Monitor

El Dorado, AR

#1 Nov 6, 2012
To all of you who constantly complain about our gas prices being so much higher than everywhere else, check this out.

Today in El Dorado you can find gas as low as $3.26 a gallon.

The national average as of this morning is $3.46.

QUIT WHINING!
Sommersby

Olive Branch, MS

#2 Nov 6, 2012
You think this time evens things out? It's still cheaper all around us. You have to ask how can it be more expensive right where it's made than where it has to be trucked in. Only answer is the local gas cartel. Also, how is it that every station in town that sells gas either goes up or goes down within a fifteen minute time span?

Now, go hump someone else's leg mutt face.
Jack

United States

#3 Nov 6, 2012
Sommersby wrote:
You think this time evens things out? It's still cheaper all around us. You have to ask how can it be more expensive right where it's made than where it has to be trucked in. Only answer is the local gas cartel. Also, how is it that every station in town that sells gas either goes up or goes down within a fifteen minute time span?
Now, go hump someone else's leg mutt face.
That's how gas prices work everywhere, not just in El Dorado.
sick

El Dorado, AR

#4 Nov 7, 2012
Sommersby wrote:
You think this time evens things out? It's still cheaper all around us. You have to ask how can it be more expensive right where it's made than where it has to be trucked in. Only answer is the local gas cartel. Also, how is it that every station in town that sells gas either goes up or goes down within a fifteen minute time span?
Now, go hump someone else's leg mutt face.
same reason as everything else you buy ( Cigarettes, Beer, Food, Clothes) It is called competition!
Sommersby

Olive Branch, MS

#5 Nov 7, 2012
sick wrote:
<quoted text>
same reason as everything else you buy ( Cigarettes, Beer, Food, Clothes) It is called competition!
I call bull. Gas has always been higher here than around us. How can you possibly explain how something can be more expensive right where it's made versus having to be trucked to other towns? Also, what is your explanation on how gas prices can go up city wide within fifteen minutes of each other. If it's competition, station "A" selling gas for a dime cheaper is naturally going to sell more gas than station "B". You can't explain it unless you take into account the cartel putting out word that everyone must either go up or down immediately. I refuse to believe that it is any other way. Other retail markets don't work that way and you know it. Just because brookshire's may go up on chicken, that doesn't mean that wal mart is going to immediately up their chicken prices to match brookshires.
Nope

El Dorado, AR

#6 Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, but gas prices change that way in EVERY market, not just here. So it's not some crazy El Dorado phenomenon.
gas my a**

United States

#7 Nov 9, 2012
Blame Sewell oil there the distributor of the gas hell has a place for him sorry bastard
another possibility

United States

#8 Nov 10, 2012
Sommersby wrote:
<quoted text>
I call bull. Gas has always been higher here than around us. How can you possibly explain how something can be more expensive right where it's made versus having to be trucked to other towns? Also, what is your explanation on how gas prices can go up city wide within fifteen minutes of each other. If it's competition, station "A" selling gas for a dime cheaper is naturally going to sell more gas than station "B". You can't explain it unless you take into account the cartel putting out word that everyone must either go up or down immediately. I refuse to believe that it is any other way. Other retail markets don't work that way and you know it. Just because brookshire's may go up on chicken, that doesn't mean that wal mart is going to immediately up their chicken prices to match brookshires.
You don't know how business works. Distributors don't come up with a new price for every single customer based upon how many miles away they are. Their price is their price and they work costs into that price so that they're covered. Can yu imagine the administrative nightmare? "Oh, you're 32 miles away, so your price is a dollar. But you, you're 36 miles away so we're gonna charge you more. " That's not how business works!! TAke your brookshire's example. Do you think the chicken distributor charges different brookshires different prices based upon where they are? No, they don't! The stores pay the same.

Same with gas. And our market has less competition than Magnolia, so sometimes Magnolia's prices are lower. And yet we're still substantially lower than the national average. So QUIT WHINING!
none of the above

Marble Falls, TX

#9 Nov 10, 2012
You don't know how business works. Distributors don't come up with a new price for every single customer based upon how many miles away they are.

I understand your point however the Arkansas Democrat newspaper does or did a year or two ago. If you lived in an area that they defined as close to Little Rock, papers in the news rack were 25 cents cheaper than in outlying area and they cited transportation cost as the reason when i called them about it. I am not exactly into cost analysis but i would figure that gas was more here than other outlying towns is because the extra cost of transporting the product to outlying towns has to be recovered somewhere. We have more money on the average and will pay whatever we have to fill our SUV's and i have noticed the town is full of them. Not counting the fullsize pickup trucks so many folks are fond of. The reason i believe that the price all over town changes so rapidly , is word of mouth. If the price at one station is raised the others find out quickly and raise theirs too. Who wants to miss out on extra profits? Then when the price goes down others drop theirs because who wants to be the only station in town with the highest gas prices?
raped

Tyler, TX

#10 Nov 10, 2012
Gas in camden is $3.17 a gallon.....here in helldorado ...$3.25

Gas cartel is alive and well here....

One of the local gas cartel family members was overheard at the deer camp saying he wanted a new side by side....he said he would jack price up an extra cent a gallon and go buy one next week....
Fill r Up

El Dorado, AR

#11 Nov 13, 2012
$2.83 a gallon in Blytheville.
Dison

El Dorado, AR

#12 Nov 13, 2012
but people will still keep defending the cartel and saying it's just business. what a bunch of crap.

Since: Jun 09

El Dorado, AR

#13 Nov 13, 2012
It costs MORE to deliver a tanker of gas from El Dorado to another town than it does to deliver that same tanker to a station in El Dorado.
Dison

Olive Branch, MS

#14 Nov 13, 2012
EldoMasterBlaster wrote:
It costs MORE to deliver a tanker of gas from El Dorado to another town than it does to deliver that same tanker to a station in El Dorado.
My point exactly. Like living across the street from an ice cream factory and paying more for ice cream here than a town a hundred miles away for the same product.

We have just 3 or 4 people in this town that owns the gas tanks under the ground at all the service stations and these cartel members have a gentlemens agreement (if you can call the gentlemen) to stay together on gas price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr --Bad Dad-- 42,076
Town mystery (Jul '17) 8 hr Mean 16
Jobs (Aug '17) 8 hr Work 4
Mayor or City Manager, which works best? 8 hr Definitely 12
Hey guess what 11 hr Hash is trash 3
possession of firearm by certain person (Nov '11) Feb 11 chuckem 14
Global Business Institute - Feb. 8? Feb 7 Peter Greenberg Jr 3

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

El Dorado Mortgages