Low-income residents to receive free Christmas trees

Dozens of the city's low-income families will have Christmas trees this year even though they cannot afford them, thanks to a deal the city made with a commercial Christmas tree grower. Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Kassie

Santee, CA

#1 Nov 28, 2006
That sounds nice and everything, but I think our tax dollars could be better spent. Churches and other charitable groups should be buying the trees. The governmemt is thus forcing me to buy my neighbor a tree but since I work, I also have to buy my own.
An Upset Mother

El Cajon, CA

#2 Dec 11, 2006
You know what, you need to take into account that there are some people that are not working due to medical problems not just because they don't want to.

I am a low income mom. I am still trying to find a way to get a tree for my 3 kids.

Stop thinking about yourself and all the money you have because some of us are not so lucky. This is the season of giving NOT receiving.
Jennifer Weldon

South Lyon, MI

#3 Nov 3, 2007
I'm currently a single mother, who works, and works as hard as I can. I barely make my bills every month, and most months I have to borrow money from people I know just to put gas in my car. I'm worrying every single day about how I can pay my bills and SOMEHOW still buy presents for my children this year. Add to that the price of Christmas trees now?!?!?! I think this is an awesome program. Granted there are people out there who aren't deserving and just milk the system for all it's worth, but I'm not like that. I wish they had a program like this in the city where I live, it would be a tremendous help. There are far more people out there like me, then there are taking advantage of people. Sure it's your tax dollars, it's mine to and I would be proud for some of my money to go to a cause like this. No child should be without a christmas. I think you need to look into the good a program like this could do, and the impact something like this will have on the children.
a single mom

United States

#4 Nov 4, 2007
I am raising 5 kids on my own with NO handouts. I am NOT on any assistance program even though we qualify for many. I will NOT raise my kids to be freeloaders and think others should support them. I work TWO jobs to care for them and would NEVER take money from anyone else to feed MY kids. Thats just not the right thing to do and it's not fair to those who pay taxes. If you can't pay your bills then FIX the problems in your life and don't expect others to pay for your mistakes! Have some pride and self respect for God's sakes! And what are you teaching your kids?
belinda

Londonderry, NH

#5 Nov 15, 2007
im a mother of 8 the youngest 3 and i the soul provider of owr home i work one job have section 8 and work 3 days a week and get paid byweekly its not enough i cant get another job and my husband had a tripple bypass i have not enough money to get a gift or a tree for my children this year can some help . shdwwolf@asdelphia.net
Steve

El Cajon, CA

#6 Nov 15, 2007
An Upset Mother wrote:
You know what, you need to take into account that there are some people that are not working due to medical problems not just because they don't want to.
I am a low income mom. I am still trying to find a way to get a tree for my 3 kids.
Stop thinking about yourself and all the money you have because some of us are not so lucky. This is the season of giving NOT receiving.
I'll get you a tree if you like
RealtorSteve@cox.net
Been there

Vista, CA

#7 Nov 17, 2007
If you can be patient, most grocery stores and other places that sell trees give them away...for free. That's what I did when I was a single mom with three kids and no money. You don't have to rely on other people; you can do it yourself. It's difficult, and I can remember feeling bitter at times because it was, but you know what? My kids learned a lot about being self-sufficient, and so did I, and I'm a lot stronger because of it. You don't have to resort to begging...
Been there

Vista, CA

#8 Nov 17, 2007
Forgot to mention that the giveaways are on Christmas eve, generally - would be a perfect time to bring the tree home, decorate it with paper cutouts the kids made, popcorn on a string, and whatever else you can find to make it your own that's free or around the house. That's how people did it before we all became so spoiled and entitlement minded. And no, I'm not a product of the Depression, I'm 46 years old and have learned the difference between "need" and "want".
Janessa

San Diego, CA

#9 Nov 24, 2007
I honestly started crying reading some of these posts. I am 20 years old and am recently a single mother. My pregnancy was not planned and I was using protection. Life happens, I got pregnant, but I didnt have it in me to take her unborn life.
I am a great mom and I would do anything for my daughter including taking on pubic shame for her to have medi cal and wic. I work my ass off but where I live its not enough.
I feel awful that right now she only has two presents and no tree.
I will be taking a free tree and I will be very grateful. One day when I have enough money I will help others.

Shame on all of you for judging.
MRs Wight

Oceanside, CA

#10 Nov 24, 2007
Look i understand that it might upset you that you have to help but there are some families that just cant buy theirs kids a tree even if they do work how can you get upset cause you are helping out a family in need, Im a mother that is disabled raising two kids on my own the money i get in a month barley makes enough for me to pay bills and maybe get a little food for my home and if someone where to buy me a tree it would be a blessing from that family, but no one is forceing this act of kindness they are asking for it but dont do if it is going to put such a damper on your money i would if i could
MRs W

Oceanside, CA

#11 Nov 24, 2007
Im single mothe of 2 and yet you say you wont ask for hand outs nor would i on till now that im in the situation im in Im a disabled mother and this Dec my 8yr old wont get a birthday and they both wont have a christmas i pay taxes also but how can you put down people that are on assistants you dont know their situation and shouldnt try and belittle anyone ontill you really know what its like when you cant work and are unable to provide for your children a good christmas like i said i have no way of getting my kids anything for xmas and wish someone would help me it dont make me feel anyless of a women to ask now that i cant work do to losing my arm i get wc but hardley am able to afford food at times but whom ever is needing help i pray that they get the help god bless you all
A single Mom

United States

#12 Nov 25, 2007
What a bunch of whiny B.S'ers! I am raising FIVE kids by myself and we DON"T take welfare or handouts! If you can't afford a tree, so what? That's not what Christmas is all about!!!! And if you are so poor as you claim, why would you want a tree instead of food or clothes????? Doesn't make sense does it?
You are all a bunch of "gimmees" and "youowemees" and are teaching your children all wrong! The holidays are about God and family, not getting STUFF! Why don't you stop acting as if people OWE you something and start actually having some self respect and take care of yourself! Go to parades, bake cookies, sing carols, go to free events, attend church, make a tree out of paper,( my kids and I do when we have no money,one year we decorated the broom),make homemade gifts, there are a lot of things you can do and keep your pride too!
Stop being beggars! You think the taxpayers owe you, well they don't. They have their families, too, and should not have to be forced to feed everyone who makes poor choices, or is lazy, or has a crisis every two minutes in their lives. Helping someone for a short time is one thing but the middle class in this country are drowning and the country is in trouble economically and most people are worried about the future. It is not fair to expect others to take care of you! Get away from the TV and help yourselves! Teach your children independence! And how to be motivated and creative! Mine are! And if you are so poor, how did you get a computer to type here? Christmas doesn't belong to the rich or middle class! It belongs to everyone! It isn't about STUFF! It's about JESUS! And HE doesn't charge a thing!
Stop whining about your life and start seeing the positive in it. You live in the U.S. and that is something to really be grateful for. You have your kids? Now you have that to be grateful for! You are breathing and able to write on this site? GOOD! Then write a book or take a college class online! Not living on the streets? Then you are blessed. STOP BAWLING AND START YOUR LIFE ON A BETTER ROAD! GO!
harleymama

San Diego, CA

#13 Nov 26, 2007
Janessa wrote:
I honestly started crying reading some of these posts. I am 20 years old and am recently a single mother. My pregnancy was not planned and I was using protection. Life happens, I got pregnant, but I didnt have it in me to take her unborn life.
I am a great mom and I would do anything for my daughter including taking on pubic shame for her to have medi cal and wic. I work my ass off but where I live its not enough.
I feel awful that right now she only has two presents and no tree.
I will be taking a free tree and I will be very grateful. One day when I have enough money I will help others.
Shame on all of you for judging.
Janessa,
Keep your chin up girl. I understand you quite well. I am a single mom and now look at, with delight, at raising my grandkids. You just keep going and God will bless you. It is tough, but it makes you stronger and your kids will learn about life the good way. El Cajon is a tough place to raise kids.
Oriah_lee

Calgary, Canada

#14 Nov 27, 2007
Hi All
Peace, Love, Joy, that is what the holidays are about... sharing what we have to make someone's day just a bit brighter...

I am a single mom, 44 years old, researching a paper on poverty and obesity. I stumbled on this web site and I had to stop and write.
To those who are supportive... that is great, but to those of you, the ones with chips on your shoulder, or harsh words for your fellow single parents, you might want to rethink your position. We aren't supposed to beat each other up! The reason there are "government handouts" as some of you put it, is because we live in a capitalist society where there are a few very very wealthy individuals and a "bunch" of not wealthy people. These programs are there because they need to be. If employers had adequate health care, respected the needs of families, and paid decent wages, there would never again be a "Low-income" label for anyone. The is no way a parent making minimum wage can support their family without government subsidies. The government is trying to balance a scale created by capitalist greed. The greed of the Rich...
If you have any further comments or want information e-mail oriah_lee@hotmail.com

Calgary, Canada
Single Mom

United States

#15 Nov 27, 2007
More nonsense! What a load of cr*p! How dare you tell these single mothers that the government owes them! What kind of "victim mentality" horsesh*t are you trying to feed them? They don't need cradle to grave care and handouts from the government, they need educations to better themselves! WHY would you give them this "capitalist society" BS when that's the very thing that gives them opportunity? And how can you say they need taking care of because they can't do it themselves? They are not babies! These should be intelligent, strong, independent women, not whiny "gimmee" girls who think their only happiness is tied to being taken care of and getting handouts and begging! If your employer treats you badly, change jobs, get better training, march, protest, file a lawsuit, anything but don't act like a "victim". Do SOMETHING, anything, but don't lose your self respect or pride! Hold your head up and not your hand out! Don't live on your knees! You are not a weak, pathetic, mindless, helpless victim unless you choose to be. Start a organization of other single moms to encourage each other. And stop blaming others for being successful at what they achieved! KUDOS to them! If they are smart and hard working, well, good for them. BUT they don't OWE you! They pay their taxes and owe their families not yours! They didn't make your children, you did. They did not make mine and only I take care of them by working TWO jobs! We don't BEG from anyone!
To pay for this years Christmas costs we will make cookies and sell them and lemonade at our garage sales and clean neighbors yards and babysit the neighbors kids. NO freebees! We also do volunteering and caring for others!
ANYONE that can think and move can come up with ways to better themselves! The world is better off if people THINK and WORK and get CREATIVE instead of whine and claim that are helpless! You are NOT! And their children are better off if they learn about how important love, peace, caring and helping others is instead of thinking their happiness depends on getting "things" from the store especially as handouts! STOP this victim mentality and start making your life better! The world is full of success stories of people who turned their life around and made their life better by being creative. These women on this site need to hear that! They are not stupid or helpless. They can do anything they want to if they try and believe in themselves! I believe in my self and I believe in them! DO IT!!!
Oriah_lee

Calgary, Canada

#16 Nov 27, 2007
It sounds to me like you have some very strong opinions. That is great. What I am saying is that when people are doing the best that they can, what ever that maybe, there are resources to assist people to help themselves until they are in a place to do it on their own.
I agree that people can change jobs for better benefits, but that isn't always possible, and someone working a full-time minimum wage job who is a single parent, may be going to school part-time and need not add guild to their plate for accepting health benefits, or a christmas tree, of food stamps, or what ever is offered. Your anger is not about a Christmas tree, its about someone getting something that 'You' don't feel they are entitled to, or deserve.
In the spirit of Christ we are to do for the least of our brothers as we would have done unto us.
Single mom, in university, Calgary, Canada
Single Mom wrote:
More nonsense! What a load of cr*p! How dare you tell these single mothers that the government owes them! What kind of "victim mentality" horsesh*t are you trying to feed them? They don't need cradle to grave care and handouts from the government, they need educations to better themselves! WHY would you give them this "capitalist society" BS when that's the very thing that gives them opportunity? And how can you say they need taking care of because they can't do it themselves? They are not babies! These should be intelligent, strong, independent women, not whiny "gimmee" girls who think their only happiness is tied to being taken care of and getting handouts and begging! If your employer treats you badly, change jobs, get better training, march, protest, file a lawsuit, anything but don't act like a "victim". Do SOMETHING, anything, but don't lose your self respect or pride! Hold your head up and not your hand out! Don't live on your knees! You are not a weak, pathetic, mindless, helpless victim unless you choose to be. Start a organization of other single moms to encourage each other. And stop blaming others for being successful at what they achieved! KUDOS to them! If they are smart and hard working, well, good for them. BUT they don't OWE you! They pay their taxes and owe their families not yours! They didn't make your children, you did. They did not make mine and only I take care of them by working TWO jobs! We don't BEG from anyone!
To pay for this years Christmas costs we will make cookies and sell them and lemonade at our garage sales and clean neighbors yards and babysit the neighbors kids. NO freebees! We also do volunteering and caring for others!
ANYONE that can think and move can come up with ways to better themselves! The world is better off if people THINK and WORK and get CREATIVE instead of whine and claim that are helpless! You are NOT! And their children are better off if they learn about how important love, peace, caring and helping others is instead of thinking their happiness depends on getting "things" from the store especially as handouts! STOP this victim mentality and start making your life better! The world is full of success stories of people who turned their life around and made their life better by being creative. These women on this site need to hear that! They are not stupid or helpless. They can do anything they want to if they try and believe in themselves! I believe in my self and I believe in them! DO IT!!!
deppressed mom

San Marcos, CA

#17 Nov 27, 2007
im stuggling just 2 keep food on table 4 my 3 kids,i was wondering if any 1 knows where i can get a free christmas,my kids would really appriciate it, especially my 10yr old girl.thanks,a deppressed mom..ps.i live near college area.
single mom

United States

#18 Nov 28, 2007
Angry? No. Shocked, appalled, and horrified? YES, at you, for suggesting theses women live on their bellies with a tin cup in their hands and get handouts from society. Welfare is degrading and demeaning and you should be ashamed of yourself for telling these women they should live like that because you have such a hatred for the rich. You write of "capitalist greed" and the "greed of the rich" and act as if they owe you even above what they pay in taxes but they don't. They work and have done well and so can the women on this site. These wealthy often give to charities and pay the majority of the taxes. Leave them alone and become wealthy yourself. The libraries are filled with books on how to be a success and the personal stories of women who did well. We need the women on this site to see they can do it too! THEY can find success in our great capitalist society and live a life of dignity and financial security. Like I wrote before, help for a short time is one thing but it is ridiculous to expect handouts year after year and not be able to care for your own family. These women need to invent, create, write, etc. their way to the top! They can succeed! They can be the next success story!
You write of Christ but you want to celebrate his day of birth by getting freebees. Try church instead. I think that's the whole point of Christmas, don't you? This whole materialistic thing has gotten out of control. Try God and love instead for Christmas this year and I bet you'll feel a lot better. Maybe you won't be so angry at "capitalist society" if you stop valuing things and instead start valuing people.
And to the women on this site; I, too, am a single mom and I know it is hard, but you will be okay and survive. Hang in there and keep going. I have FIVE children I feed each day and work two jobs to do it. It is tough but I also am going to school so our life is better someday. I go to garage sales each week and to thrift stores for their sales. It is hard but can be done! You will make it! You can achieve and become the woman you want to be and live the life you dream of! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't or that you need to be a beggar. You are smart and talented and hold endless possibilities in you and you can be anything you want to be if you'll just believe in yourself and begin today on the road to success. There are many colleges and support groups for those who need advice on how to start. Pick up the phone or look on the internet and start looking!
Make that your Christmas gift to yourself and your family! Start a wonderful new beginning! Be the next success story to inspire the world! YOU CAN DO IT! NOW BEGIN !!!!!!! God bless you !
ana

Elizabeth, NJ

#19 Nov 30, 2007
An Upset Mother wrote:
you are so wrong i ahve been down that dusty road
its ok to give or receive 3 children and no christmass tree where is your christmas spirt?
Kate618

Walkersville, MD

#20 Nov 30, 2007
How would you feel if you were a single parent working as hard as you could to make ends meet???Trying to get a christmas tree is very hard to squeeze in on a low budget. My girls would love a christmas tree this year but I just cant afford it. And your not paying for your neighbor to get a tree!!! Not every dime of your paycheck goes to those less fortunate!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Cajon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US stocks start lower 17 hr Anthony V 104
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 17 hr Anthony V 27
pune india Dec 13 sudhir1984 2
For Google's self-driving cars, learning to dea... Dec 12 Truth 6
INNOCENT and CONVICTED (Dec '13) Dec 12 Ann Talavera 2
24 7 emergency locksmith (Dec '11) Dec 12 Dom Boyd 18
2 Teenagers Stabbed In El Cajon (May '06) Dec 11 i was there 331

Flash Flood Watch for San Diego County was issued at December 17 at 9:43AM PST

El Cajon Dating
Find my Match