El Dorado Conference Center loses $35...
Bottom Line

El Dorado, AR

#21 Mar 21, 2014
It's a White Elephant and the tax payers are going to have bear the brunt of it's losses. No matter how you sugar coat El Dorado it's a fading town. You don't build a White Elephant in a fading town and expect it to be an accomplishment. "Build it and they will come" was nothing but an imaginary movie.
well

Chicago, IL

#23 Mar 21, 2014
The people planning for the festivals and events should work with the people who did the planning for the high school as opposed to the people who did the planning for the conference center.
Joel

Pine Bluff, AR

#24 Mar 21, 2014
The theatre district Is starting soon, Branson today....
Vegas we will be in the future. You all are just jealous of the progress our city is making and all the new industry and people moving to town.
We have over 50 mil in the bank from private donations. You will see it soon. We will boom better than we ever did in the oil boom days and it will be clean and Green, not like the old dirty technology of the past. Oil is yesterday and green is tomorrow and we all need to embrace it, it may cost us more but we will all be healthier and greener for it. We need to tax the dirty companies to pay for the green and the future. Gas is too inexpensive, it needs to be a lot higher to pay for our green future.
sos

El Dorado, AR

#25 Mar 21, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
From the very beginning, the conference center was to serve a dual purpose: host events and to house offices for the college. And from the very beginning, the college had agreed to cover all annual operating deficits up to $300,000 each year, and the city had agreed to split the expenses over $300,000. The situation *was* thought out.
Well truth in the numbers, something was not thought out completely or it would not be losing money, it would be making enough money to be in the black. We need more of the high end events there. And thought out plans for a large convention center would have included good plans for good sound system for any venue. It is not all on city though, we bring companies from out of town for all these jobs and so many have problems arise that should not soon after they are built. Maybe more through planning is what I should have said so that it could be used by many different groups who need good sound with their event.
Slick

Conway, AR

#26 Mar 22, 2014
Joel wrote:
Vegas we will be in the future. You all are just jealous of the progress our city is making and all the new industry and people moving to town.
We have over 50 mil in the bank from private donations. You will see it soon. We will boom better than we ever did in the oil boom days and it will be clean and Green, not like the old dirty technology of the past. Oil is yesterday and green is tomorrow and we all need to embrace it, it may cost us more but we will all be healthier and greener for it. We need to tax the dirty companies to pay for the green and the future. Gas is too inexpensive, it needs to be a lot higher to pay for our green future.
"people moving to town" ?

El Dorado has lost over 7,000 people in the last 30 years and has already lost 400 people since the 2010 census. Care to explain how "people moving to town" works into that equation ?

So when will you give up YOUR gasoline automobile, turn off your electricity, natural gas, cable/satellite television, turn off and sell your computer ?

But I doubt you'll even answer those questions. You liberals never do.
Truth

United States

#27 Mar 22, 2014
Naturally the cc members are looking for a outlet now some other party to cover the expenses for their stupidity and poor planning in the beginning. Building a facility that big and one that cost that much at the tax payers expense without adequate parking and a acoustics issue which is very important in any type of event with large crowds what a joke what a group of freaking morons running this city
Truth

United States

#28 Mar 22, 2014
All talk no written contracts in the beginning now the college is responsible what a fkng laugh
Truth

United States

#29 Mar 22, 2014
So the college agreed to $25000 a month hard to believe. The mayor and ECC made a stupid very expensive FU and it will never be profitable wo adequate parking and acoustics issues its really a laugh of any group of peoples stupidity
Slick

Conway, AR

#30 Mar 22, 2014
Truth wrote:
So the college agreed to $25000 a month hard to believe. The mayor and ECC made a stupid very expensive FU and it will never be profitable wo adequate parking and acoustics issues its really a laugh of any group of peoples stupidity
While the conference center drumbeaters will say that it costs the city about $25,000 more or less, the college has to foot the other $300,000 (or so). But its still tax money, yours, mine and a few million other residents of Arkansas.

Very poor planning combined with very poor management. You're absolutely, the CC will never turn a profit with the current contract and current management. Nothing more than a money pit from day 1
gooberman

El Dorado, AR

#31 Mar 22, 2014
Truth wrote:
Another tragic thing I read is that El Dorado Festivals is planning to close off another street-- 200 block of S. Jefferson-- and eliminate even more parking. Those struggling stores and restaurants around the courthouse square just got a gut punch when they need all the help they can get for being true local entrepreneurs. As someone said- you limit parking and you limit customers. A new venture should not negatively impact existing businesses.
Movin On

El Dorado, AR

#32 Mar 22, 2014
Anytime you see a U-Haul coming 'into' El Dorado, it's empty.
Claudie Earl

El Dorado, AR

#34 Mar 23, 2014
I have to give the city credit for trying to do _something_ to bring more people and businesses to the area. I think the new convention center is a money pit but, until I can come up with a better idea myself, I'm willing to let them try their ideas.
If you think it was that big of a mistake, vote the bastards out of office. ;)
Max

El Dorado, AR

#35 Mar 23, 2014
I have lived in El Dorado for one year and its hard to believe a city planning commission, city council and mayor would allow this to happen to the taxpayers knowing that it takes convenient parking to draw conferences to an event. To be fair, the conference center is a refreshing, attractive and welcome addition to a part of town that had gotten run down--- but one needs to work on removing the blight and depreciated structures nearby and add to the on site surface parking.
When I transfer out of here in a few years, I hope I can see this unfortunate situation correcting itself.
Watch The Homo Go

El Dorado, AR

#36 Mar 23, 2014
The last 2 comments are the topixFag. Fkngdiot.
well

Chicago, IL

#37 Mar 23, 2014
Who is auditing the expenses to see if they are being legitimately charged? We should determine specifically where the costs are being incurred and by whom.
barb

El Dorado, AR

#38 Mar 23, 2014
[QUOTE who=<quoted text>
Another tragic thing I read is that El Dorado Festivals is planning to close off another street-- 200 block of S. Jefferson-- and eliminate even more parking. Those struggling stores and restaurants around the courthouse square just got a gut punch when they need all the help they can get for being true local entrepreneurs. As someone said- you limit parking and you limit customers. A new venture should not negatively impact existing businesses.[/QUOTE]

Exellent point.
Fou Yuck

Memphis, TN

#39 Mar 24, 2014
Max wrote:
I have lived in El Dorado for one year and its hard to believe a city planning commission, city council and mayor would allow this to happen to the taxpayers knowing that it takes convenient parking to draw conferences to an event. To be fair, the conference center is a refreshing, attractive and welcome addition to a part of town that had gotten run down--- but one needs to work on removing the blight and depreciated structures nearby and add to the on site surface parking.
When I transfer out of here in a few years, I hope I can see this unfortunate situation correcting itself.
You haven't "been here for a year" AND make a determination about a "welcome addition to a part of town that had gotten run down." The conference center has been there for around 3 years already, you lying pieceofshit. Have a nice day!
please not again

Cleburne, TX

#41 Mar 24, 2014
Joel wrote:
Could you post the list please. If it is to long where could I go to view the list. 50 mil. is a lot of money for a small town like el dorado. I would guess that the corporation in town put up the money and not the average joe. There is a long list of projects that were going to put el dorado back on the map but people are still moving away faster then there moving in. Maybe if we could use some of the money to bring in JOBS then people might move back and put money back into el dorado to support your project. NO JOBS NO MONEY TO SUPPORT YOUR PROJECT AND PROJECT FAILS. As for going green it not going to happen anytime soon. Do you drive a car or truck that burns gas. Going green with all but one of the elec. cars means, 70 miles one way and 4 to 8 hrs to recharge. It would take you 18 hrs to round trip 250 miles to little rock and back. You go green but I think I will stay with my gas burner. There is one elec. car that will go appox. 200 miles on one charge and it also has a 1 hr quick charge that will take you appox. 150 more miles.
please not again

El Dorado, AR

#42 Mar 24, 2014
I'm the topixFag. hehehehehehehe. I comment, change name, comment, change name. I will sukieUdikie.
please not again

United States

#43 Mar 24, 2014
please not again wrote:
I'm the topixFag. hehehehehehehe. I comment, change name, comment, change name. I will sukieUdikie.
How big is your mouth. Could you give me a list of your conquest and no farm animals do not count. You should give a time and place so all on topix that are willing can let you get all of the sucking out of your system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Dorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Burning Tires - legal or illegal?? (Jan '12) 6 min Debi Knope 23
Tales from the Arkansas E.R. 2 hr Joey Farnslidd 2
El dorado topix 2 hr Joey Farnslidd 8
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr Reality Check 41,534
Art show? 5 hr EldoMasterBlaster 3
Goverment shutdown 6 hr Mee 4
building Jan 17 Dollar General 3

El Dorado Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance