El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

The El Dorado newspaper recently reported a loss at the conference center and the City (taxpayers will be responsible for ponying up 1/2 of the loss over $300,000 or $26,000.)
As people say, if you limit parking you limit business activity. Many people and organizations will not schedule events here because of the shortage of on site parking. Other conference managers around the state know this and use it against us when recruiting events. The few on site parking spaces are taken by students and employees.

I hope the organization putting together El Dorado Festivals plan to take into consideration the large number of parking spaces required to attract customers to shows. Its ridiculus to jam in more buildings and objects that remove parking. This area of town in order to handle many customers and guests needs more parking-- not less. Businesses left downtown in the 1960's because parking was such an inconvenience-- hence the shopping center, mall and stand alone structures with ample parking (Bookshire- Walmart).
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

You hope our leaders would have learned something from the last time they killed the downtown area.

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

Janis wrote:
The El Dorado newspaper recently reported a loss at the conference center and the City (taxpayers will be responsible for ponying up 1/2 of the loss over $300,000 or $26,000.)
As people say, if you limit parking you limit business activity. Many people and organizations will not schedule events here because of the shortage of on site parking. Other conference managers around the state know this and use it against us when recruiting events. The few on site parking spaces are taken by students and employees.
I hope the organization putting together El Dorado Festivals plan to take into consideration the large number of parking spaces required to attract customers to shows. Its ridiculus to jam in more buildings and objects that remove parking. This area of town in order to handle many customers and guests needs more parking-- not less. Businesses left downtown in the 1960's because parking was such an inconvenience-- hence the shopping center, mall and stand alone structures with ample parking (Bookshire- Walmart).
No,$352,000 was SPENT on the Conference Center in 2013. It actually turned a profit because of the demand for it. The agreement between the college and the city stated that the two would split any costs over $300,000 in a year. Expenses were higher than normal because of maintenance needs. The Conference Center has been very successful and almost always has some activities going on (other than just the usual college business).
Valet

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

This place don't need any more parking. There is plenty parking for no more than is going to come to it. It will always be a joke and cost the tax payers. It's tits on a bore hog, USELESS.
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
No,$352,000 was SPENT on the Conference Center in 2013. It actually turned a profit because of the demand for it. The agreement between the college and the city stated that the two would split any costs over $300,000 in a year. Expenses were higher than normal because of maintenance needs. The Conference Center has been very successful and almost always has some activities going on (other than just the usual college business).
Nice try, but you must have a different definition of profit from the rest of us. The first paragraph of the newspaper article says "The El Dorado Conference Center is spending more money than it's taking in. A lot more." According to the rest of the article, total revenue was $338538.51 and total expenses were $683591.55.
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

Valet wrote:
This place don't need any more parking. There is plenty parking for no more than is going to come to it. It will always be a joke and cost the tax payers. It's tits on a bore hog, USELESS.
There's enough parking for those creating the expenses; there's not enough for those providing the revenue.
Mike Dumas

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Who's idea was this tax payers nightmare anyway? He needs his a$$ kicked
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

The idea was OK. They could have picked a better location.
Yeah

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

well wrote:
The idea was OK. They could have picked a better location.
Shreveport
Markeith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Mike Dumas wrote:
Who's idea was this tax payers nightmare anyway? He needs his a$$ kicked
I am so amazed at the Monday morning quarterbacking. I guess you have a lot better ideas on what El Dorado needs. What are your ideas. Maybe you are one of those that thinks we have all we need her;. if not let's hear it!
sos

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

I am unsure how they can expect events at the center to cover all costs of running it. This is not just used for events then locked up till another event. It is used 5 to 6 days a week by college, people coming and going all day using the facility. This constant use will result in higher utilities and maintenance costs obviously. Think someone should have thought out complete situation before saying city money would be used to pay operating costs for college campus building because that is what it is except when vent is there. The fact we used city money to build this center that is used daily by college should have been enough. We need to get our agencies and commissions busy booking events that will draw more people to town and maybe better events that would include large spectrum of people not just select groups.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

The only big success there so far that I remember had some theme like "outdoors" with lots of vendors offering interesting stuff to buy...

Are there other themes that might do as well? Sports? Trucks? Food? Politics? Religion? Arts? Music? Internet?
well

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

If I recall, the Conference Center was to be a music venue, but the acoustics didn't turn out that well.
More of the vendor fairs might help.
Watch The Homo Go

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

roboblogger2 wrote:
The only big success there so far that I remember had some theme like "outdoors" with lots of vendors offering interesting stuff to buy...
Are there other themes that might do as well? Sports? Trucks? Food? Politics? Religion? Arts? Music? Internet?
For those unaware "roboblogger 2" is the topixFag. Just a tidbit for U. This is also FreakFagFriday, the btch will be on topix ALL day.
Markeith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

roboblogger2 wrote:
What I remember about the "outdoor" show was there wasn't hardly anything outdoor about it. I like ribs but if you want to have an outdoor show get some 4 wheelers, boats, guns, and outdoor accessories. I went inside the building and saw a that crap that didn't have anything to do with outdoors. No fishing, No hunting and Jason D Williams. I wont go back.
Watch The Homo Go

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

Markeith wrote:
<quoted text>
What I remember about the "outdoor" show was there wasn't hardly anything outdoor about it. I like ribs but if you want to have an outdoor show get some 4 wheelers, boats, guns, and outdoor accessories. I went inside the building and saw a that crap that didn't have anything to do with outdoors. No fishing, No hunting and Jason D Williams. I wont go back.
This is theFag answering 'roboblogger 2', his own ignorantAzz self. Talk to yourself dikBreath, U fkingAids infested homosexual, welfare POS. LMAO. How ignorant R U Gooberlips?
Nasty

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

Watch the Homo Go---Queer up
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

well wrote:
If I recall, the Conference Center was to be a music venue, but the acoustics didn't turn out that well.
More of the vendor fairs might help.
Wrong. The conference center was first and foremost meant to be a conference center. As for the acoustics, it was identified as a problem for *any* event that used microphones and speakers, not just music events.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

Janis wrote:
A parking structure *was* planned for in El Dorado Festivals and Events' long range plans, the last time I asked.
Just Sayin

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

sos wrote:
I am unsure how they can expect events at the center to cover all costs of running it. This is not just used for events then locked up till another event. It is used 5 to 6 days a week by college, people coming and going all day using the facility. This constant use will result in higher utilities and maintenance costs obviously. Think someone should have thought out complete situation before saying city money would be used to pay operating costs for college campus building because that is what it is except when vent is there. The fact we used city money to build this center that is used daily by college should have been enough. We need to get our agencies and commissions busy booking events that will draw more people to town and maybe better events that would include large spectrum of people not just select groups.
From the very beginning, the conference center was to serve a dual purpose: host events and to house offices for the college. And from the very beginning, the college had agreed to cover all annual operating deficits up to $300,000 each year, and the city had agreed to split the expenses over $300,000. The situation *was* thought out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the El Dorado Forum right now

Search the El Dorado Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 37 min Read the Headlines 9,796
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 42 min Puppets 29,107
Municipal Auditorium- El Dorado 1 hr City Councils 22
Coach Corey Smith (Jun '09) 2 hr teesha 90
James Jj parker 3 hr Brit 2
Lots of Ugly Guys in Eldo 3 hr Carmen 6
Eldorado , Entire city needs to be cleaned up,! 5 hr Grigori 14
Big Men, Little "problem" 7 hr Duck lover 82
•••
•••
•••
•••

El Dorado Jobs