for his lack of ideas, but most are in general agreement that he possesses the administrative chops to be mayor. My question is, what good are ideas if you can't work with the council to get them passed? Luther is the only candidate with mayor-type experience. Yancey may have tons of ideas on drainage, streets, improving the 3rd ward...but there are only 2 aldermen from Ward 2. 2 votes does not an ordinance pass. My theory is that Yancey does not have the rapport with the Council to get things done. I like the prospect of young leadership, but being a good mayor is not all about ideas.

Just because Luther is the worst at debates doesn't mean he'll be a bad mayor. He's not the perfect candidate but I believe he's the best of the bunch.

Clara has a chance to win but her lack of experience puts her at a disadvantage. I think a woman mayor would be a nice change for El Dorado but I worry about her management style and ability to work with a council. With the Mason's being her major-backer, she automatically loses credibility from a lot of the town and most of the city council.

The most exciting part to this election, is that one could reasonably forsee a scenario where Luther and Clara split the establishment vote, and Yancey win the rest. But that's unlikely.

I agree

United States

#14 May 18, 2010
Tammany wrote:
Luther is being criticized for his lack of ideas, but most are in general agreement that he possesses the administrative chops to be mayor. My question is, what good are ideas if you can't work with the council to get them passed? Luther is the only candidate with mayor-type experience. Yancey may have tons of ideas on drainage, streets, improving the 3rd ward...but there are only 2 aldermen from Ward 2. 2 votes does not an ordinance pass. My theory is that Yancey does not have the rapport with the Council to get things done. I like the prospect of young leadership, but being a good mayor is not all about ideas.
Just because Luther is the worst at debates doesn't mean he'll be a bad mayor. He's not the perfect candidate but I believe he's the best of the bunch.
Clara has a chance to win but her lack of experience puts her at a disadvantage. I think a woman mayor would be a nice change for El Dorado but I worry about her management style and ability to work with a council. With the Mason's being her major-backer, she automatically loses credibility from a lot of the town and most of the city council.
The most exciting part to this election, is that one could reasonably forsee a scenario where Luther and Clara split the establishment vote, and Yancey win the rest. But that's unlikely.
Vote for who is best for the position, not whether they are male or female
Tammany

El Dorado, AR

#15 May 18, 2010
I agree wrote:
<quoted text>Vote for who is best for the position, not whether they are male or female
That was your reply to my post? Sheesh. I know it was more than a few lines, but at least read the thing before commenting.
JustSayin

United States

#16 May 18, 2010
I personally don't understand why more emphasis wasn't put on this mayoral election. We have a lot to consider with our next mayor. And just because a person SAYS they can create jobs doesn't result in a track record. I'm ashamed that we may elect the wrong person because we were to focused on who was better the old guy or the young guy for sheriff.
Pollo Supremo

Monticello, AR

#17 May 18, 2010
Tammany wrote:
<quoted text>
That was your reply to my post? Sheesh. I know it was more than a few lines, but at least read the thing before commenting.
I read the whole post that you made, and both responses. This one was a little uncalled for. Yes it was not exactly in line with your lengthy post, but I felt it was more of an additional remark. Kind of like backing you up and adding their two cents to a well thought out and well spoken post. As an additional remark it made sense. This is just my opinion.
Tammany

El Dorado, AR

#18 May 18, 2010
El Dorado has never had a woman mayor. Seems to me a change (in this case) is sometimes good...if the candidate is qualified...which I don't think this one is. That's all I meant by it.

Regardless, Luther is the most qualified, and if he doesn't win I'll be surprised.
Tammany

El Dorado, AR

#19 May 18, 2010
Tammany wrote:
Luther is being criticized for his lack of ideas, but most are in general agreement that he possesses the administrative chops to be mayor. My question is, what good are ideas if you can't work with the council to get them passed? Luther is the only candidate with mayor-type experience. Yancey may have tons of ideas on drainage, streets, improving the 3rd ward...but there are only 2 aldermen from Ward 2. 2 votes does not an ordinance pass. My theory is that Yancey does not have the rapport with the Council to get things done. I like the prospect of young leadership, but being a good mayor is not all about ideas.
Just because Luther is the worst at debates doesn't mean he'll be a bad mayor. He's not the perfect candidate but I believe he's the best of the bunch.
Clara has a chance to win but her lack of experience puts her at a disadvantage. I think a woman mayor would be a nice change for El Dorado but I worry about her management style and ability to work with a council. With the Mason's being her major-backer, she automatically loses credibility from a lot of the town and most of the city council.
The most exciting part to this election, is that one could reasonably forsee a scenario where Luther and Clara split the establishment vote, and Yancey win the rest. But that's unlikely.
Meant to say Ward 3. You get my point...
I agree

United States

#20 May 18, 2010
Smackover wrote:
I think the eldo folks need some Smackover common sense, so you need to vote for Smackover's own Wonder Boy - Yancey
Yancey a wonder boy, you are right, he is a BOY and we are wondering about him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing person 11 min keep on believing 27
Main Street/festivals and events 18 min Swinger 3
Human error in a nuclear facility nearly destro... 53 min EldoMasterBlaster 10
Fact or fiction? Rascals and elm st bakery clos... 58 min EldoMasterBlaster 33
Though it got bumped, Tonya V remains in local ... 4 hr liar 22
Our Walmart 4 hr Have to agree 3
Eldorado man arrested for battery (Jan '15) 4 hr umm 44

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages