the dead zone
TIMBUCKTU

Tyler, TX

#3 Sep 7, 2008
"Home of the 1 cent sales tax."
handyman

Spring, TX

#4 Sep 7, 2008
The cleanest balls in South Arkansas-We Promise!
beats me

Huntsville, TX

#5 Sep 7, 2008
the home of tax hike mike

the city of tax and regress

home of tax you into prosperity

the good ole boys county
altar boy

Camden, AR

#6 Sep 8, 2008
commie land
Carl H

Tyler, TX

#7 Sep 8, 2008
handyman wrote:
The cleanest balls in South Arkansas-We Promise!
Handyman, Please do not take offense to this posting. I had thought that you understood that the elected officials, both city and state, know not what they do. They cannot be held accountable for their lack of intelligence or understanding as they have no real world understanding. Aside from maybe taking a vacation out of Arkansas, it is probably their only claim to fame. There are many slogans available: Welcome to the home lf air pollution. Welcome to the home of a very high cancer rate. Welcome to the home of a serious rate of HIV. Welcome to the home of questionable

medical care. Welcome to the home of no available shopping. Welcome to the home of taxation without adequate representation. Welcome to the home of nepotism in city/county hiring. And yes, the cleanest balls in South Arkansas. I could go on and on but there is actually no point in doing so. This is a way of life in this area and will not and cannot change until there is a wholesale house cleaning in both city and county government. My golly, some of these people actually believe that the UofA or the U of S Ark is the be all and end all of education. They equate medical availability to that of Johns Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic(s). They equate higher education to that of Harvard, Yale, or even the U of Delawre or the U of Maryland....It was not that long ago that the graduating law students could not pass the state bar...it was too hard for them. Rather than changing the educational standards they simply revised the bar exam. Handyman, care to comment on this posting? Carl
Carl H

Tyler, TX

#8 Sep 8, 2008
Please correct my previous posting to read from elected officials, both city and state to read elected officials, both city and county. Carl
handyman

Houston, TX

#9 Sep 8, 2008
Your slogans hit home in Eldo, and also a lot of other places. When I first came to Eldo, by way of a transfer, I called it a real "lack of culture shock." I had a secretary who commented how close to Canada I was going to be on a trip to Boston. When I pointed out several states north of Massachusetts she said "Oh, I didn't realize that." She had not been out of Arkansas in 15 years.
Now, in defense of a lot of people, state pride is a great thing, if handled with a touch of realism and thought. Therein lies the catch. Too many within the state have little understanding or actual experience in outside business dealings to be able to make informed choices. As in the case of the local government, what they've seen is what you get. Carl, I think you would agree, there is no teacher like experience.
Please explain

Banks, AR

#10 Sep 8, 2008
I agree with what the joker said in the first batman movie. "this town needs an enema" and a thorough colon cleansing for the county wouldn't hurt either.
Barry OlBomber

Hurricane, WV

#11 Sep 8, 2008
El Dorado, butthole of the south
Carl H

Tyler, TX

#12 Sep 8, 2008
handyman wrote:
Your slogans hit home in Eldo, and also a lot of other places. When I first came to Eldo, by way of a transfer, I called it a real "lack of culture shock." I had a secretary who commented how close to Canada I was going to be on a trip to Boston. When I pointed out several states north of Massachusetts she said "Oh, I didn't realize that." She had not been out of Arkansas in 15 years.
Now, in defense of a lot of people, state pride is a great thing, if handled with a touch of realism and thought. Therein lies the catch. Too many within the state have little understanding or actual experience in outside business dealings to be able to make informed choices. As in the case of the local government, what they've seen is what you get. Carl, I think you would agree, there is no teacher like experience.
Yes, experience is the best teacher, always was and always will be. Having said that I have found no one that will actually take my education and experience and take advantge of same. Basically they turn a deaf ear as if I were from a foreign country. When I do make a suggestion or comment it is only because I have already been there and done that. Perhaps they are are afraid of having their apple cart upset? Carl
Please explain

Wilmar, AR

#13 Sep 8, 2008
Unfortunately Carl, the powers that be have things just the way they want them. It wouldn't matter a bit if you were a world renowned expert they still wouldn't want to hear what you have to say. El Dorado Forward, but yet who from El Dorado has gotten or will get any of the upcoming work?
Carl H

Tyler, TX

#14 Sep 8, 2008
Please explain wrote:
Unfortunately Carl, the powers that be have things just the way they want them. It wouldn't matter a bit if you were a world renowned expert they still wouldn't want to hear what you have to say. El Dorado Forward, but yet who from El Dorado has gotten or will get any of the upcoming work?
Possibly friends of members of city council, the mayor, the county judge. As I have previoiusly stated why did the city purchase large trucks from other than the Mack truck dealer who has a business within the city limits, employs both city and county workers, pays both city and county taxes.....is the answer for favors back to the mayor? Of this I do not know and thus would not venture a guess or opinion. I let that to you.
Brian

El Dorado, AR

#15 Sep 8, 2008
Just an observation I wanted to make... Today, in this forum, I've now seen local officials lambasted because they used a local vendor, AND I've seen local officials lambasted because they DIDN'T use a local vendor.

For some reason, the phrase "no-win situation" comes to mind...
Please explain

Wilmar, AR

#16 Sep 8, 2008
Local official Brian? When the contracts are let for all of these "much needed" improvements see how many of the contracts go to a El Dorado or for that matter Union County contractor. When big equipment is bought does it come from an El Dorado business? I guess the local government needs someone to stick up for them.
Brian

El Dorado, AR

#17 Sep 8, 2008
Hey, I have no dog in this fight. I'm just making an observation. You couldn't pay me enough to be a local official. But the fact remains that, when it comes to parsing out work or equipment or what have you to local vendors, they are danged if they do, and they are danged if they don't.
Osborne

El Dorado, AR

#18 Sep 8, 2008
If it helps, I know the Sheriff purchases all his cars locally.
Tom

Saint Albans, WV

#19 Sep 8, 2008
The only decent thing about contractors coming from outside the area is that it throws some new money into our local economy. They got to spend some money while they are here.

Since: Sep 08

BF Egypt

#20 Sep 8, 2008
Barry OlBomber wrote:
El Dorado, butthole of the south
No Camden is the butthole of South Arkansas.
What comes out of the butthole lands in El Dorado.
BOOM-TOWN
DOOM-TOWN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clean harbors 1 hr Robin 6
Poll Favorite ElDo restaurant (May '10) 3 hr SmackoverChuck 62
PC construction and drop off line 3 hr Parkerschapelcham... 50
best docs to work for in town! 16 hr Walking On Sunshine 36
Hot shots 21 hr reality check 113
Tonight. Tue Prayerwarrior 22
Hotshot girls Tue Shane 23

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance